• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What is the college qb crop like?

FordFairLane

Reaction score
By any physical metric Love is superior to Rudolph who is a stiff and a joke around the league.
He’s actually rated one of the best backups in the NFL and viewed as a potential starter in the league. By NFL General Managers and Coaches. Just not by Steelers fan because of his horrible 2019 after his concussion. He was decent before the concussion and looked very good vs the Browns last year.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He’s actually rated one of the best backups in the NFL and viewed as a potential starter in the league. By NFL General Managers and Coaches. Just not by Steelers fan because of his horrible 2019 after his concussion. He was decent before the concussion and looked very good vs the Browns last year.

That's the reality of it, most don't want to see or remember his helmet smashing episode only to be followed up with an illegal hit causing a concussion. They expect him to just step right back in without missing a beat. That period of his NFL QB life was a devastating time. Once healed and back into perspective, he did play pretty well for not much action all of 2020 (start browns last season game).

I'm not saying he is top quality starter but until he gets an open play book fair shot, you can't fully judge what you've got. After this year provided Haskins get to next, he too deserves a shot but I think between the two, OTAs & TC will determine who starts if the starter spot is between them two.

Salute the nation

MB47

Reaction score
He hasn't pocket presence is a check down fool and was awful against the Browns before making a few long passes after being way behind. From Lombardi on down the league thinks he is a poor QB

FordFairLane

Reaction score
That's the reality of it, most don't want to see or remember his helmet smashing episode only to be followed up with an illegal hit causing a concussion. They expect him to just step right back in without missing a beat. That period of his NFL QB life was a devastating time. Once healed and back into perspective, he did play pretty well for not much action all of 2020 (start browns last season game).

I'm not saying he is top quality starter but until he gets an open play book fair shot, you can't fully judge what you've got. After this year provided Haskins get to next, he too deserves a shot but I think between the two, OTAs & TC will determine who starts if the starter spot is between them two.

Salute the nation
I think he’s earned a shot at the thrown. And looking at this QB crop I don’t see anyone really challenging him for the starting spot. Ruddy, Haskins and late round draft pick with upside. If Rudolph doesn’t look good after 6-8 games give Haskins a shot. If he sucks then you try to draft a top tier QB.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I think he’s earned a shot at the thrown. And looking at this QB crop I don’t see anyone really challenging him for the starting spot. Ruddy, Haskins and late round draft pick with upside. If Rudolph doesn’t look good after 6-8 games give Haskins a shot. If he sucks then you try to draft a top tier QB.
So, we're just handing the job to Rudolph next year before camp even starts? I'd be up for evaluating them both based upon how they perform in the preseason. The one that performs better gets first crack at the job. Make them earn the job.
Of course, Rudolph, being a little more familiar to them should have a slight edge. But, by that time, they will both have been in Canada's system for a year (or as much of Canada's system as we're using).

FordFairLane

Reaction score
So, we're just handing the job to Rudolph next year before camp even starts? I'd be up for evaluating them both based upon how they perform in the preseason. The one that performs better gets first crack at the job. Make them earn the job.
Of course, Rudolph, being a little more familiar to them should have a slight edge. But, by that time, they will both have been in Canada's system for a year (or as much of Canada's system as we're using).
Yes. Haskins really should be on the practice squad. If Roche becomes something I’m going to be pissed he made the 53 man. So unless Haskins takes a giant step forward and Rudolph regresses I don’t see there being much of any competition.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. Haskins really should be on the practice squad. If Roche becomes something I’m going to be pissed he made the 53 man. So unless Haskins takes a giant step forward and Rudolph regresses I don’t see there being much of any competition.
See, "Haskins really should be on the practice squad" is an opinion. Just like Tombert's decision to put him on the 53 is based on their opinion. Difference is, we saw him only during preseason games. They saw him through OTAs, Mini-Camp and Training Camp. Their opinion is based on a larger/different sample size. Apparently they think there's something to work with that was worth more than what Dobbs offered.

Also, since they routinely keep 3 QBs on the active roster, keeping Haskins on the 53 had no impact on Roche. If not Haskins, they would have kept Dobbs. Roche was lost because they though Jones brought more to the table. Obviously, they were wrong because they turned around and released Jones.

All that to say, I'd be more comfortable having Rudolph, Haskins and whoever battle it out for the spot next year. Make them earn the QB1 spot.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
See, "Haskins really should be on the practice squad" is an opinion. Just like Tombert's decision to put him on the 53 is based on their opinion. Difference is, we saw him only during preseason games. They saw him through OTAs, Mini-Camp and Training Camp. Their opinion is based on a larger/different sample size. Apparently they think there's something to work with that was worth more than what Dobbs offered.

Also, since they routinely keep 3 QBs on the active roster, keeping Haskins on the 53 had no impact on Roche. If not Haskins, they would have kept Dobbs. Roche was lost because they though Jones brought more to the table. Obviously, they were wrong because they turned around and released Jones.

All that to say, I'd be more comfortable having Rudolph, Haskins and whoever battle it out for the spot next year. Make them earn the QB1 spot.
It is an opinion. Opinion based on his play with the redskins and based on his preseason play.

They do not regularly keep 3 QBs. They

Yes, it is my opinion. My opinion based on Haskins play in Washington and here in the preseason.

Steelers do go between 2 and 3 QBs. When Landry Jones was here he was many times the only QB behind Roethlisberger. And I understand the logic of keeping 3 with Roethlisberger’s age. But Haskins play in the preseason and his off field issues this offseason I feel he would have safety made the practice squad. And if not IN MY OPINION it wouldn’t have been a big loss.

And I agree the best QB should take the thrown. But Rudolph was clearly the better of the two but people are so blind they think Haskins should be handed the backup spot.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
It is an opinion. Opinion based on his play with the redskins and based on his preseason play.

They do not regularly keep 3 QBs. They

Yes, it is my opinion. My opinion based on Haskins play in Washington and here in the preseason.

Steelers do go between 2 and 3 QBs. When Landry Jones was here he was many times the only QB behind Roethlisberger. And I understand the logic of keeping 3 with Roethlisberger’s age. But Haskins play in the preseason and his off field issues this offseason I feel he would have safety made the practice squad. And if not IN MY OPINION it wouldn’t have been a big loss.

And I agree the best QB should take the thrown. But Rudolph was clearly the better of the two but people are so blind they think Haskins should be handed the backup spot.
See, this is where you have my opinion wrong. Or maybe I didn't explain it well enough. I'm not talking about the backup spot this year. I'm talking about QB1 next year. And I don't think Haskins should be handed that job. Nor do I think Rudolph should be handed the job either. IF Rudolph is the vastly better QB, he should have no problem proving it during next off season.
Make them battle for the job. May the best QB win. Handing the job to either one without competition would be a mistake; in my opinion.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Well....... That settles it for that prospect. Next.
Would love to see how Willis plays against top competition. Haven't researched him much. Just saw him play in a couple of televised games. Seems to have a strong arm and plenty of mobility.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
See, this is where you have my opinion wrong. Or maybe I didn't explain it well enough. I'm not talking about the backup spot this year. I'm talking about QB1 next year. And I don't think Haskins should be handed that job. Nor do I think Rudolph should be handed the job either. IF Rudolph is the vastly better QB, he should have no problem proving it during next off season.
Make them battle for the job. May the best QB win. Handing the job to either one without competition would be a mistake; in my opinion.
Ok, what did you see from Haskins that makes you feel he can do anything to challenge Rudolph?

I’m not considering Haskins a challenge because he didn’t do squat this last preseason.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, what did you see from Haskins that makes you feel he can do anything to challenge Rudolph?

I’m not considering Haskins a challenge because he didn’t do squat this last preseason.
OH, I see. You discount the possibility that he could improve. OK.
In any event, I still disagree with your approach. Which is just to hand the job over to Rudolph with no competition as if he was a proven Franchise QB. What exactly has Rudolph accomplished that he deserves no challenges? Absolutely nothing. But again, if he's the vastly superior QB, he should have no problem holding off a challenge. Whether that challenge comes from Haskins, a rookie, a free agent or all three.

You keep focusing on the Haskins thing like you believe that because I'm a Buckeyes fan I just want to hand him the job. Nope. I believe that whoever is QB1 next year should have to earn the job through competition. Including Haskins. Including Rudolph. Whoever. Again, just my opinion. We'll see how it plays out next off season.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
OH, I see. You discount the possibility that he could improve. OK.
In any event, I still disagree with your approach. Which is just to hand the job over to Rudolph with no competition as if he was a proven Franchise QB. What exactly has Rudolph accomplished that he deserves no challenges? Absolutely nothing. But again, if he's the vastly superior QB, he should have no problem holding off a challenge. Whether that challenge comes from Haskins, a rookie, a free agent or all three.

You keep focusing on the Haskins thing like you believe that because I'm a Buckeyes fan I just want to hand him the job. Nope. I believe that whoever is QB1 next year should have to earn the job through competition. Including Haskins. Including Rudolph. Whoever. Again, just my opinion. We'll see how it plays out next off season.
He could but it is unlikely.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Would love to see how Willis plays against top competition. Haven't researched him much. Just saw him play in a couple of televised games. Seems to have a strong arm and plenty of mobility.
I am two fold on the kid. I think he has some solid potential. Not sure if he fits the height mold which the Steelers seem to like. But he does have some things to like. Arm strength, mobility. With a young Oline you have to like his scramble ability. Steelers have seen him up close so I am sure they are keeping tabs on his continuing development. As his accuracy has jumped into the 70's up from mid 60's of last season.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
He could but it is unlikely.
Just as unlikely as Rudolph being more than a stop gap. I've seen nothing about him that's overly impressive.
In fact, I'm of the opinion that the future long-term QB1 is either playing college ball or playing under the Friday night lights.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Just as unlikely as Rudolph being more than a stop gap. I've seen nothing about him that's overly impressive.
In fact, I'm of the opinion that the future long-term QB1 is either playing college ball or playing under the Friday night lights.
Did you see Liberty today ?was busy and missed the game. Saw MW had three INTs passed for two TD rushed for 1. Will have to clean up those turnovers. Which didn't seem like an issue until today.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Did you see Liberty today ?was busy and missed the game. Saw MW had three INTs passed for two TD rushed for 1. Will have to clean up those turnovers. Which didn't seem like an issue until today.
I didn't see Liberty today. Will have to check out the stat line. But, yeah, turnovers are cause for concern if it becomes a pattern. Of course, turnovers seem to be a problem for all of the top QB prospects in the last couple of weeks.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

FULLY agree as OTAs / TC / Pre will all determine best man up. You can't rule Haskins out but Rudolf does have edge going into start of next season.

The Point I'm making is I don't want to reach for mediocre QB as we potentially already have that on the roster .

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Rudolph and Haskins will run with the 1's with Rudolph starting with more reps there. I see Rudolph starting the 1st preseason game and Haskins the 2nd. Both should get a shot and I believe that's why they got Haskins in the 1st place. Haskins definitely wasn't ready this year. If we lose a few more and the rest of our division keeps winning, they really need to think about pulling Ben and letting Rudolph play and even give Haskins a start or two at the end of the season. It would be for pure evaluation and a very smart move. I'd hate to see Ben go out that way but it would truly be the best for the team and its future.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Bo Nix (6'3", 215) is the guy.
already running for his life behind the line Auburn has, so he'll fit in well. Has escapability, and can drop dimes while on the run.

sure, he was average for his first two seasons, but he looks something special now. No, not Ogre-Special.

this is just one play, but ...

more...

No Supe - that fella is the most skittish QB I have ever seen!!! Yes, he has escapability but it where the ball goes after he twirls that concerns me...

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
As I see it right now...

Carson Strong seems like the only one that has true NFL caliper QB potential....

Weak class..

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score

I didn't see what you saw in preseason and personally I don't think that there is too much of a drop off in either option. Rudy is less mobile and Dwayne isn't even that mobile in the first place.

What we did not see was Haskins getting premier time w/ the 1's on offense this preseason. You can't make an even assessment until we see them in the same scenarios.

Make sense???