• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Complete Big Trade With Panthers Sending CB Diontae Johnson For CB Donte Jackson

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
DJ may have an attitude but he ran great routes and got open and caught more balls than most gave him credit for (every WR drops balls, even the great ones). GP is the one with the attitude that could easily turn cancerous to a team. Hopefully, he is a lot more mature in year 3 because he is now the veteran WR on the team. We have to sign 2 WR's on the cheap and still draft one in rounds 1 or 2. He must be an instant starter.
Yes--I like Thomas out of LSU myself.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know what to think. I understand this from the standpoint that he has been a problem in the locker room, and the quitting on plays thing, but maybe they should have tried it this year to see what it was like with a competent OC and QB? If the Offense clicks, Dionte and Pickens might have been pretty dynamic but now they just opened themselves up to needing a WR. And Pickens is not there yet as a #1 WR.

What are they going to do, go after a WR in the draft now? They have many other needs before they should be worrying about a WR IMO.
Seemed like the word "cancer" has popped up lately on this board...
And in this instance... ...I agree with it.....no so much in the other context though..

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Hunter Renfrow expected to be released by Raiders today.
I'm not sure what happened to renfrow. He was pretty good for several years then just feel off the face of the earth. I probably wouldnt pull the trigger on that one

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Current Steelers WR Roster.

Calvin Austin
Miles Boykin
Marquez Callaway
Dez Fitzpatrick
Keilhan Harris R
Denzel Mims
George PIckins
Deuce Watts R

Is there an answer on our current roster that we forgot about?
Cause i personally dont think so.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Is Russ still mobile? If Kenny’s ankle is healthy I would say they are about equal. Russ is not as fast as he used to be and he is still short.
As much as I didn't like the Russ signing and would've even preferred mid-Kenny for another season I would have to say Russ is definitely more mobile, or at least more effective in how he uses his mobility, than Kenny...unless Russ just completely lost it ALL this offseason. Russ has better pocket awareness and the ability to scramble to safety or the EZ rather than fleeing a clean pocket into a concussion as Kenny does.

I can't argue with the many here that support the Russ signing that Russ is a proven commodity that definitely outperformed Kenny last year and as long as he comes in hungry and humble rather than the douche nozzle he has been at his last two spots that he will likely smoke Kenny in a fair competition...and at least he is cheap.

The thing with Kenny is everyone's arguments for him are always predicated by IFs
A franchise QB or even true starting material QB doesn't require every IF in the book to be successful, they elevate other teammates despite less-than-ideal situations
As much as I personally see Russ and his past to suggest he's cancerous to a team, he does appear to be quite the upgrade on the field from what Kenny has shown...and at least he's cheap

(in best Gene Wilder voice) you said he's cheap twice, yeah I really like that one

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
As much as I didn't like the Russ signing and would've even preferred mid-Kenny for another season I would have to say Russ is definitely more mobile, or at least more effective in how he uses his mobility, than Kenny...unless Russ just completely lost it ALL this offseason. Russ has better pocket awareness and the ability to scramble to safety or the EZ rather than fleeing a clean pocket into a concussion as Kenny does.

I can't argue with the many here that support the Russ signing that Russ is a proven commodity that definitely outperformed Kenny last year and as long as he comes in hungry and humble rather than the douche nozzle he has been at his last two spots that he will likely smoke Kenny in a fair competition...and at least he is cheap.

The thing with Kenny is everyone's arguments for him are always predicated by IFs
A franchise QB or even true starting material QB doesn't require every IF in the book to be successful, they elevate other teammates despite less-than-ideal situations
As much as I personally see Russ and his past to suggest he's cancerous to a team, he does appear to be quite the upgrade on the field from what Kenny has shown...and at least he's cheap

(in best Gene Wilder voice) you said he's cheap twice, yeah I really like that one
I would say that Kenny's record of wins and losses says he does possess some of what you want regardless how ugly it was. There were a whole lot of ifs about Terry until there weren't. Russ isn't going to get better he will just age. Kenny should get better and did. That isn't an if. He improved right away without Matt. Now he has to show that he can sustain that and score more points. We also have to see if Russ can do that for us. Both are if's. Hopefully we get a real competition to push them both.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Several doubts here

Why not straight sign a FA CB like Murphy Bunton? he got 8M avg in a 3 year contract. Maybe they tried and couldn't close it? It takes two to tango but there were several options available.
If this happened you could've then traded DJ for a 4th at least, this assuming he did wanted out. Else better keep him and get a comp next season.

Do they see Jackson as a long term solution for CB2? This trade should make a lot more sense if so.

Another question, do they have a FA WR lined up to sign ? This would make it easier to let go DJ

Last edited:

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Seemed like the word "cancer" has popped up lately on this board...
And in this instance... ...I agree with it.....no so much in the other context though..
Thats only cuz evrybody been talking about the douche nozzle Russ so much. We could've sought out a more expensive backup with good character, but we went for the cheap guy with a lot of taint, the cancerous dude
Cancerous is one of the best ways to describe his recent past
So yeah cancer has popped up a lot
We removed some cancer yesterday, likely to make room for the cancer we brought in
You can only have so much cancer before the cancer spreads so rapidly that it kills you

Did I mention cancer? bwahahaha

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I would say that Kenny's record of wins and losses says he does possess some of what you want regardless how ugly it was. There were a whole lot of ifs about Terry until there weren't. Russ isn't going to get better he will just age. Kenny should get better and did. That isn't an if. He improved right away without Matt. Now he has to show that he can sustain that and score more points. We also have to see if Russ can do that for us. Both are if's. Hopefully we get a real competition to push them both.
You just relaced an IF with a SHOULD
that is kinda funny
see what i mean? more hypotheticals

When he does something impressive in the league I'll give him some props like...
He does appear to be good-great in games late, so there's that
If he could just bottle that and put that together for say 12-16 quarters in a row we'd be talking about a legit starting caliber QB

Would love to see a legit fair competition as well, including whoever the 3rd day QB is as Russ and Kenny haven't done anything yet as Steelers to anoint them without a true and fair competition.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I only take issue with the assumption that Wilson means KP is done. I don’t think it means that at all. Not with a one year vet min deal. It simply means they did what they promised and brought in real competition and did so remarkably cheap. Hell he is cheap for a vet backup. Nothing in his contract precludes us from starting Kenny.
Possibly not finished but if I were him, I'd take up the advice a former Steelers player already said - to look for another opportunity. With Wilson on board, it is pretty much a given the Steelers won't pick up KP's 5th-year option at the end of this season. If Wilson leaves, KP could get another shot at starting and the Steelers could still try to sign him if he plays well after his 4th season but he also may want to test free agency since the Steelers "done him wrong". I am sure he is not happy right now and you can't blame him. We will have to wait and see how this plays out as Wilson could also get injured and KP could step in and play well to push the Steelers to pick up his 5th year option. And if Wilson plays well and we want to keep him around for 2 or 3 more years, I doubt KP would stick around as a backup. Again, the reason is the Steelers "done him wrong". We shall see. Right now, I'd say it is better than 50-50 he is gone after his rookie contract.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Thats only cuz evrybody been talking about the douche nozzle Russ so much. We could've sought out a more expensive backup with good character, but we went for the cheap guy with a lot of taint, the cancerous dude
Cancerous is one of the best ways to describe his recent past
So yeah cancer has popped up a lot
We removed some cancer yesterday, likely to make room for the cancer we brought in
You can only have so much cancer before the cancer spreads so rapidly that it kills you

Did I mention cancer? bwahahaha
Personally....I absolutely HATE using that word in any instances like this..
Hits too close to home for me.

But if you want to cavalierly throw it our there 8 times in one paragraph....you do you.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Just a word, and I will always do me
People say Russ way too much for me
Hits too close to home

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Still doesn’t change the Draft strategy. C/OT/DL then QB/WR

I'm not sure what happened to renfrow. He was pretty good for several years then just feel off the face of the earth. I probably wouldnt pull the trigger on that one
It's hard to say what happened to Renfro with that hot garbage of an O down in LV, I'd take a chance on him if he came cheap. But the great news is we don't have to use high picks on an ILB or CB now. And we could use a lower pick on QB now. That's a lot of relief. C and RT should complete the OL, a NT should boost run D and a mid tier draft on WR. And why did Austin get lost in the WR room? What happened to that guy?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Fittipaldo from PG essentially ripped off my position about the Steelers needing to draft a talent with character in an upper round instead of taking talent with issues later. He even cited McConkey but said second and I don't believe he falls to 2.20.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Current Steelers WR Roster.

Calvin Austin
Miles Boykin
Marquez Callaway
Dez Fitzpatrick
Keilhan Harris R
Denzel Mims
George PIckins
Deuce Watts R

Is there an answer on our current roster that we forgot about?
Cause i personally dont think so.
Denzel mims is the wildcard there.

A second round pick the same year we got Claypuff

6'3 runs a sub 4.4 40

the Jets changed head coaches and Salah immeadiately buried him on the depth chart

The lions traded a conditional sixth for him last year, and he balled out in their camp, but he got hurt, rushed back and ended up with an injury that he would miss most of the year with, so the Jets cut him to save their conditional pick.

As soon as he was healthy, we signed him to the PS

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Fittipaldo from PG essentially ripped off my position about the Steelers needing to draft a talent with character in an upper round instead of taking talent with issues later. He even cited McConkey but said second and I don't believe he falls to 2.20.

Meh most wrs are narcissistic asshats at heart. Drafting one high doesnt fix that. Plenty of first round guys were just as big selfish jackasses

If you want that fixed, you have to change the culture around the locker room. A rookie with high character is probably going to get dragged down rather than lift everyone else up...

I just dont think we have a strong enough staff to do that

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Denzel mims is the wildcard there.

A second round pick the same year we got Claypuff

6'3 runs a sub 4.4 40

the Jets changed head coaches and Salah immeadiately buried him on the depth chart

The lions traded a conditional sixth for him last year, and he balled out in their camp, but he got hurt, rushed back and ended up with an injury that he would miss most of the year with, so the Jets cut him to save their conditional pick.

As soon as he was healthy, we signed him to the PS
The Steelers did that with a few players last year near the end of the season. Hopefully, one of them turns out to be a steal.

MeanJim

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't think anyone has mentioned, since we seem to be suddenly making uncharacteristic moves, we might be thinking about a crazy trade up to get Marvin Harrison Jr.

Who's laughin' now, O-Line?

I'm kidding, of course, but with Tomlin's history of addressing the line....

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Whoever keeps calling players cancers:

Either provide the evidence to support your claim or STFU. And your opinion isn't evidence since that's all you're gonna have.
I wouldn't go as far to call DJ a locker room cancer, but isn't this the same guy who got into a fight during a game with Trubisky (or was that someone else?), got into it with Minkah this year, argued with a coach on the sidelines, basically publicly called out QB1 in his support for QB3, had terrible body language on the field, and numerous lack of effort plays including zero effort to recover a fumble?

DJ is talented, but has a loser mentality and isn't a guy who contributes to a championship culture. That is the biggest missing piece this team has had over the years IMO. It's the biggest difference between squeaking into the playoffs and losing opposed to winning one of those games.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Whoever keeps calling players cancers:

Either provide the evidence to support your claim or STFU. And your opinion isn't evidence since that's all you're gonna have.
Teams don’t sink boatloads of draft capital to acquire a player and then spend record millions of dollars to pay a healthy player just to leave.

Now if a player is an unhealthy asshat douche nozzle showing signs of causing caseation to a team that spent tons of draft capital to acquire said player and then spends millions of dollars just to get them to leave that player may just be…well, you can probably connect the dots