• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Was I out of bounds by worrying about Sean Davis ability to tackle?

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Coach your boy Chickillo has zero missed tackles, only because he gets himself ran so far off the play he is no longer on the screen. At least Davis is around the ball frequently. He is 2 games into his career and will improve. Chick by the way is in his 2nd season, can't sniff the ball on defensive snaps and is a future HOF candidate. Whatever it takes I guess to prove your point?

Try viewing all the players through the same glasses rather than just proving your ill gotten ideas correct. Out of bounds, maybe? The play is under further review. If he is still having tackling issues after a reasonable sample size I'll buy your assertion and give ya an atta boy

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Chipped Ham,

The scouting report for Davis says:

WEAKNESSES At times, was disastrous in man coverage. Dinged for 614 yards receiving against him. Slow, upright backpedal and clunky when turning to run. Seemed to be too big and lacking in foot quickness needed to play cornerback. Flagged for four pass interferences, a late hit and a personal foul this year. Charged with ten touchdowns allowed over last two seasons. Missed tackle numbers are troubling with 40 over last three years. Allows too much separation and can’t click and close on throws.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/sean-davis?id=2555386

Well, tackling is a bit harder in the NFL. So far 7 missed tackles in two games.

So how many tackles from the safety position. You know how natural position. Go look at the film and get back to us

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Thing is nobody cares but you. We understand perfectly what you are saying. But to us , hes a rookie. Apparently a pretty good one for garnering the playing time. YOU on the other hand only see your own reflection as some kind of living room scout. Like a super hero. Insurance guy by day. Steeler draft guru and NFL Officianado by night. Get over yourself.

Exactly

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Full bio

Strengths
Big, broad frame with absolutely shredded physique. Showed mental toughness. Bounced back from awful Bowling Green game to make numerous plays against South Florida the next week. Has size to battle against move tight ends. Leaps and challenges aggressively on 50/50 throws. Grabbed three interceptions in 2015. Around the ball and in the mix. Posted 298 tackles over three years as a starter. Comes firing downhill with purpose when it is time to get help against the run. Looks to lay the wood to receivers and make them feel it. Second in the nation with five forced fumbles. Has played safety and cornerback.
Weaknesses
At times, was disastrous in man coverage. Dinged for 614 yards receiving against him. Slow, upright backpedal and clunky when turning to run. Seemed to be too big and lacking in foot quickness needed to play cornerback. Flagged for four pass interferences, a late hit and a personal foul this year. Charged with ten touchdowns allowed over last two seasons. Missed tackle numbers are troubling with 40 over last three years. Allows too much separation and can’t click and close on throws.
Draft Projection
Rounds 2 or 3
NFL Comparison
Duke Ihenacho
Bottom Line
Miscast this season as an outside cornerback, Davis battled through adversity and bounced back with ball production, tackles and forced fumbles. Davis has the ability to cover, but his strengths would best be utilized at safety where he has fewer man responsibilities and can be deployed near the line of scrimmage a little more often. Davis is an eventual starter at safety and a big backup at cornerback.

Wingman

Reaction score
Going from 5 to 2 missed tackles is an improvement. The kid is a rookie and will have issues, he sounds like he is correcting them. One also needs to remember the other guys get paid too and some of them are pretty good. I like what they are doing with the team this year. The defense is playing winning football. The offense is playing winning football. Special teams are playing winning football. The team looks to be in the distance mode so as to win as many games as possible. Not a lot of gambles on defense, just playing to stop the other team enough to make sure the offense can win it. Limiting points to what they have done is great. Even if the offense has an off day like last Sunday the team still won the game. The young guys are being developed while playing winning football. This is the best I have seen the team working in years based on the folks they have to play.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Yeah, lets cut Timmons and Shazier to for sucking at tackling!

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Chipped Ham,

WEAKNESSES At times, was disastrous in man coverage. Dinged for 614 yards receiving against him. Slow, upright backpedal and clunky when turning to run. Seemed to be too big and lacking in foot quickness needed to play cornerback. Flagged for four pass interferences, a late hit and a personal foul this year. Charged with ten touchdowns allowed over last two seasons. Missed tackle numbers are troubling with 40 over last three years. Allows too much separation and can’t click and close on throws.

Well, tackling is a bit harder in the NFL. So far 7 missed tackles in two games.

how many times do I have to make you remember that the report you are quoting is for him playing CB? he was switched for necessity. His natural position is S. Even that bad experience as CB still is experience and he sure learned from it and will make him better in coverage when needed
Do you play dumb or what? Always with the same bullshit

kev4heels

Reaction score
I'm curious too Coach - what teams did you coach?
Outside of your Madden teams.

chipped ham

Reaction score
Chipped Ham,

Soooooo, he can't be coached up on how to tackle? He is now in a damn good organization, or program if you will, that'll show him how to tackle. As has been stated, the numbers have already dropped for him two games into his young career. If that trend continues, he'll be just fine and continue to be the tackling machine that he was at Maryland. You know, the place where he had 320 career stops?

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
If you think Davis is a 4th-5th round prospect, I would have to question that person's ability to understand film as well as the size/ speed/ playmaking ability that Davis provides. If he was a 4/5 rd prospect, there is no way he'd be on the field for over half of the defensive snaps in his first 2 games as a pro.

PS, one of his missed tackles was when he missed the ball carrier in the backfield on the blitz, something Polamalu was known to do in his day, and he's going to end up in Canton...

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
If you think Davis is a 4th-5th round prospect, I would have to question that person's ability to understand film as well as the size/ speed/ playmaking ability that Davis provides. If he was a 4/5 rd prospect, there is no way he'd be on the field for over half of the defensive snaps in his first 2 games as a pro.

PS, one of his missed tackles was when he missed the ball carrier in the backfield on the blitz, something Polamalu was known to do in his day, and he's going to end up in Canton...

Well Polamalu head was too big causing him to tilt over and lose balance when blitzing soooooo...

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I was about to post that Polamalu's first year was less than inspiring...

While I have no illusions that Davis may turn out like Troy Polamalu, I suspect that as a rookie he may make quite a few mistakes when thrown into a starting role early, particularly when asked to play outside his natural position.

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Whenever Green ran underneath routes, Pittsburgh was right on top of it. Running with Green, being physical and being aggressive when the ball was thrown was all part of the plan. But when Dalton saw that his top receiver had a one-on-one matchup with Davis, a rookie, he took the shot. The Steelers want to use Davis on inside receivers. His play looked more like a seasoned veteran on this play as he forced an incomplete pass on first down.

For those who have been critical of defensive backs coach Carnell Lake, an honest look at the fundamentals and consistent solid decisions on the part of the Steelers’ secondary shows a well trained group of players who have turned from a liability to an asset early in this season.

Carter’s Classroom: The secret to quieting A.J. Green - http://dkpittsburghsports.com/2016/09/20/carters-classroom-secret-quieting-j-green/

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Waaaay too early to make any type of assessment of Davis. He seems like a sharp kid and he's certainly athletic enough, I'm hoping he continues to improve as the games go on. The fact he's even on the field this early is plenty impressive to me. I have nothing but positive thoughts regarding this entire rookie class.

P

POP

you do know he is a rookie that seldom comes off the field correct? he had the same amount of missed tackles last week as shazier and gay. perhaps all of them need to be replaced.

Seldom comes off the field? Is he a starter at CB or S? Surely if he seldom comes off the field, he must be a starter. But I didn't realize he was starting. I thought Mitchell and Golden were our starting safeties.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Pittsburgh was in sub-packages, nickel or dime, for 61 of 73 snaps Sunday. That’s 83.6%. 30 plays came in dime. In the regular season last year, the Steelers used dime just 61 times. Factor in Week One and we’re already closing in on the same usage amounts

Week one

Nickel: 36/55 (65.5%)
3-4: 10/55 (18.2%)
Dime: 9/55 (16.4%)

Yes he rarely comes off the field since he plays in both the dime and nickle packages which we are in majority of the time

Last edited:

steelhurt

Reaction score
Coach, you need to give Davis some time here to adjust to the speed of the NFL. Its only been a couple games and you already have him targeted. Lets give the young man a chance before your ready to dump him.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Coach, you need to give Davis some time here to adjust to the speed of the NFL. Its only been a couple games and you already have him targeted. Lets give the young man a chance before your ready to dump him.

He's on Davis *** because he has to be right but he is quiet as a church mouse about chickillo not doing anything now that he is getting some playing time

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I thought we overdrafted Davis. I think he can improve his tackling. I'm also impressed that he is taking on so many responsibilities as a rookie.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Pop, do you watch Steeler games? For the past 2 years, our base defense has been the Nickel. It's because teams all run 3WR sets or 2WR with a pass catching TE.

ark steel

Reaction score
I think you are out of line using 2 games as your sample size. And, assuming everyone is right about 5 in the first game and 2 in the 2nd, giving then equal weight.

You really should accept that some people here understand the information behind the statistics and stop just spouting some statistic as if it is definitive. It's ok to have an opinion. even if it is poorly thought out.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I think you are out of line using 2 games as your sample size. And, assuming everyone is right about 5 in the first game and 2 in the 2nd, giving then equal weight.

You really should accept that some people here understand the information behind the statistics and stop just spouting some statistic as if it is definitive. It's ok to have an opinion. even if it is poorly thought out.

Poorly thought out? Hardly. More like correct. Play the rookie card if needed, just let me know at what point do you consider it a problem? I think Davis leads the NFL at missed tackles. Some other posters see the problem. Tackling is football 101. To be this weak at tackling with a past history of it in college tells you what?

ark steel

Reaction score
I'm not talking about your draft analysis of him,I'm talking about your poorly thought out analysis that 2 games into his rookie year proves you are correct.

You may be right in the end. As of now, you don't know **** about it. You got mad at us for pointing out that chick had zero tackles from the LB position because the sample size was too small...

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Moats is leading the team in sacks. You don't see me starting threads saying I'm right because I'm not a narcissist.

chipped ham

Reaction score
I'm not talking about your draft analysis of him,I'm talking about your poorly thought out analysis that 2 games into his rookie year proves you are correct.

You may be right in the end. As of now, you don't know **** about it. You got mad at us for pointing out that chick had zero tackles from the LB position because the sample size was too small...

He also refuses to acknowledge the improvement from game 1 to game 2. If he, indeed, missed 5 tackles in game 1, then missed 2 tackles in game 2, what's his game 3 total going to be? Zero? He certainly is trending that way.