• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What Jag fans are saying

Stewey

Reaction score
BrownsJags2010_GroupPicStands1.jpg

FIFYinz

The guy on the end sorta looks like a younger Rod Stewart.

Last edited:

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess, to a point, but as we have often seen, trends don't always carry over from game to game. For instance, prior to the Steelers' game, the Panthers could cite their success with Cam rushing the ball, and the Steelers' D being leaky to that end, but the trend didn't translate, just like the trend may not translate into the Jags game. Jags dropped 45 points on our head last game. Will that trend continue?

I don't see it continuing. The Steelers couldn't stop the run at all last year. This year they are #4 in the league at stopping the run. That's a night and day difference. Plus they ran the 3-4 more last game to shut down the run. If you noticed Bostic lead the team in tackles, and Burnett had more snaps than Edmunds. These are the players brought in to stop the run. They will be on the field a lot in this game as well.

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
I'm curious of why the non sequitur. Does the Thurs. game alter the fact that Bortles has made big plays with his legs on us in the past? I'm just trying to understand the logic.

My apologies. The assertion was that Bortles "has killed us" with his legs in the past. While I will concede Bortles (last season) has had success against the Steelers scrambling with the football, I consider Cam Newton to be far more dangerous a scrambling QB. Thursday the Steelers had good success minimizing the damage Newton is capable of. Guess we'll see if the Steelers Defense can reduce Bortles' success as well.

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
I guess, to a point, but as we have often seen, trends don't always carry over from game to game. For instance, prior to the Steelers' game, the Panthers could cite their success with Cam rushing the ball, and the Steelers' D being leaky to that end, but the trend didn't translate, just like the trend may not translate into the Jags game. Jags dropped 45 points on our head last game. Will that trend continue?
Although the Steelers gave up 45 points including a fumble return for 6, the Steelers did score 42 points in what I consider a sleep walking effort at best. The more embarrassing game was the Oct. 8th game when the Jags won 30-9 at Heinz Field. Although there are still leaking holes on Defense that desperately need addressing, this Steeler team is far better (IMHO) than last years version. The offense (recently) seems to be able to score at will and even the playoff loss being down the whole game managed to put up 42 losing by 3.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
I don't see it continuing. The Steelers couldn't stop the run at all last year. This year they are #4 in the league at stopping the run. That's a night and day difference. Plus they ran the 3-4 more last game to shut down the run. If you noticed Bostic lead the team in tackles, and Burnett had more snaps than Edmunds. These are the players brought in to stop the run. They will be on the field a lot in this game as well.

The “Hot Hand Fallacy” is generally not accepted to be true: the Steelers scored 52 points vs. Carolina—but “did they”? In a sense of holding a sustained drive to score, they did not. A 1-play 75 yard TD pass, a defensive score and a short field due to a special teams play — things that happen in a season less than 10 times influenced the score.

Same thing last year vs. Jags, short fields, turnovers, defensive scores. They were anomalies for Jacksonville to score outside their normal scope.

The hot hand applies to confidence but not to what directly happens week to week

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
The “Hot Hand Fallacy” is generally not accepted to be true: the Steelers scored 52 points vs. Carolina—but “did they”? In a sense of holding a sustained drive to score, they did not. A 1-play 75 yard TD pass, a defensive score and a short field due to a special teams play — things that happen in a season less than 10 times influenced the score.

Same thing last year vs. Jags, short fields, turnovers, defensive scores. They were anomalies for Jacksonville to score outside their normal scope.

The hot hand applies to confidence but not to what directly happens week to week

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Agreed. They did score on their first 7 drives, when they tried to move the football (kneel down to end the half after the 3rd score TD TD FG TD TD TD TD). though even with the quick scoring, they did manage to win the time of position battle.

The #4 rating for run defense is over 9 games. They haven't let up a 100yd rusher this season. Those are impressive trends vs watching RBs gash us for 30yd runs each week last year.

ark steel

Reaction score

The jags offense did not drop 45 on our d....

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Steeler games are the only game that they remove the tarps over the sections!

mr peeples

Banned
Reaction score

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Not even close to being true. And if Heinz was that big, we'd have to put up tarps too. Don't spew ignorance.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2017/attendance.htm

They averaged selling 4,000 more seats per game than Pgh did last season.

Jags usually out sell seats than the Steelers. I wouldn't be so quick to throw shade.

Steelers added 3000 seats to the open end, and they've never had to cover sections of their stadium to avoid blackouts. That's why the Jags do it. They can't get enough ***** to make sure they can be shown on TV locally. It's not my problem. If I lived in Florida, there's a ton of things I'd rather do than go to a Jagoff game.

An 84K capicity stadium yet only sell 67K seats. yea, they're GRRRRRRRREAT!!

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Laughing at comparing the Jags fans and the Steelers fans like it is even close. The Jagoffs are like the cheats fans, majority bandwagon fans...........

Tommy8Maddox

Reaction score
Steelers added 3000 seats to the open end, and they've never had to cover sections of their stadium to avoid blackouts. That's why the Jags do it. They can't get enough ***** to make sure they can be shown on TV locally. It's not my problem. If I lived in Florida, there's a ton of things I'd rather do than go to a Jagoff game.

It's especially sad because the Jags are the only major sports team in that city. LOL. It's not like the fans have to support a second or third.

mr peeples

Banned
Reaction score
selling or buts in seats? stadium sure doesn't look full when I see the Texans at Jags games......

Actually, I've heard conflicting info. on this. Some say teams account for crowds differently: Some teams count ticket sales, others only count the butts that actually show up. I am not sure what is true but you'd think the NFL would make everyone count consistently. I only know what is reported, not how it is reported. That being said, I also see a lot of empty seat at Heinz while they report it being sold out.

mr peeples

Banned
Reaction score

They sell more seats than the Steelers do. But you're right on one thing: There are excellent things to do here year round; we don't hibernate here come Nov - March like folks in western PA. Hell, the pot holes are so ridiculous in PA that it's dangerous to even drive much of the year. Last time I was there, in April, I thought I was four-wheeling when we were driving on "typical" roads. I was bouncing around like Jim Carrey in Pet Detective 2.

And, do you even understand why that stadium holds over 80k? See, you should become informed before trying to throw shade.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Actually, I've heard conflicting info. on this. Some say teams account for crowds differently: Some teams count ticket sales, others only count the butts that actually show up. I am not sure what is true but you'd think the NFL would make everyone count consistently. I only know what is reported, not how it is reported. That being said, I also see a lot of empty seat at Heinz while they report it being sold out.

Heinz Field is always sold out. The Steelers also report actual attendance and average about 5,000 no shows per game. They are one of the worst in the league in terms of stadium capacity in Pittsburgh over the past couple of seasons.

mr peeples

Banned
Reaction score
It's especially sad because the Jags are the only major sports team in that city. LOL. It's not like the fans have to support a second or third.

It's not "especially sad." It's more like "especially appropriate." Have you ever driven/walked around J-Ville? Have you ever explored the surrounding areas?

There are lies, damn lies and statistics. The stats for Jville as a city are wildly misleading. The size of the "city limits" is insane, leading to inflated population #'s. Most cities set city limits that really do only contain the city itself, like Pgh does. Here, as soon as I cross the intercostals, there are signs that say I am entering the city of Jville, which is dozens of miles away. If you actually go downtown and traverse actual downtown it is tiny, Pgh is much larger.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

So, it isn't "sad" they only have one major pro sports team, it is appropriate. Yes, if you look up the population for Jville, it will show 800k, while Pgh shows only 300k, but that is only due to the exaggerated city limits of Jville. If you visit both cities, you will be struck by how much bigger Pgh seems to Jville. I had guests visiting me from LA, and they said, as we were driving downtown, "This is Jacksonville? You mean, like the town the Jags play for? You mean this place has an NFL team? You are telling me we are downtown?" They just couldn't believe it.

I am a directional hot mess. I can get lost in a mall or parking lot. And yet, Jville is so small, even I don't get lost for the most part. Everyone likes to blow mess on Jville for their fan support, but in reality, they do just fine for the size of the town, and let's not forget other than the late 90's, a little bit of the Del Rio regime, and just last year, they have fielded teams we fans would not show up for. Steeler fans make a habit of looking down their nose at other fan bases for not showing up, but it is inappropriate and, quite frankly, bull ****.

Last edited:

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Jacksonville should have never received an NFL franchise. It should have been awarded to a legit market like Baltimore or LA at the time. Instead you get 2 teal cats in Carolina and JAX. That area cares more about college football than pro. If they wanted to pack that stadium, Tebow would be on the roster. They obvoiusly don't, so **** them. They'd rather move to London anyway. So Brexit the **** out of here London Jagoffs!!

That **** hole is a drive through town. The only reason to go to JAX is to get to Gainsville, Daytona, or Solomon's Island...