• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Sign Tomlin to Three-Year Extension

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Many of the forums or Tomlin nut-hugger groups can't grasp that the majority of fans just aren't that into him anymore.

Sounds like you've found a new favorite sport!
It's fun. Especially when they call me a racist and and who would you replace him with and I say Eric Bieniemy or Duce Staley*.
Just an observation that most of the MT nut-huggers are black and will never say a discouraging word. Same people are positive that Josh Dobbs is a sure-fire Hall of Famer if they'd just put him in.
Just sayin'.

* Yeah, we used to joke about the Duce Staley Memorial Sweatpants but the guy has become a very good assistant coach.

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
It's fun. Especially when they call me a racist and and who would you replace him with and I say Eric Bieniemy or Duce Staley*.
Just an observation that most of the MT nut-huggers are black and will never say a discouraging word. Same people are positive that Josh Dobbs is a sure-fire Hall of Famer if they'd just put him in.
Just sayin'.

* Yeah, we used to joke about the Duce Staley Memorial Sweatpants but the guy has become a very good assistant coach.
LOL that's hilarious! Yes, I don't get the big love affair with Dobbs at all.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I’m no MT apologist and am ready for change myself BUT

Last season was far exceeding the expectations of likely all
but the most optimistic 1% of Steelers fans until crucial pieces Bush, Dupree and then even the depth Spillane kept dropping right before the surprisingly 11-0 MT Steelers had a coach forget how to coach

Strange coincidence

But damn like Coryea posted, would an adjustment here or there kill ya MIke, maybe try to mask the glaring LB problem?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Last season was a fail regardless of how it played out.CMVLT had all his ducks in a row. He had all the starters / depth / coaches that he wanted and I expected an appearance in the AFCCG other wise a season failure. Cut him a break all you want but nothing changed, play off and loss (humiliating loss) showing some of his inadequecies.

Injury sidelined players---------- scheme never changed

ILB covering #1 WR---------------scheme never changed

last in rushing------------------------scheme never changed

Multitude of others----------------scheme never changed

seems like a trend to me. I realize SBWCMVLT will be here for awhile but also realize we will get much of the same. I don't anticipate a high step up in coaching flare other than to see what CANADA brings. I'm feared there will be a Coach Tomlin hand in that aspect and see Canada being held back to a degree.

I will always hope and pray for improvement and truly support my beloved STEELERS but will also speak up on mediocracy, the standard is the standard.

Salute the nation

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
Last season was a fail regardless of how it played out.CMVLT had all his ducks in a row. He had all the starters / depth / coaches that he wanted and I expected an appearance in the AFCCG other wise a season failure. Cut him a break all you want but nothing changed, play off and loss (humiliating loss) showing some of his inadequecies.

Injury sidelined players---------- scheme never changed

ILB covering #1 WR---------------scheme never changed

Multitude of others----------------scheme never changed

seems like a trend to me. I realize SBWCMVLT will be here for awhile but also realize we will get much of the same. I don't anticipate a high step up in coaching flare other than to see what CANADA brings. I'm feared there will be a Coach Tomlin hand in that aspect and see Canada being held back to a degree.

I will always hope and pray for improvement and truly support my beloved STEELERS but will also speak up on mediocracy, the standard is the standard.

Salute the nation
"We functioned the way we normally function."

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
"We functioned the way we normally function."

Buttered or plain ?

sometimes I wonder if that is the biggest question durring game planning.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

How many seasons have we heard Rooney talking about needing to improve the ground game. It’s a broken record and it’s to the point where it’s the coaching philosophy more than anything. For three straight years our ground game has stunk and for two of they the team deemphasized this area. You need the talent but you also need the commitment and the practice to be good on the ground. The Steelers continually get preoccupied with throwing the ball 50 times a game and limit themselves.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Always passes the blame to the players with his, "we just need to execute better" bullshit.

The Buffalo game this season sums up Tomlin as a coach. 2 point game at halftime, McDermott tells the sideline reporter, "we have alot of adjustments to make". Tomlin tells the reporter, "we just need to execute better" Well guess what, Buffalo actually made adjustments, and the found a way to get Diggs open all over the field, including on our speedy ILB.
Not got nothing, but what about adjusting vs. Houston Texans and Ravens in 2nd last year?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I had too many vodka tonics when I responded,
One of the few things I have never tried adding tonic water. What does that do for it? Water it down?

Stewey

Reaction score
One of the few things I have never tried adding tonic water. What does that do for it? Water it down?
Yes, the same way a screwdriver (vodka and orange juice} does. Tonic water is a little sweet , vodka and tonic is usually served with a slice of lime.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

DUDE................................ it puts the "TONIC" in Vodka Tonic.......................... (j/k)

Salute the nation

diver

Reaction score
How many seasons have we heard Rooney talking about needing to improve the ground game. It’s a broken record and it’s to the point where it’s the coaching philosophy more than anything. For three straight years our ground game has stunk and for two of they the team deemphasized this area. You need the talent but you also need the commitment and the practice to be good on the ground. The Steelers continually get preoccupied with throwing the ball 50 times a game and limit themselves.
Any of that the QB's responsibility?

Look, I am tired of Tomlin. I wish he would be shown the door and take the QB with him.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Noll's biggest mistake of the 80's was not drafting Marino. He also had some notable misses in the draft; Malone, Abercrombie, Worley, Sims, Rienstra. Throw in a bit of horribly bad luck with Rivera and you have a talent deficiency. Bad personnel decision making brought down the 80's Steelers. Was that all Noll? Nope, but he was part of the process I'm sure.

That said, 2 playoff wins in 10 years is atrocious for this franchise and the talent they had. I'm not even that upset about the lack of Super Bowls. Nobody from the AFC was going to consistently get to the 'Chip, let alone win it, as long as the NFL was letting N.E. cheat their way through.
Can't argue with that. Dan Marino was probably the #1 NFL player (outside of the Steelers, of course) whom I enjoyed watching play. It still hurts when I think about what could have been had they drafted him.

And just to clarify, Tomlin has a total of 3 playoff wins in 10 years. But 2 of those came in the same season (2016), and the single win was in 2015 -- so in the last 10 seasons, he's produced at least 1 playoff victory only twice, and has 0 postseason wins in the other 8 years. It really is pretty hard to believe when you think about it, as good as the Steelers have been over the past decade.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
He'll likely finish with 3 playoff wins his final 13 seasons. Basically mirroring Chuck Noll's last 13.

Unfortunately, Tomlin didn't also mirror Noll's first 11 seasons, when the Steelers won 4 Super Bowls instead of 1.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Truth. Just saying Noll did comparatively more with less over his last 13 years if Tomlin gets "the under" over the next 3 years and I'm definitely taking the under.
Especially since 1979 was Noll's 11th season of 23 -- that adds 3 more wins to his total over his last 13 years. ;)

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
Can't argue with that. Dan Marino was probably the #1 NFL player (outside of the Steelers, of course) whom I enjoyed watching play. It still hurts when I think about what could have been had they drafted him.

And just to clarify, Tomlin has a total of 3 playoff wins in 10 years. But 2 of those came in the same season (2016), and the single win was in 2015 -- so in the last 10 seasons, he's produced at least 1 playoff victory only twice, and has 0 postseason wins in the other 8 years. It really is pretty hard to believe when you think about it, as good as the Steelers have been over the past decade.
And he has only won a playoff game(s) in 4 out of 14 seasons. Simply put, he hasn't won enough and is living off 2 seasons that were 11 and 13 years ago with Cowher's Core.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
I feel like at the NFL level, the head coach accounts for a fairly small percentage of why a team wins or loses. Players account for about 90% in my opinion. That's why I get such a kick out of the Tomlin induced Armageddons we see here so often. It amuses me to no end.

And yes I think Tomlin will have his first losing season after Ben goes unless they luck into another great QB right away. Hence the fact that players account overwhelming amount of wins and losses. If you have any doubt take a look of Chuck Noll's early tenure before multiple HOF players and a Franchise QB came aboard. Look at his late tenure once said HOF'ers retired.
Before I did the draft series, I would agree that the players accounted for 90%.

We consider that the Steelers have gone periods of 4-seasons, 3-seasons, 2-seasons in a row maximum without making the playoffs since Chuck Noll’s arrival.

Outside of the first four years under Noll, when the team was originally being built, each time the team has had a “prolonged” playoff drought (1985-1989) and (1998-2000) - The head coach and coaching staff were at odds with the player personnel staff and scouting staff.

I would argue that under Tomlin/Colbert, they actually rebuilt the team too fast. Yes they were fortunate to have Ben Roethlisberger in his prime, but when the veteran core of 2011 began to age/retire, they were winning the AFC North 2 years later.

One could argue they were a dangerous team in 2013 that nobody wanted to face in playoffs. And there was just enough holdover with veterans like Troy Polamalu that if Antonio Brown’s foot didn’t Nick the sideline against Miami they could’ve made a dangerous run in the playoffs that year.

The highest draft pick the Steelers of had in the decade of the 2010s was 14 - used on Ryan Shazier (and he was becoming a playmaking force before his injury). They never got a chance to get the blue chip DBs because they just kept winning. They became victims of their own success.

In hindsight, I guarantee you that Colbert wishes that he was a little bit more aggressive in acquiring some players or higher draft picks. This is really evidenced by the trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick & trade up for Devin Bush. The acquisition of Justin Gilbert (who they loved in 2014 but went 8th overall) & same with Joe Haden (who went 7th overall) I would say points to the recognition that in order to field the all around team they needed—they needed to get higher picks - in particular on the defensive side.

This is something that the Baltimore Ravens have done well. Trading back into the first round to get Lamar Jackson, up to get JK Dobbins and again this year to get another first round pick + multiple players for a OT they know they won’t resign. Add in The trade for Marcus Peters and the low enough pick to get Marlon Humphrey.

They have been active—but they’ve also had bad seasons in there (5-11 in 2015) and 3 straight 3rd place finishes after their Super Bowl win in 2012.

Granted Steelers have been better than Ravens since that SB win, but Steelers had “Killer Bs” - the Ravens were aggressively always trying to get better and we were more passive.

Overall, since 2012 the Ravens been 75-53 with only 2 playoff wins in 4 playoff appearances & 2 AFC North Championships.

In the same time since 2012, the Steelers have been 82-45-1, with 3 playoff wins in 5 playoff appearances & 4 AFC North Championships.

Last edited:

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
The Steelers lack of success in playoffs has also been impacted by not being healthy for playoffs and lack of running game.
And 2 of the losses - 2020/2017 are 100% squarely on Tomlin.

Injuries impacted—especially at LB
The last 2 playoffs—the defense melted down (45 points and 68 points) and Ben was forced to throw 58x & 68x for 469 yards/501 yards with 9 TDs and 5 INTs.
Teams don’t often lose playoff games scoring 42 points and 37 points respectively.

But as I’ve said for years—Ben can stat it up, but Steelers are at their best when he’s under 300 yards and we have a RB getting 100+ yards. We had 83 & 54 yards rushing in those same playoff games.

3 Playoff Losses since 2014:
2016 AFCCG Ben had 314 yards. Team rushed for 57 (Bell’s injury limited him to 20 yards).
2015 AFC Div Ben had 339 yards. Team rushing for 84 (down to 3rd string RB).
2014 Wild Card Ben had 334 yards. Team rushing was 68 yards. (Bell hurt in season finale).

3 Playoff wins since 2014:
2015 Wild Card: Team rushing 167 yards with Ben at 229 yards.
2016 with Bell healthy: back-to-back games of 167 yards & 170 yards rushing by Bell (setting & resetting Steelers post season records)
2016 Ben’s total passing yards in the wins - (198/224) yards respectively.

We’ve had more bad luck than good luck in 2010s playoffs. But some of it was preventable—not wearing out our starting RB multiple years, don’t cut a valuable backup RB that goes right to Patriots, don’t overlook teams, when you finish 31,29,32 in rushing 3 straight years you do something to fix it the 1st time.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
And he has only won a playoff game(s) in 4 out of 14 seasons. Simply put, he hasn't won enough and is living off 2 seasons that were 11 and 13 years ago with Cowher's Core.
One of the things that I get irritated by is “Cowher’s core” nonsense.

If it were so easy, Jim Caldwell, Mike Martz, Ray Rhodes/Mike Sherman should have just waltzed into multiple Super Bowl wins.

Except they didn’t and the teams dropped from their peaks fast after Dungy, Vermeil, and Holmgren left.

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
One of the things that I get irritated by is “Cowher’s core” nonsense.

If it were so easy, Jim Caldwell, Mike Martz, Ray Rhodes/Mike Sherman should have just waltzed into multiple Super Bowl wins.

Except they didn’t and the teams dropped from their peaks fast after Dungy, Vermeil, and Holmgren left.
Well, we can certainly look at it from more of the hard science view and dispassionately say that Tomlin was not able to maintain the kinetic energy from the nucleus of his predecessor. The kinetic energy came to a slow at the Tebowing as far as winning playoff games.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers lack of success in playoffs has also been impacted by not being healthy for playoffs and lack of running game.
And 2 of the losses - 2020/2017 are 100% squarely on Tomlin.

Injuries impacted—especially at LB
The last 2 playoffs—the defense melted down (45 points and 68 points) and Ben was forced to throw 58x & 68x for 469 yards/501 yards with 9 TDs and 5 INTs.
Teams don’t often lose playoff games scoring 42 points and 37 points respectively.

But as I’ve said for years—Ben can stat it up, but Steelers are at their best when he’s under 300 yards and we have a RB getting 100+ yards. We had 83 & 54 yards rushing in those same playoff games.

3 Playoff Losses since 2014:
2016 AFCCG Ben had 314 yards. Team rushed for 57 (Bell’s injury limited him to 20 yards).
2015 AFC Div Ben had 339 yards. Team rushing for 84 (down to 3rd string RB).
2014 Wild Card Ben had 334 yards. Team rushing was 68 yards. (Bell hurt in season finale).

3 Playoff wins since 2014:
2015 Wild Card: Team rushing 167 yards with Ben at 229 yards.
2016 with Bell healthy: back-to-back games of 167 yards & 170 yards rushing by Bell (setting & resetting Steelers post season records)
2016 Ben’s total passing yards in the wins - (198/224) yards respectively.

We’ve had more bad luck than good luck in 2010s playoffs. But some of it was preventable—not wearing out our starting RB multiple years, don’t cut a valuable backup RB that goes right to Patriots, don’t overlook teams, when you finish 31,29,32 in rushing 3 straight years you do something to fix it the 1st time.

In those 2016 playoff games, the two where BELL set rushing records were easily in hand yet tomlin kept him in the game. Those two high carries games are what set injury to BELL causing his sidelined *** to not contribute in the AFCCG. COACHING 101

Salute the nation