• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

7-5 and we found our QB for the rest of the season

madinsomniac

Reaction score
You think Randy Fichtner is an upgrade? Really? Have you watched any of the games? Randy Fichtner is the person holding this team back more than anything else. No rhythm, rhyme or reason to the vast majority of his play calls. The guy sucks.

I was typing a much less nice response... thank you for clearly summarizing my point!

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I am 90% certain there is a coach thread out there claiming that Washington wasn’t a good deep threat for us to get and the only reason he was good in college was Rudolph giving him accurate deep passes lol... Washington basically was the only reason Duck didn’t get benched last game... and he has become our best run blocking wr as well... he is definitely more of a bouldin than a speed deep threat though, but it takes all kinds...

Bricks56

Reaction score
It’s really unbelievable we are 7-5. Really great coaching and this season should give Tomlin another extension.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
It’s really unbelievable we are 7-5. Really great coaching and this season should give Tomlin another extension.

Its very probable that Tomlin will retire or move on once Ben retires... I doubt it was a coincidence that the last extension was just a single year

In he near future the Rooneys will ask him to fire Fichner or Danny smith or another friend of his and I am not sure he will do it...

Frankly i think anything he does in the regular season is irrelevant right now anyhow... if he cannot win in the playoffs he won’t be here much longer than his current extension anyhow... injuries be damned...

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Here is the one fact that doesn't support Tomlin haters or lovers. (I usually fall somewhere in between) The team has made it very difficult to blame a coach and hold them accountable.Because they throw out this shared persona where we have no idea who is responsible for what. Outside of the OC. Ultimately it is the HC who signs off on everything so he gets a fair share of the credit or blame. Cooch so when you slam Tomlin but praise Butler you should keep that in mind. I know I know you have an agenda to follow. Win and make the playoffs I am happy, don't I won't be. Out if the gates the team sucked ***, rebounded well. But the measuring stick is entering the home stretch. How well the teams season is looked back on will be judged in what they do in the final month of the season or should be. There should be no shiny pins for a non losing season and no hatred for a playoff appearance. For after all you are in it to win it. So kudos if you give yourself a fighting chance, and venom if you don't.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey clueless. I call 10-6 or better often. I expect to make the playoffs often. We have a lot of talent. That’s how.

The coaching remains a handicap. Try following the game thread and you’ll get a hint.

Butler looks pretty good right now. And I’ve always said randy Is an upgrade over todd.

Weren’t you the guy who felt that Rudy would be a solid NFL player? Yes you were. Dumbass

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Classic Coach...

I’m clueless? You call 10-6 often? You really are a horse’s ***. You call 10-6, a winning record and playoff viable 90% of the time, but bash the coaching staff constantly, questions every move the GM/coaches do and piss on the owner for keeping the coach who gets you “10-6 records”. You talk more crap out of both sides of your mouth than a person getting a enema, you sanctimonious peacock.

I don’t follow the game thread. I watch the games. Emotional responses get in the way of enjoying the game. As Coolie said, the naysayers usually are gone with a win. Credit to those who crow up when they do win.

“Butler looks pretty good now.....” You can’t even help yourself. The defense is a top 5 squad and you won’t acknowledge it without an exit strategy. Butler has the pieces he needs to run the scheme, plain and simple. What’s the reason for Bud’s season? Could it be Butler being his LB coach as well as DC?

As for Fichtner, had a pretty good show last year, you know when he had a starting future HOF QB, couple of great WRs and their starting RB. This year game planning with two young QBs, 3rd/4th string WRs and RBs......yeah, I’d say a little less to work with.

Oh, and I still think Rudolph can be a solid player. He’s only played, what 9 games, and you want to wash him out? This is why you have no support for your “evaluation skills”, because you can’t evaluate. Period. Dumb ***.

So, continue to do what you do best and keep your time limited on the board and more on your narcissistic view of yourself. Such the keyboard hero you are.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Mason was progressing nicely until he took the hit in Baltimore. That seemed to throw him for a loop and play with hesitance.
Duck seems fearless, which makes him the best option now. I'd sign up Charlie Batch as a QB coach, he could help both these
young guys and would seem like a perfect fit for Hodges.

As a side note, the current WR core, might be the youngest in Steeler history. I'm not sure you can get much younger, particularly with JuJu out.

mdk2

Reaction score
Mason was progressing nicely until he took the hit in Baltimore. That seemed to throw him for a loop and play with hesitance.
Duck seems fearless, which makes him the best option now. I'd sign up Charlie Batch as a QB coach, he could help both these
young guys and would seem like a perfect fit for Hodges.

As a side note, the current WR core, might be the youngest in Steeler history. I'm not sure you can get much younger, particularly with JuJu out.

Crazy thing is that Juju is younger than any other WR on the roster still.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
The young Wr factor is totally ignored by most too... traditionally wrs take a minimum of two years to even start contributing on a regular basis, just cause coaching staffs rarely trust them to read and run correct routes yet... if we had some useful vets, half these guys might take years to see the field...

Add to that that Ray ******* Sherman is teaching them... i mean that whole position is ****** royally

Bricks56

Reaction score
Its very probable that Tomlin will retire or move on once Ben retires... I doubt it was a coincidence that the last extension was just a single year

In he near future the Rooneys will ask him to fire Fichner or Danny smith or another friend of his and I am not sure he will do it...

Frankly i think anything he does in the regular season is irrelevant right now anyhow... if he cannot win in the playoffs he won’t be here much longer than his current extension anyhow... injuries be damned...

ca2fb93639d725f6c8cf7061dde456c4.gif

madinsomniac

Reaction score

The Steelers have never done a one year extension before this last extension, it means something is up...
there are several logical conclusions
A. Tomlin didn’t want a longer extension... the extension was exactly as long as bens contract lasts, so it’s reasonable that he may simply not wish to coach here during a rebuilding time, or maybe he simply wants to walk away....

B. The team is preparing for an escape plan... people act like the rooneys give coaches an unlimited tenure with no interference at all... this isn’t true, or at least it hasn’t been in the past... they came awfully close to firing cowher in the early 2000’s, and have occasionally demanded
Staff changes of the head coach... the actual parallels between right now and the end of the Noll era are staggering... read this:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/day-chuck-noll-retired-104025286.html

With how this season has gone, the expectations for next year will be astronomical... another missed playoffs or early exit and they will likely at a minimum demand Fitchner or Butler be replaced (Tomlin is basically the de facto DC this season) ... it’s possible that Tomlin balks at that... The Rooneys expect playoff success and that isn’t happening here lately...

C. Its not all the Rooney’s call... The rooney family doesn’t own a majority of the Steelers anymore... they simply are the largest stakeholder in a bigger group of owners... its no secret that at least a few have been critical of Tomlin... if several of these owners grouped together... they could force Tomlin out... its plausible that the single year extension was a compromise between the Tomlin loyalists and the ones displeased with his results...

Tomlin could have a coach of the year season and even win a playoff game, and still be a year or two from being removed, as with Noll...

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Time for Wig's "Wig responds to a bunch of ****" post...

I disagree, Duck played better today than Mason ever has and did it without Pouncey or Ju-Ju.
I was happy with Hodges. He started out pretty much doing exactly what Rudolph had been doing and when the Steelers started getting behind, the coaches seemingly got a little bolder. I don't think Hodges played a GREAT game, I think James Washington played a great ******* game. But it takes two to tango, so thank you Duck, for putting the ball in the general zip-code and allowing Washington the opportunity to be great.

Accuracy is the main thing, with Duck our WR's and even TE's become more of a factor. He throws it down the field.*
He did throw it down the field a bit. In fact, at least twice the threw into double-coverage and Washington made ridiculously great catches. The truth is, Hodges took some pretty big risks and they paid off, but let's not pretend he was throwing guys open or anything like that. He was basically following the play and just letting the ball go. That aint all bad, but it aint all good either.

To me, Hodges is just the better, more confident passer between him and Rudolph.
I agree with this at the moment. I think Rudolph is just suffering from the jitters after that huge hit and concussion and I think because he's been a bit hesitant the coaches have shackled him down even more. Rudolph (in my opinion) is a better QB than Hodges, but he's just hesitant and shell-shocked and as such he's not being effective.

B()LLSHIT. I felt Hodges was our best back up in camp and noted his completion % in camp was the best since they keep those stats. Over 70%.*
From a numbers only perspective, Hodges is certainly a bit more accurate than Rudolph. Although it should be noted that the first few games, Rudolph was ridiculously accurate at the short crap over the middle. True, they didn't go for much yardage, but it's not like he was throwing the ball wildly. And if you detract the significant number of drops Rudolph had to suffer through before his Ravens bludgeoning, you could argue that he was certainly at least as accurate as Hodges before he became half-vegetable. However, at the end of the day, you have to respect the guy who's playing a bit more aggressively right now and that appears to be Hodges. But Coach, you don't need to attack Rudolph to make Hodges look better. Ultimately, they are essentially the exact same guy.

Both TD passes top Washington probably would not have been complete with Rudloph in there. His accuracy beyond 5 years was something like 41%. Clearly Hodges is more accurate, and that's key.*
See... pretty much everything Washington caught today was a ******* circus catch miracle. The TD he basically juggled between two receivers and himself and snatched on the ground was a terrible decision by Hodges. It SHOULD have been picked as well as at least 2 other deep throws to Washington. James was a ******* stud out there yesterday. I will credit Hodges for putting the ball up there for Washington to go after. But don't pretend those were all-star throws. They were all-star catches.

Rudolph and Hodges can both benefit of a good quarterback coach to help them tune in their game.
A-*******-Men! Ben could too. Why this team doesn't have an established QB coach (particularly THIS season) is a ******* mystery.

and we suddenly found a return man with Whyte, who I think should run the ball a bit more.
3 rushes for 10 yards! Dayum! Well at least Jaylen Samuels didn't outrush him... Oh - wait. Nevermind. Well, we can be certain that Benny ******* Snell didn't have a better day. Er... Nevermind. At the end of the day, Whyte is apparently the new flavor of the month. (Let's not be confused. I'm all for a decent return guy. I am starting to feel as though Switz aint it. ;-)

The catches the WR made were more difficult with Mason at QB.
It seems that way because they were dropping ******* everything. In one game, I think they credited 5 official drops and there were probably more like 8 or 9. They ******* FIRED a free agent receiver because he personally gave up 2 interceptions on balls that went through his hands. Even JuJu has had 4 or 5 drops this year of absolutely catchable balls. And then you have a couple plays were D.J. bopped to the Alligator Rock on some passes over the middle. At the end of the day, Mason Rudolph is not the greatest QB in the world, but it can't be stated strongly enough that the receivers NEVER put up a game like they did yesterday. Again, the biggest problem Mason has is hesitancy, and in the current NFL you simply cannot hesitate. You don't have that kind of time.

You go straight to HELL! ;-)

Muddler

Reaction score
A. Tomlin didn’t want a longer extension...

B. The team is preparing for an escape plan... people act like the rooneys give coaches an unlimited tenure with no interference at all... this isn’t true, or at least it hasn’t been in the past... they came awfully close to firing cowher in the early 2000’s, and have occasionally demanded
Staff changes of the head coach...

C. Its not all the Rooney’s call...

I'd go with B. I think the one year extension was a "shot across the bow". Last year was a bitter disappointment for the franchise. The season ended on an incredible downer with a string of losses and all the AB turmoil. I think the Rooney's finally got tired of it and decided they had to at least do something. It was a weak something and I don't imagine it will amount to much. My guess is Tomlin stays until he gets a better offer and Fichtner stays as long as he and Ben stay friends. Now Danny Smith....he at least has to go. We have a great kicker and our punter has finally come around but the rest of our STs have sucked for years.

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
C. Its not all the Rooney’s call... The rooney family doesn’t own a majority of the Steelers anymore... they simply are the largest stakeholder in a bigger group of owners... its no secret that at least a few have been critical of Tomlin... if several of these owners grouped together... they could force Tomlin out... its plausible that the single year extension was a compromise between the Tomlin loyalists and the ones displeased with his results...

I thought that the Rooney's were still the majority owner at just a hair over 50%. I could well be wrong, but thought that was the case.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey clueless. I call 10-6 or better often. I expect to make the playoffs often. We have a lot of talent. That’s how.

The coaching remains a handicap. Try following the game thread and you’ll get a hint.

Butler looks pretty good right now. And I’ve always said randy Is an upgrade over todd.

Weren’t you the guy who felt that Rudy would be a solid NFL player? Yes you were. Dumbass

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

seriously? coaching is the handicap?

to recap, we are playing or have played without:
1) our #1 QB
2) our #1 WR
3) our #1 RB
4) our starting Center
5) our stud DE

What we have:
An undrafted QB who didnt even make the initial roster; a 2nd round WR who's 3rd in the WR pecking order, a 3rd round rookie WR who's now 1st in the WR pecking order, a rookie RB given the heavy loads between the tackles, an undrafted RB who was just added to the team two weeks ago getting a good supply of game time and a 5th round RB who's being used as a RB and a wildcard in the Wildcat gimmick offense.
Our defense is also leading the league in INTs and Fumbles forced. A guy whom we traded for is now leading the league in INTs. Our defense is 5th in yards per game; 13th in rushing yards per game and 7th in passing yards per game. Though if you removed the first game of the season, our defensive stats spiral upwards (as would other teams if they removed their worst game).

We started 0-3, then went 1-4, and are now 7-5 holding onto the final wildcard spot at the moment. We'll face Buffalo in two weeks and that could be for the 5th seed as the season ends, if we continue playing as we have.

Yet you want to say "The coaching remains a handicap."

Og kcuf flesruoy

**intentionally typed backwards just for you**

SteveA

Reaction score
Yeah because 14/21 221 yards 1TD/1INT isn't almost exactly like every one of Mason's stat lines.

**** that stat line. The eye test is all I need. MR is scared under center, and Duck is cool as a clear blue mountain lake

NCSteelerfan

Reaction score
seriously? coaching is the handicap?

to recap, we are playing or have played without:
1) our #1 QB
2) our #1 WR
3) our #1 RB
4) our starting Center
5) our stud DE

What we have:
An undrafted QB who didnt even make the initial roster; a 2nd round WR who's 3rd in the WR pecking order, a 3rd round rookie WR who's now 1st in the WR pecking order, a rookie RB given the heavy loads between the tackles, an undrafted RB who was just added to the team two weeks ago getting a good supply of game time and a 5th round RB who's being used as a RB and a wildcard in the Wildcat gimmick offense.
Our defense is also leading the league in INTs and Fumbles forced. A guy whom we traded for is now leading the league in INTs. Our defense is 5th in yards per game; 13th in rushing yards per game and 7th in passing yards per game. Though if you removed the first game of the season, our defensive stats spiral upwards (as would other teams if they removed their worst game).

We started 0-3, then went 1-4, and are now 7-5 holding onto the final wildcard spot at the moment. We'll face Buffalo in two weeks and that could be for the 5th seed as the season ends, if we continue playing as we have.

Yet you want to say "The coaching remains a handicap."

Og kcuf flesruoy

**intentionally typed backwards just for you**

LOL......I come in and read and don't post very often, at least not like I used to, but let me say............I stopped reading Cooch's posts years ago when his ultra awesome talent scouting abilities assessed Troy Polamalu was not that talented because of the size of his head.

Please tell me you still have that pic of little Troy with the huge helmet head. Funniest ........****...........ever!

nitsuj1225

Reaction score
**** that stat line. The eye test is all I need. MR is scared under center, and Duck is cool as a clear blue mountain lake

As long as he doesn't get pressured from the right, in which case he runs right into it. Or how about from the left when he tried to throw left handed and fumbled.

I agree Mason is scared now but I didn't get that impression before his hit.

If we're going by the eye test the WRs made plays for Duck but didn't for Mason, how's that for an eye test.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Some early numbers on Duck, he might be better than we think.

While Duck hasn't played enough for a full evaluation, we can say he's 3-0 in games played where he passed it 10 times or more. You could say he's had about 2 1/2 games of action as the Quarterback. But where does he stack up with the other starting Quarterbacks, statistically speaking?

Passer rating: 97.0 Only 12 staring quarterbacks are better.

Completion percentage: 67.2% Only 8 starting QB's are better.

Percentage of passes that go for first downs: 39.3%. Only 6 starting QB's are better.

These are not what you expect from a back - up quarterback, and he's doing it without our best receiver or running back playing. I hope he starts the rest of the season, so we get a better feel of how good he can be, but right now, I must say I'm a little giddy on his start.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
You back tracking SB...SMH...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Steeler Nation mobile app

Why wouldn't you like our chances to make the playoffs? We are the #6 seed now. Please explain? This will be really funny. It has nothing to do with backtracking, it was a present day comment. I think the team is better off with Duck, and has the defense and special teams are very good.

We play two bad teams and the Ravens who might be resting their players on the last week of the season.

YKSAF.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
While Duck hasn't played enough for a full evaluation, we can say he's 3-0 in games played where he passed it 10 times or more. You could say he's had about 2 1/2 games of action as the Quarterback. But where does he stack up with the other starting Quarterbacks, statistically speaking?

Passer rating: 97.0 Only 12 staring quarterbacks are better.

Completion percentage: 67.2% Only 8 starting QB's are better.

Percentage of passes that go for first downs: 39.3%. Only 6 starting QB's are better.

These are not what you expect from a back - up quarterback, and he's doing it without our best receiver or running back playing. I hope he starts the rest of the season, so we get a better feel of how good he can be, but right now, I must say I'm a little giddy on his start.

giphy.gif

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Classic Coach...

I’m clueless? You call 10-6 often? You really are a horse’s ***. You call 10-6, a winning record and playoff viable 90% of the time, but bash the coaching staff constantly, questions every move the GM/coaches do and piss on the owner for keeping the coach who gets you “10-6 records”. You talk more crap out of both sides of your mouth than a person getting a enema, you sanctimonious peacock.

I don’t follow the game thread. I watch the games. Emotional responses get in the way of enjoying the game. As Coolie said, the naysayers usually are gone with a win. Credit to those who crow up when they do win.

“Butler looks pretty good now.....” You can’t even help yourself. The defense is a top 5 squad and you won’t acknowledge it without an exit strategy. Butler has the pieces he needs to run the scheme, plain and simple. What’s the reason for Bud’s season? Could it be Butler being his LB coach as well as DC?

As for Fichtner, had a pretty good show last year, you know when he had a starting future HOF QB, couple of great WRs and their starting RB. This year game planning with two young QBs, 3rd/4th string WRs and RBs......yeah, I’d say a little less to work with.

Oh, and I still think Rudolph can be a solid player. He’s only played, what 9 games, and you want to wash him out? This is why you have no support for your “evaluation skills”, because you can’t evaluate. Period. Dumb ***.

So, continue to do what you do best and keep your time limited on the board and more on your narcissistic view of yourself. Such the keyboard hero you are.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

The fact that you " think " Rudolph can be a solid player underscores you know zero about the QB position. What does he doe well? Rudy when he was playing, looked worse than every rookie QB I saw and year and didn't look as good as the 2nd year QB's either. He lives on turnovers and defensive scores.

Tomlin's ineptness has been well documented here. What is he some sort of hero to you?