• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pens Hockey 2021?

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Boston 20, Pens 17 , that was the shot totals from last nights game. What the heck. I'm wondering what's going on ? I'm thinking they had better go all in now before they have to blow it up. I do think they need to move a few big names, but we shall see.

Well, if it’s true that Mario nixed a trade of Letang, I can assure you that Geno isn’t going anywhere. Production from “the big 3” is down from previous years, especially with Geno and Letang. That said, guys like Guentzel, Rust, Zucker aren’t doing much either. The Pens won two cups with team speed and it worked well, but it is an era that has passed. Teams have gotten bigger, faster and more physical, and the Pens can no longer lean on a couple aging superstars and a bunch of role players to carry them to glory. On top of that, Sullivan is stubborn and unwilling to adapt a formula that fits his players. He is as responsible for the decline as anyone IMO.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
I also heard "rumors" that GMJR wanted to trade Turnover Tanger and was close and had some parties talking about Malkin. Either Mario nixed it OR it was the opposite and he wouldn't move them. at this point unless Mario or Jim comes out, we will never know.

I do know that Sullivan's system is not working and will rarely beat Flyers, Caps and never Bruins. PP looks as bad as it always does, new coach or not. The fact that 71 and 58 feel the need to skate inside our blue in circles, turnover twice and then one of the HAVING to try to bring into zone. The 2nd PP looks much better. PK is always skating in circles and leaving someone wide open and not taking up lanes nor are sticks on the ice. The 3rd line is embarrassing the 2nd and even the 4th to some extent. Malkin once again gets surrounded by better players and brings those guys down as Crosby elevates the other players game. Put Zucker on with Jake and Sid and watch what happens. Rust back with Malkin and skating in quick sand. Not sure what games ownership watches or I know nothing about hockey.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
What's bizarre is that Malkin has that extra gear that only kicks in when Sid is out of the lineup. He seems to coast all other times. I think if he was "the guy" where ever he winds up he'd probably briefly get back to superstar level. The guy has the size (not the weight) and tools to be an Ovechkin but lacks the drive,,, at least when Sid is in the lineup.

Sid is going to retire as a Penguin so there's no doubt that Jekyl/Hyde mentality is going to change. So I hope they can get decent return for Malkin and Letang while they still can and help rebuild a solid core.

Side note: I really like the cut of the PO Joseph. Not sure about the rest of his game but he has no problem with making good hits out on the ice. Good to keep the opponent's head on a swivel.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Think we are gonna like Webber. Remembering him I think in that cup, and honestly I am surprised that I remembered him. Some reason he stuck out in that series, could be wrong? JO, reminds me of Maata when he first came up. I wish we had 3 more Tanev, Blueger, and Laffertys!

Oh and do we have the least amount of NHL time in our 2 goalies, both so young

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Reactions: JMM

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
2-1 after one works for me..Tanev& Zucker finding the back of the net. My boy Blue with a helper and Joseph with 2.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
PP gave up another shorty. The problem isn’t the system, it’s personnel. Tell me I’m wrong.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Say what you want, but the pp sucks without Letang.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Fixed it for ya. It sucks with Letang, too.

True, but we gave them two breakaways on the pp. DeSmith was just up for the first one.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
True, but we gave them two breakaways on the pp. DeSmith was just up for the first one.

Same **** happens with Letang in the lineup. None of what’s happened tonight is a revelation of any kind. Just a bad team with aging superstars that can’t do the things they could do 3-4 years ago. Time to rebuild.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Same **** happens with Letang in the lineup. None of what’s happened tonight is a revelation of any kind. Just a bad team with aging superstars that can’t do the things they could do 3-4 years ago. Time to rebuild.

I couldn't agree more. Sounds like that was the issue with Rutherford.

Truth is, we have some exciting young players to build with. I would like to keep Sid, but want him to become a shooter again.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. Sounds like that was the issue with Rutherford.

Truth is, we have some exciting young players to build with. I would like to keep Sid, but want him to become a shooter again.

I would be ok with keeping Sid also, but even he is becoming a liability anymore because he doesn’t shoot and tries to execute too many low percentage passes. This whole team has an issue with the stupid low percentage nonsense and it leaves them out of position and trying to run down breakaways. If it happened once in a while, that’s one thing, but it happens multiple times every game.

The Penguins have talent but they’re not a good team.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I would be ok with keeping Sid also, but even he is becoming a liability anymore because he doesn’t shoot and tries to execute too many low percentage passes. This whole team has an issue with the stupid low percentage nonsense and it leaves them out of position and trying to run down breakaways. If it happened once in a while, that’s one thing, but it happens multiple times every game.

The Penguins have talent but they’re not a good team.

Nailed it. The fact that it continues rests on Sully. Leadership is needed here.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Is it just me or do the Pens look a bit more aggressive on the forecheck since Letang got injured?

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Two more points. I would like to see a game where we are just in charge from the drop of the puck to the final moment.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Joseph looks like he belongs, at least so far. Too bad when everyone is healthy some scrub will play in the NHL ahead of him.