• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

When to throw the red flag

Steelers12

Banned
Reaction score
Tomlin does nothing great, nothing really well and we are not considered a well coached team. Cowher won 5 playoff games with 1 loss in his 3 seasons with Ben. Tomlin won 3 playoff games with 1 loss in his first 3 seasons with ben of course using Cowher's players and coaching staff. Since then he has won 5 playoff games and lost 6 playoff games, hmmm. Tomlin once again has done less with more.

ark steel

Reaction score
Tomlin does nothing great, nothing really well and we are not considered a well coached team. Cowher won 5 playoff games with 1 loss in his 3 seasons with Ben. Tomlin won 3 playoff games with 1 loss in his first 3 seasons with ben of course using Cowher's players and coaching staff. Since then he has won 5 playoff games and lost 6 playoff games, hmmm. Tomlin once again has done less with more.

Why do you only count Cowhers record "with Ben"? Was he not responsible for his teams before that? Ben is not a Cowher player. Rooney said to take him.

Steelers12

Banned
Reaction score
Why do you only count Cowhers record "with Ben"? Was he not responsible for his teams before that? Ben is not a Cowher player. Rooney said to take him.

Well since Tomlin has only had Ben his entire tenure ot is only fair to compare Cowher's time with Ben to Tomlin's time . You think a mediocre coach like Tomlin could get to 3 AFC Championship games with Kordell, LMFAO. Tomlin is just a guy with the best organization in the NFL. Imagine if Ben had a real coach who challenged him and could X and O instead of repeatedly getting outcoached year in and year out.

Steelers12

Banned
Reaction score
I could give a **** about coaching rankings. Out any coach with the Steelers and Ben and they win as much if not more than Tomlin. Tomlin is not an X and O coach, is a poor in game coach awful at adjustments and is not a guy who is strong on details. For a motivator we come out flat a ton and have a habit of being outscored by a couple of touchdowns or 3 in games that matter like the Super Bopwl against the Packers, the playoff game against the Jags the Chiefs game this year , etc. If you are happy with Tomlin that is great for you but I feel we have wasted Ben's proime and have no chance to win a super Bopwl, history is proving me right unfortunately.

I am now done talking about the mediocre Tomlin. He is what he is, a mediocre coach whop talks and talks and talks but never adjusts, self scouts or makes adjustment. Every year we suffer from the same piss poor pass defense, the same piss poor in game coaching and the same lethargic play and all his verbal garbage. Enjoy

ark steel

Reaction score
I could give a **** about coaching rankings. Out any coach with the Steelers and Ben and they win as much if not more than Tomlin. Tomlin is not an X and O coach, is a poor in game coach awful at adjustments and is not a guy who is strong on details. For a motivator we come out flat a ton and have a habit of being outscored by a couple of touchdowns or 3 in games that matter like the Super Bopwl against the Packers, the playoff game against the Jags the Chiefs game this year , etc. If you are happy with Tomlin that is great for you but I feel we have wasted Ben's proime and have no chance to win a super Bopwl, history is proving me right unfortunately.

I am now done talking about the mediocre Tomlin. He is what he is, a mediocre coach whop talks and talks and talks but never adjusts, self scouts or makes adjustment. Every year we suffer from the same piss poor pass defense, the same piss poor in game coaching and the same lethargic play and all his verbal garbage. Enjoy

You said "we are not considered a well coached team". By whom? Those were the first 7 Google searches. I didn't pick and choose, i just clicked on the first 7 and linked them. There may be some further down that disagrees. You can get out the lotion and tissue to read through those to your hearts content.

Of course, you dont give a **** what they think. It doesn't fit your echo chamber mentality. And, directly, disputed the stupid **** you said.

You could leave it at you don't agree that Tomlin is a good coach without throwing in stupid **** that is demonstrably false.

tee dee

Banned
Reaction score
Benny runs the team!...Tomlin just has the best view in the stadiums...he stands around looking confused after watching the defense get

Sent from my SM-J737V using Steeler Nation mobile app

ark steel

Reaction score
Well since Tomlin has only had Ben his entire tenure ot is only fair to compare Cowher's time with Ben to Tomlin's time . You think a mediocre coach like Tomlin could get to 3 AFC Championship games with Kordell, LMFAO. Tomlin is just a guy with the best organization in the NFL. Imagine if Ben had a real coach who challenged him and could X and O instead of repeatedly getting outcoached year in and year out.

Well, you dont compare 3 years to 12 years as the sample sizes are not the same. You can't rely on the results with any degree of certainty. So, "fair" is a ridiculous notion when comparing statistics.

Get to the Afccg? I thought the goal was to win SBs. Or is it not. Why is it we only had kordell to get there? Did cowher have nothing to do with getting players? The draft team had to be told to take Ben. Want to open your eyes? Go see what QBs were signed after Kent Graham.

What about Brees? We took Hampton that uear, but that was when defense mattered. Doesn't change the fact that Brees was available.

Lol...you idiots think tomlin is outcoached when the team wins. D held the falcons to their 2nd lowest point putput for the year and the bengals to their lowest point output for the year, but it was Ben that covered for Tomlin's ineptitude. With a 5 yard pass to a Tomlin player.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Hall of famer Bob Griese says hi.

Really?

The quarterback who most people link to Don Shula isn't Dan Marino, it's Bob Griese?

Don't talk stupid.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Well if it isn't the pivot boy of the SNCJ club.

It is a fact or conjecture that the challenge would have been won? Connor confirmed there was no replay in the stadium (why there is no replay person in the booth is another question and i dont know whose decisi9j that was. There used to be one because announcers have mentioned it.)

Well if it isn't the vice president of the LMPSOMT (Let Me Please Suck Off Mike Tomlin) Club.

Stevie Wonder could see that Conner was clearly over the goal line. Who gives a **** if they didn't show it in the stadium? Maybe your idol should hire better help.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
And what's your point? It doesn't take away the fact that Tomlin is #2 all time in wins for his first 11 seasons. One game behind Shula.

Shula never won a suberbowl with Dan freakin Marino! So I guess Shula is a terrible coach as well with that logic.

The fact is, football is a game. It is difficult to assume or expect success every year, because you have 31 other teams competing for the same goal. The variables within a single game are so complex, that it boggles the mind to think about 22 football players and their impact on each individual play.

And I'm fair as all. Tomlin is far from perfect, but he's much farther from being terrible.

The point is pretty simple: Tomlin hasn't been "good at winning" in the postseason lately, and the only quarterbacks he's managed to beat in the last 7 years are a combined 2-7 in the playoffs.

Shula won his Super Bowls with a good running game and defense. He was a great coach, obviously. But it wasn't just because he is linked to Marino.

Football is a game? Hey, thanks for clearing that up.

And you are correct -- out of those 22 players on the field, Tomlin has an improvising James Harrison to especially thank for his lone Super Bowl win. Without that play, Tomlin is Marty ******* Schottenheimer.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Cowher was a great coach. Until he was, essentially, told to take Ben, he had 0 SB wins. Great defensive players, but could not get over that hump.

Pretty sure it has been established that most of the coaches considered great had franchise QBs. Unless you are Top and have no idea that Shula had losers lime Unitas and Griese.

Your conclusion negates any success that Tomlin has had by "ben being ben", which is ******* ridiculous. Ben has to have somebody to throw those passes to, somebody to catch them.

The winning td vs. the bengals was a 5 yard pass to. Tomlin player who took it to the EZ. Someone had to have taught Hunter it was OK to block lime he did .

Let me slow this down so even you can understand it.

Cope said EVERY great coach is linked to A great quarterback. I simply pointed out that Marino (yes, the quarterback that people associate with Shula) wasn't the greatest reason for his success.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, you dont compare 3 years to 12 years as the sample sizes are not the same. You can't rely on the results with any degree of certainty. So, "fair" is a ridiculous notion when comparing statistics.

Get to the Afccg? I thought the goal was to win SBs. Or is it not. Why is it we only had kordell to get there? Did cowher have nothing to do with getting players? The draft team had to be told to take Ben. Want to open your eyes? Go see what QBs were signed after Kent Graham.

What about Brees? We took Hampton that uear, but that was when defense mattered. Doesn't change the fact that Brees was available.

Lol...you idiots think tomlin is outcoached when the team wins. D held the falcons to their 2nd lowest point putput for the year and the bengals to their lowest point output for the year, but it was Ben that covered for Tomlin's ineptitude. With a 5 yard pass to a Tomlin player.

I gave the coaches credit for the Atlanta game, dipshit. Since you love bringing up my thread so much, why don't you look up the posts where I complimented the game plan?

Wait, that wouldn't fit your "circle jerk" agenda, now would it?

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

The Chin was great during his time in Pitt, but to clarify bluntly 4 of those 5 playoff games came from being a last seed in 2005 SB year. He only won one more playoff game during those other two seasons.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

coupon

Reaction score
I associate Shula with Griese. Should I get throw the red flag?

ark steel

Reaction score
I gave the coaches credit for the Atlanta game, dipshit. Since you love bringing up my thread so much, why don't you look up the posts where I complimented the game plan?

Wait, that wouldn't fit your "circle jerk" agenda, now would it?

I was responding to Steelers12. If you self identify as an idiot, and were offended, that is not my problem.

ark steel

Reaction score
I associate Shula with Griese. Should I get throw the red flag?

Yeah, when i think of Shula, i dont think of Marino. I think of the QB that lead them to an undefeated season. I was around before the 80's though.

The fact is that Shula was very successful before marino with 2 different HoF QBs and anotherthat was, apparently good. I dont know that most people associate shula with marino. I guess it could be true. I also dont think Cope meant A great QB as in only one, but i will let cope clarify that.

ark steel

Reaction score
Well if it isn't the vice president of the LMPSOMT (Let Me Please Suck Off Mike Tomlin) Club.

Stevie Wonder could see that Conner was clearly over the goal line. Who gives a **** if they didn't show it in the stadium? Maybe your idol should hire better help.

You are so very clever!

From the sideline, it, probably, isn't as clear. Ive been on the sidelines during a football game. You cant see details from that far away. Connor wasn't begging Tomlin to challenge, so even he didnt know and he was right there with the best view. When players are sure they have it, they are begging the coach to challenge. Connor wasnt asking for it, Ben wasn't asking for it. Did they not see it?

It has been said in one thread that there is no one in the booth calling down challenges. Pretty sure i noted that as not making any sense. If true, whoever made that decision, it is a bad one. Might be Tomlin, might be someone else. If i were Tomlin, i would be at the FO every week asking why no one has been hired to do it.

Stevie Wonder could also tell that Jessie James catch last year was a catch. Yetz it wasnt. A few years ago it was obvious 5hat Ray Rice could not have possibly stretched for a 1st down, yet, it he did.. What Stevie wonder can see vs what NFL refs can see don't always line up.

ark steel

Reaction score
That percentage is terrible. You'd think just by odds the Steelers would have a better success rate on challenges. Tomlin has seemed to throw the flag on a lot of spot plays, which are rarely overturned, so that could lead to part of the problem.

That seems to be a recent trend. When looking for stats i could only find 2014 and 2016 stuff. In the 2014 article (cumulative since replay started) Tomlin had one of the highest challenges won percent. I think the 2016 article was close, to the 2014 article.

ark steel

Reaction score
The inherited players argument is weak. you have to coach the players you have, and if that was the case of only winning with inherited players, he should have a losing record by now.

Also all great coaches are linked to a great QB. Every. Single. One. It's a unicorn to have a great coach linked to 2. Only Walsh with Montana and Young. Read the list of SB winners, and all time coaching wins, and it's linked to a QB-Coach tandem Every. Single. Time.

Joe Gibbs won SBs with Mark Rypien and Doug Williams. I'm not sure either is a great QB. I don't remember much about Williams, though. That was in the late 80,s when i was working every Sunday and didnt see many games.

ark steel

Reaction score
That seems to be a recent trend. When looking for stats i could only find 2014 and 2016 stuff. In the 2014 article (cumulative since replay started) Tomlin had one of the highest challenges won percent. I think the 2016 article was close, to the 2014 article.

During 2016, it seems as if Tomlin was 1 out of 3 in the regular season.

ark steel

Reaction score

2016 reddit article had him at 55% through 2016 at 50 total challenges. Coaches with lower %'s. Peyton, Bellichick, Cowher, Harbaugh. Of those with better %, the next closest in # of challenges was 27 nsome had a sample size of 3.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/3ef4jp/a_statistical_breakdown_of_challenge_accuracy/

I did not verify the accuracy of the stats.