• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

7-5 and we found our QB for the rest of the season

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
He did ok. Missed some open passes, the Int was ugly and he should have sat on it on the one play instead of throwing it. Which stopped the clock. He had good and bad plays. I like how he played overall but there is some things to work on. Happy for the win more than anything.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

That int wasn't on him at all. You got to let it fly a little early and trust your guy. There's a reason why rookies don't see the field much. In the Steelers case they have zero choice in the matter. Hopefully when they go over game film this week they can correct issues with the QB and wideouts.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Your blinded by your typical agenda... hodges made more than his share of blunders... the wrs caught balls that they dropped for Rudolph, and the browns didn’t make plays on the contested balls...

Look we need the oline and wrs to do better regardless of whom is in... but lets not act like Washington didn’t make this a win instead of another sad offensive showing...

B()LLSHIT. I felt Hodges was our best back up in camp and noted his completion % in camp was the best since they keep those stats. Over 70%. I was upset when they kept Dobbs instead who I felt was a waste of a 4th round pick. I was equally happy when they traded Dobbs and gave Duck a spot.

The WR's caught catchable passes today because Duck can hit a man on the move. The football was on target and catchable. Rudy was high, lower, or behind his man too often. And no Johnson dropped a slant today that could have went for big time yardage if he caught it.. The interception was on Johnson as well. It was a deep GO route, and he stopped.

Both TD passes top Washington probably would not have been complete with Rudloph in there. His accuracy beyond 5 years was something like 41%. Clearly Hodges is more accurate, and that's key. Also he can pass out of the end zone, or on 3rd down late in the game when we need a first.

Just imagine if he started sooner, or had more reps in cap, or Ju-Ju back? This is a rookie QB, here, not a 2nd year man who knows the playbook, and had most of the practice. I think we are an 8-4 team if Duck took the snaps once Ben got hurt, not 7-5.

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but he got the W and made more than his share of game changing plays. Mason got a good, long look. he ain't it. We have a good shot to make the playoffs, the defense will dictate how far we go if and when we get there.

nitsuj1225

Reaction score
No way in hell.....

Yeah because 14/21 221 yards 1TD/1INT isn't almost exactly like every one of Mason's stat lines. And that was with how many drops by Mason's WRs while it seemed like they caught everything today.

Listen I don't give 2 ***** about who the QB is unless we win but to say Duck is far superior to Mason right now is just not watching the same game I am.

I saw a rookie QB who made some mistakes and put up some nice deep balls while WRs made plays... exactly what Mason did except his WRs weren't making many plays for him.

To be clear I'm not disagreeing with Coach's premise that Duck is the starter the rest of the year...just want to see him improve if we're going to make and go anywhere in the playoffs.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Nobody cares. Chances are we could make it as a wild card, then exit as quickly as we came.

Also as good a chance that Mason starts again some time this season. But again. It's all bs , and a. Non factor.

Outside of an injury, I see a near-zero chance Mason starts. I disagree, we can win a wild card game with Duck at QB. The defense is very good, the kicking and putting game is very good, and we suddenly found a return man with Whyte, who I think should run the ball a bit more. We might also have a deep threat with Cain...just give him a chance.

This team has some good things going for it, and now that we don't have a QB holding us back. I think Ju-ju will shine with Duck, and Pouncey is coming back soon from suspension.

I am not sold on the Ravens. What did Jackson pass for 105 yards today? Just pound the guy, and you'll win. New England has no offense, just a great coach and defense. Buffalo is gritty, but lacks the offense needed to beat the better teams, I think. KC, when healthy, might be the best in the AFC. My point is, the top teams in the AFC are not really that talented or as good as their record indicates. They are just beating the bad teams constantly.

Heck, yes, we can win a playoff game this year.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Yeah because 14/21 221 yards 1TD/1INT isn't almost exactly like every one of Mason's stat lines. And that was with how many drops by Mason's WRs while it seemed like they caught everything today.

Listen I don't give 2 ***** about who the QB is unless we win but to say Duck is far superior to Mason right now is just not watching the same game I am.

I saw a rookie QB who made some mistakes and put up some nice deep balls while WRs made plays... exactly what Mason did except his WRs weren't making many plays for him.

To be clear I'm not disagreeing with Coach's premise that Duck is the starter the rest of the year...just want to see him improve if we're going to make and go anywhere in the playoffs.

The catches the WR made were more difficult with Mason at QB. How can you not see that? Also Rudy had no mid game. Terrible on slants, and and held the ball too long. Rudy did not see the field as well and was a disaster when backed up or sacked in risk of a fumble. I think it's clear who the WR's like throwing it.

14-21 is a good passing game. Had he throw in 35 times, he's over 300 yards.

Duck does not need to throw it for 300 yards for the Steelers to win a playoff game He just needs to be an accurate passer, and not throw more INT's than TD's

Key Stat. The Steelers are 3-0 when Duck passes it 10 times or more. While he didn't get a chance to throw it 10 times or more vs the Ravens, he bought us back and had them on the ropes WR mistake cost us. We were that close to beating the Ravens, and Duck is the reason why.

I say Duck is better than Rudloph. " far superior " are your words. If you think Rudy is better just say so. While Duck has a lot to learn, he can get better now that he is the starter. In sports sometimes they say he just has it. Rudy will never have " it "

Last edited:

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
right now, duck gives us a better chance to win. I don't think MR is a bad qb, I think he has not been the same since he got knocked out. it will be interesting to see who the back up is next year.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
The catches the WR made were more difficult with Mason at QB. How can you not see that? Also Rudy had no mid game. Terrible on slants, and and held the ball too long. Rudy did not see the field as well and was a disaster when backed up or sacked in risk of a fumble. I think it's clear who the WR's like throwing it.

Duck does not need to throw it for 300 yards for the Steelers to win a playoff game He just needs to be an accurate passer, and not throw more INT's than TD's

Key Stat. The Steelers are 3-0 when Duck passes it 10 times or more. While he didn't get a chance to throw it 10 times or more vs the Ravens, he bought us back and had them on the ropes WR mistake cost us. We were that close to beating the Ravens, and Duck is the reason why.

I say Duck is better than Rudloph. " far superior " are your words. If you think Rudy is better just say so. While Duck has a lot to learn, he can get better now that he is the starter. In sports sometimes they say he just has it. Rudy will never have " it "

duck is not the reason why we almost beat the Ravens. our defense held LJ in check

xjx

Reaction score
Duck beat Phil Rivers and Mayfield this year. Weren't they both first round picks?

nitsuj1225

Reaction score

So WRs literally having balls go through their hands for multiple INTs were more difficult than what Washington did today? Are you kidding me?

I already said I think Duck is where Mason was prior to him getting knocked out. I never said nor do I believe Mason is better right now. Mason regressed and never looked the same so Duck is clearly the better option right now. I was responding to someone who said Mason was never as good as Duck when I believe that is false. In my opinion they were one in the same but Duck looks much more comfortable than Mason right now. My point was I hope he improves instead of what happened with Mason who seemed to regress, but understandably after a vicious hit.

Duck was inches away from producing a bonehead turnover in the redzone and could have cost us the game by stopping the clock before giving it back to Cleveland at the end. Rookie mistakes that need improving. How can you refute that?

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Snell looked great.

Granted we're not Ground Chuck, but it's fun to see a legitimate running game getting started rather than being just a side show. Nothing takes the wind out of the sails of a defense faster than getting run over. Critical to have in my opinion this time of year when the weather starts getting harsh.

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Duck started a bit shaky but he rounded out and played better as the game wore on. My hat is off to the kid for today's performance. I wouldn't anoint him king just yet, but certainly seems to be the best option to win right now. In the long run, I do worry a bit about his height. Did anyone see him standing beside his linemen? That has to impair his downfield vision a bit. Also, teams will get some film on him and adjust to what he is doing so lets just see how it evolves week to week. Washington came up with some sweet catches and Snell also had a good day as well. Defense balled again. They took two pretty good WR's out of the game and I don't care what anyone says...Chub and Hunt are a dangerous duo. It was a good team win and there really shouldn't be a question on who starts under center next week.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
So WRs literally having balls go through their hands for multiple INTs were more difficult than what Washington did today? Are you kidding me?

I already said I think Duck is where Mason was prior to him getting knocked out. I never said nor do I believe Mason is better right now. Mason regressed and never looked the same so Duck is clearly the better option right now. I was responding to someone who said Mason was never as good as Duck when I believe that is false. In my opinion they were one in the same but Duck looks much more comfortable than Mason right now. My point was I hope he improves instead of what happened with Mason who seemed to regress, but understandably after a vicious hit.

Duck was inches away from producing a bonehead turnover in the redzone and could have cost us the game by stopping the clock before giving it back to Cleveland at the end. Rookie mistakes that need improving. How can you refute that?

I disagree, Duck is better now than Rudloph ever was and showed in this game. He brought us back to win today. Rudolph just is not accurate...the offense punts a lot when he's in there. He's also more turnover prone. The offense struggles to score with Rudy at QB, key word Offense.

I think Rudolph is a sitting duck too often in the pocket. His escape ability isn't as good and he hold the ball too long. He's also fumble probe when hit. Duck can run, sees the field better and IMO take a better hit.

Rudy was inches away from some picks too, and IMO the WR's made better catches for him.

Yes, Rookie mistakes need improvement I think you'll see some.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I like our chances to make the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

How?

You have pounded in the dirt for years the HC/DC & OC are terrible. They can’t prepare, can’t game-plan, can’t adjust to the ebb and flow of the game. Basically just a worthless pile of nobodies who won off of Cowher’s players.

You going to put it all on the players? You know the PS squad QB, and WRs? But of course! You are never wrong!.......in your own mind that is. You really need to get that pie hole checked out. The Diarrhea of the Mouth condition is definitely chronic.

They may or may not make the playoffs. They control their own destiny and hopefully TN or HOU falls off. But look at what skill players on offense this team had compared to what CLE had......

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
How?

You have pounded in the dirt for years the HC/DC & OC are terrible. They can’t prepare, can’t game-plan, can’t adjust to the ebb and flow of the game. Basically just a worthless pile of nobodies who won off of Cowher’s players.

You going to put it all on the players? You know the PS squad QB, and WRs? But of course! You are never wrong!.......in your own mind that is. You really need to get that pie hole checked out. The Diarrhea of the Mouth condition is definitely chronic.

They may or may not make the playoffs. They control their own destiny and hopefully TN or HOU falls off. But look at what skill players on offense this team had compared to what CLE had......

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Wasn't Mayfield and the Browns were Coach's pick to win our division this season? He put Mayfield up with the best of the best I believe.

6Lombardis

Reaction score
It seems Duck is willing to let his WRs make a play, something JW seems to do pretty well, contested catches. Mason takes the dump down rather than giving his guys a chance to make plays Also, it looked to me like at least two designed run plays for Duck, that’s a facet of his game Mason does not have. He’s made plays running in each game he’s played.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
I'll say right now duck looks to be our best chance to get to that vaunted 8-8. All the rest is horseshit.

Reactions: wig

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Until Duck ***** the bed, let him do his thing. It's not pretty, but he is getting the job done. All we ask is for a chance and he's giving it to us. When he's under center, I am more confident then when Mason was. I don't know if we'll make the PO, but we put the nail in the Browns' season and that feels freakin' fantastic! Thank you Duck!