• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Sign Tomlin to Three-Year Extension

Steelmann

Reaction score
You know..... I worked a long hard day today. Just got home. Put dinner in the oven, put my feet up, pulled up the old forum. And this is the Bull **** I find on here today. I just don’t get it. Why couldn’t it have been a prove it year?

I have nothing against him personally, but I am done with him as our coach. I was done with him after the Tebow thrashing. I just don’t get it.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like at the NFL level, the head coach accounts for a fairly small percentage of why a team wins or loses. Players account for about 90% in my opinion. That's why I get such a kick out of the Tomlin induced Armageddons we see here so often. It amuses me to no end.

And yes I think Tomlin will have his first losing season after Ben goes unless they luck into another great QB right away. Hence the fact that players account overwhelming amount of wins and losses. If you have any doubt take a look of Chuck Noll's early tenure before multiple HOF players and a Franchise QB came aboard. Look at his late tenure once said HOF'ers retired.
Or Belicheat in Cleveland versus Belicheat with Ernie and Brady. Take away Brady, lose some decent players to FA and have some of their best players opt out and last season is what you get.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Interesting he received a three-year extension when the normal deal is two years. I think the team knows they could be in for some tough years and want to make sure Tomlin has security moving forward. We also know that Steelers don't fire coaches anymore and just let their contracts run out, so Tomlin is locked in for the entire deal. Safest job in all of professional sports.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Sigh. It is what it is.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
When people use the term hater I want to be clear. I do not hate Mike Tomlin. I'd sit down for a beer with that dude any day. I think he is an engaging smart man and I'd love to hear his stories. I hate what the team has become. I hate to know that the year will end with disappointment before it starts. I hate that as soon as you see a problem on the team it cannot be fixed. I hate the we are what we are mentality. I think he has a very limited schematic mind. But I do not hate Mike Tomlin the man. It's just really ****** time to move on for both parties.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
I hate to know that the year will end with disappointment before it starts.
hope-is-a-dangerous-thing-hope-can-drive-a-man-20330073.png

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Probably not with the SB. But, that kinda goes hand and hand with the decline and loss of a franchise QB. As I expect would be a first losing season. Kinda low hanging fruit there.
Either way, I'm just enjoying the tears for the moment. Whatever the future holds is what it holds. I'm expecting nothing less than an 80's style walk through the wasteland. Anything better before we rise up again is fantastic.
I don't think fans are in tears. I see more just disappointed. They were hoping for change. For me it is odd any fan can be truly happy with the end results he trots out yearly. Make no mistake about it that is why the sport exists to achieve the ultimate goal every year. It might be more tolerable if he could even sniff that ultimate goal. I personally don't want memorable regular seasons. I want memorable playoffs. Not being embarrassed by a cleveland team that head coach wasn't even on the sidelines. I also think just because a few fans might be just happy with winning seasons they shouldn't be ridiculing fans who want more than that. These are your sports brothers. Maybe instead of fans laughing at fans disappointments fans can take a second to understand why they feel as they do.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It’s all about hope for some

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
2017-one and done in the playoffs
2018-ended the season 2-4 after a 7-2-1 start and missed the playoffs
2019-ended season 0-3 after 8-5 start and missed the playoffs.
2020-ended the season 1-4 after an 11-0 start was one and done in the playoffs, being out coached by a team without its coach

Also, the Steelers have allowed their opponent to score 36+ points in three consecutive playoff games.

Yeah, all that just screams "extension". Complete ******* joke.
Yeah,but no losing seasons. He certainly has lots of fan boys who admire being mediocre and getting your *** handed to you on a yearly basis. He has yet to build a championship team of his own. What was given to him is no longer. Just facts.

Each year I hope things change in structure and approach. Each year I am disappointed that it doesn't.

They sustain being good for only short periods of time. They're almost never good against teams they should beat handily. They routinely are stale by seasons end. It's as if they have a season game plan installed early in the year and they never deviate from it no matter what.

Other teams know they're not going to get many surprises at all. So as the season goes on and you have more game film on them, they become easier to defeat by scheme. The Steelers never counter. They'll live and die by whatever plan they have for the day.

Which in the end is a fireball of failure repeated year in and out. This hasn't been some overnight trend. It's been going on for a long long time.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I feel like at the NFL level, the head coach accounts for a fairly small percentage of why a team wins or loses. Players account for about 90% in my opinion. That's why I get such a kick out of the Tomlin induced Armageddons we see here so often. It amuses me to no end.

And yes I think Tomlin will have his first losing season after Ben goes unless they luck into another great QB right away. Hence the fact that players account overwhelming amount of wins and losses. If you have any doubt take a look of Chuck Noll's early tenure before multiple HOF players and a Franchise QB came aboard. Look at his late tenure once said HOF'ers retired.
That's probably not real far off to be honest, but how do you explain the Buffalo game. The coach of the team winning at halftime (McDermott) talks about how many adjustments they need to make at halftime, while Tomlin, the coach that is losing says we just need to execute better and they don't need to make any adjustments. Buffalo came out with a totally different approach in the 2nd half and won the game.

How about the Washington game, we were up 14-3 at halftime, Washington came out and totally changed it up targeting their RB and TE, who combined for 19 catches on like 20 targets for 170 yards, we did nothing in either game to counter that.

Should we talk about the Browns playoff debacle? We just played that team, they were missing starters and coaches, couldn't hold team meetings, and yet they still made several adjustments. They ran away from Watt early, used quick passes to negate our pass rush, which the week before without Watt and Heyward pressured Mayfield a decent amount. They used their #1 WR on Spillane often, but this is a common thing under Tomlin. Spillane who just came off IR and wasn't in game shape was still trying to cover their #1. Every offensive TD Cleveland scored was vs a 2 DL front. Cleveland is a traditional running team, they used RB's and just run at you, why in the hell are we using so much 2 DL fronts vs them?

Coaches are supposed to put the players in the best position to succeed, and make in game adjustments.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin is what he is. Average. I think with this likely being Ben's last year, they chose stability at the HC position. They KNOW what they have in Tomlin, and they hope that he can guide the ship through the disaster that is likely going to be the QB position for years to come. I have no expectations of a SB run, and expect to finish 3rd in the division this year.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I have literally waited all day to come home and read this thread after I heard the news LOL. I knew it was going to be absolute gold.

So what you are saying is.............. this thread is the "GOLD" standard

Salute the nation

skline00

Reaction score
With the upcoming 17 game schedule, no center, weak RBs and a deteriorating O line, extending Coach Tomlin for three years now seems the safe bet.

Sad that Big Ben will likely play his last year on a team that will struggle to have a winning season.

That's not pessimism, just reality.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Many here including myself wanted change. That change isn't happening for at least 3 years and then we will see. Because we wanted change doesn't mean we HATE CMVLT. We want what is best for our beloved STEELERS and many of us can see the consistant inadaquacies of Coach Tomlin VS the high end talent we have on the team. I've said it many times...................He has acheived the least with arguably the most talented team in the NFL over the last 10 years.

Don't ostricize anyone wanting change from the average Mike Tomlin. Cleveland is an example of average or less and we lost hands down to them due to Mike's average football ability as a HC.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
PS Coryea has a great post about 1/2 time adjustments, hell in game adjustments and just adjustments in general........ they don't happen.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The 10 percent coaching idea is misleading. Many matchups in the NFL are lopsided. It's the 50-50 type games where that 10 percent coaching is massive. It's the instinctive play calling or the well timed aggressive defensive call that makes the difference. It's the ability to adjust to what the oppent is doing with something they cannot handle. Being a bit of an amoeba. So was Mike Tomlin responsible for the fumbles and miscues that started that playoff game. No. But he sure as **** is responsible for the structure of defense they played that gave them no chance to get back in it once the bleeding stopped. And to me the big piece is the assistants and coordinators. His have been horrible to terrible. This bears out with the fact that despite a .600 plus record no one wants your coaches. No one wants the Coordinators for HC and no one wants the position coaches for Coordinator.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think fans are in tears. I see more just disappointed. They were hoping for change. For me it is odd any fan can be truly happy with the end results he trots out yearly. Make no mistake about it that is why the sport exists to achieve the ultimate goal every year. It might be more tolerable if he could even sniff that ultimate goal. I personally don't want memorable regular seasons. I want memorable playoffs. Not being embarrassed by a cleveland team that head coach wasn't even on the sidelines. I also think just because a few fans might be just happy with winning seasons they shouldn't be ridiculing fans who want more than that. These are your sports brothers. Maybe instead of fans laughing at fans disappointments fans can take a second to understand why they feel as they do.
I think he meant that he is enjoying his own tears, like laughing and crying the absurdity of the contract?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think he meant that he is enjoying his own tears, like laughing and crying the absurdity of the contract?
Oh if this be the case I'll go with the late great Roseanne Roseannadanna.... neverminddddd.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
OH, believe me, I understand their pain. And on some levels I can agree with their reasoning. And, it's not those "reasonable" fans that I'm somewhat happy to see disappointed. It's the ones who trot on here dang near every day pushing their agenda endlessly. The ones who almost gleefully watch an end of season collapse, a bad Pouncey snap, INTs by the franchise QB and loudly proclaim that it's all Tomlin's fault and THIS will be the end of him. You know how it is. Those guys? Yeah, I'll admit, I'm somewhat happy to see them disappointed.

As for Tomlin. Heck, I myself wouldn't have given him a 3 year extension. Two seemed about right. But, they've obviously decided that they want him to be the coach during the rebuild. And, my gut feeling is that if they get a half-way decent QB, or even a Franchise type, you'll see Tomlin prowling the sidelines, with eyes wide open for as long as he wants to be here.

Would a new voice make a difference? Who knows. Sometimes change for the sake of change is good. Sometimes it bites ya in the ***.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Cowher and Andy Reid had championship success late in their tenure with teams that had chronically come up a little short. I'm not using the word impossible. But in my experience with coaches that just come up short it just drags on and you are delaying the inevitable and your the same distance away from Championship success three years from now.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Well what is done is done... bring is tge SB mikey or risk being the first Steelers HC fired since tge 60’s

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you agree that we can't expect deep playoff runs and SB rings?:Because Berm nothing supports that line of thinking as evidenced by long term mediocre results. The Tomlin supporters seem to be happy with participation trophies. Agree or disagree?
One cannot successfully answer this question as it is all speculative...

Who knew we'd win 11 games straight last year? NO ONE.

Who knew that our bye week (week 7) would get moved to week 4 and we never got to rest during it? NO ONE.

Who knew that the game against the Ravens (on Thanksgiving) would be rescheduled 3 times and, again, not give the team a chance to rejuvenate? NO ONE.

We made to the playoffs after winning the AFCN - and got our collective ***** handed to us by the bottom feeders of our division. How can anyone classify last season as mediocre? I doesn't make sense.

So, supporter or not, I don't agree...