• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Camp news out of the gates...

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Artie Burns has some feistiness to him. He closed hard on a deep ball to Heyward-Bey and knocked the ball out of his hands.

Later, he chased a running back 50 yards downfield to strip the ball loose.

Limited as it is and without pads. I still like what I am hearing.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
H

Forgot to record it. Anyone watch?

Such a small body of work, I was disappointed. We could have done a better job reporting..........

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Day 2: Coates shows off

By Dale Lolley July 30, 2016
July 30, 2016

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Sammie Coates (14) hauls in a pass from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger behind defensive back Jordan Dangerfield (37) during a practice at the NFL football team's training camp in Latrobe, Pa., Saturday, July 30, 2016. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)
It was a good day for Steelers receiver Sammie Coates on the second day of training camp.

It was obvious that the Steelers wanted to test drive the speedy wideout on some deep patterns and he continually took off on go routes down both sidelines.

He and Bruce Gradkowski connected on one deep ball, as Coates beat Doran Grant - who was actually stride for stride with him down the sidelines before Coates gave him a subtle push and made a nice catch in the front corner of the end zone.

Montell Garner broke up an underthrown deep ball to Coates from Ben Roethlisberger, but Coates was easily behind him before having to slow down.

That twosome made up for that moments later, connecting on a long ball down the opposite sideline with Coates making a diving catch on the long ball.

The knock on Coates had been he wasn’t an accomplished route runner and he struggles at times with his hands. But he’s catching everything in sight in this camp thus far and he’s really improved his route running.

He’s paying attention to the details.

After Darrius Heyward-Bey turned a corner inside out, Coates exclaimed, “Great route,” high-fiving DHB when he got back to the offensive huddle.

The kid seems to get it.

• Le’Veon Bell practiced for the second consecutive day, a good sign for a guy coming back from a major knee issue.

That means he was no worse for the wear after practicing Friday.

• We had CBS NFL Insider Jason LaCanfora on with us on ESPN Radio today and he had an interesting comment regarding Bell’s possible suspension.

It has been assumed that Bell will be suspended for four games if he loses his appeal in two weeks with the NFL for violation of the drug policy for missing a test.

But LaCanfora said that while he expects at least a one-game suspension for Bell, he doesn’t necessarily see it being a four-game suspension.

The league does have some leeway on those things. So even if it does buy Bell’s excuse for missing the test but still feels it needs to send a message, it could do so without having him miss four games.

• Inside linebacker Jordan Zumwalt, who is back with the team after being cut at the end of camp last year, worked with the outside linebackers today.

• Artie Burns has some feistiness to him. He closed hard on a deep ball to Heyward-Bey and knocked the ball out of his hands.

Later, he chased a running back 50 yards downfield to strip the ball loose.

• Today was Ryan Harris’ turn to run with the first team at left tackle.

It appears the Steelers will rotate Harris with Alejandro Villanueva on a daily basis. We’ll see if that holds up once they start playing preseason games.

• Thus far, Senquez Golson has been the third corner when the Steelers go to a nickel package.

• Mike Tomlin gave Markus Wheaton some time off today, which allowed some of the younger receivers to get additional work. Eli Rodgers got plenty of looks in the slot.

Well the message should be...if the whole thing is Bell's fault give him the four game suspension.....if it is not his fault then give him zero games. **** you Goodell and you leeway.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/07/training-camp-diary-day-two-2/

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Such a small body of work, I was disappointed. We could have done a better job reporting..........

I think they did a little bit on each of at least three programs. I saw an Ike Taylor @ Steelers camp on the 6 pm show, an even smaller segment on the 7 pm show and I heard them advertise a spot would be on the 8 pm show.

Ike was Ike, he visited with about 6 or 8 players very briefly, showed Bell catch a couple passes, talked with cool shades a minute, walked some of the campus and went into the locker room to talk a second with Ben, into the whirlpool with Ventrone and even the parking lot to see AB's Rolls. About 5 minutes maybe then the program was off to LA to see the "new Rams".

Last edited:

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Good to see Coates and Burns out there playing hard and making plays.. two guys we will unfortunately need to play "older" than their experience this year..

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...-3rd-practice-live-blog-day-three-highlights/

First day in pads. Alot of good reports. Check them out.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...-3rd-practice-live-blog-day-three-highlights/

First day in pads. Alot of good reports. Check them out.

Keep them coming, thank you...........

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Alex Kozora @Alex_Kozora
Hargrave very successful in one on ones. Beat Hubbard on a nasty swim move.

get at it !

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Beyond suspension concerns, Steelers pleased with Bell's recovery from knee injury
Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell breaks away from Stephon Tuitt during practice at training camp Friday, July 29, 2016, at St. Vincent College in Latrobe. — Chaz Palla | Tribune-ReviewView gallery...
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review
Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell breaks away from Stephon Tuitt during practice at training camp Friday, July 29, 2016, at St. Vincent College in Latrobe.
Mark Kaboly BY MARK KABOLY
Sunday, July 31, 2016, 10:12 a.m.
Updated 8 hours ago
The Steelers surely are concerned with the possibility of not having running back Le'Veon Bell for the first month of the season, and for good reason, as he continues to wait to hear the results of the the appeal of his four-game suspension for violation the NFL's drug policy.

As for being concerned about Bell's surgically repaired knee, there are far fewer worries, and that's been solidified through the first three days of training camp at St. Vincent College.

Bell is less than nine months removed from an ugly knee injury he suffered in November against the Bengals that tore his his MCL and PCL, requiring surgery and keeping him out of the final two months of the season.

Through the early stages of camp, you'd be hard-pressed to tell that Bell is recovering from any injury let alone a severe knee injury. You can lump offensive coordinator Todd Haley into that group of being pleasantly surprised.

Any concern Haley had about the health of Bell's knee lessened dramatically about 10 minutes into the run test on reporting day.

Bell ran his required eight 100-yard gassers with his scheduled first group then turned around a few minutes later and ran eight more with the second group.

Yes, 16 100-yard gassers in less than 30 minutes and ...

“He never walked once,” Haley said. “He's the only one I have ever noticed in my time here to do it. That's was an impressive thing to come out and do.”

Bell has been a full participant during the first two practices and continues to check off boxes in his recovery. Bell took part in 11-on-11 team drills on Friday, which is the first time he's done that since injuring his knee. On Saturday, Bell was jumping and cutting on a significantly wet field with no issues at all.

Bell even took his first hit when Lawrence Timmons bumped him to the ground during a run play. Bell popped up like nothing happened. On Sunday, the Steelers will put the pads on for the first time during camp, which will be yet another milestone for Bell on his road to recovery

“Yeah, knock on wood, he's looking good,” Haley said. “He's worked hard and is a young guy who has been able to bounce back quickly.”

Bell has been a difference-maker when healthy and has quickly ascended to being one of the top running backs in the league despite missing 16 games (including the playoffs) in his short three-year career.

Bell rushed for 1,351 yards and caught 83 passes 854 yards in his only healthy season in 2014. Bell played in only six games last year, but was still able to put up nearly 700 yards of total offense.

Bell's loss would be significant, but, according to Haley, not crushing to an already talented offense.

If Bell is forced to miss any time, Haley said the offense is still in good shape because of DeAngelo Williams. Williams, the veteran who the Steelers signed last year to provide depth at the position, rushed for more than 900 yards and led the NFL with 11 rushing touchdowns in Bell's absence.

“You can't really worry about it,” Haley said of possibly losing Bell. “You have to get all of those guys ready to go. The comforting thing is that we got a year's worth with DeAngelo. He knows us, we know him, we know what he likes and what he is really good at. That's comforting.”

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Steelers training camp inside the ropes: Backs-on-backers drill produces some highlights
Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier beats running Brandon Brown-Dukes in the backs-on-backers drill at training camp Sunday, July 31, 2016, at St. Vincent in Latrobe.
Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier beats running Brandon Brown-Dukes in the backs-on-backers drill at training camp Sunday, July 31, 2016, at St. Vincent in Latrobe.
PHOTO BY CHAZ PALLA | TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Ralph N. Paulk BY RALPH N. PAULK
Sunday, July 31, 2016, 8:12 p.m.
Updated 11 minutes ago
• The action might not have been as thrilling as recent years during the backs-on-backers drill, but linebacker Ryan Shazier played with the pedal floored. He was quick, aggressive and overpowering. He lifted running back Cameron Stingily off his feet, which prompted coach Mike Tomlin to demand a rematch. All that changed was Stingily maintained his footing.

• Linebacker James Harrison has had to work his way into contact drills the past few seasons, but he looked fresh as the Steelers practiced in pads for the first time during camp. The 14-year veteran, likely to share time with Jarvis Jones, showed some speed as he cut down running backDaryl Richardson behind the line of scrimmage.

• Markus Wheaton was far more engaged in practice. The fourth-year receiver didn't take many reps during Saturday's practice, partly because Tomlin wants him to ease into his workouts as he recovers from a quadriceps injury.

• Running back DeAngelo Williams kept insisting Sunday wasn't his birthday. Still, with defensive end Cam Heyward needling him about him turning 35, the crowd at St. Vincent serenaded him. Williams, who is slated to start during the four-game suspension ofLe'Veon Bell, actually celebrated his 33rd birthday in April.

• Safety Shamarko Thomas has some ground to make up in his efforts to compete for the starting job alongside Mike Mitchell. Thomas skipped practice Saturday because of illness, but he looked fit during contact drills. He shot a gap and slammed Brandon Brown-Dukes in the backfield, and followed it by storming through the block of Richardson during a passing drill.

• The competition for the left tackle job began to heat up as incumbent starter Alejandro Villanueva took most of the snaps with the first team ahead of free-agent signee Ryan Harris. Villanueva was particularly physical when he nearly ripped the shirt off the team's first-round pick, cornerback Artie Burns.

• Wide receiver Sammie Coates could do no wrong Saturday as he made one spectacular catch after another. But his bouts with inconsistency and lack of concentration returned Sunday as he dropped two perfectly thrown passes.

• Burns didn't get many chances to square up against All-Pro receiver Antonio Brown. Still, he stood out as he used his speed to keep running backs from turning the corner. Burns was even more impressive during special-teams drills as he looks to cement a job as gunner on punt coverage. For the most part, Burns and safety Sean Davis, the second-round pick, spent plenty of time observing the defense with defensive backs coach Carnell Lake.

Ralph N. Paulk is a Tribune-Review staff writer. Reach him at rpaulk@tribweb.com or via Twitter @RalphPaulk_Trib.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/07/steelers-training-camp-diary-day-three/

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/07/steelers-training-camp-diary-day-three/

9. Demarcus Ayers shows some really impressive explosion to jet away from Sean Davis downfield, making a catch down the sideline.

extremely surprising with his 4.7 40 speed.......

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It's early camp and your going to hear a lot of positives. Let's think positive but also looking forward to middle end of camp as that's when the real things get cooking.

Salute the nation

FordFairLane

Reaction score
extremely surprising with his 4.7 40 speed.......
His highlights don't look like a 4.7 guy. I thought he was a solid third round pick until his 40 so maybe he's quicker on the field than in shorts.

Artie Burns seems to spend a lot of time on the ground...

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
His highlights don't look like a 4.7 guy. I thought he was a solid third round pick until his 40 so maybe he's quicker on the field than in shorts.

as I told coach, he ran at the combine with a injured hand and had to use his off hand on his start. A bad start equals a bad 40 time.....he doesn't have AB's speed, but he is quick and elusive...which is why I am hopeful he finds a spot on this team....

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

Part of this is him falling as he tries to change directions and the other part could be that area of the field. Several guys were slipping in that particular area.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Alex Kozora @Alex_Kozora
Hargrave very successful in one on ones. Beat Hubbard on a nasty swim move.

get at it !

+++, but I'd like to see Hargrave do it vs a non-bubble player.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
as I told coach, he ran at the combine with a injured hand and had to use his off hand on his start. A bad start equals a bad 40 time.....he doesn't have AB's speed, but he is quick and elusive...which is why I am hopeful he finds a spot on this team....

He ran a 4.58 and 4.60 on his pro day. I prefer combine times as almost everyone runs faster on their pro day. I think he goes down easily on contact. I wish the Steelers signed a better return man / 5th WR.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Lighter Jarvis Jones Is Motivated By Cold, Hard Facts Of NFL

Jarvis Jones

BY DAVE BRYAN AUGUST 1, 2016 AT 08:00 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker Jarvis Jones essentially lost $8.4 million this offseason as that’s the amount he stood to earn in 2017 had the organization picked up his fifth-year option. That’s apparently not the only thing Jones lost this offseason as he reportedly dropped 20 pounds as well.

According to Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Jones, the team’s first-round selection in the 2013 NFL Draft, now weighs 250 pounds after weighing 270 pounds last season. It’s reported that he was asked to lose that.

With his fifth-year option not being picked up during the offfseason, Jones has a lot of pressure on him to have a career year as he’s now scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent in 2017. During his talk with the media earlier in the week, Steelers defensive coordinator Keith Butler was asked if Jones is motivated by the team’s decision to not pick up his option year.

“I hope he’s motivated, I mean he should be motivated, that’s the reason we did it,” Butler said in an interview that was aired on Steelers Nation Radio. “We like Jarvis. There’s nothing wrong with putting him in that situation. I’d rather put him in that situation to see how he responds, because in this league, it doesn’t matter who you play and who you are, you’ve got to perform under pressure. If you can’t perform under pressure you won’t be in this league. That is a cold, hard fact of the National Football League and so it’s a cold, hard fact with him just as it is with anybody else. You’ve got to perform and we look for him to perform.”

Butler didn’t stop there when asked about the team’s decision to not pick up Jones’ option year.

“If he had been an All-Pro, been to that dadgum Pro Bowl for three or four years, sure we’d try to get him done and get all of that stuff sewed up. But he hasn’t done that and so he’s going to have to play up to what we expect of him.”

What the Steelers expected from Jones was a lot of sacks but so far the Georgia product has just 5 of them during regular season play since coming into the league after registering 28 during his final two years in college. While Jones has become a competent run defender on the right side of the Steelers defense as a platoon player, he’s still not as good as veteran James Harrison is at setting the edge. It goes without saying that Harrison is also the better pass rusher of the two. Harrison, by the way, is 38 years old. Jones is still only 26.

We’ll see if the dropped weight winds up helping Jones in 2016, but personally I have my doubts it will and especially when it comes to his pass rushing abilities. The Steelers outside linebackers only produced 15 total sacks last season and that number needs to improve by at least 10 in 2016. Should Jones surprise a lot of us and wind up hitting double-digits in quarterback takedowns, his weight will increase next offseason due to his pockets being stuffed with cold, hard cash from another NFL team.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Steelers linebacker Jones under pressure to perform
Steelers linebacker Jarvis Jones goes through drills during practice at training camp Sunday, July 31, 2016, at St. Vincent in Latrobe. — Chaz Palla | Tribune-ReviewView gallery...
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review
Steelers linebacker Jarvis Jones goes through drills during practice at training camp Sunday, July 31, 2016, at St. Vincent in Latrobe.
Mark Kaboly BY MARK KABOLY
Sunday, July 31, 2016, 8:45 p.m.
Updated 11 hours ago
Jarvis Jones thought he needed to get bigger, so he did. He shot up to 270 pounds last year, but it didn't translate to production on the field.

This year, Jones was told to get smaller, so he did. He weighed 250 pounds when the Steelers reported to training camp last week.

This time, he really has no other option but to make the new-look physique translate into what the Steelers thought they were getting when they used the 17th overall pick in the 2013 draft to pick Jones. He's fresh out of chances.

The Steelers decided in April not to pick up the fifth-year option on Jones' rookie contract that would've guaranteed him $8.4 million next year after three nondescript years, allowing him to become a free agent after the season.

It was a strong message to Jones: Either shape up or ship out.

When a team picks up a player's fifth-year option, it is a strong indication it plans to sign him to a long-term extension.

The Steelers signed Cam Heyward to a five-year, $59.25 million deal three months after picking up his option in 2015 and are expected to lock up David DeCastro within the next month.

“I kind of understand the decision, and I kind of knew before it happened anyway,” Jones said. “That's why I wasn't that jacked up about it. I appreciated it. It motivated me.”

If that's the case, mission accomplished.

Steelers defensive coordinator Keith Butler said one of the reasons the team decided not to pick up the option was to motivate the easygoing and well-liked Jones.

“That's the reason why we did it,” Butler said. “We like Jarvis. There is nothing wrong with putting him in that situation. Sure, if he was a Pro Bowler, we would get all the stuff sewn up, but he hasn't done that. I would rather put him in (this) situation to see how he responds.”

Jones hasn't responded well in the past when faced with adversity.

Jones was thrown into the starting role as a rookie but struggled and played sparingly. The next year, a broken wrist derailed what looked like a promising season, and nothing really materialized last season.

Jones played the fewest snaps of the four rotating outside linebackers, including 37-year-old James Harrison. Jones finished with 27 tackles and two sacks in 15 starts. He played only 41 percent of the snaps a season ago.

“In this league, it doesn't matter what you play and who you are, you have to perform under pressure,” Butler said. “If you can't preform under pressure, you aren't going to be in this league. That's a cold, hard fact of the National Football League. It's a cold, hard fact with him.”

Jones has been a disappointment since being selected out of Georgia, where he collected 28 sacks in two years with the Bulldogs. Jones has started 26 of 36 games in three years with the Steelers but has only five sacks.

Jones hasn't had much of an opportunity to shine. In three seasons, Jones has played in only 1,316 snaps, including 455 last year.

Jones always has deflected questions concerning his lack of opportunities with snap counts and opportunities to rush the passer.

“I have to be more productive,” Jones said. “I have to be an all-around better football player, regardless if it is sacks or making plays on special teams. Whatever it is, I have to be productive and make plays. Injuries and whatever it is, those years are gone. I am going to focus on what I can control. It happened, so it is what it is.”

It seems unlikely Jones would return next year. If he has an All-Pro year, he would test the free agency market. If he toils in mediocrity again, the Steelers likely would want to move on.

Either way, Jones remains positive.

“I am taking everything in stride and staying positive and go play some football,” Jones said. “You have to look at the bright side of things, the positive side of things, because at the end of the day it is going to be their decision, not mine.”

Mark Kaboly is a Tribune-Review staff writer. Reach him at mkaboly@tribweb.com or via Twitter @MarkKaboly_Trib.

By the numbers

Jarvis Jones' stats since being drafted in the first round in 2013:

Year GP GS T AT Total Sacks FF Snaps

2013 14 8 32 10 42 1 0 630

2014 7 3 11 4 15 2 1 231

2015 15 15 14 13 27 2 1 455