• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What is the college qb crop like?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Where does the PITT Panther kid fit into this ?
He's putting up yuge numbers this year and might be the best QB in the draft. The Steelers have a history of rarely drafting players from across town though.
Then again if Pickett is available when the Steelers pick comes up, the ghost of Dan Marino might force them to take him.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Where does the PITT Panther kid fit into this ?

Salute the nation
My fear about him (and I’m a proud Pitt dropout lol) is that there were no signs he was going to be this good his first Four years… I don’t think he ever broke 20 td passes in a season…. He suddenly has 19 not even halfway through the season… the thing is he was given an extra starting season because of covid… and im not certain its his skills that are driving this or just a smart starter with a ton of experience who is playing in a season where a lot of teams are rebuilding… i mean he did shred that GT defense that “befuddled” Howell, but still, true franchise guys typically have proven their skills before they are 23…. We are going to have to see this continue for a solid season and a bowl game before you can say its not some outlier stretch in his career

This is a guy who once passed for 8 yards… total… in an ACC championship game…

That doesn’t mean he hasn’t developed since then… but he is top 4 in the country in most meaningful positive stats… top 2 in a lot of them… and again we aren’t sure how real that stat line is pertaining to his nfl ability

If he was still going to be a low pick he would be a fine gamble…at worse he is going to be a solid backup in the nfl… even if he was going to be a middle round pick he would be a good get now…

But lets be honest… the kid is 6’3” 220 lbs, isn’t a statue in the pocket and if he continues to tear up defenses he will be a high 2 or first round pick, especially as some of tgese other smaller prospects cool off in scouts eyes… he will have a good combine and somebody will overdraft him

Maybe he works out and maybe he doesn’t, but i dont want to risk a lost four year stretch figuring out if a gamble paid off… i want a guy who looks good from the get go

I mean hey, maybe I’ll change my tune by seasons end if i see him tear up whats left of the acc and have a stellar bowl game… but if he does great enough that I’m sold on him, I think he will certainly go above our draft spot….

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
but if he does great enough that I’m sold on him, I think he will certainly go above our draft spot….
So you think he may go in the first 3 picks?

I think he's had a good supporting cast in his WR's, and even has capable TE's this year.
Like you said, there's a lot of the season to play out.
I can't decide if a QB is worth the risk in this draft, but does the '23 draft look any more promising than the one in April?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So you think he may go in the first 3 picks?

I think he's had a good supporting cast in his WR's, and even has capable TE's this year.
Like you said, there's a lot of the season to play out.
I can't decide if a QB is worth the risk in this draft, but does the '23 draft look any more promising than the one in April?
I think we will go on a tomlin run and finish middle of the pack… again….

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score

Totally off subject, but I went to my 50th HS reunion, the first that I've ever went to. I was surprised that the girls that were the hot cheerleader types in school, weren't anymore, and a number of the plain-jane bookworms became stunning in their advanced age.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bo Nix (6'3", 215) is the guy.
already running for his life behind the line Auburn has, so he'll fit in well. Has escapability, and can drop dimes while on the run.

sure, he was average for his first two seasons, but he looks something special now. No, not Ogre-Special.

this is just one play, but ...

more...

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Bo Nix (6'3", 215) is the guy.
already running for his life behind the line Auburn has, so he'll fit in well. Has escapability, and can drop dimes while on the run.

sure, he was average for his first two seasons, but he looks something special now. No, not Ogre-Special.

this is just one play, but ...

more...

No thanks, He put up 185 yards against Penn State and threw for 0 TD's. PSU is the only really good defense he has faced this season and he looked, meh.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Totally off subject, but I went to my 50th HS reunion, the first that I've ever went to. I was surprised that the girls that were the hot cheerleader types in school, weren't anymore, and a number of the plain-jane bookworms became stunning in their advanced age.
My observation has been the same. The really hot girls either gained a ton of weight or are dead from cancer from smoking. The plain-jane girls mostly kept their weight down and been in the gym for 20 years. Although one could say the same about the men.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Ironically, that was the same game in which Trevor Lawrence had a grand total of 118 yards passing himself. Right before throwing for 327 and 347 against Notre Dame and Alabama in the college football playoff, and winning the national championship. I think Clemson's defense was pretty good that year.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I think we will go on a tomlin run and finish middle of the pack… again….
Don't even have to do that so much. As we sit right at this moment, the Steelers, at 1-3, hold the 12th spot in the draft. Crazy to see how much suckage there is in the NFL right now. Of course, things could change. But, I suspect that when all is said and done, somewhere between spots 12 and 15 is where the Steelers will be drafting next year. Removing the temptation to take a 1st round QB ... but also putting them out of reach of one of the top LTs, CBs ... So, maybe an ILB if Bush continues his decline or a C if Green doesn't get off his roller skates and quit getting set on his *** as often as he does.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

Last edited:

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't even have to do that so much. As we sit right at this moment, the Steelers, at 1-3, hold the 12th spot in the draft. Crazy to see how much suckage there is in the NFL right now. Of course, things could change. But, I suspect that when all is said and done, somewhere between spots 12 and 15 is where the Steelers will be drafting next year. Removing the temptation to take a 1st round QB ... but also putting them out of reach of one of the top LTs, CBs ... So, maybe an ILB if Bush continues his decline or a C if Green doesn't get off his roller skates and quit getting set on his *** as often as he does.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl
WOW. Philly will have 3 of the top 10 picks?!?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Ironically, that was the same game in which Trevor Lawrence had a grand total of 118 yards passing himself. Right before throwing for 327 and 347 against Notre Dame and Alabama in the college football playoff, and winning the national championship. I think Clemson's defense was pretty good that year.
Both teams ran the ball well… clemson had 300 yards on the ground and pitt almost reached 200, but Trevor was playing from ahead the entire game while Pickett was behind 28-10 at the half and went on to lose by 32…. One would think being behind the entire game would lead to more than 8 yards of passing

But hey, like i said lets see how he does to finish the year… if he keeps dropping 4 or 5 tds a game maybe he is a super rare diamond in tge rough qb…

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Joe Burrow didn't have much of a college track record until his senior season. He did absolutely nothing at Ohio State for 3 years, had an OK season in 2018, and then exploded in 2019 (his redshirt senior year). So....not that any of the QB's this year are Joe Burrow but you never know and you never know when you might draft a skinny kid from Michigan who plays until he's a senior citizen and wins a bunch of SB's.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My fear about him (and I’m a proud Pitt dropout lol) is that there were no signs he was going to be this good his first Four years… I don’t think he ever broke 20 td passes in a season…. He suddenly has 19 not even halfway through the season… the thing is he was given an extra starting season because of covid… and im not certain its his skills that are driving this or just a smart starter with a ton of experience who is playing in a season where a lot of teams are rebuilding… i mean he did shred that GT defense that “befuddled” Howell, but still, true franchise guys typically have proven their skills before they are 23…. We are going to have to see this continue for a solid season and a bowl game before you can say its not some outlier stretch in his career

That doesn’t mean he hasn’t developed since then… but he is top 4 in the country in most meaningful positive stats… top 2 in a lot of them… and again we aren’t sure how real that stat line is pertaining to his nfl ability

If he was still going to be a low pick he would be a fine gamble…at worse he is going to be a solid backup in the nfl… even if he was going to be a middle round pick he would be a good get now…

But lets be honest… the kid is 6’3” 220 lbs, isn’t a statue in the pocket and if he continues to tear up defenses he will be a high 2 or first round pick, especially as some of tgese other smaller prospects cool off in scouts eyes… he will have a good combine and somebody will overdraft him

Maybe he works out and maybe he doesn’t, but i dont want to risk a lost four year stretch figuring out if a gamble paid off… i want a guy who looks good from the get go

I mean hey, maybe I’ll change my tune by seasons end if i see him tear up whats left of the acc and have a stellar bowl game… but if he does great enough that I’m sold on him, I think he will certainly go above our draft spot….

EXCELLENT post and thank you mnadinsomniac. I didn't know all that back story and hear what you are saying. I too do NOT want a project taken to high in the draft or out of desperation.

Personally I think they should roll with Rudolf and Haskins for 2022 with a low level 3rd stringer (posibly Dobbs). See what we have in either of those two, legitimately give them an open play-book shot. I don't see either one being the face of the STEELERS for a very long stint. If so though that would be a pleasant surprise and welcomed.

EDIT: If they bring in a FA, please let it be a legitimate bonafide starter that's not to old.

Saute the nation

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see any franchise QB in this draft. Maybe Carson Strong but if he's the only guy seen as a 1st rounder, he'll probably go pretty high.

It will be developmental guys like Pickett and Bo Nix. I actually though Nix played pretty well vs Penn State. He made a bunch of plays under duress that extended plays. He's mobile and you can see the arm talent. He reminds me a bit of Justin Herbert or maybe a bit of Cam Newton.

Herbert has surprised me with how much better he is in the NFL. He looked robotic at Oregon. Maybe the coaches restricted him too much there. Cam may be the better comparison. I never thought Cam was great. He was a playmaker but as a passer was always inaccurate and didn't have a feel for the passing game.

Nix is like that. But he played in Malzahn's high school offense and this new offense doesn't exactly look QB friendly either. He could be a project guy. I wouldn't spend a high pick on him but if you can get him late, why not? Kind of like signing Haskins.

I hear all this stuff about the Steelers not having a backup plan to Ben. That's bullshit. They have Rudolph who they drafted with a relatively high pick and have been developing for years and they have a former 1st rounder Haskins. Look around the league, what team has a better backup situation? Aside from the teams who just drafted QBs high, who are these mythical teams with an old QB that have a young QB just ready to take over?

Are the PAckers set with JOrdan Love? We have no idea. At this point Rudolph and Haskins are just as good prospects. What about Tampa? Are they all set because they drafted Trask?

MB47

Reaction score
No no no to Howell. Odd thing today Cowherd shows stats of Ben and Haskins last 10 games. Very similar stats and QB rating was 81 for Ben and 80 for Haskins on an awful Washington team. If the season tanks would love to see what Haskins has before we waste a #1 pick in this year's awful QB class.

MB47

Reaction score
By any physical metric Love is superior to Rudolph who is a stiff and a joke around the league.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
EXCELLENT post and thank you mnadinsomniac. I didn't know all that back story and hear what you are saying. I too do NOT want a project taken to high in the draft or out of desperation.

Personally I think they should roll with Rudolf and Haskins for 2022 with a low level 3rd stringer (posibly Dobbs). See what we have in either of those two, legitimately give them an open play-book shot. I don't see either one being the face of the STEELERS for a very long stint. If so though that would be a pleasant surprise and welcomed.

EDIT: If they bring in a FA, please let it be a legitimate bonafide starter that's not to old.

Saute the nation
Wouldn't it make sense to do that now and then you could always get a gap free agent till you draft your future qb if they suck.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I also think Madden is right and Rudolph is the heir apparent for one or two seasons until a better qb is in their range
Madden has been right on lots of things lately.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
No no no to Howell. Odd thing today Cowherd shows stats of Ben and Haskins last 10 games. Very similar stats and QB rating was 81 for Ben and 80 for Haskins on an awful Washington team. If the season tanks would love to see what Haskins has before we waste a #1 pick in this year's awful QB class.
In round two I'd throw the dice on Howell. He lost a lot of players on offense.