• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sean Davis 3rd Forrest Gump moment

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Davis, who was the Steelers only defensive player to play every snap Thursday night against the Colts, made a touchdown-saving tackle in the game on Indianapolis quarterback Scott Tolzien late in the first half. Tomlin was sure to point that play out after the game

“One instance, Sean Davis – the quarterback was scrambling – he made the definitive decision to come out of coverage and make a tackle,” Tomlin said.

That tackle by Davis on Tolzien came on a 3rd and goal play and the Steelers defense ultimately stood strong on the ensuing 4th and goal play. Lost in that red zone stand was Davis stuffing Colts running back Frank Gore on 1st and goal from the Pittsburgh 2-yard-line.

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...op-defensive-rookies-im-excited-theyre-going/

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Coach and what was Golden doing besides regressing on the field?

When it comes to head coaching decisions. I am on them for making NO changes not for when they do, because it is needed.

And let us not sugar coat it changes were needed on D. Maybe to the point that the roster can't fix even the changes that are needed.

Davis and Hargrave and Burns will have good and bad days going forward. But when your D is a flaming pile of ****, you have to take your chances with youth a little more.

Davis is a capable SS, that is where he needs to stay though. He will continue to get better. I strongly believe that. Hopefully more sooner than later.

Besides being coached up with practice and tape review, not sure there is other changes that can be made.

You live or die with this model in place now IMO. Hopefully increased playing time down the home stretch will help fine tune the newbies.

For this year these things should really be zoomed in.

1 Timmons should be in coverage 0 percent of the time, and I mean it never.
2 Jarvis Jones should glue to the bench, however you can keep that *** riding it. Do it.
3 Bud Dupree should slowly get more reps, game to game.
4 Hargrave and Tuitt should be given every opportunity to rush the passer. That means keeping Hargrave at DE over NT.
5 Butler should do the opposite of what he has been doing. Blitz when he thinks he shouldn't. And vice versa. Because that man seems to need some help out there with his decision making. That man has the D at times looking like the football version of the Bad News Bears.

1) dead on, keep LT out of coverage...and use him more at ROLB stacked over Harrison with hand on the ground. That formation was providing needed pressure.
2) the only time JJ should sniff the field is to spell Harrison, let James go as much as he can. I would possibly explore the possibility of JJ as a sub package MLB to utilize his coverage ability (2nd best coverage backer we have) and only rush him on stunts to get him in clean. He really struggles to get off blocks.
3)yes
4)yes
5)yes

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
1) dead on, keep LT out of coverage...and use him more at ROLB stacked over Harrison with hand on the ground. That formation was providing needed pressure.
2) the only time JJ should sniff the field is to spell Harrison, let James go as much as he can. I would possibly explore the possibility of JJ as a sub package MLB to utilize his coverage ability (2nd best coverage backer we have) and only rush him on stunts to get him in clean. He really struggles to get off blocks.
3)yes
4)yes
5)yes

I don't want even that. You have Moats and Chickillo, rotate them in. Especially on passing downs and third and shorts. He isn't quick enough to get to the passer, and in the run game he gets ragdolled to the side more often than not.

I would even go as far to say when the injured get healthier, make him a game day inactive.........

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Davis played an exceptional game yesterday. He had some monster tackles at the LOS and covered well. I feel like the two young bucks in the secondary are vastly improved from the start of the season. Now if we can get Dupree going up front and hitting QBs its going to make our secondary even better.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
They both did, Davis with at least 7 tackles, 4 solo. It was interesting to see a rookie getting into OBJ head. Makes you wonder how long OBJ will last in this league.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited:

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Davis played well as did Artie. Burns is going to be a very good corner. His instincts and closing speed are excellent.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Davis and Burns look to be the future at CB and safety so if we can lock Cockrell up and find a replacement for Mitchell in a year or two our secondary will be awesome. Our D-line is pretty stacked too. Our weakness (ironically) is our four first round pick LB's. Shazier and Timmons are good but Dupree and JJ have vastly under performed. I still have hopes for Dupree but if I am the Steelers I do look to spend a top 3 round pick on an OLB.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
y'all are idiots. if Davis had knocked that INT down instead of picking it off, we'd have had better field position. Then Burns commits a blatant block in the back and you have to wonder why he fell to us, and why we drafted someone who lacks football intelligence.

right, Coach?

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Davis has improved more than Burns, BUT the interception on 4th down was a big bo bo . Either he was not smart enough to see the down or coaching has been lacking on football smarts.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So I was watching the game with the sound off, why was Davis' run back of the interception waived off exactly?

I didn't see him hit the ground and get touched. He brought it waaaay out. I didn't see why it was brought all the way back to the 3.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
So I was watching the game with the sound off, why was Davis' run back of the interception waived off exactly?

I didn't see him hit the ground and get touched. He brought it waaaay out. I didn't see why it was brought all the way back to the 3.
Block in the back by Burns

paperclip

Reaction score
Davis has improved more than Burns, BUT the interception on 4th down was a big bo bo . Either he was not smart enough to see the down or coaching has been lacking on football smarts.

he had a great return that was called back on a tacky block in the back on burns.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
y'all are idiots. if Davis had knocked that INT down instead of picking it off, we'd have had better field position. Then Burns commits a blatant block in the back and you have to wonder why he fell to us, and why we drafted someone who lacks football intelligence.

right, Coach?

POP wants to know if he uses an Inverse Curling Machine.....

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Davis is better NOW. He got an interception, after dropping his first two easy chances and failing to convert on a tougher third. Eli was awful, and we played a lot of bad QB's lately...so better yes, but vs. whom?

I did notice Davis is often deployed far back.

I have not seen him isolated in coverage for a while, but I do think he has shown enough lately to be the starter, and with Golden and Thomas as the other two options, that's a good thing.

And on that note, I'm pretty much done replying to this thread, but if bumped and choose to reply I will say Davis had issues in the areas I was harping on in college and in his first 8 or same games as a pro.

If he can do it vs the better QB's, TE' and WR's, then I'll be happy.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Davis is better NOW. He got an interception, after dropping his first two easy chances and failing to convert on a tougher third. Eli was awful, and we played a lot of bad QB's lately...so better yes, but vs. whom?

I have not seen him isolated in coverage for a while, but I do think he has shown enough lately to be the starter, and with Golden and Thomas as the other two options, that's a good thing.

And on that note, I'm pretty much done replying to this thread, but if bumped and choose to reply I will say Davis had issues in the areas I was harping on in college and in his first 8 or same games as a pro.

Playing far back??? Yeah he is playing the position we drafted him to play Safety. And he also plays close to the line as evident by the tackles he is making close to the line of scrimmage. If you weren't happy yesterday nothing the kid does will ever make you happy

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Eli Manning two times SB MVP is not enough competition, I see.
OBJ, Sheppard are not goot enough WRs... ok

Manning had a very fast release and that's what saved his *** from getting sacked at least 3 times, the front D did a good enough pressure up front that Eli didn't have much of a window to make passes. He wasn't awful, he was pressured. And that's a compliment to the pass rush.

Davis did an open field tackle that amazed me, he also had a TFL where he just read the play and bursted to the point. Those are things that you ask of vet safeties. Isn't that enough to show how talented he is? Yet?

Burns had great coverage on his receiver and didn't let them run after the catch, he's solid too. Not much of a difference between him and Eli Apple, who was a draft veddette and was taken fifteen slots ahead

Last edited:

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Hope all the bitching about the pick is pure sarcasm. Yes field position would've been better with incomplete, but strange things happen when guys bat balls down. I'll take him getting us off the field on 4th down every time. Davis had yet another solid performance and is turning into a bright spot (along with Burns) on the D. It's also nice for a rookie to get that first one out of the way, now get us another next week!

ark steel

Reaction score
Hope all the bitching about the pick is pure sarcasm. Yes field position would've been better with incomplete, but strange things happen when guys bat balls down. I'll take him getting us off the field on 4th down every time. Davis had yet another solid performance and is turning into a bright spot (along with Burns) on the D. It's also nice for a rookie to get that first one out of the way, now get us another next week!

I know some is, but, I'd bet, some is not...

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

On that note? More like, I will no longer respond on this thread because I have no facts to objectively prove my view of issues on Davis' in college and during the first 8 games of his pro career. Good try but hopefully you've gained a better understanding on how make a statement and provide qualitative facts to support your opinion. You make yourself a better poster when you do.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Davis is better NOW. He got an interception, after dropping his first two easy chances and failing to convert on a tougher third. Eli was awful, and we played a lot of bad QB's lately...

Manning is not a bad quarterback. In fact, he is a very good quarterback. The Steelers defensive backs made him look bad, because they had an excellent game. You cannot simply dismiss the effort by the defensive backs, including Davis, by saying that the quarterback played poorly.

Manning played poorly because of how well the defense played.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
It looked to me that Burns got his head across the tackler, which is not a block in the back, but a poor foul call.

I'm starting to think that Mitchell's play is improving because Davis and Burns are getting stronger. I was hoping for it to be the other way around since, he's a high priced vet, but he obviously needs help to succeed in the secondary, and he is a very good piece of that secondary when the rest of the young secondary is doing their jobs well.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Also if Beckham isn't a very good receiver, then AB must suck too:

Rk Player Team Pos Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st 1st% FUM
1 Julio Jones ATL WR 72 1,253 17.4 104.4 75T 5 24 5 55 76.4 0
2 Mike Evans TB WR 76 1,058 13.9 88.2 45T 10 13 1 64 84.2 0
3 Antonio Brown PIT WR 88 1,052 12.0 87.7 51 11 17 2 54 61.4 0
4 Odell BeckhamNYGWR 75 1,015 13.5 84.6 75T 8 14 5 47 62.7 2

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Safety play requires subtle communication. Trust takes time and when it isn't there you are late. I would say that as they are becoming more comfortable Mitchell is able to play his own game and not try to cover up for rookies. Davis has basically gotten better every week and must have graded out real high the last two weeks.