• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sean Davis 3rd Forrest Gump moment

P

POP

Davis and Burns are both improving. Davis is making some impactful tackles. It's a trend. Burns is providing some good coverage. And Hargraves looks like a keeper too. We most likely hit on our 1st 3 draft picks. And the other 5 picks are not known busts - all still have potential to improve the team.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Manning is not a bad quarterback. In fact, he is a very good quarterback. The Steelers defensive backs made him look bad, because they had an excellent game. You cannot simply dismiss the effort by the defensive backs, including Davis, by saying that the quarterback played poorly.

Manning played poorly because of how well the defense played.

He did not look good to me and is an average NFL QB these days.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
On that note? More like, I will no longer respond on this thread because I have no facts to objectively prove my view of issues on Davis' in college and during the first 8 games of his pro career. Good try but hopefully you've gained a better understanding on how make a statement and provide qualitative facts to support your opinion. You make yourself a better poster when you do.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Coming from a guy who said I would not reply, your batting average is not so good.

Davis is playing better. He was awful beforehand, and that seems like something you had issues admitting.

At this point, Davis is playing better ( Vs bad QB's ). But Ziggy Hood and even Jarvis Jones strung together a few decent games too. Wait and see.

bmoritz

Reaction score
Coach, with all due respect, your stuborness on this issue is making you look foolish. Why are you so dead set against Davis? For a rookie, he's playing outstanding. Did he kick your dog or something?

P

POP

Coach, with all due respect, your stuborness on this issue is making you look foolish. Why are you so dead set against Davis? For a rookie, he's playing outstanding. Did he kick your dog or something?

It does seem like Davis maybe stole his girl and peed in his Cheerios. :lol:

But I see both sides here: 1.) Most draft sources had Davis rated as a 3rd round pick or lower. Coach was even trying to sell him being more like a 5th rounder, as that is where Dallas had him on their board - take that for whatever you wish.

2.) Most analysts considered Davis very, very "raw."

3.) Davis did start off as advertised, missing assignments and tackles all over the field; one could assert that is common for rookie DBs.

4.) Coach even admits - probably painfully - that Davis has improved, but is still not holding out hope that his career could still be crappy.

I see all arrows pointing up for Davis right now. His strengths were supposed to be athleticism and splash plays. He is at least starting to show some of that. He has made some key tackles for losses the last few games.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Also if Beckham isn't a very good receiver, then AB must suck too:

Rk Player Team Pos Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st 1st% FUM
1 Julio Jones ATL WR 72 1,253 17.4 104.4 75T 5 24 5 55 76.4 0
2 Mike Evans TB WR 76 1,058 13.9 88.2 45T 10 13 1 64 84.2 0
3 Antonio Brown PIT WR 88 1,052 12.0 87.7 51 11 17 2 54 61.4 0
4 Odell BeckhamNYGWR 75 1,015 13.5 84.6 75T 8 14 5 47 62.7 2

some people just talk their agenda without even checking facts/stats

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
It looked to me that Burns got his head across the tackler, which is not a block in the back, but a poor foul call.

I'm starting to think that Mitchell's play is improving because Davis and Burns are getting stronger. I was hoping for it to be the other way around since, he's a high priced vet, but he obviously needs help to succeed in the secondary, and he is a very good piece of that secondary when the rest of the young secondary is doing their jobs well.

Do remember that he's not even that high priced as some think, he's the 24th best paid safety in the league at an exact 5M average. Mathieu averages 12M per season, try chewing on that!

If Mitchell keeps playing at this level for the rest of his contract (2 more years) he'll be worth every penny

Source http://overthecap.com/position/safety/

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Davis is playing better. He was awful beforehand, and that seems like something you had issues admitting.

He is playing well because he is now playing safety, rather than slot corner - a task he took on as a rookie due to injuries.

He is now playing his genuine position and I am very encouraged. He was pretty damn good yesterday.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He did not look good to me ...

That's my point, Coach. Manning is an accomplished, successful NFL quarterback who has thrown for 47,284 yards and 316 TD's. He has also gone 8-3 in the playoffs, with 17 TD's and 8 picks.

His struggles yesterday did not pop out of a genie's bottle; he struggled because the Steelers played very well and made him look bad.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Coming from a guy who said I would not reply, your batting average is not so good.

At this point, Davis is playing better ( Vs bad QB's ). But Ziggy Hood and even Jarvis Jones strung together a few decent games too. Wait and see.

Coach, I never said you wouldn't reply, not in this thread. You have consistently ignored the facts, and will continue to do so until this kid ends up failing. You can't even admit you were wrong on a future HOF safety, so your judgement is questioned. Even now, you continue to say Davis was "awful beforehand" when as a statement it was a microcosm of all the DBs during the first few games. All the players, vets too, missed tackles, blown assignments, players trying to do too much rather than perform their own jobs. I admit there was poor play from ALL the DBs during the first couple games, not singularity to Davis. Until the roles were defined, the DBs started settling down. Let me remind that YOU even opined the coaches had "agreed with you" on Davis being "benched". A ludicrous statement not only from a factual standpoint but from an observational one since you provided no proof to it.

Now you want to say it's due to QB play, and bring in 1st round players as a barometer to Davis play? Yes we will "wait and see". Waiting for you to keep creating nonsensical opinions.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Coach, I never said you wouldn't reply, not in this thread. You have consistently ignored the facts, and will continue to do so until this kid ends up failing. You can't even admit you were wrong on a future HOF safety, so your judgement is questioned. Even now, you continue to say Davis was "awful beforehand" when as a statement it was a microcosm of all the DBs during the first few games. All the players, vets too, missed tackles, blown assignments, players trying to do too much rather than perform their own jobs. I admit there was poor play from ALL the DBs during the first couple games, not singularity to Davis. Until the roles were defined, the DBs started settling down. Let me remind that YOU even opined the coaches had "agreed with you" on Davis being "benched". A ludicrous statement not only from a factual standpoint but from an observational one since you provided no proof to it.

Now you want to say it's due to QB play, and bring in 1st round players as a barometer to Davis play? Yes we will "wait and see". Waiting for you to keep creating nonsensical opinions.

don't worry, don't think anyone here really agrees with or cares for his superior video analysis of talent at the safety position. Especially when he just pushes an agenda that has no basis to start with

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

I think you are way off here. Did both of the high draft picks have their ups and downs? yes. But neither showed awful.

Your debate is resembling a fisherman's small fish story. It grows as he tells it.

I do agree with some things you say here and there. Just feel you are way off with this one.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding comments on Davis not grabbing a pick in the end zone ...

That was certainly NOT an easy pick. Manning threw a ******* piss-missile that whizzed past the receiver without him being close to catching the ball. Meanwhile, one and only one player had a chance to catch the thing - Davis. He could not get the pick because the ball was moving 60 mph as it rocketed past.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
some people just talk their agenda without even checking facts/stats

That is the case for all forums...

Back on topic, I will admit Davis is playing better and has been given more playing time than Polamalu as a rookie. I'm not saying he'll be better, but if you compare their rookie seasons, It's not even close. Davis is on top. I remember the game against the rams when Pola jumped the route and somehow the ball went through him for a TD. Weirdest play, and one Davis would have been lambasted for if it happened to him.

P

POP

I really doubt Davis is the next Polamalu, or even the next Lake, for that matter. I would settle for the next Chris Hope, to be honest. If shows more of the same - key tackle for no gain on crucial plays - I be happy with the pick. He already appears better than what Coach predicted. And Burns is appearing to be looking like a promising player as well.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I really doubt Davis is the next Polamalu, or even the next Lake, for that matter. I would settle for the next Chris Hope, to be honest. If shows more of the same - key tackle for no gain on crucial plays - I be happy with the pick. He already appears better than what Coach predicted. And Burns is appearing to be looking like a promising player as well.

Yes, he has been better lately vs. some rally bad offenses. Hood and J Jones had a few good games in a row too Just saying. The real question is does he live up to the status of a 2nd round pick, like say Bell Tuitt or Gilbert? Or is he more like the next Adams, The truth might be somewhere in-between.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
yes, he has been better lately vs. Some rally bad offenses. Hood and j jones had a few good games in a row too just saying. The real question is does he live up to the status of a 2nd round pick, like say bell tuitt or gilbert? Or is he more like the next adams, the truth might be somewhere in-between.

u-n-f-u-c-k-i-n-g real

LeXX75

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, he has been better lately vs. some rally bad offenses. Hood and J Jones had a few good games in a row too Just saying. The real question is does he live up to the status of a 2nd round pick, like say Bell Tuitt or Gilbert? Or is he more like the next Adams, The truth might be somewhere in-between.

Would he not look worse against bad offenses since he would have less changes to make plays?

mdk2

Reaction score

I would gladly take a Chris Hope type. I think he's a lot more athletic and faster than Hope was though. I don't think we'll see a Polamalu type player for a long time, maybe never again. However, he is capable of making big plays for the defense which is what we're in need of defensively.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
PFF also released their ‘Team of the Week’ yesterday, and, with*Sam Monson*penning the piece, once again, two players for the Steelers made it. Pouncey did not, as Monson awarded the center position to Falcons—and former Browns—center*Alex Mack, but Harrison was a repeat representative.

In fact, the Steelers had two representatives for the defensive side of the ball this time around, as the PFF writer also awarded one of two safety positions to Pittsburgh rookie second-round draft pick*Sean Davis, who recorded his first interception in the game. He was, I believe, one of three rookies to make the list, including Ravens cornerback*Tavon Young.

On Harrison, whom PFF awarded at grade of 89.5 for his performance against the Giants, Monson wrote that he “is still the team’s best edge defender, and his seven total QB pressures against the Giants were three more than the tally the rest of Pittsburgh’s four OLBs managed to put together combined”.

That, I am assuming, may not even include the play in which he drew a holding call in the end zone to produce a safety, nor does it account for the false start that he drew. It was clear that his production in this game went far beyond the stat sheet, which shows just two tackles, and one sack.

As for the young starter, Monson writes that “Sean Davis has had a tough rookie campaign for the Steelers, but he was excellent this week against the Giants, primarily playing deep off the ball at safety”. Davis tied for the team lead in tackles during the game in addition to recording an interception.

Neither Harrison nor Davis entered the 2016 season as starters—or at least, not starters in the positions that they are currently playing, since Davis was actually early in the year working as the slot cornerback—so that adds a bit of an interesting dimension to the fact that both of them managed to make a ‘Team of the Week’ List.

Harrison has recorded five sacks in his past five games, all since the bye week, including one each in his past three games, but he only moved into the ‘starting’ role over the course of the past three games, after the Steelers defense gave up a game-winning touchdown with under a minute to play against the Cowboys.

Davis also entered the starting lineup on a full-time basis at the same time, if memory serves, and this appears to be the defense that the Steelers are going to carry out through the remainder of the season. it has produced inarguably their best three-game stretch of the season.

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...-defenders-represent-steelers-pffs-team-week/

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
u-n-f-u-c-k-i-n-g real
I agree. How many frigging second round busts has this team had. Kid looks like a solid starter. Star? Who knows. But even the word star even mentioned. He has the physical tangibles to be special. If he puts in the work, who knows.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Davis is better NOW. He got an interception, after dropping his first two easy chances and failing to convert on a tougher third. Eli was awful, and we played a lot of bad QB's lately...so better yes, but vs. whom?

I did notice Davis is often deployed far back.

I have not seen him isolated in coverage for a while, but I do think he has shown enough lately to be the starter, and with Golden and Thomas as the other two options, that's a good thing.

And on that note, I'm pretty much done replying to this thread, but if bumped and choose to reply I will say Davis had issues in the areas I was harping on in college and in his first 8 or same games as a pro.

If he can do it vs the better QB's, TE' and WR's, then I'll be happy.

Davis and Burns are both improving. Davis is making some impactful tackles. It's a trend. Burns is providing some good coverage. And Hargraves looks like a keeper too. We most likely hit on our 1st 3 draft picks. And the other 5 picks are not known busts - all still have potential to improve the team.

Hidden praise to Coach Tomlin and Mr. Colbert - nice!!!

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Hidden praise to Coach Tomlin and Mr. Colbert - nice!!!

Hey, Tomlin is 1 win away from 100 wins. That would mean a bit more if Lewis didn't have 116 wins. Better hidden praise?

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Davis is better NOW. He got an interception, after dropping his first two easy chances and failing to convert on a tougher third. Eli was awful, and we played a lot of bad QB's lately...so better yes, but vs. whom?

I did notice Davis is often deployed far back.

I have not seen him isolated in coverage for a while, but I do think he has shown enough lately to be the starter, and with Golden and Thomas as the other two options, that's a good thing.

And on that note, I'm pretty much done replying to this thread, but if bumped and choose to reply I will say Davis had issues in the areas I was harping on in college and in his first 8 or same games as a pro.

If he can do it vs the better QB's, TE' and WR's, then I'll be happy.

So, good plays are only rated against the good teams that we play??? You really need a drink...