• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sean Davis 3rd Forrest Gump moment

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Atleast he's young enough to correct some of those tackling issues and mental breaks(learn the defense) then he'll start being able to just play and make plays.

It's guys like Mitchell, Golden, and some others who you should be worried about. Those guys are vets and are still making big time blunders.

So I guess playing the rookie card is giving a player time to adjust and learn. According to you and pop, Tomlin might as well cut him now because he's playing at about the same level as everyone else on the defense after 7 or 8 games into his career.

Mithcell was overpaid. He had one good year on a loaded front seven team in Carolina. I did not like the move. And yes Mitchell is a major bonehead. Golden made the team as a rookie free agent. At least he's very good on special teams.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Now your not being honest. I do plenty of research which includes watching the video, studying data, and factoring in third party opinions. My opnion has no pre-set bais. I call them like I see them.

Prior to the draft, I stated Davis shortcomings, post draft and did the same and backed it up with video clips and even more data. I wasn't impressed with what I read in camp or saw in the pre-season.

He has been pretty bad during the season too. A rookie yes, but one who has not flashed much talent. Burns gave up a big play, but at least he's making some of his own. Davis right now sucks, and BLOWS games. A liability at least for now.

without wanting to get in a fight with you, please deny the following:
- you didn't know that Davis was changed from Safety (where he thrived) to CB in Maryland because they were short at the position (as CB he obviously struggled at a new position)
- you said he had a low IQ, yet the guy got the chance to play because he learned the playbook faster than any of the other rookies. As Ike pointed out the guy had very good grades in college
- you said he wasn't athletic. The kid has similar or better numbers than most of his draft class

honestly I think you has a bias. Deljzic had him as a Safety in the 2nd round, same goes for TMC. Pretty knowledgeable guys regarding the scouting process

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Now your not being honest. I do plenty of research which includes watching the video, studying data, and factoring in third party opinions. My opnion has no pre-set bais. I call them like I see them.

Prior to the draft, I stated Davis shortcomings, post draft and did the same and backed it up with video clips and even more data. I wasn't impressed with what I read in camp or saw in the pre-season.

He has been pretty bad during the season too. A rookie yes, but one who has not flashed much talent. Burns gave up a big play, but at least he's making some of his own. Davis right now sucks, and BLOWS games. A liability at least for now.

he made a couple of good plays against the bengals, I even posted the video here where he made a play on a pass against AJ Green, yet you never accepted he broke the pass. You dislike the kid

skialta

Reaction score
I must have seen some other Davis Sunday. True, the facemask was awful, but wasn't it actually called on Cockrell? I seem to remember Davis making a few big stops too though. Comparing him to Shemarko doesn't seem accurate to me. I can't remember one single play that he's ever made

ark steel

Reaction score
Comparing him to Shemarko doesn't seem accurate to me. I can't remember one single play that he's ever made

There was that running into the PR after a fair catch.

then the other one....

oh,,,nvm

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
No, you're extra obsessed with trying to bash his posts, every day. Why you have this obsession, I do not know. Maybe his knowledge intimidates you, or his high IQ? I am just not sure. And before you call me a name/word that does not even exist, you might want to check out your anger issues. This is a "Internet sports message board." The primary and customary content of such entities are usually opinions. If you can't express opinions on an Internet sports message board, then you pretty much can't express any opinions any where; it is the bulk of the posting and it is pretty much what you do on these boards. To claim no one should express opinions on these, would be like telling callers who call into radio sports shows to not express opinions. Do you howl at the moon and gnash your teeth if you hear a caller into a sports radio show express opinions? Why not? Do you "call them out" if they express a "biased opinion?" You seem to feel like it is some kind of civic duty to do it to Coach. "Oh my God! Coach has an opinion that I don't agree with!!! I need to battle it, like a knight in shining armor!"

Be chill, dude. Coach just expresses his opinions. It's not a violent crime or anything. Chill out.

So your opinions on the "Internet sports message boards" includes commenting on your views of the Industrial Military Complex and the disrespecting of veterans.....Thanks for the clarification on what a Internet sports message board" is.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I understand, that is why expressing opinions about a player's future value is called a "prediction." That's what we do on Internet sports message boards. I never liked the Landry Jones pick. I am ticked off he is still on the team. When I expressed that I thought he sucked 2 years ago, some told me it was too early to tell and I couldn't know for a fact that he would suck. Well, I didn't know it for a fact, but I expressed my opinion. Now, in my opinion, I have been proven right about him. (shrugs shoulders) As of now, I am leaning towards Davis ending up as a similar player to Sharko or that other bust pick safety, Ant Smith, who was similar in that he could hit like a truck but was just too football dumb to ever offer any kind of quality play. Do I know this as a fact? Nope. Did I know Landry Jones would suck as a fact? Nope. I also haven't said I confirmed Davis will be a bust, just that I am leaning that direction. Again, he reminds me of Sharko and Smith. The Steelers seem to make this same mistake on safeties for some reason. They fall in love with physical ability and ignore possible low football IQ, I guess thinking they can "coach them up." Sometimes a players born brain wiring doesn't allow for this to really happen. You can't teach innate instincts.

This....

Davis fans will play the rookie card all season, but he has had tackling issues, major mental breakdowns ( Some of which are tough to defend ) and has not impressed in pass coverage.

His insitncts and football IQ seem low, and this is soemthing that players either have or don't.

and this....

If this is the case, where is the objective data to formulate this "low football IQ" reference? To be fair in your assessment, I would say the first half of the season, there hasn't been enough data to ascertain a opinion either way. He is a rookie, first year player. Its rare for rookie defensive players to have such an impact. But the diatribe that you and Pop spew constantly is what makes your argument thin and non-existent. There was talk of "obsessive" behavior about a poster.....these posts about the constant criticism about a rookie, 7-8 games into a career is what could be called "obsessive".

nooneuno

Forefather
Reaction score

Yeah and you do that on games you haven't even watched lol

As on pre-set bias what a joke, how many threads have you started on Davis alone?

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Sometimes I wish we had Forrest Gump and the Waterboy playing for us. One can run like hell and the other can tackle anything.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Coach admitted earlier in the season to not watching multiple games.

P

POP

So your opinions on the "Internet sports message boards" includes commenting on your views of the Industrial Military Complex and the disrespecting of veterans.....Thanks for the clarification on what a Internet sports message board" is.

Hey, Pokey, in case you missed it, the posts made about the military (none disrespected any troops) were made in the appropriate boards; you act as if I posted them on the football only board. The only ones that even mentioned anything about the military posted in the football board mentioned how the NFL is declining in ratings, with one possible reason the glamorizing of the military and our country murdering people. That was it. Many fans are fed up with the NFL shoving the military down our throats. So, next time you try to be "hot stuff" you might want to not lie about other posters.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, Pokey, in case you missed it, the posts made about the military (none disrespected any troops) were made in the appropriate boards; you act as if I posted them on the football only board. The only ones that even mentioned anything about the military posted in the football board mentioned how the NFL is declining in ratings, with one possible reason the glamorizing of the military and our country murdering people. That was it. Many fans are fed up with the NFL shoving the military down our throats. So, next time you try to be "hot stuff" you might want to not lie about other posters.

Hey Pop, here are your comments on the football only board. I will let the masses make up their own minds regarding your dialogue.

Your original post cited in your opinion 6 reasons. For brevity, I only included #6 (the first 5 were plausible to some extent)

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/2/13361126/why-are-nfl-tv-ratings-down

OK, so facts show less people are watching NFL games. And look at the younger age groups: They are really down, down, down.

So, Roger dodger claims it's because it's an election year and bigger things were on hand to pay attention to.

That would only explain Monday night games being down during the same nights as debates, and that is it. But ratings are down across the board.

Here are, what I believe, are the real reasons ratings are dropping.

6.) Glamorizing and glorifying blatant war. Trust me, I am not alone feeling they are shoving the industrialised military complex down our throats. The NFL does the work for the federal govt. The ******* DOD was PAYING the NFL to have a presence, but teed it up like it was all just about loving the country and our troops. It is blatant propaganda that Hitler would be proud of. If you want to beat off over killing other human beings, all based on profit and power and NOT on making the world more safe, than have at it. But don't force me to watch your propaganda, and worse yet, don't use my ******* tax $ to do it.

There, NFL. I outlined why your ratings are crashing. You are welcome.

Of note, the NFL paid BACK the DOD what they received from the various armed services. You neglected to mention that.

The following poster made his opinion known about your comments on #6.

#6 proves that you're a pie-in-the-sky nimrod that doesnt understand human nature. War will exist, as long as humanity exists

Then you, while on the Football Only Board, responded:

The above proves you are a brainwashed pawn who is easily manipulated because you lack the IQ to see through what your masters are lying to you about. Kissinger said “Military men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy.” He ought to know. War is only inevitable when the establishment gets its way. Try telling the Swiss that war has to be endless. The old men getting rich on convincing war is inevitable laugh at duped patsies like you. They laugh at old fools like you, who actually believe we need to take half of our entire spending on nothing but men and machines to kill others. Instead of the govt. spending MUCH LESS or on things that actually BENEFIT the people, they convince buffoons like you that war is 100% inevitable and laugh all the way to their pile of gold. It is the brainwashed simpletons that allow this to keep happening. Tell why invading Iraq was such a necessity. Tell me why the killing of 1,000s of innocent civilians by drone attacks is needed. Let you cradle a dead little girl from those massacres and tell me why the drone murders are so necessary. Let me see you tell a father or mother of a dead infant from US drones and tell them, face-to-face, why we just had to bomb them. You wouldn't have the balls to do that, I guarantee it. So go hide behind your "there has to always be war" mantra and stay the ignorant patsy you are.

Yes, this is pure Football Only Board material you are discussing in detail.

Then, you add this ridiculous notion, sandwiched between actual football only board commentary.

Yes, most cheer, but most don't bother to think about it very much, other than they want to "support our troops" as do I. And none of the guys flying the F-18's, such as I watched last weekend, have anything to do with the never-ending war mongering of the USA. And, some of the player movement is fine by me. I didn't want Mike Wallace to be on this team. I was more than happy to see him kick bricks, even though he did scorch us last week.

The poster later responded to your insults stating:

I've seen my fair share of the dead during my deployments to Afghanistan, I dont need you (of all people) lecturing me on the horrors of war. Again, you're not very bright, you dont understand history, you need a lot of help. Please get it.

Of which you followed with this "obvious" Football Only Board criticism.....

No doubt caused by the immoral, illegal invasion and occupation of US troops. Did you get to guard the poppy fields like other US troops to ensure Afg heroin production would grow by 1000%?

Too bad. I can lecture whomever I want. The 1st amd. gives me that right.

You mean I need help in getting brainwashed so I don't understand the truth and realities of the world, like you? I bet you are currently "getting help" in the form of many things.

Your assertion that many fans are fed up with the "NFL shoving the military down our throats" is biased, as well as purely subjective in your opinion. Of which most here on this board have shown they don't agree. So before you make accusations of people being a liar, or trying to be "hot stuff"(sounds more like what you attempt to do when trying to sound intelligent but fail spectacularly) take a long look at yourself in the mirror, Pokey.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
i think Davis will be a very good Safety. The reason he is lost is because Maryland switched him back and forth between CB and S so he never got to learn either. Then the steelers did the same thing.

I see a great athlete with instincts and a nose for the ball. He's a willing tackler, he just needs more practice at it coming from the safety position where the angles are different.

mdk2

Reaction score
i think Davis will be a very good Safety. The reason he is lost is because Maryland switched him back and forth between CB and S so he never got to learn either. Then the steelers did the same thing.

I see a great athlete with instincts and a nose for the ball. He's a willing tackler, he just needs more practice at it coming from the safety position where the angles are different.

Yeah but he's played in 8 games now, he should be making plays all over the field at this point in his career.

chipped ham

Reaction score
Yeah but he's played in 8 games now, he should be making plays all over the field at this point in his career.

If Anthony Chickilo can be a hall of fame player, while playing only 35% of the defensive snaps, then Sean Davis doesn't have any excuse.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

He has but one pass defended, a horrible throw by Jets QB Fitzpatrick that should have been intercepted. By contrast rookie, Artie Burns has broken up 6 passes and has one interception.

Cockrell has 8 PD's, Gay 4 PD's

So you see outside of that really bad throw, Davis has been a ZERO defending the pass. In fact, four of linebackers have more passes defended. Need I say more?

Time to play the rookie card again, even though rookies are doing much better.

mdk2

Reaction score
He has but one pass defended, a horrible throw by Jets QB Fitzpatrick that should have been intercepted. By contrast rookie, Artie Burns has broken up 6 passes and has one interception.

So you see outside of that really bad throw, Davis has been a ZERO defending the pass. In fact, four of linebackers have more passes defended. Need I say more?

Do you have the stats of the amount of times that the player he is covering is being thrown to?

Do you think the linebackers might have more passes defensed because they have more balls thrown their way with the QB recognizing mismatches when our LBs are in coverage?

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Do you have the stats of the amount of times that the player he is covering is being thrown to?

Do you think the linebackers might have more passes defensed because they have more balls thrown their way with the QB recognizing mismatches when our LBs are in coverage?

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

1 ) No, I do not. If you have a number of times a player has been thrown to, please do post it here. It will help. I'd like to see it.

2 ) We can see the snap counts. As I stated, four of our linebackers have more passes defended. Three linebackers have triple the production in comparison to Davis and I doubt they were targeted 3 times as often or played three times a number of snaps! You'll likely agree with that.

Shazier only played 6 games, and he's got three. Moats is a backup and he has 3. And then there is Timmons.

3 ) Not that I'm going to do it, but I have a hunch quite a few rookie safeties on other teams had me more plays on the ball

Bottom line: Davis just is not making plays and the 1 he has was a gimmie.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Davis is playing more in his rookie year than that safety with the big head from the 2003 draft. cant remember his name

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
PITTSBURGH --*James Harrison*probably won't be the only change to the starting defensive lineup Sunday in Cleveland. The*Steelers*are also expected to start rookie*Sean Davis*at strong safety.

That, of course, depends on whether Davis can hold on to the first-team position at which he's worked this week in practice.

Davis confirmed that he's been working solely with the first team this week, but wasn't ready to announce himself the starter on Sunday.

Davis had been rotating series with*Rob Golden*the last two games and called that "an open competition."

Here's how defensive coordinator Keith Butler explained the rotation last week:

"Mentally you rarely see Rob G. out of position. There's something to be said for that. Plus, he talks a lot. The guy alerts people to a lot of things, so it's hard to replace that, even though you've got somebody maybe a little bit better physically (in Davis)."

Davis played 43 of the 65 defensive snaps Sunday and made six tackles. He also committed the critical facemask penalty on the penultimate play of the fatal Cowboys final series.

For the season, Davis has 26 tackles and one pass defensed.

Sunday's start would be Davis' third of the season but first at strong safety. His earlier starts were as the slot cornerback.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

and how many times has he been targeted compared to the others? How many passes have the guys he covered caught? How many plays has he had compared to the others? Trying to compare passes defended without knowing this data is pretty useless.

mdk2

Reaction score
1 ) No, I do not. If you have a number of times a player has been thrown to, please do post it here. It will help. I'd like to see it.

2 ) We can see the snap counts. As I stated, four of our linebackers have more passes defended. Three linebackers have triple the production in comparison to Davis and I doubt they were targeted 3 times as often or played three times a number of snaps! You'll likely agree with that.

Shazier only played 6 games, and he's got three. Moats is a backup and he has 3. And then there is Timmons.

3 ) Not that I'm going to do it, but I have a hunch quite a few rookie safeties on other teams had me more plays on the ball

Just posted today by SteelersDepot.

– Target numbers:

William Gay: 5/7 101 yards 1 TD 0 INT
Mike Mitchell: 2/8 29 yards 0 TD 0 INT
Artie Burns: 5/16 158 yards 1 TD 1 INT
Sean Davis: 2/2 35 yards 0 TD 0 INT
Ross Cockrell: 8/17 84 yards 1 TD 0 INT

– Burns leads the secondary with four penalties.

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/11/midseason-steelers-defensive-charting-notes/

A whole 2 targets for Davis...

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

Coach,

Here are the defensive stats through the DAL game. Looks like Cam Heyward was playing out of position. He lead all safeties with passes defended. Its a shame we lost him for the year. Of the safeties themselves Mitchell leads with 1 more PD....One.

<script type="text/javascript" src="//widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=pfr&url=%2Fteams%2Fpit%2F2016.htm&div=div_defense"></script>

Last edited:

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
So Davis has as many Passes deflected as Golden and just 1 less than Mitchell, both of whom have played many more snaps

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Plus, he has 5 fewer tackles (21), than the other starting safety, who has played in every game and 97% of the snaps on defense. While Davis (an atrocious tackler) has only played in 7 games, started two, and (after having 9 in the first 5 games) hasn't apparently missed a tackle in the last 4 games. Oh, he has 3 more tackles than the other starting safety as well. This qualifies as D grade in comparison to the other players on defense?