• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Sign Tomlin to Three-Year Extension

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Once the Steelers won 11 games straight they could have chosen to make a bye for themselves basically at any time by resting players if it was that much of a problem.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like at the NFL level, the head coach accounts for a fairly small percentage of why a team wins or loses. Players account for about 90% in my opinion. That's why I get such a kick out of the Tomlin induced Armageddons we see here so often. It amuses me to no end.

And yes I think Tomlin will have his first losing season after Ben goes unless they luck into another great QB right away. Hence the fact that players account overwhelming amount of wins and losses. If you have any doubt take a look of Chuck Noll's early tenure before multiple HOF players and a Franchise QB came aboard. Look at his late tenure once said HOF'ers retired.
Bruh, you hit the nail on the head. Thank you...

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Once the Steelers won 11 games straight they could have chosen to make a bye for themselves basically at any time by resting players if it was that much of a problem.
I think I agree but guess what? Had we lost games because of 'rested players' - Coach Tomlin still gets blamed.

I wonder if we can blame him for the atrocious game-changing calls missed by the refs???

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like at the NFL level, the head coach accounts for a fairly small percentage of why a team wins or loses. Players account for about 90% in my opinion.

Okay.

So you don't think the 10% difference a coach makes is a lot? A 10% difference means winning 2 more games per year (10% of 17 games = 1.7, rounded up to 2).

Two more wins vs. two more losses does not matter?

diver

Reaction score
Okay.

So you don't think the 10% difference a coach makes is a lot? A 10% difference means winning 2 more games per year (10% of 17 games = 1.7, rounded up to 2).

Sure it does. But maybe Tomlin wins those two games, or two different games. How do we know for sure one way or the other? It is all hypothetical.

It's just not worth worrying about. He's gonna be the coach. We cannot control that. So we all have a choice, either watch or don't. To be honest I am leaning toward not bothering anymore. I think Tomlin is a good man, but I am tired of seeing the same thing year after year. Who's more at fault you all can speculate.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Sure it does. But maybe Tomlin wins those two games, or two different games. How do we know for sure one way or the other? It is all hypothetical.

I was simply responding very specifically to what Supersteeler said.

And your premise - "Who knows, it's all hypothetical" - means the Steelers should never fire a coach. Ever. No matter the results.

Go 3-14? Maybe they go 1-16 without the genius of Mike Tomlin. Maybe. It's all hypothetical.

Know what's not hypothetical? The Steelers have not won a playoff game since 2016, have been outscored a combined 129-84 in their last three playoff games. Yes, the Pittsburgh Steelers have given up 43 points per game in their last three playoff games. They have not been to the Super Bowl since the 2010 season, despite having players in their prime like Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown, Leveon Bell, Heath Miller, James Harrison, Lawrence Timmons, Troy Polamalu, Brett Kiesel, Joe Haden, Cam Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Maurkice Pouncey, David Decastro. I think that list includes two certain HOF players and possibly two others.

And what is the one constant over those last 11 seasons, the last three playoff embarrassments (two at home to inferior opponents)? His first name is "Mike."

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Okay.

Art Rooney II is a fool. Who gives a head coach who has not won a playoff game since Jan 2016 and is 3-7 in his last 10 layoff games ( beating 2 back up Qbs's ) a 3 year extension? Art freaken Rooney II is the lone answer this question.

Heck yes 2 games matter. This is the NFL. 4-20-21 is a sad day for any steeler fan who values playoff wins and a chance to make the super bowl again.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Art Rooney II is a fool. Who gives a head coach who has not won a playoff game since Jan 2016 and is 3-7 in his last 10 layoff games ( beating 2 back up Qbs's ) a 3 year extension? Art freaken Rooney II is the lone answer this question.

Heck yes 2 games matter. This is the NFL. 4-20-21 is a sad day for any steeler fan who values playoff wins and a chance to make the super bowl again.
It's your wailing, gnashing of teeth and tears of frustration I was talking about.
Thank You

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
It's your wailing, gnashing of teeth and tears of frustration I was talking about.
Thank You
I just thought he got dropped on his head as a kid, but you could be right.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I think I agree but guess what? Had we lost games because of 'rested players' - Coach Tomlin still gets blamed.

I wonder if we can blame him for the atrocious game-changing calls missed by the refs???
He is the head coach so they will always get their fair share of blame sure they run the ship. As far as the speculation you touched on let us not just look at one season, sure that would be more speculative. But his whole body of works shows a pattern. A late season pattern that isn't attractive. Do you at least agree with that?

Stewey

Reaction score

So this debacle was Tomlins fault?
From what I remember the Steelers were sitting pretty that year, could have been top seed. This catch that was not a catch put in shambles what was to become a great end to the regular season.

notd-0.gif

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
On the positive side, we can all be pleasantly shocked if/when the Steelers ever win a playoff game.

However, we don't need to weigh ourselves down with any expectations that the team will actually get in to, much less succeed in post-season.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We all know Coach Tomlin's strengths and his weaknesses. There are no more Coach Cowher players on the team and this team has lead the league, defensively in sacks and has VASTLY IMPROVED in takeaways over the past two seasons. The team won ELEVEN games straight and they had NO REAL BYE WEEK last season---yeah, they ran out of gas.

How many of us thought that we would have won 8 games after Ben went down??? NO OF US. But they did it.

The team lost the best RB and WR at the peaks of their careers and they keep reloading.

This extension will allow us to truly evaluate Coach Canada and his game planning.

I'm celebrating this signing and I will continue to laugh at the haters...
They didn't run out of gas. They were absolutely outcoached the last 1/4 of the season because they kept running the same lame-duck offense that allowed defenses to utterly shut down the run game and tee off on the inevitable 3 yard slant pass. The fact that Tomlin acknowledged that other teams were keying on what the offense was doing and STILL insisted that the Steelers would "impose their will" on other professional defenses simply demonstrates his inability to adapt to the league.

Yes. They won 11 straight games. And peaked around week 5. After that, they ran out the SAME game plan for the next 11 weeks and found themselves SHOCKED that they were consistently declining in output.

Minkah Fitzpatrick improved the takeaways single-handedly his first season. That wasn't brilliant coaching. In fact it is well documented that once Tomlin and Butler began screwing up Fitzpatrick's play by imposing their moronic defensive philosophy upon him, his production dropped markedly.

I won't deny I was pleased at the increase in sacks. Very happy with that. However, is there any solution when offenses begin throwing mid level slants to their fastest wideout over a linebacker?

I felt that Rudolph wasn't terrible and that he could definitely put together some wins. The coaching staff immediately began working diligently on how to make him as terrible a passer as possible by relying almost entirely on 3 yard routes. Going in, I fully expected at least 8 wins. Was shocked that they didn't do better in the end.

Bell has been useless since he left Pittsburgh. Personally I give that credit more to the O-line coach that actually seemed to give a **** if his players were prepared and knew how to execute their assignments, but in fairness, that coach fell under Tomlin, so it was nice that he was here. The team lost AB because Tomlin so tremendously mismanaged him that a complete ***-hat monster was created that poisoned the entire team.

Given the fact that North Montana was an internal hire, I have zero hope that he'll be worth a ****. More of the same, with more motion.

Certainly feel free to celebrate stability and status quo. However, you can't honestly say that you have any faith whatsoever that Tomlin can coach the team in the playoffs. If he's demonstrated anything over his career, it's that he's incapable of coaching in the playoffs.

Last edited:

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like at the NFL level, the head coach accounts for a fairly small percentage of why a team wins or loses.
The Browns agree...

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Cowher and Andy Reid had championship success late in their tenure with teams that had chronically come up a little short.
ya... But they could coach.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
As for the coach only accounting for 10% of your teams success or failure, in my opinion, if you believe that you have no actual grounds to KEEP Tomlin since he's such a minuscule part of the puzzle. Clearly the team is falling short and it seems you can put just about ANYBODY at the head coach position and they're only worth around 10% of your situation. So why stay with an unimportant coach who clearly leads a failing team?

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, at least the next head coach should get a high draft pick. The problem is the owner, not the coach, and ultimately the fans who put up with mediocrity season after season.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Okay.

Okay fair enough, maybe 10% is a big part of wins and losses as opposed to 90%. But you'll have to explain to me why the board is inundated with bitching about Tomlin's 10% share of the blame when at the same time, the players' 90% responsibility is scarcely even mentioned by comparison. That seems nonsensical to me. Every loss it's Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin with some isolated bitching about players here and there. Seems a little bit obsessive and delusional.

diver

Reaction score
They didn't run out of gas. They were absolutely outcoached the last 1/4 of the season because they kept running the same lame-duck offense that allowed defenses to utterly shut down the run game and tee off on the inevitable 3 yard slant pass. The fact that Tomlin acknowledged that other teams were keying on what the offense was doing and STILL insisted that the Steelers would "impose their will" on other professional defenses simply demonstrates his inability to adapt to the league.

Yes. They won 11 straight games. And peaked around week 5. After that, they ran out the SAME game plan for the next 11 weeks and found themselves SHOCKED that they were consistently declining in output.

Minkah Fitzpatrick improved the takeaways single-handedly his first season. That wasn't brilliant coaching. In fact it is well documented that once Tomlin and Butler began screwing up Fitzpatrick's play by imposing their moronic defensive philosophy upon him, his production dropped markedly.

I won't deny I was pleased at the increase in sacks. Very happy with that. However, is there any solution when offenses begin throwing mid level slants to their fastest wideout over a linebacker?

I felt that Rudolph wasn't terrible and that he could definitely put together some wins. The coaching staff immediately began working diligently on how to make him as terrible a passer as possible by relying almost entirely on 3 yard routes. Going in, I fully expected at least 8 wins. Was shocked that they didn't do better in the end.

Bell has been useless since he left Pittsburgh. Personally I give that credit more to the O-line coach that actually seemed to give a **** if his players were prepared and knew how to execute their assignments, but in fairness, that coach fell under Tomlin, so it was nice that he was here. The team lost AB because Tomlin so tremendously mismanaged him that a complete ***-hat monster was created that poisoned the entire team.

Given the fact that North Montana was an internal hire, I have zero hope that he'll be worth a ****. More of the same, with more motion.

Certainly feel free to celebrate stability and status quo. However, you can't honestly say that you have any faith whatsoever that Tomlin can coach the team in the playoffs. If he's demonstrated anything over his career, it's that he's incapable of coaching in the playoffs.
Look, I agree with a lot of what you say, but that is absolute, 100% bullshit. Tomlin kept him together and performing is much closer to the truth. Without Tomlin that guy melts down much, much earlier. You lose credibility when you say stupid stuff.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Okay fair enough, maybe 10% is a big part of wins and losses as opposed to 90%. But you'll have to explain to me why the board is inundated with bitching about Tomlin's 10% share of the blame when at the same time, the players' 90% responsibility is scarcely even mentioned by comparison.

You apparently have never read a game-day thread. Or many threads on this forum.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Look, I agree with a lot of what you say, but that is absolute, 100% bullshit. Tomlin kept him together and performing is much closer to the truth. Without Tomlin that guy melts down much, much earlier. You lose credibility when you say stupid stuff.
Ryan Clark is on record as saying that AB had that type of personality from the moment he walked through the doors. And that he knew as soon as AB got the second contract, his character would only get worse. I mean, I trust Clark's opinion as someone who was seeing the guy every day more than those who blame AB's bullshit on Tomlin or Ben.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Non-losing seasons and a first-round playoff loss every year.
The standard is the standard, *******.
With the possible exception of Sean Payton, no one has done less with more.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like at the NFL level, the head coach accounts for a fairly small percentage of why a team wins or loses. Players account for about 90% in my opinion. That's why I get such a kick out of the Tomlin induced Armageddons we see here so often. It amuses me to no end.

And yes I think Tomlin will have his first losing season after Ben goes unless they luck into another great QB right away. Hence the fact that players account overwhelming amount of wins and losses. If you have any doubt take a look of Chuck Noll's early tenure before multiple HOF players and a Franchise QB came aboard. Look at his late tenure once said HOF'ers retired.
Noll didn't have anywhere near the talent in the '80s compared to what Tomlin had in the '10s. So in your opinion, the Steelers have only had good enough players to win a postseason game in 2 out of the last 10 seasons? Nothing amusing about that.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm also tired of hearing those bullshit excuses about the lack of a bye week and the Thanksgiving game changes. The Steelers still had five days in between games before they played the Football Team, then six days before the Bills, and then eight days before the Bengals. When they had the most time to rest, at the half they were down 17 points to a **** team who was playing their third-string quarterback.

Last edited: