• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Was I out of bounds by worrying about Sean Davis ability to tackle?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Was I out of bounds by worrying about Sean Davis ability to tackle? Results shown.

Was I out of bounds by worrying about Sean Davis ability to tackle?

This was a pre-season comment. Davis now leads the team with 7 missed tackles, 3 more than the next on the list.

Extrapolated to a full season, this is 56 missed tackles. Several starting players on the defense don't even make 56 tackles a season.

With NFL film on Davis, who has been suspect in coverage too, I fear suspect Davis is going to be targeted more often as a matchup to exploit.

We shall see how Butler and Tomlin monitor and handle the situation. Thomas does not appear to be an option, but Dangerfield might. That guy flashed ability as a tackler and hitter. But in coverage, I don't think he's any better.

From Steeler Depot, Missed tackle report

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/09/steelers-vs-bengals-missed-tackles-report/

Week 2 Individual Breakdown:

Artie Burns: 2
Sean Davis: 2
Ryan Shazier: 2
William Gay: 2
Robert Golden: 1
Mike Mitchell: 1
Stephon Tuitt: 1
Lawrence Timmons: 1
Arthur Moats: 1

Total — 13 missed tackles

Overall Individual Breakdown (through two weeks):

Sean Davis: 7
Lawrence Timmons: 4
William Gay: 3
Ryan Shazier: 3
Artie Burns: 2
Stephon Tuitt: 2
Mike Mitchell: 2
LJ Fort: 1
Robert Golden: 1
Arthur Moats: 1

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Can we give him more then two games to adjust to the NFL Coach before you start patting yourself on the back. At least wait until we are halfway thru. We're you like this with your players when you were a coach. Was each mistake met with get on the bench?? Davis had 5 missed tackles in his first game then two in the second. I say that's improvement. The coaches are already leaning away from playing him in the slot by playing the dime where he lines up at his more natural position safety. Let's give him some time Coach at least more then two games.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
He has shown the ability to get to the ball but he is missing some tackles. I've definitely noticed it. Not sure if he is over running the play, hitting too high or just having poor technique. This isn't going unnoticed on tape. These issues will be corrected with coaching and he will improve. Shazier had quite a few missed tackles as a rookie as well.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
He has shown the ability to get to the ball but he is missing some tackles. I've definitely noticed it. Not sure if he is over running the play, hitting too high or just having poor technique. This isn't going unnoticed on tape. These issues will be corrected with coaching and he will improve. Shazier had quite a few missed tackles as a rookie as well.

He sure did it's called getting adjusted to the speed of the game. The missed tackle of Benard by both Burns and Davis on Benard had everything to do with both players being caught off guard by Bernard's burst and speed. First time seeing him in open space unless they played him while him college. Not sure if they went up against him while he was NC

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
you do know he is a rookie that seldom comes off the field correct? he had the same amount of missed tackles last week as shazier and gay. perhaps all of them need to be replaced.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Can we give him more then two games to adjust to the NFL Coach before you start patting yourself on the back. At least wait until we are halfway thru. We're you like this with your players when you were a coach. Was each mistake met with get on the bench?? Davis had 5 missed tackles in his first game then two in the second. I say that's improvement. The coaches are already leaning away from playing him in the slot by playing the dime where he lines up at his more natural position safety. Let's give him some time Coach at least more then two games.

But Davis lack of tackling ability was evident in the film clips. Had Davis been a 4th or 5th round pick ( Rated by at least one team here ) , I would not be so hard on him. So far this prediction has been spot on. In the camp the pre-season games and in the first two regular games. Small sample? Yes, but he's far in the lead with this problem.

In regards to coaching it we are talking Safties, tackling is at a premium as they often engage the player with the ball several yards past the line of scrimmage. Mistakes here are magnified. As a coach, I tried to be very fair, but the firm never lashing out any anyone in a public form. That only creates an issue. In private, if you're honest and upbeat most players will agree where improvement needs to happen. You simply say this would have been better if you XYZ, or we need to improve here or for the good of the team or someone else may get a chance. Then in practice, you run those type of plays at him without the team knowing it, then privately or publicly give him the high five. But we are talking about an ability here or lack thereof. Coaching is actually a private thing in many cases.

Any good DB coach should know Daivs is ill-suited for the slot. I said this from day one, yet they tried. A waste of time.

Our coaching on DB's has not been great. I see too many poor draft picks, bad free agent signings ( Cortez Allen ) and until recently a penny stock strategy at cornerback. It took a bit long to promote Golden, who I think could be our best safety on the team. Edit that, I think he is our best safety on the team, Mitchell is a bone head. If Mitchell would focus on the ball and not the hit, he'd have more interceptions and fewer penalties.

If it makes you feel better I think Burns has playmaking ability. He showed it last week in the end zone. If he missed, it likely would have been a touchdown. The guy is tall, with long, and ball skills. Burns seems to have some fight in him too, but as far as football IQ, quickness to cover smaller players, and long-term speed deep, I think we'll have to wait and see.

Fair questions, fair reply.

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
In film clips enough said.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
In film clips enough said.

Yeah, instead of watching 3 hours, you see all the plays that went his way in the game A much better way to evaluate what a player can and can not do, without the worry of finding his number on every play or rewinding and finding the play you want to see again. Does this make sense? This is how the scouts do it. I broke down all 50+ plays that went Burns way posting the results here. No one said it didn't happen the way I said it. Film has no agenda.

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Yeah, instead of watching 3 hours, you see all the plays that went his way in the game A much better way to evaluate what a player can and can not do, without the worry of finding his number on every play or rewinding and finding the play you want to see again. This is how the scouts do it. I broke down all the plays that went Burns way posting the results here. No one said it didn't happen the way I said it. Film has no agenda.

LMAO OK coach. I'm not going to go back and forth we will revisit this after some more games..don't break your arm

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
LMAO OK coach. I'm not going to go back and forth we will revisit this after some more games..don't break your arm

That's fine. I'm correct here based on what we have seen. Sometimes I think you really don't understand what I'm saying or are too stubborn to admit it. No need to pat me on the back, part of my reply is aimed at the board readers.

If TMC were to come back...well send him my post and we'll see!

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
That's fine. I'm correct here based on what we have seen. Sometimes I think you really don't understand what I'm saying or are too stubborn to admit it. No need to pat me on the back, part of my reply is aimed at the board readers.

Is the season over??? Just give the kid some time..what you may be seeing is Rookie mistakes..not a career trend

Spike

Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask

What teams have you actually Coached?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
And I understand totally what you are saying..my issue is you aren't giving it enough time. Secondly you are focusing on one aspect. There are numerous things the kid is getting right. I posted film showing that.. being where he is supposed to be. Disguising coverages the way he is supposed to getting to the spots he is supposed to be at to make a defense work. All those things factor into his grade when coaches watch film too. 5 missed tackles in the first game down to two in the second sounds like progress to me. Speed of the game takes time to get used to. But as of right now you are correct he had missed tackles but I'm not ready to call it a career trend. I'm going to let the kid get some experience and see if the game slows down for him.

Last edited:

chipped ham

Reaction score
I think it's encouraging that he's been around the football/ball carrier all the time. Whether he makes the tackle or not, it seems like he's usually the first one to the man. I also think he had a hand in shutting green down on Sunday. Proper tackling can be taught, especially to a guy who had 300+ in college.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure how accurate those numbers are. I certainly don't remember seeing him miss 5 tackles in game 1. When I think of missed tackle, I mean really missed. Because most CB's in this league need help bringing down a RB, etc. If they count that as a missed tackle, I can see that number being legit. He did miss on Bernard this past week.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
the title for the next thread: "Am I an attention *****?" (hope a poll is included)

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
by the way one of those "missed tackles" by Davis in the first game was when Fort spearheaded himself against Davis when he was trying to wrap the ball carrier.
Fort literally threw himself against Davis, lowered his helmet and went ahead without seeing

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
But Davis lack of tackling ability was evident in the film clips. Had Davis been a 4th or 5th round pick ( Rated by at least one team here ) , I would not be so hard on him. So far this prediction has been spot on. In the camp the pre-season games and in the first two regular games. Small sample? Yes, but he's far in the lead with this problem.

In regards to coaching it we are talking Safties, tackling is at a premium as they often engage the player with the ball several yards past the line of scrimmage. Mistakes here are magnified. As a coach, I tried to be very fair, but the firm never lashing out any anyone in a public form. That only creates an issue. In private, if you're honest and upbeat most players will agree where improvement needs to happen. You simply say this would have been better if you XYZ, or we need to improve here or for the good of the team or someone else may get a chance. Then in practice, you run those type of plays at him without the team knowing it, then privately or publicly give him the high five. But we are talking about an ability here or lack thereof. Coaching is actually a private thing in many cases.

Any good DB coach should know Daivs is ill-suited for the slot. I said this from day one, yet they tried. A waste of time.

Our coaching on DB's has not been great. I see too many poor draft picks, bad free agent signings ( Cortez Allen ) and until recently a penny stock strategy at cornerback. It took a bit long to promote Golden, who I think could be our best safety on the team. Edit that, I think he is our best safety on the team, Mitchell is a bone head. If Mitchell would focus on the ball and not the hit, he'd have more interceptions and fewer penalties.

Allen wasn't a Free Agent signing

If it makes you feel better I think Burns has playmaking ability. He showed it last week in the end zone. If he missed, it likely would have been a touchdown. The guy is tall, with long, and ball skills. Burns seems to have some fight in him too, but as far as football IQ, quickness to cover smaller players, and long-term speed deep, I think we'll have to wait and see.
why you keep saying he has low football IQ? ALso any tall, fast CB would have problems covering small shifty WRs, that's why he plays outside, not nickel

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score

Thing is nobody cares but you. We understand perfectly what you are saying. But to us , hes a rookie. Apparently a pretty good one for garnering the playing time. YOU on the other hand only see your own reflection as some kind of living room scout. Like a super hero. Insurance guy by day. Steeler draft guru and NFL Officianado by night. Get over yourself.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I think it's encouraging that he's been around the football/ball carrier all the time. Whether he makes the tackle or not, it seems like he's usually the first one to the man. I also think he had a hand in shutting green down on Sunday. Proper tackling can be taught, especially to a guy who had 300+ in college.

Chipped Ham,

The scouting report for Davis says:

WEAKNESSES At times, was disastrous in man coverage. Dinged for 614 yards receiving against him. Slow, upright backpedal and clunky when turning to run. Seemed to be too big and lacking in foot quickness needed to play cornerback. Flagged for four pass interferences, a late hit and a personal foul this year. Charged with ten touchdowns allowed over last two seasons. Missed tackle numbers are troubling with 40 over last three years. Allows too much separation and can’t click and close on throws.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/sean-davis?id=2555386

Well, tackling is a bit harder in the NFL. So far 7 missed tackles in two games.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Thing is nobody cares but you. We understand perfectly what you are saying. But to us , hes a rookie. Apparently a pretty good one for garnering the playing time. .

Or he's playing because Thomas " doesn't " have it above the neck " and Dangerfield is our 5th safety with next to no playing time.