• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Camp news out of the gates...

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Today's camp news. Get it while it's hot

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...-5th-practice-live-blog-wednesday-highlights/

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Demarcus Ayers had an ankle of some description,” said Tomlin. “We’ll see, hopefully he’ll be back out tomorrow, or soon thereafter. Canaan Severin has a shoulder injury that’s going to be evaluated. I’ll let you know once that gets evaluated and I think Ryan Shazier just got shaken up a little bit. Nothing major there.

Looks like Shazier is ok...

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Demarcus Ayers had an ankle of some description,” said Tomlin. “We’ll see, hopefully he’ll be back out tomorrow, or soon thereafter. Canaan Severin has a shoulder injury that’s going to be evaluated. I’ll let you know once that gets evaluated and I think Ryan Shazier just got shaken up a little bit. Nothing major there.

Looks like Shazier is ok...

not the reason I want to hear Tomlin talking about Ayers...hopefully it is minor

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
not the reason I want to hear Tomlin talking about Ayers...hopefully it is minor

didn't sound too serious. I think yinz boy is ok Coolie.

Jersey purchased if he makes the final 53?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Steelers Training Camp Injury Report: Shazier, Ayers, Severin All Banged Up On Wednesday

StockShazier5

BY DAVE BRYAN AUGUST 3, 2016 AT 05:08 PM
After giving an update on injured Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Senquez Golson at the conclusion of the team’s Wednesday training camp practice, head coach Mike Tomlin ran down the rest of team’s injury report coming out of the day’s session.

Tomlin started things off by saying that he gave defensive end Stephon Tuitt, cornerback Artie Burns and linebacker Bud Dupree the day off on Wednesday due to either minor bumps and bruises or general maintenance.

“I expect those guys out tomorrow, or soon thereafter,” said Tomlin.

The Steelers head coach went on to say that the team suffered a few minor injuries during practice.

“Demarcus Ayers had an ankle of some description,” said Tomlin. “We’ll see, hopefully he’ll be back out tomorrow, or soon thereafter. Canaan Severin has a shoulder injury that’s going to be evaluated. I’ll let you know once that gets evaluated and I think Ryan Shazier just got shaken up a little bit. Nothing major there.

It will be interesting to see if wide receiver Canaan Severin suffered a dislocated shoulder. Hopefully he didn’t and it winds up just being a minor injury that he can bounce back quickly from.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/08/steelers-training-camp-diary-day-five/

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Steelers
As Steelers turn to Davis, first-round pick Burns bides his time

By F. Dale Lolley
August 3, 2016

Steelers cornerbacks William Gay, left, and Artie Burns talk during practice at the team’s training camp in Latrobe Monday. - Associated Press
LATROBE – An NFL training camp is as much about position meetings as it is about what happens on the football field.

That’s why every day at noon, Steelers defensive backs coach Carnell Lake has what he calls a, “young guys meeting.”

It’s a full room. Basically, only veteran cornerback Will Gay and safety Mike Mitchell are excused. Everybody else? They better be there.

The Steelers are dreadfully young in the secondary. Of the current group of cornerbacks in training camp, only Gay, Ross Cockrell and 30-year-old Donald Washington have played a snap in the NFL. And Washington, who signed with the Steelers after playing in the CFL last season, hasn’t taken an NFL snap since 2011.

The Steelers are a little more experienced at safety, but the inexperience at cornerback is one reason the team isn’t panicking over the loss of 2015 second-round pick Senquez Golson to a Lis Franc injury. Golson suffered the injury Monday, putting his season in jeopardy.

Because Golson missed all of last season with a shoulder injury, the Steelers already figured they’d be starting at least one defensive back with little to no NFL experience.

Golson was in that spot since training camp opened at Saint Vincent College. Now it appears the job belongs to second-round draft pick Sean Davis.

“There was no pecking order,” said Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. “We’re just working guys. It’s not like Senquez has done that much more than Davis. Rotations and who’s playing with what group are less important right now than what we’re asking of each group.”

It does beg the question, however, what about first-round draft pick Artie Burns?

Why aren’t the Steelers replacing a cornerback with another cornerback? Davis played some cornerback in college but was drafted as a safety.

“I’m just here to work,” said Burns, who sat out practice Wednesday with soreness in his groin. “It’s still early in camp, so you don’t know who is going to land where. Every day I come to work. You don’t know if someone else is going to go down. You have to come to work every day. If the coaches feel like you’re the best for that spot, they’ll put me there.”

That might not be the answer some Steelers fans – who questioned the pick of Burns in the first round – want to hear.

The coaching staff, however, believes its best option covering wide receivers in the slot is the 6-1, 200-pound Davis.

“He’s a strong, fast, physical guy,” said Lake. “Receivers will challenge him. The run game and some of the zone pass defenses will be very similar for him as they are at safety. That won’t be a big transition. Some of the man-to-man stuff, getting different formations, he’ll have to get that quickly.”

That is what has Davis ahead of Burns.

At 6-0, 197 pounds, Burns is similar in size to Davis. But he’s a different kind of player.

“I have played the slot a little bit, but I’m truly an outside press corner,” said Burns.

Gay has played in the slot and the Steelers have lauded his performance there. But they seem intent on keeping him on the outside at this point and Burns on the bench.

Another reason for that might be Burns is less polished than Davis, who started 40 college games compared to 23 for Burns.

Burns also has struggled in pass coverage during training camp. Then again, many times the Steelers made sure Burns was matched up with All-Pro receiver Antonio Brown, which will lead to a bad day for any cornerback.

“He’s learning,” Lake said of Burns. “He’s taking his lumps right now. But I see some improvement and we want to keep that improvement going day to day.”

And that’s what the young guys meetings are about. The Steelers are trying to shrink the learning curve as quickly as possible.

“We just go over different formations, different coverages, stuff like that, so that when it’s game time we’re ready,” Burns said. “He wants to speed us up during camp. That’s what we talk about.”

Odds and end zones
In addition to Burns, several others sat out practice with what Tomlin deemed were bumps and bruises. Among them were defensive end Stephon Tuitt and wide receiver Markus Wheaton. … Inside linebacker Ryan Shazier was shaken up, according to Tomlin, and left practice early. Also leaving early were receivers DeMarcus Ayers (ankle) and Canaan Severin (shoulder). … The Steelers waived tight end Mandel Dixon and receiver Shakim Phillips and signed cornerback Kevin White and tight end Jake Phillips, both rookies. White played at TCU and Phillips at UNLV. … The Steelers will practice at 2:55 p.m. today. The session is open to the public.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Rookie Davis to get 1st shot at slot cornerback job
Steelers safety Sean Davis presses the play during practice at training camp Friday, July 29, 2016 at St. Vincent College in Latrobe. — Chaz Palla | Tribune-ReviewView gallery...
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review
Steelers safety Sean Davis presses the play during practice at training camp Friday, July 29, 2016 at St. Vincent College in Latrobe.
Mark Kaboly BY MARK KABOLY
Wednesday, Aug. 3, 2016, 7:51 p.m.
Updated 12 hours ago
Smart and athletic is what the Steelers look for out of their slot nickel cornerback. And quick.

Think Deshea Townsend. Think Senquez Golson. Think William Gay.

You definitely don't think of a 6-foot-1, 202-pound rookie safety like Sean Davis.

The Steelers do.

With Golson sidelined for an extended period after suffering a Lisfranc mid-foot injury Monday, the Steelers are intrigued enough with Davis, a second-round pick, to give him first crack at the slot cornerback position.

“We are going to throw him into the water without a life vest and see if he can swim,” defensive backs coach Carnell Lake said. “We are going to give him every opportunity to do that and prove that he is capable of performing in there.”

The Steelers were hoping Golson — their second-round pick last year — would be able to secure that position even though he missed his rookie year with a shoulder injury.

Now, with Golson sidelined for the foreseeable future, the Steelers turn to Davis, at least for now. They could always move Gay inside like they have the past couple of years, but they are intrigued by Davis.

“He is kind of like a (Ryan) Shazier coming off that edge instead of a corner coming off the edge in the slot,” defensive coordinator Keith Butler said. “I like that aspect of it, and I know he can do that. We have to see if he can cover and do all the formation adjustments that was ask him to do. If he can do that, we have something here.”

Davis showed almost immediately what he can bring to the slot position. When Golson was injured and Davis took over first-team reps, he came barreling in free on a blitz and could have clocked Ben Roethlisberger before pulling up.

“I was going to crush Ben,” Davis said with a laugh. “I like to hit, man. They all fall the same way. I am playing my ball. Give me some practices and I'll be ready.”

Davis isn't a knee-jerk reaction.The Steelers were interested in seeing him at slot cornerback going back to spring practices, where he took snaps at the position. With Davis having a background at safety (as a junior) and cornerback (as a senior) at Maryland, it makes him unique even though they drafted him to be a safety.

The Steelers were in the market for an athletic safety who could play in the box, cover tight ends and give them the flexibility to blitz and be disruptive near the line.

Never did Davis think it was going to be from the slot.

“I am just happy that my skill set is finally paying off,” Davis said. “I got the size and strength of a safety but the quickness and speed as a corner, so I am going to use it to the best of my abilities.”

It's still far from being set in stone that Davis will be their slot guy. He has to show he's able to cover the slot receiver — the Julian Edelmans of the NFL.

“He will be challenged in the slot,” Lake said. “Receivers will challenge him. The run game and some of the zone pass defenses will be very similar to him. That won't be a big transition. Some of the man-to-man stuff adjusting with formations and personnel is something that he will have to get pretty quickly.”

Davis is still taking reps at safety behind starters Mike Mitchell and Robert Golden and learning the Steelers' system. Davis is usually not far behind Lake, whether it is on the field or in the meeting room.

“I have to embrace what they put in front of me and do my job,” Davis said. “They expect me to play nickel and safety, so I have to play nickel and safety. I wish it was easy for me, but it is not and I have to deal with it.”

Sean Davis file

Height: 6-1

Weight: 202

Year: Rookie

College: Maryland

Skinny: Davis, the Steelers' second-round pick in this year's draft, started 40 games for the Maryland in his four years and amassed more than 300 tackles including 70 solo tackles as a senior cornerback. As a sophomore at safety, Davis accumulated 102 tackles. Over his four seasons with the Terrapins, he totaled 319 tackles, 10 for loss, 2.5 sacks and 5 interceptions

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Steelers Insider: Teammates feel Golson's pain, Shazier shaken up
Chris B. Mueller Times NFL Correspondent 13 hrs ago 0
Steelers Football
Gene J. Puskar/The Associated Press
Steelers wide receiver Sammie Coates (14) runs after making a catch during a practice Monday in Latrobe.
LATROBE -- Mike Tomlin confirmed that cornerback Senquez Golson suffered a Lisfranc injury in practice Monday, which occurs in the mid-foot when one or more of the metatarsal bones are displaced.

Tomlin did not offer a timetable for his return, but typical recovery periods for Lisfranc injuries are at least three months depending on if surgery is required. In Golson's case, surgery has not been ruled out.

It's another setback for Golson, who missed all of his rookie season with shoulder problems and then was held out for most of OTAs with a soft tissue injury. The former Ole Miss standout was drafted with high expectations and may have suffered his second consecutive season-ending injury in as many years.

"What he’s going through, he’s not by himself," cornerback Will Gay said. "That’s what I told him, you're not by yourself. You’ve got your brothers here. It’s an unfortunate situation that you can’t control."

Last week, Golson couldn't overstate the excitement he felt entering training camp 100 percent healthy. Maintaining the mental fortitude to recover from a season-ending injury was no easy task, and for a brief moment, it appeared that all the work Golson put in to get back on the field was finally coming to fruition.

Though with one step of his foot during a team segment on Monday, that period of fulfillment was over.

"You’ve just got to keep him encouraged," linebacker Vince Williams said. "You never know what’s in the cards for a guy like that. He’s a hard worker. He’s fought back from multiple injuries so you know he's resilient. Obviously, he’s going to do the same now."

Golson was expected to start out the season at the nickel back position.

"We lost a true corner, a true nickel. A great asset that we could have this year," Gay said. "But we have a lot of guys that are improving and a lot of guys that are willing to go out there and put everything on the line."

Now, with the vacancy in the slot, insert rookie Sean Davis.

The second-round pick out of Maryland has an opportunity to step in and make an impact right away, and he brings a different aspect than Golson to the position. Davis racked up over 300 tackles in his college career. He's big, physical and not reluctant to hit.

"If Sean just learns the playbook and learns what he’s supposed to do, his athletic ability is going to show," safety Robert Golden said. "The first thing we’ve got to do is know what to do. Sean is a very versatile type of guy so he actually brings more physicality at the nickel back position which we can use a lot."

Tomlin played down the idea that Davis is the front-runner to start at nickel come Week 1. It's still early August, and there's a lot of evaluation to be done.

NOTEWORTHY

The Steelers are already gearing up for their annual night practice at Latrobe High School. It's a different environment than the typical St. Vincent afternoon practices, and fans pack the house in full force to catch the Steelers under the lights. The Steelers are typically used to the Heinz Field environment, which is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. It provides a flashback to their high school gridiron days. "From everything I hear, it’s Friday Night Lights," CB Ross Cockrell said. "I’m looking forward to it. It’s probably going to have a feel like a high school game. I know the crowd is going to be out there pumping us up. I’m excited."
A week into training camp, Jarvis Jones is already tired of hearing the same questions over and over again. After the Steelers declined to pick up the fifth-year option on his contract, Jones is in a make-or-break season after not living up to the expectations of a first-round pick. He knows what's at stake. "I think y'all keep asking me the same questions, man," he said. "I'm ready to play football. My head is in the right place. I'm healthy. I'm going to continue to work. The (fifth-year) option is already out of the door, so it's time to play football. It is what it is."
Tomlin started out his post-practice press conference by paying respects to long-time Steelers trainer Ralph Berlin, who died Wednesday. "I've got to know him during my time here and really appreciated the relationship and perspective that he provided. I just wanted to honor him and send our condolences to his family." Berlin was the Steelers' trainer from 1968-93.
The Steelers made two roster moves Wednesday, signing tight end Jake Philips and cornerback Kevin White. Both were present in practice. To make room on the roster, the Steelers waived/injured WR Shakim Phillips and CB Mandel Dixon. Shakim Phillips had been on the practice squad.
BEHIND THE ROPES

Observations from Wednesday's practice

* Ryan Shazier took what appeared to be a shot to the ribs early on in practice during a team period. Shazier, who's been injury-prone, ran off the field and slammed his helmet in frustration before laying down to be attended to by trainers. Shazier briefly returned later on in the drill but was limited for the rest of practice. Tomlin said he was just shaken up and it wasn't anything serious.

* The offense took the crown in the "7-shots" drill, 4-3. Antonio Brown had a nice corner jump-ball catch over Will Gay, while Xavier Grimble couldn't keep his feet in on a tip-toe catch in the back of the end zone. Le'Veon Bell and Jesse James also had touchdowns.

* Davis sure doesn't shy away from contact. Just ask Sammie Coates. During team drills, Coates streaked up the left sideline and caught a nice one-handed grab in bounds from Ben Roethlisberger. Davis sized him up perfectly and laid the hit.

* Before Shazier was shaken up, Tomlin made a point to get on him during a backs-on-backers pass coverage drill. Shazier, whose received high praise for his display thus far in camp, was crossed up by Bell on a route that left him in the dust. Tomlin had some fun with it and made sure to call out Shazier for another matchup on the last rep of the drill. Fitzgerald Toussaint burned Shazier on an out route, but then he dropped the pass out of bounds.

* Sammie Coates took back a kick return for a would-be a touchdown during special teams, which caused a large roar from the crowd.

* In his first practice as a Steeler, Jake Philips made an impressive play during individual drills. He grabbed a one-handed, diving catch out of bounds that even had Roethlisberger impressed. "Nice grab, big guy," Roethlisberger was heard saying. The fans enjoyed it, but they were probably asking who Philips was.

* NFL referees were on hand at practice Wednesday to give a real look at what's a penalty and what's not during an actual game. The receivers and defensive backs benefited from it the most.

INJURY REPORT

* Canaan Severin (shoulder) is being evaluated.

* DeMarcus Ayers (ankle) is being evaluated.

* Artie Burns, Stephon Tuitt and Bud Dupree were out for maintenance days. All are expected to return Thursday.

* Devaunte Sigler was activated from the non-football injury list after passing his physical. He practiced Wednesday.

QUOTEWORTHY

"Yeah, I remember when I used to only have one reporter during my rookie year."

Will Gay, cornerback, to a media scrum when asked if the past 10 years with the Steelers has flown by.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Mann Confident Steelers’ ‘Joker’ Can Help Pick Up The Slack Following Loss Of Bryant

darrius-heyward-bey-2015-steelers-ravens

BY DAVE BRYAN AUGUST 4, 2016 AT 09:38 AM
As the Pittsburgh Steelers enter their sixth practice of training camp on Thursday, a lot of focus has been on second-year wide receiver Sammie Coates as possibly being a prime candidate to help overcome the loss this year of suspended wide receiver Martavis Bryant. However, lost in the early training camp news and practice notes is veteran wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, but his position coach Richard Mann reminded everyone on Wednesday just how important the former first round draft pick of the Oakland Raiders is to the team.

“I think Hey-Bey has come here and he’s found a home,” said Mann in an interview that was aired Wednesday on Steelers Nation Radio. “He knows his role; he plays it well. We use him all over, he’s like a joker, we just move him around and he knows what to do. And like I said and if we get a game plan and we’re going to play him in a certain position, then we teach him how to do it during the week. As long as he knows what to do, we feel like we can get him taught on how to do it.”

Last season when Bryant missed the first four games of the regular season due to a suspension and the fifth with a minor knee injury, Heyward-Bey stepped right in and delivered as the veteran caught 17 passes for 209 yards and 2 touchdowns. After Bryant finally returned to action, Heyward-Bey became a role player on offense in addition to continuing to play on special teams like he’s done since arriving in Pittsburgh.

While he went on to catch just 4 more passes during the regular season once Bryant supplanted him in the lineup, those additional grabs averaged just over 26 yards and he also added two more catches for 64 yards in the Divisional Round playoff loss to the Denver Broncos.

While it’s quite obvious the Steelers are hoping that Coates can play a big part in helping the offense overcome the loss of Bryant in 2016, he’s still very much unproven as he enters his second season. Because of that, you can probably expect Heyward-Bey to get his fair share of playing time early on in the season as the Auburn product tries to prove that he can be an every-down player

“Somebody else has got to come through,” Mann said of the loss this season of Bryant. “We’ve got a couple of other players that’s on our squad that didn’t play a lot last year. We’re looking for them to grow, get better and pick up the slack that we lose when we lose Martavis.”

Expect Heyward-Bey to be one of many asked to help pick up some of that slack while helping Coates pick up some of it as well.

“He’s smart, he knows the offense and he helps me out with the younger guys,” Mann said of his veteran wide receiver

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...p-6th-practice-live-blog-thursday-highlights/

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...h-practice-live-blog-friday-night-highlights/

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Steelers training camp inside the ropes: Rookie LB Matakevich provides night practice highlight
Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell takes a photo with fans before a training camp practice Friday, Aug. 5, 2016, at Memorial Stadium in Latrobe.
Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell takes a photo with fans before a training camp practice Friday, Aug. 5, 2016, at Memorial Stadium in Latrobe.
PHOTO BY CHAZ PALLA | TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Mark Kaboly BY MARK KABOLY
Friday, Aug. 5, 2016, 9:39 p.m.
Updated 8 minutes ago
• The book on rookie linebacker Tyler Matakevich was he was a sure tackler and a heavy hitter. You can add pass-rusher to his resume now. The highlight of Friday night's practice at Latrobe Memorial Stadium was the backs-on-backers drill and ‘Dirty Red' stole the show. Under the watchful eye of Mike Tomlin, Matakevich was a perfect 7 for 7 including the offensive star of the drill Roosevelt Nix twice to end the drill. Matakevich also beat Cameron Stingily and Daryl Richardson twice and Vince Williams once. Also looking good were Jarvis Jones(4-1-1) and Anthony Chickillo(4-2-1). On offense, Nix stood out.

• Le'Veon Bell's surgically-repaired knee got a test when he took part in two reps during the back-on-backers drill. Later during a red-zone team drill, Bell contorted his body to haul in a pass out of the backfield for the touchdown.

• Nix had an all-around solid practice. He not only did well in the back-on-backers, but showed his all-around game during a 11-on-11 scrimmage. Landry Jones stepped up to avoid a blitzing Jordan Dangerfield to float a pass down the far sidelines where Nix hauled it in and rambled 65 yards for a touchdown.

• Jones left practice early after getting his left foot stepped on during a red-zone team drill. He had ice on his left ankle.

• The defense had a come-from-behind victory over the offense during the seven shots drills. With Jones running the first-team offense, he connected with Xavier Grimble and Antonio Brown before Nix plowed in on an inside handoff. The defense shut out the second-team led by Bruce Gradkowski. Al-Hajj Shabazz almost intercepted a pass intended for Demarcus Ayers.

• Ben Roethlisberger missed his second practice of training camp. Roethlisberger did throw during individual drills. Also sitting out were linebackers Travis Feeney and Bud Dupree and cornerback Artie Burns. Ryan Shazier took part in individuals, but did not participate in any team drills.

• Before practice, the Steelers made a pair of roster moves, adding wide receiver Cobi Hamilton and tight end Michael Cooper and releasing Canaan Severin and Jake Phillips. Hamilton originally was drafted by the Bengals in the sixth round in 2013. Hamilton has spent time with Bengals, Eagles, Dolphins and Panthers. Cooper was an undrafted free agent and was with the Redskins in the spring.

• The Steelers spent time on kickoffs with Sammie Coates, Levi Norwood, Isaac Blakeney, Fitzgerald Toussaint and Hamilton

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/08/steelers-training-camp-diary-day-seven/

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
• The book on rookie linebacker Tyler Matakevich was he was a sure tackler and a heavy hitter. You can add pass-rusher to his resume now. The highlight of Friday night's practice at Latrobe Memorial Stadium was the backs-on-backers drill and ‘Dirty Red' stole the show. Under the watchful eye of Mike Tomlin, Matakevich was a perfect 7 for 7 including the offensive star of the drill Roosevelt Nix twice to end the drill. Matakevich also beat Cameron Stingily and Daryl Richardson twice and Vince Williams once. Also looking good were Jarvis Jones(4-1-1) and Anthony Chickillo(4-2-1). On offense, Nix stood out.

I truly hope people don't think Matakevich is a great pass-rusher because of his performance in this drill. By the way, I hope they are able to find a spot for him on the team, but Fort is having an outstanding camp so far.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/08/steelers-training-camp-diary-day-nine/

Vaughan hits an open Demarcus Ayers along the right side. He turns upfied and Vinopal sends a hard shot though the rookie stays on his feet.

see he can stay on his feet after 1st contact.....

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/08/steelers-training-camp-diary-day-nine/

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

see he can stay on his feet after 1st contact.....

A plus moment, but everything I read says Eli Rogers is ahead of him, and beating better DB's for catches. If the Steelers keep 5 WR's:

Brown
Wheaton
Coates
Heyward-Bey
Rogers

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Rogers should be ahead of him at this point, Ayers has only been in the offense a few weeks....as has been stated many times. The punt returns in GAMES will decide if Ayers has a chance or not....