• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Complete Big Trade With Panthers Sending CB Diontae Johnson For CB Donte Jackson

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The new DJ is smallish (5'10", 182 lbs.), very quick. I think he played outside for Carolina but might be better inside as a slot guy.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
If McConkey, or any other 1st round WR, is there and one of the top CBs, C or OT is also there, I'd break my TV if they picked the WR.
You need players to throw it too. They have a ROTY candidate at corner in a lot of other years. The defense is about 2/3 pro bowl potential they have a stud at tackle and a guy with 3 years of starts. Serviceable will be good enough at centre. Their best wr is a two year player with an incomplete route tree. Everyone else is a nobody. So yes. Get a target at wr.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
You need players to throw it too. They have a ROTY candidate at corner in a lot of other years. The defense is about 2/3 pro bowl potential they have a stud at tackle and a guy with 3 years of starts. Serviceable will be good enough at centre. Their best wr is a two year player with an incomplete route tree. Everyone else is a nobody. So yes. Get a target at wr.
Yep. Get a WR. A veteran to address your point that their best wr is a two year player with an incomplete route tree. You're not fixing that by adding a rookie who projects as a slot receiver and, whose ability to compete at the NFL level is entirely unknown. Get a vet in FA and address WR in the second or 3rd. McConkey in round 2 would not be a bad pick. A lot of "experts' predict that's where he should fall in a deep WR draft anyway.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Still doesn’t change the Draft strategy. C/OT/DL then QB/WR

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This gives me hope. Props to the HC for doing things that need to be done.

no ****, Johnson can take his attitude with him. Hope to much hasn’t rubbed off on the others.

Salute the nation

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I can see them resigning Robinson now..

Also-- I would seriously consider Thomas Wr LSU with our number one... if we don't somehow get a really good viable option in free agency or a trade before the draft.

Hunter Renfro is available...not sure if can still be that guy?

Ridley is out there also....not sure if he is that guy to fill that void totally either?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Here is the thing. Wr2 is easier to replace than CB2...

The Steelers are typically going to carry 5 wrs on their roster... sometimes 5 and a KR type as well.. the fifth wr is always going to be a special teams ace. Probably Boykin again, but maybe Fitzpatrick..

They have a #1 in pickens. They have a guy in Austin that may or may not turn out to be something.
They also have Denzel mims, a 6'3 guy who runs a sub 4.4 40... he was a second round pick of the jets, started 15 games over 3 years for them,

The thing is, you dont need the 2 wr to be experienced or an all pro assuming Pickens stays healthy... you can get an average guy or even draft a guy and use him with limited routes..

You could add a second or third round wr and be good... CB on the other hand, is harder to replace, especially on a vet

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
I can see them resigning Robinson now..

Also-- I would seriously consider Thomas Wr LSU with our number one... if we don't somehow get a really good viable option in free agency or a trade before the draft.

Hunter Renfro is available...not sure if can still be that guy?

Ridley is out there also....not sure if he is that guy to fill that void totally either?
I wouldn’t mind brining AR2 back as the number 4 guy. Problem is when he was in, it telegraphed short pass or run. Hopefully Artie Smith would do a better job at disguising this tendency

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
I like the move. Jackson could be your slot package guy as well as hybrid CB/Safety to keep an eye on Lamar and go side to side with him when the Steelers are in nickel.

We still have the possibility of getting Cory Trice and Darius Rush into the mix if things in the secondary

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers already needed a WR. Now, they need 2 WR's capable of starting a game. We didn't really have a legit WR3 last year but we did have a WR1A and 1B. I guess you can say GP was WR1 but when you needed the first downs, DJ was almost always able to get open. He has played much better for the Steelers than given credit for. They will need to sign 2 WR's or go into the draft in desperate need of a starter. Even signing two reasonably priced WR's in FA, they still need to draft someone capable of playing opposite GP. We're talking a 1st or 2nd round pick, at worst, that they can get up to speed quickly. Some WR's can do it but most cannot. It takes them time to learn the playbook and then how to run routes in the NFL

I hope he has a good plan for this because they just brought in Wilson signaling that KP is done (unless an injury happens and KP comes in and plays well.) and now Willson has even fewer targets to throw to than when they signed him.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Is the CB we got any good?
Living down here in Panther territory I'm kinda shocked we traded for him.
He's a tad injury prone, a boundary guy with good straight-line speed that's decent covering deep routes. I think last year was the first in his career that he didn't miss at least 4-6 games.

All the talk is that he was going to be a cap casualty very soon and the team was seeking at least a 6th for him and most the local guys were praying they could get a 5th. Maybe the Steelers in desperate need of a starting CB opposite JPJ decided they didn't want to risk not getting him on the open market.

If their market value is correct we traded DJ and a 7th for a couple of 6ths or a 5th and 6th and just a touch of cap relief...they appear to have won they trade on surface value, but this does open up the Steelers to go BPA in the draft and not be super desperate for a CB. The draft being deep in WRs this is the type of move that opens up other moves for Khan. Would've guessed something like our DJ for their DJ and a 5th would've been fair value...so not too far off.

If I had to guess they weren't hearing anything too good in regards for our DJ's trade value and wanted to get something for him.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
DJ may have an attitude but he ran great routes and got open and caught more balls than most gave him credit for (every WR drops balls, even the great ones). GP is the one with the attitude that could easily turn cancerous to a team. Hopefully, he is a lot more mature in year 3 because he is now the veteran WR on the team. We have to sign 2 WR's on the cheap and still draft one in rounds 1 or 2. He must be an instant starter.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Is this CB Jackson CB2 or a slot coverage guy?
CB2 think he would struggle in the slot, definitely not his forte
He is 100 an edge/boundary corner
Good straight line speed and good at covering deep route with decent ball skills
Not the best tackler ever and usually misses 4-6 games a year, but i believe he got through last year healthy

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
With the WR room so depleted it concerns me that the team could go WR in RD 1- I remember a Tomlin quote years ago- about another school of thought - more offensive weapons can cover up OL deficiencies. Then I remember Ben getting killed. I remember taking Friermuth over Creed Humphrey.

Center absolutely must be addressed in Round 1
And now he has his mobile guy in Russ so who needs blocking?
Not Shades, weapons are an obvious substitute for OL!

Lad McConkey c'mon down, then Van Pran in the 2nd...we're putting the band, err back-to-back naty team together again...let's go Dawgs

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
With the WR room so depleted it concerns me that the team could go WR in RD 1- I remember a Tomlin quote years ago- about another school of thought - more offensive weapons can cover up OL deficiencies. Then I remember Ben getting killed. I remember taking Friermuth over Creed Humphrey.

Center absolutely must be addressed in Round 1
Negative. That's a recipe for disaster.
We shouldn't select a Center in Rd1 just because we need one.
IF there's a dominant center sitting there for us to take? Absolutely. Run to the podium.
But selecting a need rather than most talented available never ends well.
It's great when they line up, and I hope it does, but I don't want to pass up a stud just to fill a hole.

str8liner

Reaction score
I don't know what to think. I understand this from the standpoint that he has been a problem in the locker room, and the quitting on plays thing, but maybe they should have tried it this year to see what it was like with a competent OC and QB? If the Offense clicks, Dionte and Pickens might have been pretty dynamic but now they just opened themselves up to needing a WR. And Pickens is not there yet as a #1 WR.

What are they going to do, go after a WR in the draft now? They have many other needs before they should be worrying about a WR IMO.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers already needed a WR. Now, they need 2 WR's capable of starting a game. We didn't really have a legit WR3 last year but we did have a WR1A and 1B. I guess you can say GP was WR1 but when you needed the first downs, DJ was almost always able to get open. He has played much better for the Steelers than given credit for. They will need to sign 2 WR's or go into the draft in desperate need of a starter. Even signing two reasonably priced WR's in FA, they still need to draft someone capable of playing opposite GP. We're talking a 1st or 2nd round pick, at worst, that they can get up to speed quickly. Some WR's can do it but most cannot. It takes them time to learn the playbook and then how to run routes in the NFL

I hope he has a good plan for this because they just brought in Wilson signaling that KP is done (unless an injury happens and KP comes in and plays well.) and now Willson has even fewer targets to throw to than when they signed him.
I only take issue with the assumption that Wilson means KP is done. I don’t think it means that at all. Not with a one year vet min deal. It simply means they did what they promised and brought in real competition and did so remarkably cheap. Hell he is cheap for a vet backup. Nothing in his contract precludes us from starting Kenny.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know what to think. I understand this from the standpoint that he has been a problem in the locker room, and the quitting on plays thing, but maybe they should have tried it this year to see what it was like with a competent OC and QB? If the Offense clicks, Dionte and Pickens might have been pretty dynamic but now they just opened themselves up to needing a WR. And Pickens is not there yet as a #1 WR.

What are they going to do, go after a WR in the draft now? They have many other needs before they should be worrying about a WR IMO.
It appears that Diontae didn't want to be in Pittsburgh. And, he was on an expiring contract. That would make trying to make it work this year difficult. Especially since he has already been a bit of a distraction with his trying to fight teammates. Also reports out there that he was in some pretty heated disputes with his position coach last year. Frisman may have taken that kind of ****, but from all accounts, the new guy won't.
I think this move was about team chemistry and them not being able to work out an extension with DJ. Get something while you can.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
And now he has his mobile guy in Russ so who needs blocking?
Not Shades, weapons are an obvious substitute for OL!

Lad McConkey c'mon down, then Van Pran in the 2nd...we're putting the band, err back-to-back naty team together again...let's go Dawgs
Is Russ still mobile? If Kenny’s ankle is healthy I would say they are about equal. Russ is not as fast as he used to be and he is still short.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
At least when Donte Jackson runs backward it won’t result in failing to pick up a first down.