• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coaches

ark steel

Reaction score
Why would he? Clusters usually consist of more than one participant. I don't know all the ins & outs of the situation. Perhaps you could share the intimate details from which you are deriving that it's all on him.

Well, when **** don't go right with the Steelers, it either directly Tomlin' s fault or indirectly by -insert bullshit here-. Players **** up off the field? Tomlin has no control of his team.....ad nauseam.

I don't have intimate details about what happened in ST. We all have the same detail. The FO couldn't wait to get rid of an HC who had gone to the NFC Championship game 3 out of 4 years. Can you think of any reason an FO would do that? They have more information than any of us, don't they? The most likely reason is the most obvious. That reason is that Harbaugh ain't what this board seems to think of him.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I'd bet that Coach Lake And His Knee will get fired after the season, but he'll just be taking the fall for Tombert being utterly incompetent when it comes to drafting defense.

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
A few thoughts:
1. The Steelers do not promote assistant or podition coaches from within or hire retreads to HC. Unless there is a dramatic change in FO demeanor Mike Munch will never have that job nor do I think he wants it.
2. Colbert and Tomlin own every draft pick and their lack of development. Al Vallenueva was picked up and handed to Munch. Looks like the linebacker position development strategy might need to go in a new direction.
3. Emperor Chaz was a "Defensive Guy", his first season was an abysmal 1-13 following perennial Steeler losing seasons. Noll built a championship team, he didn't inherit one. The game has changed since then, other teams manage to do fine with prospects and talent assessment & development. Belichick takes rejects and turns them into playmakers, how does he do that?
4. Mike Tomlin " did a good job as DC for the Vikes", so how is it the Steelers secondary has been weak for three years?
5. Jim Harbage is a dick and the SF organization has changed since the days of Bill Walsh. They only wish they could compare themselves to the Steeler FO. Harbage AND Urban Meyer will remain college coaches they're good at it, get paid well and don't have to deal with the NFL related BS.
6. Mike Tomlin will be HC for the Steelers in 2016. It's not his fault potentially a 10-6 season couldn't win a Division title even though ( so far), three of the losses were against division rivals! You know, the games you HAVE TO WIN against teams you have the most film to prepare with! I think Tomlin gets one more year before the Steelers start calling him in for an evaluation meeting. This year he gets to tell everyone how good of a year Marvin Lewis had.

Last edited:

Troglodyte

Reaction score
I'd bet that Coach Lake And His Knee will get fired after the season, but he'll just be taking the fall for Tombert being utterly incompetent when it comes to drafting defense.

I was at a holiday party and overheard someone who apparently knows former Steelers assistant Ray Jackson say that Lake was likely getting fired and Jackson (now with Denver) would replace him.

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
The whole team does, and even moreso does the coach that is allowing repetitive mistakes.

I don't think there is a fan that would say Ben played well.

or the D played well.

But there is enough games of this and that playing below the line. Enough to the point it just isn't getting the job done.

because with this talent on O lets be real. Anything less than a playoff appearance is a fail, and it is again a reoccurring problem.

Was the practice lackadaisical leading up to the game?

The whole game just stunk of lack or preparation.

And year after year after year same issues.

So there is a point that you have to stop finger pointing the players and point toward the coach and GM.

It is where I am at..

Why don't you ever hammer Bens dick to the anvil ? I mean, hes ****** up in these losses to the "lesser opponents" is he not.............? You seem to excuse his ****** *** performances, instead opting to focus on the coach. Yeah, I get it...its a team game. But success in this league is directly tied to how well your quarterback performs and more importantly how well he protects the football.

As of this week, Ben has 14 INTs.....that's 1.2 per game...hes projected (over a 16 game season) to have 18 INTS...currently at 14,.that's three times as many as Alex Smith, twice as many as Russell Wilson. Look at this....theres only three QBs in the league with more giveaways....Bortles, Matt Ryan and Manning (playing 4 less games than the aforementioned).

Its easy to rip the coach, the defense..........but some of y'all have been way too forgiving of the 100 million dollar "Sandlot Jesus".

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Why don't you ever hammer Bens dick to the anvil ? I mean, hes ****** up in these losses to the "lesser opponents" is he not.............? You seem to excuse his ****** *** performances, instead opting to focus on the coach. Yeah, I get it...its a team game. But success in this league is directly tied to how well your quarterback performs and more importantly how well he protects the football.

As of this week, Ben has 14 INTs.....that's 1.2 per game...hes projected (over a 16 game season) to have 18 INTS...currently at 14,.that's three times as many as Alex Smith, twice as many as Russell Wilson. Look at this....theres only three QBs in the league with more giveaways....Bortles, Matt Ryan and Manning (playing 4 less games than the aforementioned).

Its easy to rip the coach, the defense..........but some of y'all have been way too forgiving of the 100 million dollar "Sandlot Jesus".
coaches guide and work on players strengths and weaknesses

Brett Favre under one coach INT's were down, then a noticeable difference when the coach left.

Nobody again is giving the players a free pass.

It starts with them, but it ends with the coaches putting them in the best position to succeed.

Now a smart coach identifies there is a problem playing down to lesser opponents and addresses it.

It is fair to assume either Tomlin doesn't address it or just sucks at trying to fix it.

Either or he is the responsible party in the end.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The reason I give Ben a pass and not Tomlin is this. He makes decisions in tenths of seconds and he has a bunch of guys that he relies upon to do what he expects them to do. For example, he expects AB to cross that guys face and if he does it is a big play. Tomlin on the other hand had a week to decide how he would attack a team with no QB, No Recievers and no running back. He decided to play them soft and let them make their own mistakes despite the fact that the defense clearly didn't work doing that the week before against Denver. He had the Blue print and he went against it because of his own pride in "his defensive scheme" and the ridiculous assertion that they strive to be a four man pressure team. And then to top it off his hubris about not wanting to be proved wrong by the fans about Blake/Boykin. And I will even go so far as to say that I think Blake developed his back spasms because he knew he shouldn't be in there.

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
You are absolutely right the Steelers should dump his broke down *** and get something for Ben Rothlisberger huh?
Uhhh no, QB's throw picks it's a fact look it up. Another fact: the Defense stinks. The Offense is always under pressure to score points and move down field. I think Ben could throw away more balls and avoid picks but sometimes receivers blow it too running bad routes and tipping away catchable throws.
Newton, Rogers, Brady; they all toss a gimmie. Alex Smith likely has the lowest INT rating in the league, want him as your QB? I'd like the KC Defense this year, they're not wishing another team loses so they can make the playoffs! Hell, they might be carrying Andy Reid's fat *** to the Super Bowl for crissakes!

Omar10213245

๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘‚๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿช‚๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒ›๐ŸŒœโ˜‚โ˜”โ„๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿฅบ
Contributor
Reaction score

Brett Favre under one coach INT's were down, then a noticeable difference when the coach left.

It starts with them, but it ends with the coaches putting them in the best position to succeed.

Now a smart coach identifies there is a problem playing down to lesser opponents and addresses it.

It is fair to assume either Tomlin doesn't address it or just sucks at trying to fix it.

Its incredible how some of the posters on this site cant see this

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I decided to take a quick look at the Steelers defensive staff, particular at the three former Steelers on staff.

Lake was an Eagles' camp volunteer and Cal DB coach in 2009 and then an intern with Green Bay in 2010 before being named Steelers DB coach.

Olsavsky worked his way up the ladder, starting at as a HS volunteer coach for two years before spending nine years in various capacities at three different schools. Once he arrived in Pittsburgh, he was a defensive assistant before being named ILB coach before this year.

Porter is a fan favorite, but spent one year as a grade assistant at CSU before becoming a defensive assistant in 2014 and then OLB coach in 2015.

Mike Munchak was the only coach on staff to spend so much time with the team that he played for an spent three years as a QC coach before taking over the offensive line job in Houston/Tennessee.

What does it all mean? Maybe nothing, but a stark contrast from the vast amount of experience that many of the other assistants exhibit through their various stops while climbing the coaching ladder. I do wonder if any moves will be made to to the staff this offseason.

diver

Reaction score

I agree with your first statement about coaches. But, what do you do? Ben has played poorly in some big spots. What do you do to make this problem go away?

Farve's picks did go down. Then, in the biggest spot of the year till that time he throws a horrible pick in the NFCC game and loses the game. Farve being Farve. Sounds kinda like Ben... "I gotta be me."

Players do get a free pass. And those that don't..."What the **** was Tomlin thinking, drafting these bums?"

Again, how do you address it? See, so many on here say that, but I have yet to see an explanation on how you address it. I admit I do not know. I do not know how your get a bunch of grown men, professionals, not to look past a team. If they cannot understand it without being told, I have no idea.