• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Was I out of bounds by worrying about Sean Davis ability to tackle?

chipped ham

Reaction score
I am waitng too. Chickillo had two tackles last game, same amount of Jones and likley palyed less snaps.

I'm not calling Davis a bum, but I am pointing out those who had pitch forks in hand when I said he could not tackle well are were wrong. This goes back tot he draft. And the more they raise them, the more I'll point out they are still wrong. We'll see if he's still leading the team in missed tackles by week 8. I'll wager he is, barring him getting hurt

Coach, I may be in the minority, but I don't mind you the way some others do. However, on this one, i think you're a bit off. Sure, the stats have showed he's struggled, but you have to consider it being only his second game. I also don't care how many missed tackles he had in college, considering that Maryland hasn't been relevant in a long time and their program is garbage. I can't imagine he was getting all the best coaching in the world. Now, he's in the NFL, in a good "program," so to speak. I think it's way too early to label him as a miss at this point. Hell, the first year overall is too early, but come mid-season, we'll have a much better idea of what kind of player he is.

P

POP

If you want me to continue to say how much of a miss Davis was in round two, the best way to do it is to mock the facts.

Outside of he's a rookie which really is not an excuse for leading the team by a mile in missed tackles, and excusing his past issues in college and the pre-season where he also had the same issues, I have not seen any football context to say it ain't so.

You're absolutely correct. His college stats, pre-season stats and 1st two weeks illustrate, without a doubt, that the guy sucks at tackling. All evidence showcases this fact. It seems every time I look up, and is missing a tackle.

No one can deny he has missed tackle issues.

P

POP

Coach, I may be in the minority, but I don't mind you the way some others do. However, on this one, i think you're a bit off. Sure, the stats have showed he's struggled, but you have to consider it being only his second game. I also don't care how many missed tackles he had in college, considering that Maryland hasn't been relevant in a long time and their program is garbage. I can't imagine he was getting all the best coaching in the world. Now, he's in the NFL, in a good "program," so to speak. I think it's way too early to label him as a miss at this point. Hell, the first year overall is too early, but come mid-season, we'll have a much better idea of what kind of player he is.

I am not sure we will by mid-season. Polamalu stunk most of his rookie year. No reason to think Davis, who has way more concerns as did Troy coming out of college, to be all that good by mid-season. I think we have to wait until year #2 to see what he has.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I am not sure we will by mid-season. Polamalu stunk most of his rookie year. No reason to think Davis, who has way more concerns as did Troy coming out of college, to be all that good by mid-season. I think we have to wait until year #2 to see what he has.

So many concerns that we moved up in the draft in the first to nab a HOF scouted talent as opposed to standing pat in the back of the second round for a guy with great size/speed metrics?

I think the only concern on Polamalu pre-draft around here, was head size.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Steelers Depot

Steelers Vs Eagles Missed Tackles
BY JOSH CARNEY SEPTEMBER 29, 2016 AT 11:00 AM
Sunday’s game in Philadelphia against the Eagles was ugly to say the least. Almost as ugly as the final score itself was the attempted tackling in the 34-3 loss.

Like I do every week, I’ll keep track of missed tackles in the game, as well as overall on the season. So far through three weeks, the Steelers have missed 40 tackles.

This week’s breakdown won’t be pretty.

Total Missed Tackles: 14

Artie Burns — 4
Vince Williams — 2
Sean Davis — 2
Ryan Shazier — 1
Mike Mitchell — 1
William Gay — 1
Stephon Tuitt — 1
Cameron Heyward — 1
Ross Cockrell — 1

Total Missed Tackles through three weeks: 40

Sean Davis — 9
Artie Burns — 6
Lawrence Timmons — 4
Ryan Shazier — 4
William Gay — 4
Stephon Tuitt — 3
Mike Mitchell — 3
Vince Williams — 2
Robert Golden — 1
Arthur Moats — 1
LJ Fort — 1
Ross Cockrell — 1
Cameron Heyward — 1

Again, the numbers above aren’t pretty any way you try to spin it, especially for the young defensive backs in Sean Davis and Artie Burns, who are first and second in missed tackles overall for the Steelers through three weeks.

While one can be pleased that Mike Tomlin and the defensive coaching staff are putting a lot of trust into the young rookies, it’s very concerning to see Burns and Davis repeatedly missing tackles early on this season.

While Davis missed five tackles in Week One against the Washington Redskins, Burns followed up with four missed tackles this week against the Eagles.

The issue with Burns’ missed tackles — outside of the disastrous effort on Darren Sproles’ long touchdown early in the third quarter — is the fact that they’re coming on plays where he’s attacking downhill on short throws.

In the GIF above, you can see the quick bubble screen coming at the snap from Carson Wentz to Josh Huff, who lines up in the left slot. Following the snap, Artie Burns, who is lined up as the boundary corner on the play, does a good job of reacting quickly to the bubble screen, giving himself a free run at Huff at the line of scrimmage.

From there, things fall apart for Burns, who doesn’t break down to make the tackle whatsoever in the open field, allowing Huff to spin off the tackle attempt and pick up the first down on a short throw.

Later on in the game, Burns does the same thing once again.

On the quick stop route by Dorial Green-Beckham, Wentz makes the throw in rhythm, allowing Green-Beckham to secure the catch and make the move up the field. Granted, Burns looks a bit clunky in his backpedal here, causing him to come up on DGB on the stop route a bit out of control. By doing that, Burns is completely off balance and just lunges at DGB’s ankles whiffing badly to allow another Philadelphia first down on a short throw.

It’s simply inexcusable in a game where the opposing offense is designed around short, rhythmic throws to get a young quarterback going. The Steelers’ defense is designed to give room, allow the underneath catch before then tackling the catch immediately. That’s just not happening this season.

One last GIF for you and then we can officially “move on” to Kansas City.

Philadelphia had a ton of success getting off tackle against the Steelers on Sunday, largely due to the injuries to the linebacking corps. However, this touchdown by Barner was just a summation of the game for the Steelers as almost everything the Eagles ran was golden.

At the snap, Anthony Chickillo goes too far up the field, getting trapped out of the play by Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson, who opens up a big lane for Barner to hit off tackle.

From there, Vince Williams gets swallowed up by Brandon Brooks, while Jason Kelce erases Ryan Shazier out of the play late. The main issue here on this play is the overpursuit by Cameron Heyward as Mike Mitchell simply takes a poor angle to the ball, allowing Barner to cut back for the easy touchdown.

Although neither Heyward nor Mitchell got a hand on Barner, I still count this as a missed tackle for each due to the overpursuit and the poor angle.

Overall, the missed tackles are getting worse for the Steelers defense. It could be a long Sunday evening against the Chiefs, who employ a similar offensive system to Philadelphia.

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/09/steelers-vs-eagles-missed-tackles-report/

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
And for the record Davis is credited with 7 tackles vs the Eagles. So 7 tackles and 2 missed tackles. 5 missed in his first game and two a piece in his second and third.

paperclip

Reaction score
Coach, did you really make a big deal out of the size of Troy's head?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Coach, did you really make a big deal out of the size of Troy's head?

Not exactly. Going by memory I noticed he does, in fact, have a very large head so even though he's 5'10" his height at the shoulder length was shorter than most guys 5'10" tall and his arms weren't exactly long.

The point when completely over some people's head, so to speak. Sort of like Fletch is really 6'4" tall, but with the afro he's 6'9" tall. Those who saw the movie might laugh.

What I was really saying his ability in man coverage when defending a pass could be an issue as he's on the shorter side. I also had some concerns about his concussion history.

Troy was a fabulous player. But in truth, he was great at jumping the routes in zone and once he intercepted it, ran like a top punt return person. Isolated in the man he gave up far more touchdowns than you'd think. Troy had a rocky rookie year, but obviously proved he was a great player.

So the head thing took on a life of its own. I even laugh at it. The same year, I really like the Ike Taylor pick. We can use another draft like that one!

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
And for the record Davis is credited with 7 tackles vs the Eagles. So 7 tackles and 2 missed tackles. 5 missed in his first game and two a piece in his second and third.

Davis was spun around three times, not even touching Sproles. That doesn't go down as a missed tackle, but he had three shots to make one.

When reviewing Davis and Burns I felt neither were good tacklers. So far I'm 100% correct.

Sean Davis — 9
Artie Burns — 6
Lawrence Timmons — 4
Ryan Shazier — 4
William Gay — 4
Stephon Tuitt — 3
Mike Mitchell — 3
Vince Williams — 2
Robert Golden — 1
Arthur Moats — 1
LJ Fort — 1
Ross Cockrell — 1
Cameron Heyward — 1

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Davis was spun around three times, not even touching Sproles. That doesn't go down as a missed tackle, but he had three shots to make one.

When reviewing Davis and Burns I felt neither were good tacklers. So far I'm 100% correct.

Sean Davis — 9
Artie Burns — 6
Lawrence Timmons — 4
Ryan Shazier — 4
William Gay — 4
Stephon Tuitt — 3
Mike Mitchell — 3
Vince Williams — 2
Robert Golden — 1
Arthur Moats — 1
LJ Fort — 1
Ross Cockrell — 1
Cameron Heyward — 1

Since Sproles has been in the league Davis is the only player he has ever made miss

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Not exactly. Going by memory I noticed he does, in fact, have a very large head so even though he's 5'10" his height at the shoulder length was shorter than most guys 5'10" tall and his arms weren't exactly long.

The point when completely over some people's head, so to speak. Sort of like Fletch is really 6'4" tall, but with the afro he's 6'9" tall. Those who saw the movie might laugh.

What I was really saying his ability in man coverage when defending a pass could be an issue as he's on the shorter side. I also had some concerns about his concussion history.

Troy was a fabulous player. But in truth, he was great at jumping the routes in zone and once he intercepted it, ran like a top punt return person. Isolated in the man he gave up far more touchdowns than you'd think. Troy had a rocky rookie year, but obviously proved he was a great player.

So the head thing took on a life of its own. I even laugh at it. The same year, I really like the Ike Taylor pick. We can use another draft like that one!

So Troy improved his game after his rookie year???

Interesting

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Just to clarify....Will you point out YOU were wrong if Davis isn't leading the team in missed tackles by week 8? What if Chickillo is leading the team in missed tackles?

You are skewing your arguments in tunnel vision fashion. Most coaches and talking heads have stated that tackling THROUGHOUT the league's teams is atrocious, and has been getting worse for they past decade for ALL clubs. This is because of the lack of practice time and OTAs the CBA now allows. You are a purportedly a "coach", so you must understand the fundamentals of practice time impacts performance. Its not obvious that skill players can practice catching balls well after team practices are over and can catch some impossible throws. But defensive players cannot improve their tackling because contact is prohibited off practice time.

Davis is missing on average 3 tackles a game. Way too much. He might set a Steeler record if there is such data provided he plays all 16 games and enough snaps. As a pass defender, Davis has yet to break up one play. The tackles he's making are because the other guy in most cases is open.

If someone passed him by week 8in missed tackles, that would have to be Burns, and that's not a good thing. Pre-draft I pointed both had issues tackling. The prediction is spot on but really elementary for anyone who watched enough targeted plays on the two.

The thing is your safeties MUST make tackles as they are often the last line of defense, and positioned furthest way from the line of scrimmage. So the damage is multiplied.

Two below scouting reprots on Davis

He played cornerback at Maryland but may move to safety for the Steelers. We’re not sure that’s magically going to make him into a better football player, however. He had a minus-6.7 coverage grade that was one of the worst in the class and allowed 50 of 81 targets to be completed for 721 yards in only 12 games last year. That extrapolates to 961 yards over a 16-game season, which would have been the third-worst total in the NFL last year.

At times, was disastrous in man coverage. Dinged for 614 yards receiving against him. Slow, upright backpedal and clunky when turning to run. Seemed to be too big and lacking in foot quickness needed to play cornerback. Flagged for four pass interferences, a late hit and a personal foul this year. Charged with ten touchdowns allowed over last two seasons. Missed tackle numbers are troubling with 40 over last three years. Allows too much separation and can’t click and close on throws.

Obvisouly the NFL is a lot harder.

Chickillo's chances of leading the team in missed tackles are about as good as a 300-pound man representing the Unites Sates in the 100-meter dash. He hasn't stood out, but he hasn't had the snap count on par with Jones either. At this point, we have little to lose to find out if he's the better option at pass rusher. I believe he is a bit better in this department, which is a team need.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Davis is missing on average 3 tackles a game. Way too much. He might set a Steeler record if there is such data provided he plays all 16 games and enough snaps. As a pass defender, Davis has yet to break up one play. The tackles he's making are because the other guy in most cases is open.

If someone passed him by week 8in missed tackles, that would have to be Burns, and that's not a good thing. Pre-draft I pointed both had issues tackling. The prediction is spot on but really elementary for anyone who watched enough targeted plays on the two.

The thing is your safeties MUST make tackles as they are often the last line of defense, and positioned furthest way from the line of scrimmage. So the damage is multiplied.

Two below scouting reprots on Davis

Obvisouly the NFL is a lot harder.

Chickillo's chances of leading the team in missed tackles are about as good as a 300-pound man representing the Unites Sates in the 100-meter dash. He hasn't stood out, but he hasn't had the snap count on par with Jones either. At this point, we have little to lose to find out if he's the better option at pass rusher. I believe he is a bit better in this department, which is a team need.

Counting the snaps now for Chicky. Interesting.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Since Sproles has been in the league Davis is the only player he has ever made miss

He never made anyone I saw look that bad. Davis was spun around like a clueless top three times. Sproles is 33 now hardly at his peak. Davis also took a horrible angle to the ball on a play that went for a score. So in three games played he gave up two touchdowns.

Please stop defending him. He's not very good at all, and I think is the OC's primary mismatch target when passing.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Counting the snaps now for Chicky. Interesting.

Yeah, please do. I am a bit of a stat guy : )

Chickillo has 7 total tackles, 0 missed.

Davis has 12 total tackles and 9 missed tackles, two of which went for scores.

Of course, Davis likely plays 50% more...than Chickillo. If the two played the same amount of snaps, Chickillo might have more tackles, and as we know safeties based on their position usually get a chance to make more tackles than OLB's

The more you break down the data on Davis...well I'm not saying he's a bust because he's so new, but I will say he's off to a very bad start.

Last edited:

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

Sean Davis — 9
Artie Burns — 6
Lawrence Timmons — 4
Ryan Shazier — 4
William Gay — 4
Stephon Tuitt — 3
Mike Mitchell — 3
Vince Williams — 2
Robert Golden — 1
Arthur Moats — 1
LJ Fort — 1
Ross Cockrell — 1
Cameron Heyward — 1

and that's what really matters, doesn't it?

seriously how many missed tackles did Davis have in the first game? He has improved, as a rookie, after just two games

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
and that's what really matters, doesn't it?

seriously how many missed tackles did Davis have in the first game? He has improved, as a rookie, after just two games

Absolutely.... and why wait until after the season when you scream it to the masses after three games.