• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Troy Fautanu, OT, Washington

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Who is to say that Worthy (or for that matter, an even better player) wouldn’t still have been available at 32?

Yes, but if, say George Pickens goes off this year and has 90 receptions for 1,400 yards and 12 TDs, other than a little leverage, it doesn’t really matter much that the Steelers don’t have a fifth year option on him. He’s going to want a new contract and they should be inclined to give him one.

One, the other, or possibly both was most likely a stupid decision. The only way it wasn’t is if Penix comes off the bench after a Cousins injury and takes the Falcons to a Super Bowl championship and then does it again in 2025.
Oh, here you can reason?

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Hate the pick but not because of the player. I knew in my heart we would not take a QB but I also said that one would be there at 10 or 11 and sure as **** McCarthy was sitting there at ten and then Nix at 12 and we ******* don't make a trade for the most important position on the field. what the ever loving ****. great we got a offensive lineman that is coming off TWO serious injury's. Now we go into the season with an older washed up Wilson who is on a one year deal or a younger not productive Fields that is also basically on a one year deal because no way in hell we pick up his 5th year.

Not taking a QB this year is going to ******* haunt us for years ALA Dan Marino in 83. I just don't ******* get it, we move from 20 to 11 for Devin ******* Bush but not to 10 for a franchise QB

JJ McCarthy WILL be the best QB of this draft and two or three years from now I won't be the only one on this board pissed and bitching because we didn't do whatever it took to get him. So now we are probably looking at another 20 ******* years of ****** QB play and I will not live long enough to see another SB win. son of a ***** am I ******* pissed.
In summary, what do you really think?

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Hate the pick but not because of the player. I knew in my heart we would not take a QB but I also said that one would be there at 10 or 11 and sure as **** McCarthy was sitting there at ten and then Nix at 12 and we ******* don't make a trade for the most important position on the field. what the ever loving ****. great we got a offensive lineman that is coming off TWO serious injury's. Now we go into the season with an older washed up Wilson who is on a one year deal or a younger not productive Fields that is also basically on a one year deal because no way in hell we pick up his 5th year.

Not taking a QB this year is going to ******* haunt us for years ALA Dan Marino in 83. I just don't ******* get it, we move from 20 to 11 for Devin ******* Bush but not to 10 for a franchise QB

JJ McCarthy WILL be the best QB of this draft and two or three years from now I won't be the only one on this board pissed and bitching because we didn't do whatever it took to get him. So now we are probably looking at another 20 ******* years of ****** QB play and I will not live long enough to see another SB win. son of a ***** am I ******* pissed.
JJ McCarthy will be a borderline backup, he won't be **** in this league, calm your titz, wolverine boy. the only reason you're pissed is because your fantasy of a championship-winning U of M quarterback becoming the Steelers franchise QB didn't pan out. By the end of this season, you'll realize that he's not all that great, and your blood pressure should normalize.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
You don't quite get it? I'd rather draft a guy who doesn't have an ACL jnjury history, and "could need another surgery there" in the future. And Fautanu will be already be 24 years old in October, so I'm sorry, the potential of throwing away a full season of a first-round pick in his prime doesn't sound very appealing to me.

As @slashsteel said, there's nothing we can do but wait and see. What I have noticed is that even on all the clips of Penix, I've been watching #55, and he seems to be doing an excellent job fundamentally on just about every play. So I understand what the Steelers like about him.
Eh, ACL injuries happen all the time. They aren't career ending injuries.

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
JJ McCarthy will be a borderline backup, he won't be **** in this league, calm your titz, wolverine boy. the only reason you're pissed is because your fantasy of a championship-winning U of M quarterback becoming the Steelers franchise QB didn't pan out. By the end of this season, you'll realize that he's not all that great, and your blood pressure should normal
I already posted his HS and college stats so no need to revisit that, but I will point out this little fact. If McCarthy had not been riding the pine by midway thru most of his games this year because MI was utterly destroying most everyone they played, or if teams would have been better competition to them he may very well have won the heisman this year..

There also was a time that character meant something to this team (which McCarthy is over flowing with) but I guess that all we want now are cry baby ******** like Pickett or head cases like Brown and others that have graced our field.

Yes I am a HUGE McCarthy fan but truth be known I would have moved up for five of the six QB picks that were taken it just so happen that McCarthy was sitting there at ten. If you Think McCarthy will be a "borderline backup" maybe you need to go watch some actual game film on him or listen to some of the football experts, the majority feel quite the opposite of what you are saying.

For the record most of my anger was not because of not picking JJ but because I have set here for the last fifty plus years and other than Terry and Big Ben I have watched this team field average to below average to extremely ****** QB's year after year and not win ****. we are in a division where the only team that is not set up with a franchise QB is the steelers and we expect to compete once again with ****** QB play?

There are lineman to be had in every draft but a QB draft like this one is crazy Rare where you can get a potential star after the first 5 or six picks.

So if my opinion, football knowledge or passion offend you please feel free skip past my post.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
I already posted his HS and college stats so no need to revisit that, but I will point out this little fact. If McCarthy had not been riding the pine by midway thru most of his games this year because MI was utterly destroying most everyone they played, or if teams would have been better competition to them he may very well have won the heisman this year.

For the record most of my anger was not because of not picking JJ but because I have set here for the last fifty plus years.

So if my opinion, football knowledge or passion offend you please feel free skip past my post.
Fair enough and if he becomes the next dominating QB, most of the nfl, talking heads and scouts underestimated McCarthy. It happens, long story short, Steelers should have moved up. Most didn't look at it that way obviously, but going all in on a Qb who you feel strongly about is fine by me

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I already posted his HS and college stats so no need to revisit that, but I will point out this little fact. If McCarthy had not been riding the pine by midway thru most of his games this year because MI was utterly destroying most everyone they played, or if teams would have been better competition to them he may very well have won the heisman this year..

There also was a time that character meant something to this team (which McCarthy is over flowing with) but I guess that all we want now are cry baby ******** like Pickett or head cases like Brown and others that have graced our field.

Yes I am a HUGE McCarthy fan but truth be known I would have moved up for five of the six QB picks that were taken it just so happen that McCarthy was sitting there at ten. If you Think McCarthy will be a "borderline backup" maybe you need to go watch some actual game film on him or listen to some of the football experts, the majority feel quite the opposite of what you are saying.

For the record most of my anger was not because of not picking JJ but because I have set here for the last fifty plus years and other than Terry and Big Ben I have watched this team field average to below average to extremely ****** QB's year after year and not win ****. we are in a division where the only team that is not set up with a franchise QB is the steelers and we expect to compete once again with ****** QB play?

There are lineman to be had in every draft but a QB draft like this one is crazy Rare where you can get a potential star after the first 5 or six picks.

For me I found him a hard decide. Like Stroud in college it took me no time to warm up to. With Kenny I knew his early concerns but never would imagine how it ultimately played out.

McCarthy who you obviously watched a ton more than me was in a scheme that show cases his ability to win with that heavy run scheme it will be interesting to see him outside of that.

I didn’t come away with the vibe I got say from Bo that maybe he maxed himself out. No from McCarthy I simply have no vibe on which way the pendulum will swing. What a challenging study he was. I don’t think you can cap those type of players as you have no idea their ceiling. He will be a fun watch moving forward.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score

oh brother, give me a break with this garbage. you're so lost in the big blue sauce you don't even realize it. heisman?? are you serious right now? lol! and you want to bring up "character", no ****, we'd all love the entire team to be a bunch of Lawrence Taylor's promenading as choir boys, that goes without saying. you act like JJ was the next Andrew Luck, an absolute lock to be a perpetual 1st Team-All Pro, he wasn't, and isn't, anywhere close to that. again, you're pissed because your homerism got the best of you, that's all. No need to hide from it.

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
oh brother, give me a break with this garbage. you're so lost in the big blue sauce you don't even realize it. heisman?? are you serious right now? lol! and you want to bring up "character", no ****, we'd all love the entire team to be a bunch of Lawrence Taylor's promenading as choir boys, that goes without saying. you act like JJ was the next Andrew Luck, an absolute lock to be a perpetual 1st Team-All Pro, he wasn't, and isn't, anywhere close to that. again, you're pissed because your homerism got the best of you, that's all. No need to hide from it.
I get it now you must be a fan of one of those teams MI crushed the dreams of last year, or are one of those people that think only the SEC counts for anything.

Arch Manning hasn't done **** to date but you can bet your *** people will be losing their minds to draft him because his last name is Manning. Kenny Pickett had one good year out of FIVE and never won **** but hey lets give him a chance because he was from pitt, where is KP now? Most college QB's start one or maybe two years anymore but get taken in the first round because they have one good year and go undefeated or win a national championship look at bama for a prime example.

Your deep hatred of MI is blinding you to the fact that McCarthy has always been a winner, he was a five star recruit rated in the top 25 of high school players. Goes to MI and wins three big ten titles and a national championship. He takes care of the football and doesn't put his team in a tough situation because of bad decisions. he has done nothing but win at every level but hey he is from MI so lets **** on him.

A lot of people had many of the same questions about CJ Stroud. how did that work out..

You keep spewing the hate for him but with no stats to back up that dislike only pointing to my MI "homerism" which pretty much everyone on this board does for the college team they support, which leads me back to my first sentence because I never see you give this much **** to any other "Homer" here. so instead of just hating on the kid give legit reasons you think he will be a bust. one two three go....

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
For me I found him a hard decide. Like Stroud in college it took me no time to warm up to. With Kenny I knew his early concerns but never would imagine how it ultimately played out.

McCarthy who you obviously watched a ton more than me was in a scheme that show cases his ability to win with that heavy run scheme it will be interesting to see him outside of that.

I didn’t come away with the vibe I got say from Bo that maybe he maxed himself out. No from McCarthy I simply have no vibe on which way the pendulum will swing. What a challenging study he was. I don’t think you can cap those type of players as you have no idea their ceiling. He will be a fun watch moving forward.
McCarthy was a tough read for me as well. I think he can be good, I just don't see it right now. However, he went to as good of a team that he could've landed with. Solid OL, excellent receivers, and a good offensive mind at head coach. McCarthy landed in a good situation.

ianv2012

Reaction score
I get it now you must be a fan of one of those teams MI crushed the dreams of last year, or are one of those people that think only the SEC counts for anything.

Arch Manning hasn't done **** to date but you can bet your *** people will be losing their minds to draft him because his last name is Manning. Kenny Pickett had one good year out of FIVE and never won **** but hey lets give him a chance because he was from pitt, where is KP now? Most college QB's start one or maybe two years anymore but get taken in the first round because they have one good year and go undefeated or win a national championship look at bama for a prime example.

Your deep hatred of MI is blinding you to the fact that McCarthy has always been a winner, he was a five star recruit rated in the top 25 of high school players. Goes to MI and wins three big ten titles and a national championship. He takes care of the football and doesn't put his team in a tough situation because of bad decisions. he has done nothing but win at every level but hey he is from MI so lets **** on him.

A lot of people had many of the same questions about CJ Stroud. how did that work out..

You keep spewing the hate for him but with no stats to back up that dislike only pointing to my MI "homerism" which pretty much everyone on this board does for the college team they support, which leads me back to my first sentence because I never see you give this much **** to any other "Homer" here. so instead of just hating on the kid give legit reasons you think he will be a bust. one two three go....
The more you respond, the more it comes off as personal for you. You're not helping yourself against the homer narrative, and before you accuse me of being upset that Michigan defeated one of my teams, I don't have a college team, I just enjoy watching college football in general. I have one bias in NCAAF is that I hate Alabama, anything else is I just want to see good games

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score

JJ McCarthy??!? Are you serious?

You are mad that we didnt move up and draft a glorified game manager? A game manager with no elite traits?

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
JJ McCarthy??!? Are you serious?

You are mad that we didnt move up and draft a glorified game manager? A game manager with no elite traits?

Nevermind- I see that you are a UofM fan, so I understand.

But I am of the belief that a first round pick should be reserved for guys who are the best player on their respective teams (or close to it). And when I watched Michigan games, I never came away thinking that with JJ.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Nevermind- I see that you are a UofM fan, so I understand.

But I am of the belief that a first round pick should be reserved for guys who are the best player on their respective teams (or close to it). And when I watched Michigan games, I never came away thinking that with JJ.
im pretty sure that was the same sentiments many had about another Michigan QB. in the 6th round. Tom Brady. I hate michigan by the way. Just think we cant go really calling qb's busts etc until you see them on the field. Everyone passed on Brock Purdy too. almost.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
im pretty sure that was the same sentiments many had about another Michigan QB. in the 6th round. Tom Brady. I hate michigan by the way. Just think we cant go really calling qb's busts etc until you see them on the field. Everyone passed on Brock Purdy too. almost.

1. Not calling him a bust. Not yet.
  2. Getting a 'game manager' type QB in the 6th or 7th round is fantastic. Reaching for one in round 1 is disastrous.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, I came back to this thread because I don't think fans realize Troy Fautanu is 1/4" below 6'4"!! Ho-lee sheeit, that changes EVERYTHING!! We'll be lucky if the guy sees the field! You know, because everybody in front of him on the sidelines is taller.

Poobah

Reaction score
Hey, I came back to this thread because I don't think fans realize Troy Fautanu is 1/4" below 6'4"!! Ho-lee sheeit, that changes EVERYTHING!! We'll be lucky if the guy sees the field! You know, because everybody in front of him on the sidelines is taller.
meh. put a couple doctor shoals inserts into his cleats. Viola - 6'4"