• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pens Hockey 2021?

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Glad they got a point, but damn.

Mike was asked about what he'd tell Gino and Letang about squandering that opportunity and he said there's nothing he'd tell them......Maybe that's part of the problem...Are the leaders on this team above coaching?

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
No disrespect from me..

Loved him as a kid as a goalie...fav at the time.

He did a very nice job as GM ...
contributed to a couple of Cups..

How can you disrespect that?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Before anyone comes in here and disrespects Jim Rutherford......I wish him well and am thankful for his approach as GM.

Here I am.

I wish him well and appreciate what he did to win the two Cups. The magic wore off beginning with the Reaves trade and he's been pretty bad in recent years. The Pens should have moved on in probably 2018.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Here I am.

I wish him well and appreciate what he did to win the two Cups. The magic wore off beginning with the Reaves trade and he's been pretty bad in recent years. The Pens should have moved on in probably 2018.

Personally, I hope this helps them change their entire philosophy. This **** of trading away picks in the hopes of catching lightning in a bottle is getting old. The cabinet (WBS) needs restocked. Personally, even with Sid and Geno, I don’t think this team has any hope to contend in the short term, so you might as well start moving some of these burdensome contracts while you can get any value and begin to rebuild. There are still some nice pieces, so a down year or two is manageable for long term success.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Here I am.

To me, the trade for Brassard was the worst. Take a team that was humming, quite possibly heading for a three peat, and just completely destroy the chemistry and turn your team into a pretty pedestrian bunch. They were never the same after that.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
To me, the trade for Brassard was the worst. Take a team that was humming, quite possibly heading for a three peat, and just completely destroy the chemistry and turn your team into a pretty pedestrian bunch. They were never the same after that.

The trade is just part of what made him bad. In theory, getting one of the best players on the market was suppose to help, but you're right, the team was fine. Rutherford just couldn't contain himself. He was constantly looking to make moves and hope something stuck. In the latter part of his tenure,most of it didn't.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
The trade is just part of what made him bad. In theory, getting one of the best players on the market was suppose to help, but you're right, the team was fine. Rutherford just couldn't contain himself. He was constantly looking to make moves and hope something stuck. In the latter part of his tenure,most of it didn't.

That, and Sully had a hard on for Ian Cole and wanted him gone for whatever reason. That whole trade sucked. We gave up a first and Ian Cole, for Brassard, Vince Dunn and a 3rd rounder. JR got robbed.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Hell if I was 71 and I was in GMJR's shoes, I'd retire too. I'm plant my *** on a beach or on a boat somewhere and enjoy life.

He didn't retire, he resigned. Left it open to take over as GM for another team this summer.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He didn't retire, he resigned. Left it open to take over as GM for another team this summer.

Oh yeah...well I say he quit. He probably wanted to trade Malkin for a used treadmill, a hot tub with an electrical short and an old Igloo water cooler and met resistance.

Last edited:

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Before anyone comes in here and disrespects Jim Rutherford......I wish him well and am thankful for his approach as GM.

He did piece together back to back cups.
Was on the cusp of a possible threepeat.

I felt if he kept Reaves with Oleksiak and Sheahan strumming along
We make a legit push.

Brassard looked good on paper on Rutherford never recovered.
God speed Jimmy

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

Yep. February 2018 the Pens died

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
11 shots on goal half way through the third period. So lame. The Bs shoot within a few seconds of gaining the zone. We try to put on a passing clinic until the Bs steal it. Wow. Has Sully lost it?

Reactions: JMM

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
11 shots on goal half way through the third period. So lame. The Bs shoot within a few seconds of gaining the zone. We try to put on a passing clinic until the Bs steal it. Wow. Has Sully lost it?

Eh. It’s one of those nights.
Unless this whole Rutherford resigning is deeper than we know

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Eh. It’s one of those nights.
Unless this whole Rutherford resigning is deeper than we know

He knows (like we all do) that this ship is going to be sinking fast with this current crop of big names who are at the ends of their careers and his hands were apparently tied in attempting to restock.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Boston 20, Pens 17 , that was the shot totals from last nights game. What the heck. I'm wondering what's going on ? I'm thinking they had better go all in now before they have to blow it up. I do think they need to move a few big names, but we shall see.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Boston 20, Pens 17 , that was the shot totals from last nights game. What the heck. I'm wondering what's going on ? I'm thinking they had better go all in now before they have to blow it up. I do think they need to move a few big names, but we shall see.

I would think that now is that time. Geno and Letang still have street value, and our crop of kids are doing well. Sid is still a very good player. (I think that he would be great if he shot more, but that's just me), and we are doing well in the division. I heard that not being able to trade Letang is why he stepped down. That would frustrate me too.