• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Troy Fautanu, OT, Washington

steelcan58

Reaction score
It's been a long time coming that we've seriously addressed the OL. Back to back first round picks. I'm not sure that's ever happened before đź‘Ť

maowv

Contributor
Reaction score
This doesn't suck

I'm not going to pretend to be an O-Line coach here but I see a very athletic 6-4, 315 pound guy moving like a much smaller player. He's quick, can move laterally and get downfield much faster than most O-Linemen. No idea if they keep him at OT, or a move to OG or maybe OC (someone has to play there). But he sure looks like a very good athlete at OT and he graded out very high by most draft talking heads.

Can Dan Moore play Center? LOL

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Small concerns?

From themirror.com:

"The 6-foot-4 lineman struggled with injuries throughout his collegiate career, with NFL’s Ian Rapoport speculating that his shaky medical history was the main reason he dropped in the first round.

'You wonder how a talented player lasts this long. There certainly were some injury concerns,' he said during the live draft broadcast. 'First of all, the Steelers are good with the injuries… he had a previous ACL injury - some wear and tear potentially down the road, could need another surgery there. Then had a previous lisfranc sprain, the foot is a little stiff - stable but stiff.'"

Obviously, the Steelers are OK with the risk. I hope the guy anchors the offensive line for 10 years. But ACL and Lisfranc injuries, especially those which apparently aren't completely healed, are majorly concerning to me.
They said they wouldn’t speak with what was true or not. So not sure the degree of concern for them.

I have a feeling the reports out there might be inaccurate to his overall state of health present day.

I think we will hear more about this and that may or may not ease the concerns.

Some of the tape I saw it sure doesn’t seem the guy is slowed. He plays fast and is tenacious. I guess we’ll have to wait and see on this.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Why would buffalo trade down so KC can get their guy??
Because Brandon Bean is moron. He trades back twice in the first round to get more draft capital on day two because he ****** the Bills over the last two years. To add insult to injury, because they won't have a first-round contract in 2024, they lose the ability to exercise a fifth-year option for the 2024 draft class. Doh!!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
They said they wouldn’t speak with what was true or not. So not sure the degree of concern for them.

I have a feeling the reports out there might be inaccurate to his overall state of health present day.

I think we will hear more about this and that may or may not ease the concerns.

Some of the tape I saw it sure doesn’t seem the guy is slowed. He plays fast and is tenacious. I guess we’ll have to wait and see on this.
I don’t quite get why an ACL would be a concern either. I mean, these tears happen all the time at all levels of athletics and the athletes are recovering faster than ever, so I’m with you about the reports in terms of the knee issues.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We'll draft one in round 2

OR the first of the 3rd pick.

Would love to get the right guy in the 2nd but I think it all depends on who is there r at WR.

Salute the nation

ianv2012

Reaction score
So, we now have 3 LT's on the team. I guess Jones is staying at RT. Doesn't make much sense but Fautanu is a good player. WR in rd. 2 and C and rd. 3 possibly.
I wouldn't say necessarily that Jones is staying at RT, my guess is they toy around with where they all fit best, and from there decide the best starting 5. Fautanu is versatile, I don't believe he couldn't play RT, it's only a positive towards building the best OL possible. IDC which side these 2 end up playing, as long they become nasty dominant Ts, no one will care what position they "should" be playing, only that we somehow were able to have both Broderick and Fautanu and in the future wonder "amazing we got 2 elite bookends in back to back drafts"

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So, we now have 3 LT's on the team. I guess Jones is staying at RT. Doesn't make much sense but Fautanu is a good player. WR in rd. 2 and C and rd. 3 possibly.

Makes perfect sense. First, one of the three LT's is Dan Moore. Uhh, no.

Second, OT's are much more valuable than C's, and quality C's can be drafted 2nd round or later. When a guy who is a consensus top-15 talent, top-11 on some boards, is available at 20 you are hard-pressed not to take him. When that guy is an OT, you cannot pass on him. When that guy is an OT and you need help at OT, you would be certifiably insane to pass on him.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Some youtube guys were saying that he would be a dominant guard. It's cool to be that guy, but I'm getting tired of Moore being the reason our studs are misplaced.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't say necessarily that Jones is staying at RT, my guess is they toy around with where they all fit best, and from there decide the best starting 5. Fautanu is versatile, I don't believe he couldn't play RT, it's only a positive towards building the best OL possible. IDC which side these 2 end up playing, as long they become nasty dominant Ts, no one will care what position they "should" be playing, only that we somehow were able to have both Broderick and Fautanu and in the future wonder "amazing we got 2 elite bookends in back to back drafts"
As long as we get a nasty C today to go with them.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Some youtube guys were saying that he would be a dominant guard. It's cool to be that guy, but I'm getting tired of Moore being the reason our studs are misplaced.

Jones isn't bad at RT, but of the three........... Moore needs to be bench-warming.

Salute the nation

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
What if Moore went to right guard, and Daniel's to center. And we skip the center pick and go to WR or CB.

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
Some food for thought on Fautanu.....

Troy played left tackle for a left handed QB, meaning not Penix's blindside.
I think (hope is probably better here) they move Jones to LT and put Fautanu at RT.
And someone already said it earlier, hopefully Moore can play G or C.
Although, JPJ is still sitting there, so who knows.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Because Brandon Bean is moron. He trades back twice in the first round to get more draft capital on day two because he ****** the Bills over the last two years. To add insult to injury, because they won't have a first-round contract in 2024, they lose the ability to exercise a fifth-year option for the 2024 draft class. Doh!!
On the other hand, the players they would’ve taken may very well still be available.

The 5th year option is good for preventing roster needs but I don’t know that it’s that important. If a team hasn’t resigned a player after four years and is using the fifth year option to retain him, they’re probably not that concerned about eventually losing him.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
What if Moore went to right guard, and Daniel's to center. And we skip the center pick and go to WR or CB.
A lot of the Pittsburgh Sports media seemed to think that the Steelers were bluffing about their options at C with their current lineman. Being that they drafted an OT, maybe they weren’t bluffing?

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I still can't wrap my head around how we can pass on a wide out from the SEC that lead the NCAA in touchdowns with 17...when we have the worst wide receiver room in the league!!

If you put the 65 jersey on him....you would think it was Dan Moore!
Similar to Moore---This Guy is not a tackle....maybe inside?

We drafted the clone of Dan Moore.
:(
Don't like the selection at all....can you tell?!?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
`This guy has short arms!!!!! OMG with got a T-rex at Tackle now?

1/4 inch short lol. My wife has complained about shortness issues far greater than than that at times......:ROFLMAO:
I think his long arms and shorter frame works in favour. Generally you want the tall guy because by frame you should have the arm length. This guy has the arm length yet the compactness and leverage to be nimble and powerful.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I still can't wrap my head around how we can pass on a wide out from the SEC that lead the NCAA in touchdowns with 17...when we have the worst wide receiver room in the league!!

If you put the 65 jersey on him....you would think it was Dan Moore!
Similar to Moore---This Guy is not a tackle....maybe inside?

We drafted the clone of Dan Moore.
:(
Don't like the selection at all....can you tell?!?
You do have an infatuation with WRs