• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Joey Porter Arrested

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score
That's my point. A cop in Canada makes closet to 100k and usually requires a degree. Someone making 58 k likely has a second job. I don't think this is the type of job you want someone moonlighting. I don't think there is any way an off duty officer working for a bar should be in uniform. That is total Bullshit. No wonder Joey's lawyer ripped through this in record time.
58k you shouldn't need a second job. It's not alot with 3 or 4 kids but saying 58k is second job material in Pittsburgh is a little exaggerated.

Sent from my Pixel using Steeler Nation mobile app

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
For 58k, I can live well in the Pittsburgh market. I think you are confused with officers having to work extra shifts and wanting to work extra shifts. Extra shifts are generally easier and safer jobs, compared to the main job. Sitting in a car at construction sites is a job my friends fight for. All they do is surf the internet at those gigs.

Guess I don't have to wonder anymore why it costs $6 to have the privilege to drive about 30 miles on the piece-of-**** PA Turnpike that's been "under construction" since the day I was born.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
The Turnpike is amazing. The toll plazas are supposed to be funding roadwork, but it actually costs more money to run the toll plazas than they collect. The state would make money just by shutting them down.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
58k you shouldn't need a second job. It's not alot with 3 or 4 kids but saying 58k is second job material in Pittsburgh is a little exaggerated.

Sent from my Pixel using Steeler Nation mobile app
We'll I guess the cost of living in Pittsburgh is substantially lower than where I live. By the time a cop pays his pension (which is one of the more attractive reasons for being one) you will have substantially less than 58k. If a cop is a contractor on the side because he works shift work. Fine. I just think this police for hire business is a bad idea. And I think this incident bears that out. Did he approach Porter as Pitt. PD trying to diffuse the situation between him and the bouncer. Or did he come in as staff trying to help the bouncer. The removal of charges tends to support the later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Guess I don't have to wonder anymore why it costs $6 to have the privilege to drive about 30 miles on the piece-of-**** PA Turnpike that's been "under construction" since the day I was born.

You should see 95 just north of Philadelphia. It's been a decade long project and looks like it will be there for another decade.

You have to notice cops in each and every active work zone. They usually have their lights on to slow down traffic. However when there are accidents caused by the merging and slow downs, they are right there to help, which is a the actual reason why they are there.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
We'll I guess the cost of living in Pittsburgh is substantially lower than where I live.

Cost of living in Pittsburgh is lower than just about anywhere outside of rural Mississippi.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Cost of living in Pittsburgh is lower than just about anywhere outside of rural Mississippi.
Interesting. I didn't feel like that when I've visited. But that is obviously a very small snapshot. What's housing like? It's like 300k and up where I am.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
You should see 95 just north of Philadelphia. It's been a decade long project and looks like it will be there for another decade.

You have to notice cops in each and every active work zone. They usually have their lights on to slow down traffic. However when there are accidents caused by the merging and slow downs, they are right there to help, which is a the actual reason why they are there.

Oh, believe me, I've seen 95, and driven on it many times. At least they don't charge me for it.

It's good that the cops can perform some type of public assistance when they aren't surfing the internet.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Interesting. I didn't feel like that when I've visited. But that is obviously a very small snapshot. What's housing like? It's like 300k and up where I am.

You can buy a perfectly acceptable home in a small town outside the city for under $100k. $300k buys you a palace. Decades of population loss keeps a lid on housing prices. I have a brick 3 BR 2.5 bath house (I added one of the bathrooms) with a finished basement, screened porch, one car garage, large fenced back yard, on a corner lot and it's worth about $90k at most. But then I live in the town were I grew up, I graduated high school pre-steel industry collapse in 1978 in a class of 207 when everyone's dad had a good job in a mill, and now the same school graduates less than 50 students each year. At least I don't have to yell at kids to get off my lawn because there aren't any kids.

Last edited:

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Hell as I get close to retirement in the next ten, if the Steelers look like they will be good I should grab a shack. Then when the time comes I could live late October till end of season. Then make my way further south. Come back home in March or April.

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
The "off duty cop" was in full uniform. He was just being paid by the establishment to work that night, not by the city.
First reports indicated "officer Abel was nearby working undercover".
I have several personal friends who work(ed) as undercover narcotics and vice detectives. I don't they could do their jobs very effectively "in full uniform".
Just sayin'

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
Correction: The report read like a romance novel.

"I observed a large muscular black male"

"...with an extremely muscular build"

"Porter's grasp was so strong, and he was holding my wrists so tightly..."

Yikes! You're right, no wonder Peezey took offense!
Shazaam!

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
First reports indicated "officer Abel was nearby working undercover".
I have several personal friends who work(ed) as undercover narcotics and vice detectives. I don't they could do their jobs very effectively "in full uniform".
Just sayin'
According to the report, he stated on the opening line that he was in full uniform.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Steeler Nation mobile app