• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pens Hockey 2021?

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Letang is out. That should help.

Not if Churchman takes his place. That guy was in the minors for the last 7 years for good reason.

Letang does suck, though. He might be a third pair defenseman on a good night.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
And that, friends, is what happens when you go 0/5 on the PP and so called superstars keep coming up small. This team isn’t going anywhere and key pieces are pretty much dinosaurs at this point. Rebuild while you can get something for some of these guys.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
And that, friends, is what happens when you go 0/5 on the PP and so called superstars keep coming up small. This team isn’t going anywhere and key pieces are pretty much dinosaurs at this point. Rebuild while you can get something for some of these guys.

Crosby is staying.
Malkin needs to retire and Letang needs to retire if these guys want to be Pens lifers.

Sullivan may not make it this season

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Our power play is bad ... really bad. Sully needs to fix it - and soon.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Crosby is staying.
Malkin needs to retire and Letang needs to retire if these guys want to be Pens lifers.

Sullivan may not make it this season

It would almost be criminal if he did stay. The same old lame day in and day out needs to stop. He needs to sit some people if they don't pony up.

There is a good crop of young talent on this team. Let's rebuild on that.

Also, I can no longer defend Geno. It's just bad. Love the guy. It's time to hang them up, Sir.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
It would almost be criminal if he did stay. The same old lame day in and day out needs to stop. He needs to sit some people if they don't pony up.

There is a good crop of young talent on this team. Let's rebuild on that.

Also, I can no longer defend Geno. It's just bad. Love the guy. It's time to hang them up, Sir.

I believe Geno has juice left. I just think he is tired of Pittsburgh. Nobody with his talent falls off that bad that quick. Sure he'll say the right things in the press, but I'd bet money he's "dying alive" right about now.

As for Crosby, I don't think I'll ever really understand that dude. He has a good (not great) shot, and an excellent backhand, but he so rarely ever uses either of them. His first instinct on every rush is to set someone up when he has a clear shot, and when the set-up doesn't materialize and he no longer has a clear shot he forces a bad pass. Sometimes, it ends up in disaster, but mostly it's just a wasted opportunity. I'd love to see him shoot more, a lot more actually, because I think opponents know he's going to pass first 90% of the time and they are ready for it. Give them something else to think about. Shoot. Please.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I believe Geno has juice left. I just think he is tired of Pittsburgh. Nobody with his talent falls off that bad that quick. Sure he'll say the right things in the press, but I'd bet money he's "dying alive" right about now.

As for Crosby, I don't think I'll ever really understand that dude. He has a good (not great) shot, and an excellent backhand, but he so rarely ever uses either of them. His first instinct on every rush is to set someone up when he has a clear shot, and when the set-up doesn't materialize and he no longer has a clear shot he forces a bad pass. Sometimes, it ends up in disaster, but mostly it's just a wasted opportunity. I'd love to see him shoot more, a lot more actually, because I think opponents know he's going to pass first 90% of the time and they are ready for it. Give them something else to think about. Shoot. Please.

I have said this about Sid to the point that Mrs. Fan makes fun of me during games.

Like I said, our forecheck plan is to pass until the puck is turned over or stolen. It's very infuriating.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I have no pulse on this team. I do think they may be overdue for a coaching change and player movement. It's not that damn hard to play smarter,to shoot the damn puck when you've got a good opportunity. They've been playing since childhood, it really shouldn't take a whole **** ton of coaching.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I have no pulse on this team. I do think they may be overdue for a coaching change and player movement. It's not that damn hard to play smarter,to shoot the damn puck when you've got a good opportunity. They've been playing since childhood, it really shouldn't take a whole **** ton of coaching.

They’re overdue for something.
There is a mix of talent and speed on this team. They are just not being utilized to the best of their abilities.

I like Sullivan. The guy turned the Pens franchise around, but his philosophy doesn’t mingle with this bunch

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
They’re overdue for something.
There is a mix of talent and speed on this team. They are just not being utilized to the best of their abilities.

I like Sullivan. The guy turned the Pens franchise around, but his philosophy doesn’t mingle with this bunch

I think you're right. It's weird how some hockey coaches go from hero to zero pretty quick. Are they extra stubborn unwilling to adapt or do players get tired of them quicker. It's an oddity between this sport and other professional sports when it comes to coaching. I know they don't have much time to screw around this year because of the short season.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I think you're right. It's weird how some hockey coaches go from hero to zero pretty quick. Are they extra stubborn unwilling to adapt or do players get tired of them quicker. It's an oddity between this sport and other professional sports when it comes to coaching. I know they don't have much time to screw around this year because of the short season.

You would think Sully would want to leave. He can get a pay raise probably, and would be out of work about 43 minutes at best. Someone would hire him up quickly.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Geno just scored. Hell must be getting chilly.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Geno just scored. Hell must be getting chilly.

I'm not extremely knowledgeable about hockey, but I understand that if you shoot at the goal, chances are higher to score than when blindly dropping off the puck or making ill advised passes.. Way to go Geno. Try that again!

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
The Pens haven’t seen a shot they wouldn’t pass up. Good grief.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
This won’t be popular, but Crosby, Malkin and Letang are the anchors holding this team back. Players have good chances, and they defer to the big three way too much. And the big three make too many blind passes and try to pull off stupid low percentage **** that costs the team. It’s over. Rebuild.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not extremely knowledgeable about hockey, but I understand that if you shoot at the goal, chances are higher to score than when blindly dropping off the puck or making ill advised passes.. Way to go Geno. Try that again!

The worst shot is the shot you don’t take.
They’ve been pass happy for a few years already. Fans see it, coaches don’t or the players tune it out.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I missed it. I was watching the score for a little. It seems the same issue with trying to be cute vs taking quality shot opportunities. They know it too.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not extremely knowledgeable about hockey, but I understand that if you shoot at the goal, chances are higher to score than when blindly dropping off the puck or making ill advised passes.

I'm the same way. Never played it ... just a casual observer. But I figure if you shoot the puck: a. It goes in. b. Goalie stops it, but you get a face off in their end. c. Goalie doesn't make a clean catch and somebody gets a chance to jam home the rebound.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Was Jarry a one hit wonder? I don’t feel DeSmith is anything but a back up. It is time to get a defenseman, goalie and a hitter/fighter and move on from 58 and 71 while they can fetch something in return.

And 87, shoot the ******* puck. Stop the cute little passes and trying to set up everyone. You have earned selfishness, shoot non stop. Be an Ovie and a chucker. Shoot more and he will open his passing lanes for your cute little passes you love so much

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app