• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sean Davis 3rd Forrest Gump moment

steelhurt

Reaction score
The last drive illustrated our biggest issue. We don't have anyone who can get to the QB when we rush just 4. And I don't know why James Harrison is on the sidelines in that situation.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

And we don't have anyone that can get to the QB why? Because your boy Cool Shades aided by his trusty sidekick K Colbert have done such an exemplary job of restocking the defense. Guys like Uncle Jarvis, Don't touch me I'll break Shazier, a past his shelf life Harrison who is still there best pass rusher, a project in Chikillo, a starter in Moates who is a career backup. Yes, great job of totally restocking a once proud, hard hitting, intimidating defense with China dolls, pour tacklers, and backups.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
The guy's football IQ is lower than his jersey number. When your head coaches gambles, and you have players not having it above the neck making critical mistakes at the end of the game, you tend to lose.

Lol, Coach you just keep throwing out comments out of thin air. Davis during his interview said he was just trying to pull the ball loose and make a play. Witten just dropped his head at the last second and Davis got his hand in his mask. It was inadvertent contact, but the rules changed so as to take the judgement call away from the officials.

The kid knows three or four languages, graduated early, was asked to learn two positions in college. You going to try and bury this guy like you did Troy. How did that end?

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Lol, Coach you just keep throwing out comments out of thin air. Davis during his interview said he was just trying to pull the ball loose and make a play. Witten just dropped his head at the last second and Davis got his hand in his mask. It was inadvertent contact, but the rules changed so as to take the judgement call away from the officials.

The kid knows three or four languages, graduated early, was asked to learn two positions in college
. You going to try and bury this guy like you did Troy. How did that end?

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

coach wouldn't know that because although he pretends to be great at scouting he regularly has little to show for it, like when he said he was moved to cb cause he sucked at S

P

POP

Big time mistake, for sure. Don't forget to mention his big stop on 3rd and 1 when he stopped Elliot for no gain.

That was the only play I can recall this season where I said, "Nice play Davis."

P

POP

coach wouldn't know that because although he pretends to be great at scouting he regularly has little to show for it, like when he said he was moved to cb cause he sucked at S

Why do you hate Coach so much? Did he steal your girl?

P

POP

The kid knows three or four languages, graduated early, was asked to learn two positions in college. You going to try and bury this guy like you did Troy. How did that end?
[/url]

I believe he specified "football IQ" which can be very different than your everyday, walking about IQ. I have know guys who were straight A students but were lost on a football field. According to Fitzpatrick's measurable IQ, the man is a genius. On the football field? Not so much. "Football IQ" is not really learned as much as it is an innate, instinctive intelligence. From the moment they drafted Davis, most what was said was about him being very "raw." His physical talents seem strong. But at the S position, you must have "football IQ" because no physical skill can make up for lack of knowing when to be where or not make a crucial penalty at the worst time. Even if he was trying to strip the ball, you don't screw up and end up grabbing the facemask, and twisting it, unless you are football dumb, at least as of now.

P

POP

And we don't have anyone that can get to the QB why? Because your boy Cool Shades aided by his trusty sidekick K Colbert have done such an exemplary job of restocking the defense. Guys like Uncle Jarvis, Don't touch me I'll break Shazier, a past his shelf life Harrison who is still there best pass rusher, a project in Chikillo, a starter in Moates who is a career backup. Yes, great job of totally restocking a once proud, hard hitting, intimidating defense with China dolls, pour tacklers, and backups.

:frusty:

mdk2

Reaction score
That was the only play I can recall this season where I said, "Nice play Davis."

He's had more "nice plays" than Mike Mitchell and if you want to count that tackle for a loss as his only nice play, it's still more than Mitchell. He's become the biggest liability in the secondary.

P

POP

I honestly think you are mistaken with theshark comparison

Sadly, I have been thinking he and Shark remind me of each other: great physical skills, can hit when they realize what they are supposed to hit, but endless mental blunders that negate the positives. Hope I am wrong.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Why do you hate Coach so much? Did he steal your girl?

I don't Hate, what a stupid word to use in here.

as long as anyone here comes trying to bullshit his way to try to make a biased point you ******* bet I'll be there to call him out, whether his name is coach or timmy, and let me add that when coach makes valid points I respect them and even agree with them. Same goes for any poster

Last edited:

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I believe he specified "football IQ" which can be very different than your everyday, walking about IQ. I have know guys who were straight A students but were lost on a football field. According to Fitzpatrick's measurable IQ, the man is a genius. On the football field? Not so much. "Football IQ" is not really learned as much as it is an innate, instinctive intelligence. From the moment they drafted Davis, most what was said was about him being very "raw." His physical talents seem strong. But at the S position, you must have "football IQ" because no physical skill can make up for lack of knowing when to be where or not make a crucial penalty at the worst time. Even if he was trying to strip the ball, you don't screw up and end up grabbing the facemask, and twisting it, unless you are football dumb, at least as of now.

"Sigh..." Pop, you can believe anything you want. We live in a free country so to each his own. But you have no objective evidence to your claims about Davis. Football IQ? Really? The kid played in 50 games in college. Had over 300 tackles in his collegiate career. Was asked to learn 2 positions (which isn't all that uncommon but) and started games at both.

Link please regarding " From the moment they drafted Davis, most what was said was about him being very "raw."". You advise you can type a paragraph in 20 seconds, so you shouldn't have any problems getting a reply quickly.

Forget about being a rookie 7 games in, where is your criticism for players who also had penalties? We have had All pros who had costly penalties during critical points in games. Guess they have/had low "Football IQ"

ThePittsburghKid

Reaction score
I think POP and Coach spend too much time together at the Stallion Showcase Cinema.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Yet it is still higher than yours.

I highly doubt that, but hey if it makes you feel better...

Relative to the number of snaps he has played, Davis could have the most flags on the team. And his errors are major and often at the worst time in the games.

P

POP

He's had more "nice plays" than Mike Mitchell and if you want to count that tackle for a loss as his only nice play, it's still more than Mitchell. He's become the biggest liability in the secondary.

Ever hear the term, "Two wrongs don't make a right?" Well I say about the above, "Two turds don't make a non-turd." Mitchell sucking doesn't make Davis not suck. Mitchell has been a bad free agent signing. Davis is looking like a bad draft pick. He reminds me of Sharko: great athletic ability, with a 2 cent head.

mdk2

Reaction score
Ever hear the term, "Two wrongs don't make a right?" Well I say about the above, "Two turds don't make a non-turd." Mitchell sucking doesn't make Davis not suck. Mitchell has been a bad free agent signing. Davis is looking like a bad draft pick. He reminds me of Sharko: great athletic ability, with a 2 cent head.

One is a seasoned vet, the other has played a total of 7 or 8 games. I'd be a little more harsh on the vet than I would a rookie who is still learning the position(s).
Determining that a player is a bad draft pick after not even a full season is just laughable.

P

POP

I don't Hate, what a stupid word to use in here.

as long as anyone here comes trying to bullshit his way to try to make a biased point you ******* bet I'll be there to call him out, whether his name is coach or timmy, and let me add that when coach makes valid points I respect them and even agree with them. Same goes for any poster

No, you're extra obsessed with trying to bash his posts, every day. Why you have this obsession, I do not know. Maybe his knowledge intimidates you, or his high IQ? I am just not sure. And before you call me a name/word that does not even exist, you might want to check out your anger issues. This is a "Internet sports message board." The primary and customary content of such entities are usually opinions. If you can't express opinions on an Internet sports message board, then you pretty much can't express any opinions any where; it is the bulk of the posting and it is pretty much what you do on these boards. To claim no one should express opinions on these, would be like telling callers who call into radio sports shows to not express opinions. Do you howl at the moon and gnash your teeth if you hear a caller into a sports radio show express opinions? Why not? Do you "call them out" if they express a "biased opinion?" You seem to feel like it is some kind of civic duty to do it to Coach. "Oh my God! Coach has an opinion that I don't agree with!!! I need to battle it, like a knight in shining armor!"

Be chill, dude. Coach just expresses his opinions. It's not a violent crime or anything. Chill out.

P

POP

One is a seasoned vet, the other has played a total of 7 or 8 games. I'd be a little more harsh on the vet than I would a rookie who is still learning the position(s).
Determining that a player is a bad draft pick after not even a full season is just laughable.

Yes, I understand, that is why expressing opinions about a player's future value is called a "prediction." That's what we do on Internet sports message boards. I never liked the Landry Jones pick. I am ticked off he is still on the team. When I expressed that I thought he sucked 2 years ago, some told me it was too early to tell and I couldn't know for a fact that he would suck. Well, I didn't know it for a fact, but I expressed my opinion. Now, in my opinion, I have been proven right about him. (shrugs shoulders) As of now, I am leaning towards Davis ending up as a similar player to Sharko or that other bust pick safety, Ant Smith, who was similar in that he could hit like a truck but was just too football dumb to ever offer any kind of quality play. Do I know this as a fact? Nope. Did I know Landry Jones would suck as a fact? Nope. I also haven't said I confirmed Davis will be a bust, just that I am leaning that direction. Again, he reminds me of Sharko and Smith. The Steelers seem to make this same mistake on safeties for some reason. They fall in love with physical ability and ignore possible low football IQ, I guess thinking they can "coach them up." Sometimes a players born brain wiring doesn't allow for this to really happen. You can't teach innate instincts.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Yes, I understand, that is why expressing opinions about a player's future value is called a "prediction." That's what we do on Internet sports message boards. I never liked the Landry Jones pick. I am ticked off he is still on the team. When I expressed that I thought he sucked 2 years ago, some told me it was too early to tell and I couldn't know for a fact that he would suck. Well, I didn't know it for a fact, but I expressed my opinion. Now, in my opinion, I have been proven right about him. (shrugs shoulders) As of now, I am leaning towards Davis ending up as a similar player to Sharko or that other bust pick safety, Ant Smith, who was similar in that he could hit like a truck but was just too football dumb to ever offer any kind of quality play. Do I know this as a fact? Nope. Did I know Landry Jones would suck as a fact? Nope. I also haven't said I confirmed Davis will be a bust, just that I am leaning that direction. Again, he reminds me of Sharko and Smith. The Steelers seem to make this same mistake on safeties for some reason. They fall in love with physical ability and ignore possible low football IQ, I guess thinking they can "coach them up." Sometimes a players born brain wiring doesn't allow for this to really happen. You can't teach innate instincts.

Davis fans will play the rookie card all season, but he has had tackling issues, major mental breakdowns ( Some of which are tough to defend ) and has not impressed in pass coverage.

His insitncts and football IQ seem low, and this is soemthing that players either have or don't.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
No, you're extra obsessed with trying to bash his posts, every day. Why you have this obsession, I do not know. Maybe his knowledge intimidates you, or his high IQ? I am just not sure. And before you call me a name/word that does not even exist, you might want to check out your anger issues. This is a "Internet sports message board." The primary and customary content of such entities are usually opinions. If you can't express opinions on an Internet sports message board, then you pretty much can't express any opinions any where; it is the bulk of the posting and it is pretty much what you do on these boards. To claim no one should express opinions on these, would be like telling callers who call into radio sports shows to not express opinions. Do you howl at the moon and gnash your teeth if you hear a caller into a sports radio show express opinions? Why not? Do you "call them out" if they express a "biased opinion?" You seem to feel like it is some kind of civic duty to do it to Coach. "Oh my God! Coach has an opinion that I don't agree with!!! I need to battle it, like a knight in shining armor!"

Be chill, dude. Coach just expresses his opinions. It's not a violent crime or anything. Chill out.

How can his "knowledge" scare me when its so obviously lacking. The guy doesn't do his research and gives an opinion with zero basis, then I or someone else give facts to refute him. How is that hating? He's so self centered on being right that will try whatever goes through his mind without fact checking, the guy pretends to be this very knowledgeable guy but is even less informed than most posters in here. And this is regarding Sean Davis who he has a bias against, as I have agreed with some of his other posts.

If the kid fizzles well too bad, I'm not expecting an all pro out of him but calling him a bust and comparing him to shark who hasn't been able to sniff the field in anything else than St play in 4 years is just absurd

Last edited:

mdk2

Reaction score
Davis fans will play the rookie card all season, but he has had tackling issues, major mental breakdowns ( Some of which are tough to defend ) and has not impressed in pass coverage.

His insitncts and football IQ seem low, and this is soemthing that players either have or don't.

Atleast he's young enough to correct some of those tackling issues and mental breaks(learn the defense) then he'll start being able to just play and make plays.

It's guys like Mitchell, Golden, and some others who you should be worried about. Those guys are vets and are still making big time blunders.

So I guess playing the rookie card is giving a player time to adjust and learn. According to you and pop, Tomlin might as well cut him now because he's playing at about the same level as everyone else on the defense after 7 or 8 games into his career.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
How can his "knowledge" scare me when its so obviously lacking. The guy doesn't do his research and gives an opinion with zero basis, then I or someone else give facts to refute him. How is that hating? He's so self centered on being right that will try whatever goes through his mind without fact checking, the guy pretends to be this very knowledgeable guy but is even less informed than most posters in here. And this is regarding Sean Davis who he has a bias against, as I have agreed with some of his other posts.

If the kid fizzles well too bad, I'm not expecting an all pro out of him but calling him a bust and comparing him to shark who hasn't been able to sniff the field in anything else than St play in 4 years is just absurd

Now your not being honest. I do plenty of research which includes watching the video, studying data, and factoring in third party opinions. My opnion has no pre-set bais. I call them like I see them.

Prior to the draft, I stated Davis shortcomings, post draft and did the same and backed it up with video clips and even more data. I wasn't impressed with what I read in camp or saw in the pre-season.

He has been pretty bad during the season too. A rookie yes, but one who has not flashed much talent. Burns gave up a big play, but at least he's making some of his own. Davis right now sucks, and BLOWS games. A liability at least for now.