• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Was I out of bounds by worrying about Sean Davis ability to tackle?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Poorly thought out? Hardly. More like correct. Play the rookie card if needed, just let me know at what point do you consider it a problem? I think Davis leads the NFL at missed tackles. Some other posters see the problem. Tackling is football 101. To be this weak at tackling with a past history of it in college tells you what?

What other posters agree with you?????

ark steel

Reaction score
He also refuses to acknowledge the improvement from game 1 to game 2. If he, indeed, missed 5 tackles in game 1, then missed 2 tackles in game 2, what's his game 3 total going to be? Zero? He certainly is trending that way.

In as many snaps as chick has played in a regular season game, he has 2 more tackles from the LB position than you and i.....

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Chick is supposed to only apply pressure. it's up to others to make the tackle.

or something like that.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
It's tough to judge Davis so far since so few rookies have played this much in Steelers history.

kev4heels

Reaction score
still waiting coach - where have you coached?

Aussie_Steeler

Reaction score
He also refuses to acknowledge the improvement from game 1 to game 2. If he, indeed, missed 5 tackles in game 1, then missed 2 tackles in game 2, what's his game 3 total going to be? Zero? He certainly is trending that way.

Is there an improvement though? The lower number of missed tackles as a standalone stat doesn't really tell you much at all. It may be because he has improved, it may also reflect less direct involvement in the play, or it could (and more probably is) be a combination of the two. Given he had 4 tackles against Washington and 1 tackle against Cincinatti, lesser direct involvement does look like a factor in the reduced missed tackles. By the way I am not taking Coach's side here, I am firmly in the "its way too early to be writing a rookie off" camp.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/09/game-rewind-steelers-vs-bengals/

Sean Davis is cited multiple times for doing well

Last edited by a moderator:

ark steel

Reaction score
Is there an improvement though? The lower number of missed tackles as a standalone stat doesn't really tell you much at all. It may be because he has improved, it may also reflect less direct involvement in the play, or it could (and more probably is) be a combination of the two. Given he had 4 tackles against Washington and 1 tackle against Cincinatti, lesser direct involvement does look like a factor in the reduced missed tackles. By the way I am not taking Coach's side here, I am firmly in the "its way too early to be writing a rookie off" camp.

Could very well be less involvement in plays, too.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It's tough to judge Davis so far since so few rookies have played this much in Steelers history.

And in point of fact, the top 3 picks - Burns, Davis, Hargrave - are all playing a ton of snaps. They will get better. Add in Dupree in about 5 weeks, and the defense could be pretty darn good.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
still waiting coach - where have you coached?

Again, I don't know why you people are so dismissive of coaching experience on Madden. Hell, I was coach and GM for the Steelers, and never lost a game (that I allowed to go to conclusion).

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask

What teams have you actually Coached?

I've mentioned this before, I coached high school ball.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
If you want me to continue to say how much of a miss Davis was in round two, the best way to do it is to mock the facts.

Outside of he's a rookie which really is not an excuse for leading the team by a mile in missed tackles, and excusing his past issues in college and the pre-seaosn where he also had the same issues, I have not seen any football context to say it ain't so.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
If you want me to continue to say how much of a miss Davis was in round two, the best way to do it is to mock the facts.

Outside of he's a rookie which really is not an excuse for leading the team by a mile in missed tackles, and excusing his past issues in college and the pre-seaosn where he also had the same issues, I have not seen any football context to say it ain't so.

Here you go

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/09/game-rewind-steelers-vs-bengals/

Cited numerous times for good plays

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Here you go

Cited numerous times for good plays

Or the bad angle and missed tackle by Davis cost us a touchdown. How about that?

By the way, a freeze frame doesn't tell what happened before or after and is no real way to judge a player I'm laughing at the nice angle to the ball photo, he only went to his assigned man. Big deal. What happened at the end of that play and can we see it in video?

On the – " Nice close and break up by Sean Davis on A.J. Green on this slant." it looks like he's making contact before the ball arrives. You can see it for yourself.

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Or the bad angle and missed tackle by Davis cost us a touchdown. How about that?

By the way, a freeze frame doesn't tell what happened before or after and is no real way to judge a player I'm laughing at the nice angle to the ball photo, he only went to his assigned man. Big deal. What happened at the end of that play and can we see it in video?

On the – " Nice close and break up by Sean Davis on A.J. Green on this slant." it looks like he's making contact before the ball arrives. You can see it for yourself.

Never mind Coach you're pitiful. Davis could have a phenomenal game and you would focus on any negative play and continue on your soapbox

Last edited:

chipped ham

Reaction score
Never mind Coach you're pitiful. Davis could have a phenomenal game and you would focus on any negative play and continue on your soapbox

I've been waiting to see what he has to say about Chickilo being a complete no-show as a pass rusher, you know, now that he's getting a decent amount of reps. I also really like how being in your second professional game is "not an excuse." Guys are going to take more than two ******* games to adjust to the speed of the game. That is a reality for probably 95% of rookies. As everyone has already pointed out, if it's still an issue come week 8, then you'll have something to talk about. Of course, he was totally off about Troy and that one turned out OK. Calling a guy a "miss" after two games. Get the **** out of here.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Coach
Will you be pulling for Davis to play well Sunday or for him to have a bad game so you can continue with this, I told you so about Davis? I

paperclip

Reaction score
Burns missed first on the tackle when the cinci RB scored.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I've been waiting to see what he has to say about Chickilo being a complete no-show as a pass rusher, you know, now that he's getting a decent amount of reps. I also really like how being in your second professional game is "not an excuse." Guys are going to take more than two ******* games to adjust to the speed of the game. That is a reality for probably 95% of rookies. As everyone has already pointed out, if it's still an issue come week 8, then you'll have something to talk about. Of course, he was totally off about Troy and that one turned out OK. Calling a guy a "miss" after two games. Get the **** out of here.

I am waitng too. Chickillo had two tackles last game, same amount of Jones and likley palyed less snaps.

I'm not calling Davis a bum, but I am pointing out those who had pitch forks in hand when I said he could not tackle well are were wrong. This goes back tot he draft. And the more they raise them, the more I'll point out they are still wrong. We'll see if he's still leading the team in missed tackles by week 8. I'll wager he is, barring him getting hurt

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Coach
Will you be pulling for Davis to play well Sunday or for him to have a bad game so you can continue with this, I told you so about Davis? I

I always want the team to win. Does that answer your question? If he keeps sucking, try Dangerfield out.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
We know you will tell us when you think you are right(thousand threads) we are waiting when you tell us yeah I had that wrong guys.

Davis could have 11 tackles two picks and a forced fumble and you will be like yeah he missed a tackle in the third quarter told you guys and then pat yourself on the back

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I am waitng too. Chickillo had two tackles last game, same amount of Jones and likley palyed less snaps.

I'm not calling Davis a bum, but I am pointing out those who had pitch forks in hand when I said he could not tackle well are were wrong. This goes back tot he draft. And the more they raise them, the more I'll point out they are still wrong. We'll see if he's still leading the team in missed tackles by week 8. I'll wager he is, barring him getting hurt

Just to clarify....Will you point out YOU were wrong if Davis isn't leading the team in missed tackles by week 8? What if Chickillo is leading the team in missed tackles?

You are skewing your arguments in tunnel vision fashion. Most coaches and talking heads have stated that tackling THROUGHOUT the league's teams is atrocious, and has been getting worse for they past decade for ALL clubs. This is because of the lack of practice time and OTAs the CBA now allows. You are a purportedly a "coach", so you must understand the fundamentals of practice time impacts performance. Its not obvious that skill players can practice catching balls well after team practices are over and can catch some impossible throws. But defensive players cannot improve their tackling because contact is prohibited off practice time.