• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sean Davis 3rd Forrest Gump moment

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
LOVED that Timmons hit that knocked a ball lose. Davis' TD was called back by a penalty though. On who/what?

McCullers slapped the QBs helmet after the pass trying to hit the throwing arm, he just got there a second too late

FordFairLane

Reaction score
My favorite part is coach, like me, was not a fan of Burns. I felt Burns was a second round pick and the Steelers **** the bed not taking that trade with Denver and then either taking Burns or Myles Jack (my pick) and having that extra 3rd rounder to help build depth. Coach I believe had Burns as a 3rd round pick but all of a sudden is on his bandwagon because he's doing well. Davis was forced to play right away and Burns got the luxury of sitting, watching, and getting more comfortable with the defense. I would say Burns might be ahead of Davis when it comes to performance so far but Davis definitely has come a very long way. I think keeping him at safety and getting that nickel CB BS out of the playbook has benefited a ton. Honestly, the way our safeties have been playing I wouldn't mind seeing Davis start over Golden or hell even over Mitchell and then have Dangerfield start for Golden.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Davis has a good chance of being the Steelers rookie of the year. I wonder whos head will implode if that happens?

Oh, it won't happen...I mean head exploding, that is. There will just be more random thoughts of how much more better he could be and there are better players than him.

Artie probably will get team ROY most likely....

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Wtf coach. To be fair, the TD the browns scored was on Burns.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Steeler Nation mobile app

the quote I inserted was from Steeler Depot.

Like I said, with Golden in decline, and Dangerfield and Thomas hurt, why not play Davis now?

Just please stop dropping interceptions and missing tackles that lead to scores or big plays that lead to scores. It that too much to ask?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

Like I said, with Golden in decline, and Dangerfield and Thomas hurt, why not play Davis now?

Just please stop dropping interceptions and missing tackles that lead to scores or big plays that lead to scores. It that too much to ask?
Davis promotion has nothing to do with injuries he has earned his playing time by playing well in practice

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Bottom line on Davis and Burns, they're rookies. We traditionally have not seen our rookies outside of OLBs play much in this defense. The lack of depth and injuries has forced our hand. This defense does not have the dominant front 7 of Steelers past defenses. We have been lacking miserably at both OLB positions with Jarvis not performing up to a first round pick and Dupree out hurt. Losing Heyward has also taxed our defense in ways we are not accustomed to seeing out there. When you look at Shamarko v Davis, you can see Davis is going to stick around and be on the field as a starter in the future. Shamarko is a special teamer at best.

Looking to next season, if Golson can ever get and STAY healthy, we've got something to look forward to with Burns and Golson. I think we'll take another CB early in this draft after we address OLB.

Wheaton was IMO a walk free agent. With his season lost to a shoulder injury, he may be available on the cheap for a short term contract. I haven't been the biggest fan of Wheaton but if we can get a deal on him you take it.

Coates has shown some flashes this year, he just needs those broken fingers to heal. The return of Martavis will be huge for our offense. Stretching the field with bombs allows AB so much more space to work. Speaking of AB, he's going to get his new contract. Le'Veon will also get himself a new contract.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

Coach, other than the 7 Davis missed in first 2 games, how many tackles has Davis missed in the last 8 weeks? I haven't seen the defense charting for last game, but he hasn't missed any tackles since the end of September.

Dropping interceptions (plural)?. He has one drop pass for INT recorded.

You are going to blame one player for all those missed tackles that led to scores and say it was Davis. Even more so, big plays that lead to scores. And save your breath if you say the face mask penalty on Witten. That wasn't the reason we lost that game. Blown assignments on every Elliot run before and after that penalty cost us that game.

Quit ignoring the facts, "is that too much to ask"?

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited:

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Coach's skepticism surpasses Lieutenant Dan's

images

"You call this a 2nd rounder?!!!"

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Coach, other than the 7 Davis missed in first 2 games, how many tackles has Davis missed in the last 8 weeks? I haven't seen the defense charting for last game, but he hasn't missed any tackles since the end of September.

You are going to blame one player for all those missed tackles that led to scores and say it was Davis. Even more so, big plays that lead to scores. And save your breath if you say the face mask penalty on Witten. That wasn't the reason we lost that game. Blown assignments on every Elliot run before and after that penalty cost us that game.

for coach? why yes, yes it is....

skialta

Reaction score
Definite forest Gump moment right there

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
If he where a undrated guy that would have beeN great but he was a 2 nd rounder

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Davis sure as hell didn't miss the touchdown saving tackle on the QB yesterday. He really laid the wood on that play.

Yeah, Davis was all over the field making plays. I think he, Burns, and Hargrave look to be the future for the defense. Also, putting hargrave at his natural position at least in the terms of rushing the passer looks to improve his value on the team. I said it since the beginning put Big Dan in on running downs and Hargrave in on passing downs. This has the make of a huge draft. If those three become starters and maybe stars and then we get anything from Hawkins, and if Ayers and dirty red can become backups and special teams players this would be the best draft since 2002 when we got 5 starters including Keisel and Foote.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, Davis was all over the field making plays. I think he, Burns, and Hargrave look to be the future for the defense. Also, putting hargrave at his natural position at least in the terms of rushing the passer looks to improve his value on the team. I said it since the beginning put Big Dan in on running downs and Hargrave in on passing downs. This has the make of a huge draft. If those three become starters and maybe stars and then we get anything from Hawkins, and if Ayers and dirty red can become backups and special teams players this would be the best draft since 2002 when we got 5 starters including Keisel and Foote.

Didn't they already become starters? Now they just have to become stars.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Steeler Nation mobile app

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Wrong he has two interceptions dropped. Are you watching the games? It seems you ignore my facts, then come up with a but coach. Save it.

Davis is starting now, and he's not in the action often, or making plays, which is sort of mystifying.

He was the bonehead that gave Dallas a chance on that stupid flag, and he looks to be the man who gave up the lone touchdown vs the Colts.

It is too much to admit his mistakes greatly outweigh his positive plays?

Burns is doing well. Hargrave seems to be coming into this own. Still waiting on Davis...and for the record, I think he should start.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Is it too much to admit his touchdown saving tackle on a drive that ended in zero points thanks to his efforts?

Obviously it is. Smh. How about his huge stop on Elliot on 3rd and 1. Has he made mistakes yes. Has he made plays yes. Not hard to admit unless you have a agenda.

Coach calling someone out for ignoring facts that's funny

And asking someone else if they are watching games lol priceless

Last edited:

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
The only thing I care to see in rookies is the ability to make game changing plays, and improvement over the year. All our rookies have done that.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Davis is going to be a starter for a long time to come. If you go back and watch the last 2 games the guy is is playing well. I am looking forward to all 3 defensive rookies to grow into outstanding players

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Davis is progressing very nicely. Now we need to replace Mitchell and much will be fixed.

Salute the nation

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Wrong he has two interceptions dropped. Are you watching the games? It seems you ignore my facts, then come up with a but coach. Save it.

Davis is starting now, and he's not in the action often, or making plays, which is sort of mystifying.

He was the bonehead that gave Dallas a chance on that stupid flag, and he looks to be the man who gave up the lone touchdown vs the Colts.

It is too much to admit his mistakes greatly outweigh his positive plays?

Burns is doing well. Hargrave seems to be coming into this own. Still waiting on Davis...and for the record, I think he should start.

Please list the play and time on clock where he dropped the purported 2nd interception.

Coach ignoring facts and ignoring an opinion are two different things. You seem to not be able to differentiate between the two. Provide your facts, not your biased observation.

Two tackles at the end of that first goal line stand. One of which was a touchdown saving stop isn't "making plays"? You proving yourself you probably, at least, don't watch all of the games. In fact you've said before you don't watch games.

Glad you recognize Burns is doing well, for a rookie. I don't see you pointing out his missed tackles though, but of course how could you with the magnifying glass you have on Davis.

Also glad you think Davis should start, since...well, he already is. What changed your mind? As you posted previously the coaches agreed with you on his poor play since he was "benched", or "phased out".

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Coach and what was Golden doing besides regressing on the field?

When it comes to head coaching decisions. I am on them for making NO changes not for when they do, because it is needed.

And let us not sugar coat it changes were needed on D. Maybe to the point that the roster can't fix even the changes that are needed.

Davis and Hargrave and Burns will have good and bad days going forward. But when your D is a flaming pile of ****, you have to take your chances with youth a little more.

Davis is a capable SS, that is where he needs to stay though. He will continue to get better. I strongly believe that. Hopefully more sooner than later.

Besides being coached up with practice and tape review, not sure there is other changes that can be made.

You live or die with this model in place now IMO. Hopefully increased playing time down the home stretch will help fine tune the newbies.

For this year these things should really be zoomed in.

1 Timmons should be in coverage 0 percent of the time, and I mean it never.
2 Jarvis Jones should glue to the bench, however you can keep that *** riding it. Do it.
3 Bud Dupree should slowly get more reps, game to game.
4 Hargrave and Tuitt should be given every opportunity to rush the passer. That means keeping Hargrave at DE over NT.
5 Butler should do the opposite of what he has been doing. Blitz when he thinks he shouldn't. And vice versa. Because that man seems to need some help out there with his decision making. That man has the D at times looking like the football version of the Bad News Bears.