• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why is nobody ripping sCam Newton???

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
He could have salvaged a chance for them to win had he gone after the fumble. He stood there like he thought it was an incomplete pass. It will be interesting to hear his explanation for the complete lack of effort, assuming he ever gives one.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn...after seeing the Broncos defense embarrass the Panthers, it really makes you really appreciate what Ben and the offense did against that D.

My exact words in the sb thread yesterday

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
Cleve must be the happiest mutherfucka on the planet today. Just kidding, I'm sure he is, still, a miserable prick.

I suspect Cam's performance, particularly when combined with the stolen laptops and his general thugishness, is justification for a lynching. At the very least he should lose his voting rights, or a fraction of them.

Steelerfreak

Reaction score
The true test of a man is what he does in adversity.

He fumbled that ball. He knew it. He had an opportunity to get it, and simply went into self preservation mode.

I dont care what he says about his team mates, all the fun he has celebrating with them, and taking victory pics with 2:30 to go. The real Clark Kent showed himself on that play.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Denver's D is great until they come across a team with speed across the board, like the Steelers. Sure, they can stop one speedster, for the most part but when the Steelers put 4 on the field at one time, they couldn't stop us. And, the only reason Seattle did was because they held and had no calls on PI throughout the game. If the Steelers are relatively healthy next year, no D can stop our O.

tdub88

Reaction score
This thread is racist......

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I think it was a lack of maturity just as much as it was being a jerk. If you look at his mini-tantrums (TV showed one in his own end zone, and one on the sidelines), you have to wonder why he's acting like a 3 year-old. I think when he grows up a little and becomes a man, he'll be fine. Then again, some guys never grow up, so only time will tell.

He's not a rookie or 2nd-year player. He's a man now. And he's too into his own image to change. Newton's interview with JB just before the super bowl started showed a smug punk with racy undertones.

Some guys fall apart after a game like this. We'll see if Newton can redeem himself.

hcmd

Reaction score
Think that Ben R. Kid might amount to somthing.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't much like Newton. That said, the hit in the endzone was late. It should have drawn a flag.

I don't care much for the Panthers, but if you were watching closely, the Broncos didn't draw much, if any flags in the 2nd half. There was clearly an agenda going on as Peyton began to show that he simply could do absolutely nothing on offense.

The Broncos defense was absolutely exceptional. They were an amazing display of old-school football. Peyton Manning put forward the saddest display of Superbowl QB play ever. (Yes, I know Ben's QB rating was lower, but he actually ran for a TD and got the ball to Hines at the 2 which lead to a score. Peyton never smelled anything like that. His defense and special teams did every damn thing in that game. That was probably Eli's disgust in that game. It was like watching a kid let an old man win at basketball. Eli gets it...)

Anyway, Newton was undoubtedly frustrated with that defense. They were kicking his *** all over the field, but that hit WAS late.

As for his really pathetic post-game "interview" for all the Star Trek buffs out there, there's a reason you have to go through the unbeatable scenario...
Kobayashi Maru

How you deal with defeat is just as important as how you deal with victory. There are times when you simply can't find a way to win.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
As I have said...nothing could be finer living here in Caroliner and see Cam Newton showing his true colors. His play, his press conference adds up to a embarrassment to the Panthers as well as NFL voting MVP. He caused Carolina to lose that game yet he has taken no reasonability for it, showing up in his hoody all mumbling to the press, be the MVP, be the leader, be the QB all are afraid of, not the individual you showed walking out of the post game.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
This game was lost for the Panthers at that point. It was all up to their defense and they almost did it but IMO the Super Bowl ended with 4 minutes to go in the 3rd QTR.

Not sure it took that long...........

SANTA CLARA, Calif. – On the sixth snap of Cam Newton's Super Bowl, Von Miller charged at him from the edge, hit him face first and promptly ripped the football out of his hands. Just tore it out.

This was grown man stuff. This was violent, blunt-force defense. This was the best player on the Denver Broncos confronting the best player on the Carolina Panthers, and just taking what he wanted – the ball, the Super Bowl, his football soul for the next few hours.

"That play did it," Denver linebacker Brandon Marshall said. "That play rattled [Newton]. We got in his head like that. We got in his mind. He hasn't been harassed like that all season."

http://news.yahoo.com/von-miller-s-...n-set-tone-for-broncos-defense-071049986.html

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure it took that long...........

SANTA CLARA, Calif. – On the sixth snap of Cam Newton's Super Bowl, Von Miller charged at him from the edge, hit him face first and promptly ripped the football out of his hands. Just tore it out.

This was grown man stuff. This was violent, blunt-force defense. This was the best player on the Denver Broncos confronting the best player on the Carolina Panthers, and just taking what he wanted – the ball, the Super Bowl, his football soul for the next few hours.

"That play did it," Denver linebacker Brandon Marshall said. "That play rattled [Newton]. We got in his head like that. We got in his mind. He hasn't been harassed like that all season."

http://news.yahoo.com/von-miller-s-...n-set-tone-for-broncos-defense-071049986.html

I saw him at the end of the 2nd Qtr, walking like he didn't even want to be there. No fire, no pep in his step and a scowl on his face. He for sure didn't look like he was happy to be in a super bowl. Almost looked apathetic, the announcers even commented about the slow pace.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Irvin was getting on him after the game about that play. This shouldn't be news to anyone, he's acted like a pouting 3 year old after losses before. Yes he deserves a ton of blame, if you're going to throw yourself out there, doing 2 minute long dancing celebrations in the endzone, rubbing it in the opponents face, taking team photos on the sideline dabbing, calling yourself something no one has seen before, blah, blah, blah, then you get most of the blame. If you're that great then do something!

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I saw him at the end of the 2nd Qtr, walking like he didn't even want to be there. No fire, no pep in his step and a scowl on his face. He for sure didn't look like he was happy to be in a super bowl. Almost looked apathetic, the announcers even commented about the slow pace.

Typical self centered player, when all is going well he's superman and the life of the team, but when there's any adversity he shrinks.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1276750292352152&id=100000515806989

Peyton Manning storms off Super Bowl field. Is he a poor sport?
By Chris Chase

Peyton Manning(notes) didn't shake hands with New Orleans Saints players after his Indianapolis Colts lost 31-17 in Super Bowl XLIV. Apparently some think this is a sign of poor sportsmanship from the NFL's greatest player. It's not.
Walking off the field without congratulating Drew Brees(notes) may go against our misguided notion of what sportsmanship should be, but it wasn't at all disrespectful or bitter. It shows how much Peyton Manning wanted to win the game. And who can argue about that?
LeBron James was caught up in a similar controversy during the NBA playoffs last year and the same thing that was true then is true now: A perfunctory handshake doesn't make someone a good sport. It either makes them indifferent to the game's result or a good actor. What would people have preferred Peyton and LeBron do, laugh off the loss with apathy and treat the victors to dinner after? This isn't Little League.
The only time I question my sports fandom is when the players I'm rooting for seem to care less about the result than I do. I don't want to see my team's quarterback laughing on the sideline while losing a big game. If I care so much, why shouldn't the players?
"It's just a job for these guys," is a familiar refrain. The natural response to that is the great ones make their job their passion. Hall of Fames don't tend to include guys who can't care. The desire to win is what sustains greatness. You think Michael Jordan was hugging Isiah Thomas after losses in the 1980s? Or that Larry Bird stayed on the court to congratulate Kareem? Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio weren't going out for drinks after the Yankees beat the Red Sox. The great ones are competitors and competitors can't flip a switch immediately after a devastating loss and act like it didn't matter.
Being a good sportsman is playing fair, respecting the game and giving credit after to an opponent. Manning did all those things Sunday. In his postgame press conference he said of his quick exit:
"I certainly know how it was three years ago when we won. There's not much consolation for the guys who didn't win. There's the stage being set up and the celebration. It's time for the Saints to celebrate. It's their field."
That's probably a tad disingenuous, but no more than it would have been if Peyton had walked over to congratulate Drew Brees.
For the record, Peyton did call Brees later in the night. Said the Saints quarterback: "Peyton's a class guy." If the man who was supposedly snubbed thinks so, that's enough for me.

I don't remember any hoopla for Manning being in his feelings. Just funny how things get portrayed. That being said Cam stand up at the podium and take your medicine. That's what leaders do.

Last edited:

Steelin

Contributor
Reaction score
I was waiting for him to prove otherwise but in the end he couldn't take the heat All that grandstanding to come to the SB and act like a 3 year old. Priceless.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Irvin was getting on him after the game about that play. This shouldn't be news to anyone, he's acted like a pouting 3 year old after losses before. Yes he deserves a ton of blame, if you're going to throw yourself out there, doing 2 minute long dancing celebrations in the endzone, rubbing it in the opponents face, taking team photos on the sideline dabbing, calling yourself something no one has seen before, blah, blah, blah, then you get most of the blame. If you're that great then do something!

Agreed.....but pouting after a loss, especially a SB loss, is almost acceptable. ALMOST......but pouting during a loss is abysmally bad form.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
508989950.0.jpg

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
What Newton needed to do, but was utterly unable to was sit there and say in a humble and polite manner that the Denver defense was extraordinary. That the coordinator did an amazing job and that he was proud of his team and his fans. He was sorry about the way things turned out but he was proud of how the team fought all the way to the end.

He knew he'd made a mistake with the fumble. His first instinct was to jump on it, but he also knew that there was a chance of injury, and if he was hurt there'd be no chance of coming back - and he thought one of his linemen was about to get it. It was a terrible mistake and he knew he'd cost the team there. He wanted to apologize to his team and his fans. If he could have that play and several others back he wished he could, but again, that Denver defense was amazing. And you couldn't wish for a nicer guy than Peyton Manning to go out with a victory. He made some smart plays under pressure himself. Hopefully in time he (Cam Newton) can learn and be as experienced and talented as Peyon Manning. He's done so much for the league and for all of us younger Quarterbacks.

I want to thank my coaches, my teammates, my fans. And I want to thank all of you in the media. You've really been very supportive of me. It's been such a huge honor to win the MVP award. But as we saw tonight this is a team game and and I just have to admire the tremendous effort by all the Broncos. My hat is off to them and their staff.

"Boom", just like that America loves Cam Newton all over again. Thats ALL he had to ******' do.

There's a reason for those ******* sports cliche's. Use the cue cards man. Use the cue cards.

When they ask their irritating questions about the strip sack and the hits and the hurries and the sacks he just has to say, "That defense is amazing." Our line did a great job. We picked up a bunch of their blitzes but there alwasy seemed to be another guy or two coming. I'm sure I could have made better reads. I know I could have made some better throws, but honestly, I was running for my life back there. Vaughn Miller is going to DisneyLand!"

Be a good sport, win the hearts and minds of the media even in loss. Then go back to the team and have a couple shots.

Last edited:

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Well, I for one, was in Cam's corner, but he showed there is a lot of maturing and growing up to do. It's easy to be a great winner, but you have to be a gracious loser, too. He lost of a lot of fans last night who were on the fence about him. Losing a SB has to be hard to swallow, but it's a team game. That's why they say winning the whole thing is so damn hard. Not everyone wins or even gets there. Hopefully, for his sake and Panther fan's sake, he learns and grows from this loss. He is still young and has a lot of football in front of him. Be a man and accept that the team on the other side was better yesterday, then move on to get better.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1276750292352152&id=100000515806989

Peyton Manning storms off Super Bowl field. Is he a poor sport?
By Chris Chase

Peyton Manning(notes) didn't shake hands with New Orleans Saints players after his Indianapolis Colts lost 31-17 in Super Bowl XLIV. Apparently some think this is a sign of poor sportsmanship from the NFL's greatest player. It's not.
Walking off the field without congratulating Drew Brees(notes) may go against our misguided notion of what sportsmanship should be, but it wasn't at all disrespectful or bitter. It shows how much Peyton Manning wanted to win the game. And who can argue about that?
LeBron James was caught up in a similar controversy during the NBA playoffs last year and the same thing that was true then is true now: A perfunctory handshake doesn't make someone a good sport. It either makes them indifferent to the game's result or a good actor. What would people have preferred Peyton and LeBron do, laugh off the loss with apathy and treat the victors to dinner after? This isn't Little League.
The only time I question my sports fandom is when the players I'm rooting for seem to care less about the result than I do. I don't want to see my team's quarterback laughing on the sideline while losing a big game. If I care so much, why shouldn't the players?
"It's just a job for these guys," is a familiar refrain. The natural response to that is the great ones make their job their passion. Hall of Fames don't tend to include guys who can't care. The desire to win is what sustains greatness. You think Michael Jordan was hugging Isiah Thomas after losses in the 1980s? Or that Larry Bird stayed on the court to congratulate Kareem? Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio weren't going out for drinks after the Yankees beat the Red Sox. The great ones are competitors and competitors can't flip a switch immediately after a devastating loss and act like it didn't matter.
Being a good sportsman is playing fair, respecting the game and giving credit after to an opponent. Manning did all those things Sunday. In his postgame press conference he said of his quick exit:
"I certainly know how it was three years ago when we won. There's not much consolation for the guys who didn't win. There's the stage being set up and the celebration. It's time for the Saints to celebrate. It's their field."
That's probably a tad disingenuous, but no more than it would have been if Peyton had walked over to congratulate Drew Brees.
For the record, Peyton did call Brees later in the night. Said the Saints quarterback: "Peyton's a class guy." If the man who was supposedly snubbed thinks so, that's enough for me.

I don't remember any hoopla for Manning being in his feelings. Just funny how things get portrayed. That being said Cam stand up at the podium and take your medicine. That's what leaders do.

Manning talked to Brees later and Manning answered every media question.

Just nut up and call the criticism of Cam racist instead of trying to imply it.

Don't worry, the media will come up with excuses for Cam. I'm already hearing them float the theory that Cam walked off because he saw some Broncos coming and thought that meant his time was over. Oh, and another one that Cam was hearing the answers of a Broncos player nearby and that frustrated him so he was justified to leave because some audio guy messed up.

They'll find the excuse and start pounding it home.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
No I'm asking what's the difference. Talked to him later?? Since when is it not customary for the opposing QBs to shake hands. But it's Peyton so it's OK..he spoke after the game..he's a competitor. Cam did the opposite he congratulated the opposing QB but walked off the podium. But he's a spoiled brat. What's the difference????