• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Crapsheet reports Haskins met with Steelers

diver

Reaction score
It is not about the little commitment you have invested in him. It is about if the team as a whole is moving in a new direction of team culture. Individual accountability. Yes. The investment is minimal. Hell he might not even make the roster next year. Blount was here a short period also. Some claim he helped push Bell in a direction that wasn't good. So if you are trying to create a new environment. Maybe this is not a good signing even though it is at a minimal cost to the team financially. And to be truthful. Does anyone truly believe Tomlin can straighten this young man out? His track record is not the best in this area ....that is for sure.

That is just nonsense. Every year he has 60+ players on the roster, many of them perhaps not from the best backgrounds, and he helps to keep them doing the right things. Like most coaches do. Just because Antonio Brown went off his feed doesn't mean Tomlin all of the sudden isn't impacting young men in a positive way. You can be the greatest coach ever, and some guys just aren't going to listen to you. All coaches deal with that as well.

Look, I have stated clearly that I wish Tomlin would be sent packing. I just keep it to what I see week in and week out on the field, though. That's enough. This other stuff is speculation and can be too easily debunked. Think of the many players who have said he has has a big impact on them. There have been many.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
[/B]

That is just nonsense. Every year he has 60+ players on the roster, many of them perhaps not from the best backgrounds, and he helps to keep them doing the right things. Like most coaches do. Just because Antonio Brown went off his feed doesn't mean Tomlin all of the sudden isn't impacting young men in a positive way. You can be the greatest coach ever, and some guys just aren't going to listen to you. All coaches deal with that as well.

Look, I have stated clearly that I wish Tomlin would be sent packing. I just keep it to what I see week in and week out on the field, though. That's enough. This other stuff is speculation and can be too easily debunked. Think of the many players who have said he has has a big impact on them. There have been many.

Believe what you want. I will believe what I want. Tomlin doesn't run a tight ship. I believe that is factual with his history over the years. From stuff players do on the field. Off the field and behind the closed doors. The players seem to do as they please at times.

diver

Reaction score
Believe what you want. I will believe what I want. Tomlin doesn't run a tight ship. I believe that is factual with his history over the years. From stuff players do on the field. Off the field and behind the closed doors. The players seem to do as they please at times.

That's fine. Do you have a present day example of a coach who runs this tight ship you seek? Not one from 1975. Now?

We have Steelers tunnel vision. Every team has these issues, we just aren't hyper focused on them. Heck, everybody's greatest coach ever had a guy on his team that went to jail for life.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
It is not about the little commitment you have invested in him. It is about if the team as a whole is moving in a new direction of team culture. Individual accountability. Yes. The investment is minimal. Hell he might not even make the roster next year. Blount was here a short period also. Some claim he helped push Bell in a direction that wasn't good. So if you are trying to create a new environment. Maybe this is not a good signing even though it is at a minimal cost to the team financially. And to be truthful. Does anyone truly believe Tomlin can straighten this young man out? His track record is not the best in this area ....that is for sure.
I disagree 100%.

None of us know, at all, the drama that Coach Tomlin had to deal with when AB was here. To think he simply went bat chyt is ludicrous.

But our HC will never be enough until he wins 4 more SB titles...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Steeler Nation mobile app

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
This is absolute comedy gold. It ain't happening ANYWHERE ON ANY TEAM in the league!!!

BWAHAHAHA

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I disagree 100%.

None of us know, at all, the drama that Coach Tomlin had to deal with when AB was here. To think he simply went bat chyt is ludicrous.

But our HC will never be enough until he wins 4 more SB titles...

Tomlin enabled AB. Our ownership enabled him. You might have simply loved AB because he put up the numbers year in and year out but what was the cost for the "team" first culture? Killed it. And in the end, my point is Tomlin should not have put up with the drama from AB. What did that bullshit get us? SB's? Nope. Nice stats? Yep. Yeah. I'm going to say in the end it didn't work out.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
This is absolute comedy gold. It ain't happening ANYWHERE ON ANY TEAM in the league!!!

BWAHAHAHA

Where did I state that it never happened on other teams? I simply stated Tomlin has handled it wrong.Yep...Tomlin is comedy gold as a "coach". You finally nailed it.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin enabled AB. Our ownership enabled him. You might have simply loved AB because he put up the numbers year in and year out but what was the cost for the "team" first culture? Killed it. And in the end, my point is Tomlin should not have put up with the drama from AB. What did that bullshit get us? SB's? Nope. Nice stats? Yep. Yeah. I'm going to say in the end it didn't work out.

It got us wins nay sayer. It got us wins...

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
It got us wins nay sayer. It got us wins...

LOL...Now that is comedy gold. So you think we couldn't have gotten the wins without AB and had a better team culture? Who am I kidding? Tomlin doesn't have it in him to run a tight ship. History shows that week in week out. Year in and year out. But hey....we got a few wins. We didn't get the one win every team shoots for every year though. We have come up WAY short when it comes to that, unfortunately. Do you honestly think we can ever win another SB with Tomlin running the show?

Muddler

Reaction score
Ugh, I was not a fan of this move when it happened and after reading about Haskins actual football "skills" I have really begun to hate it. Not only does he seem immature and entitled, but his deep passes are incredibly inaccurate and to top it all off he doesn't even run well. I understand its a low risk move financially but these "first round QB bust rehab projects" are getting a little old now. I don't see him ever competing with Rudolph as a drop back passer and I'd rather keep Dobbs than invest any time in Haskins. At least Dobbs is a great teammate and adds a dimension to the offense as a threat to run from the QB position.

diver

Reaction score
The only way to deal tough with AB would have been to trade or cut him when he his age and talent were at their best. Lets say that's around 2015 or so. Fans would have had a stroke if they did that. And I just don't see AB handling tough love to well. I think he flakes out sooner. Upon reflection, they should have traded his ***, but reflection is easy. I would not have been happy if they did at that time.

But I think this idea of running this tight ship is horseshit. I don't think it happens anywhere anymore, and may not have for quite some time. I always say Ernie Holmes was shooting at helicopters in 1972. They didn't dump him. I think it is far more about managing the personalities and trying to keep them all on the same page. Tomlinson to me does that better than most. Every year there are hot coaches who look so great, the team is focused, but it doesn't last to that level. I wonder if it can today. The cheater was the only one who really seemed to pull it off. Tomlinson always has the Steelers in the hunt, which is a testament to him in that regard.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. Keep AB and his bullshit that was arguably detrimental to the chemistry of the team because of the back last from the fans. Lol. I sure hope our HC and ownership doesn't let the fans feelings come into their dealings with the team. Aside from that they could have just let stuff slip out about AB being AB at any point just like they did at the very end. One day everything was under wraps...next day there was a new AB story daily. How about this? Maybe Tomlin could run a tighter ship than he has done in the past...since no team is able to fully run a tight ship.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Matt Stafford wants to be traded. Anyway we can get him under the cap?

Sure. Right after we get JuJu inked to a new deal we can work on Stafford.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Matt Stafford wants to be traded. Anyway we can get him under the cap?
Steelernation never disappoints. I read that and knew if I came here there would be a look good in Black n Gold.[emoji28]

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

diver

Reaction score
Yep. Keep AB and his bullshit that was arguably detrimental to the chemistry of the team because of the back last from the fans. Lol. I sure hope our HC and ownership doesn't let the fans feelings come into their dealings with the team. Aside from that they could have just let stuff slip out about AB being AB at any point just like they did at the very end. One day everything was under wraps...next day there was a new AB story daily. How about this? Maybe Tomlin could run a tighter ship than he has done in the past...since no team is able to fully run a tight ship.

Oh, man. You read into stuff. I never said they would or would not do something on account of the fans. They never have. I was just saying that if they had dumped AB back then, most fans would have been upset. We didn't know then what we know now.

Its just damn stupid to rip Tomlin on something you have no clue about. Neither do I, which is why I avoid it. But putting a LB on a WR? That I can see, and its asinine. No commitment to the running game? I can see that too. This tight ship stuff, though, is just bullshit speculation.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Ugh, I was not a fan of this move when it happened and after reading about Haskins actual football "skills" I have really begun to hate it. Not only does he seem immature and entitled, but his deep passes are incredibly inaccurate and to top it all off he doesn't even run well. I understand its a low risk move financially but these "first round QB bust rehab projects" are getting a little old now. I don't see him ever competing with Rudolph as a drop back passer and I'd rather keep Dobbs than invest any time in Haskins. At least Dobbs is a great teammate and adds a dimension to the offense as a threat to run from the QB position.

Dobbs is a smart cookie,probably in a higher capacity better suited for aerospace engineering, but I would certainly keep him over Haskins who doesn't seem to care after winning the lotto of getting drafted high. He'd have to seriously work his *** off and walk the line. Not everyone gives a **** about winning championships.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, man. You read into stuff. I never said they would or would not do something on account of the fans. They never have. I was just saying that if they had dumped AB back then, most fans would have been upset. We didn't know then what we know now.

Its just damn stupid to rip Tomlin on something you have no clue about. Neither do I, which is why I avoid it. But putting a LB on a WR? That I can see, and its asinine. No commitment to the running game? I can see that too. This tight ship stuff, though, is just bullshit speculation.

Yeah it is bullshit. All teams would have handled the AB **** show the same way. Maybe the term "tight ship" that a few of you are getting all worked up about was the wrong way to say it. In the end, Tomlin failed in the handling of a bunch of high-profile players. It hurt this team. We have no leadership now. When Tomlin took over there were leaders all over in the locker room. Not now. Just other players that seem to want to be the next "look at me" player. Leadership starts from the top. Tomlin has failed. The Rooney's have failed.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
LOL...Now that is comedy gold. So you think we couldn't have gotten the wins without AB and had a better team culture? Who am I kidding? Tomlin doesn't have it in him to run a tight ship. History shows that week in week out. Year in and year out. But hey....we got a few wins. We didn't get the one win every team shoots for every year though. We have come up WAY short when it comes to that, unfortunately. Do you honestly think we can ever win another SB with Tomlin running the show?

Perhaps if AB wasn't decapitated by a player that was kicked out of the league for targeting players, we win that SB.

It's nice to form narratives, but most of the time you have to play with who you have, and how the season unfolds, does matter.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah it is bullshit. All teams would have handled the AB **** show the same way. Maybe the term "tight ship" that a few of you are getting all worked up about was the wrong way to say it. In the end, Tomlin failed in the handling of a bunch of high-profile players. It hurt this team. We have no leadership now. When Tomlin took over there were leaders all over in the locker room. Not now. Just other players that seem to want to be the next "look at me" player. Leadership starts from the top. Tomlin has failed. The Rooney's have failed.

AB was a HOF player under Tomlin. Since then, meh...

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
AB was a HOF player under Tomlin. Since then, meh...

Gotcha.....but nobody is/was questioning his talent.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps if AB wasn't decapitated by a player that was kicked out of the league for targeting players, we win that SB.

It's nice to form narratives, but most of the time you have to play with who you have, and how the season unfolds, does matter.

Yep. You also have a nice little narrative. If AB doesn't get hurt we might have won the SB. Any other what if's?

Here is a little nugget from our friend Mark Madden in an article the other week. Seems a few of his articles have hit the nail right on the head...

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden-loyalty-to-mike-tomlin-leaves-steelers-going-nowhere/

“The Steelers couldn’t get a better coach than Tomlin.” That’s often said.

But the Steelers replaced Bill Cowher. They replaced Chuck Noll, who might be the best coach ever. (That was after letting Noll stick around at least a half-decade too long.) The franchise hasn’t had a problem finding talent to serve as head coach.

Look at the situation objectively. There’s no logical reason to retain Tomlin besides the idea that the Steelers never fire coaches. They’ve had three coaches since 1969.

Indulging that at the expense of ignoring reality is a slippery slope.

But that’s “the Steelers way.” How the franchise operates.

But “the Steelers way” isn’t working. It doesn’t exist anymore. It expired with Dan Rooney. The franchise gets bullied by its own players. That’s the new “Steelers way.”

diver

Reaction score

The question is, to me, is that the coach or is that just the majority of players today? That's why I don't like to be critical there. I'm not sure. But I am sure about some of the lousy **** coming through my TV screen. To me, what I see on the field would be enough to give Tomlin his pink slip. Its not getting better, and worse, its not changing.

Not that it matters as we have no say. But I've been in enough situations in which you have to stay on point. You can't get off into the weeds or your main point gets lost. The product I see on the field is substandard and I can point to specific things. If I say he doesn't have control or whatever, I think it can be shown all the young men he has impacted positively. Now my main point is lost.