• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Camp news out of the gates...

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation

By F. Dale Lolley
July 31, 2016
Image description
Associated Press
Linebacker James Harrison stretches during practice Friday at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. Harrison, 38, played 611 snaps in 2015. The Steelers want to cut back on that number.
Image description
LATROBE – While the Pirates still try to figure out their pitching rotation three quarters of the way through their season, the Steelers are hoping to scrap the one they used last year.

Pittsburgh rotated outside linebackers Jarvis Jones, Bud Dupree, James Harrison and Arthur Moats, though it wasn’t always an even split.

On the left side, the veteran Moats and rookie Bud Dupree split time almost evenly despite Moats starting 11 games and Dupree five.

On the other side, however, it was Harrison playing 55 percent of the snaps and leading the Steelers’ linebackers in playing time despite Jones starting 15 of the 16 games.

That could change.

Outside linebackers coach Joey Porter said Sunday the Steelers have high expectations for Jones and Dupree, who opened training camp at Saint Vincent College as the starters.

“I don’t think the rotation will be what it was,” Porter said. “If (Jones and Dupree) are going to play like we think they can, I’m going to play the hot hand.”

Part of the issue is age. At 38, Harrison, a former NFL Defensive Player of the Year, can’t be counted on to handle the 611 snaps he played last season. The Steelers want to scale back that number.

“I hope he’s got a Super Bowl left in him. I hope that,” defensive coordinator Keith Butler said. “He can help us just by his work ethic and what he does on the field. He’s going to help us rest those guys now and then. We’ll see.”

The Steelers selected Jones and Dupree as first-round draft picks in 2013 and 2015, respectively, to become starters if not stars. And they believe the time has come for them to pay dividends.

“Those two are the future,” Porter said. “The rotation came from the fact we have to get some production some way. If those guys get hot, those guys are our starters. You can’t justify taking anybody off the field if they’re hot. It just doesn’t make any sense.”

Unfortunately for the Steelers, none of the foursome got hot for an extended period of time last season.

Harrison led the group with five sacks, but three came in one game against Indianapolis. Moats and Dupree each had four sacks and Jones had two.

The combined 15 sacks aren’t what the Steelers are accustomed to getting out of their outside linebackers. But the Steelers believe Dupree could be primed for a big season in his second year and Jones should be highly motivated after the team declined to pick up his fifth-year option in the offseason, meaning he’ll be a free agent at the conclusion of this year.

“I hope he’s motivated. He should be motivated,” Butler said. “That’s the reason we did it. We like Jarvis. There’s nothing wrong with putting him in that situation. I’d rather put him in that situation and see how he responds, because in this league you’ve got to perform under pressure. That’s a cold, hard fact of the NFL. It’s a cold, hard fact with him, just like anybody else. You’ve got to perform.”

Jones battled injuries in his first three seasons. If the Steelers don’t see the improvement they desire, then it could be time to let him move on.

Porter, a former Pro Bowl outside linebacker, doesn’t see that happening.

“I really think he is a good player,” Porter said. “When I read some of the comments (about him), I’m like, do I just like him that much? It’s just the stuff I see in practice, so I know it’s there. If he goes off for double digits (in sacks), I know it’s going to shock y’all, but I’ve been seeing since I came here.

“I’ve just got to get that guy healthy. When he makes the plays that I see him make every day, I’m not going to hit y’all with ‘I told you so,’ but I’m going to say I told you so. I just think he has that potential.”

Odds and end zones
Inside linebacker Ryan Shazier dominated the first day of practice in pads, looking unblockable in pass-rushing drills against the running backs and tight ends and setting the tone with some hard tackles in 11-on-11 drills. … Fullback Roosevelt Nix and running back Brandon Johnson each suffered blows to the head and had to leave practice. They are being evaluated for concussions. Tight end Xavier Grimble left practice for the second time in three days with heat exhaustion. … Wide receiver Antonio Brown said after practice that his agent contacted the Steelers regarding a possible contract extension. Brown, who has two years remaining on his current contract, said holding out was not an option. General manager Kevin Colbert said Friday the Steelers won’t negotiate a new deal for a non-quarterback with more than a year remaining on a contract. … The Steelers will practice at 2:55 p.m. Monday. It is open to the public.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Jarvis weighed 270 last year? He certainly didn't look it. Not sure losing weight will help him since he couldn't really hold his own against linemen.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
He ran a 4.58 and 4.60 on his pro day. I prefer combine times as almost everyone runs faster on their pro day. I think he goes down easily on contact. I wish the Steelers signed a better return man / 5th WR.

sure stick with a time you know is wrong due to his injury...makes perfect sense

you "think", but you are wrong....

until you see him in live action against NFL competition, you don't have any idea how good of a return man they have.....

hester would not be better than Brown...and unless Ayers or one of the others is better, Brown should return punts

Last edited:
P

POP

Jarvis weighed 270 last year? He certainly didn't look it. Not sure losing weight will help him since he couldn't really hold his own against linemen.

Jones did not weigh 270 last year. Who is saying that? No way.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Against Davis........who couldn't cover a pillow with a blanket.

he also beat Burns later in the drill

Burns has excellent coverage on Ayers, rookie on rookie, but Ayers makes a great diving play as he works back on his comeback. Impressive rep all around.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Jones did not weigh 270 last year. Who is saying that? No way.

maybe the dreadlocks grew and added those 20 pounds

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Looks like Golson has an ankle

Chris Adamski ✔ @C_AdamskiTrib
Senquez Golson down in pain with what appears to be a right ankle injury. Being examined now; can't put much weight on it.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...p-4th-practice-live-blog-day-four-highlights/

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Gonna have to bubble wrap Golson. Hope its just a an ankle sprain.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Chris Bradford ‏@BCTBradford
McCullers in coverage on Brown-Dukes is quite the contrast

Chris Bradford
32m32 minutes ago
Sean Davis taking Golson's spot in slot with 1s

Chris Bradford
45m45 minutes ago
Golson has had no luck w/health. Had been working w/1s as slot CB

Chris Bradford
47m47 minutes ago
Appears to be right ankle, knee w/ Golson, who is still fuming as he's carted off. #Steelers

Chris Bradford
50m50 minutes ago
Golson shaken up, tosses helmet. Limping around. Goes to ground, trainers attending

Chris Bradford
1h1 hour ago
Offense scores on 5 in 7 shots. 7 to 84 2x, one to Nix, Grimble. Gradkowski threw a Pick Chick(illo)

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Adam Crowley ‏@adamcrowleySNR
Le'Veon Bell just faked to the sideline and cut back to the inside. He's healthy.

Adam Crowley
37m37 minutes ago
Grimble just made a catch in traffic. Looks pretty good when he's on the field.

Adam Crowley retweeted
James C Wexell
43m43 minutes ago
James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell
Sean Davis the slot CB. A 3-safety nickel that was used extensively in spring after Golson inured that time.

Adam Crowley
58m58 minutes ago
@Thomas_Anthony8 bastardo

Adam Crowley
59m59 minutes ago
Golson ripped off his jersey in disgust. He's now being carted off.

Adam Crowley
1h1 hour ago
Trainers working on Golson who is now on the ground.

Adam Crowley
1h1 hour ago
Senquez Golson limps off the field and slams his helmet to the ground.

Adam Crowley
1h1 hour ago
@badfish239 special teams. But Porter mentioned him as part of the "future."

Adam Crowley
1h1 hour ago
Gradkowski had pass picked by Chickillo in 7-shots. Then almost had TD pass to Rogers jumped.

Adam Crowley
1h1 hour ago
Roethlisberger out here slinging it after not throwing yesterday.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Ray Fittipaldo ‏@rayfitt1
Hargrave impressive for second day in a row in 1-1 pass rush drills. Beat Cody Wallace twice, once with speed and once with inside power.

Ray Fittipaldo ‏@rayfitt1
Hargrave in there with the 1s in base to open this 11 on 11 period

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/08/steelers-training-camp-diary-day-four/

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
TRAINING CAMP TOUR: ANTONIO BROWN, STEELERS’ RECEIVING DEPTH IMPRESSING
PFF ANALYSIS TEAM
23 HOURS AGO

Free Fantasy Gold Fanduel Offer
On Day 5 of the Pro Football Focus training camp tour, the PFF analysis team traveled to Latrobe, Pa., to take in Pittsburgh Steelers camp.

LATROBE, Pa. – Continuing the PFF training camp tour, our team of analysts rolled into Steelers camp on Sunday to witness Pittsburgh’s first padded practice of the year. The Steelers hold their camp at Saint Vincent College; the campus provides an idyllic backdrop for the practices and a fantastic setting for both fans and media to watch.

[More: Get the full PFF training camp tour schedule here.]

Antonio Brown showing elite flashes early in camp
This is hardly breaking news, but Antonio Brown’s greatness doesn’t diminish when seen in the flesh; if anything, it’s only enhanced. A normal-sized human being in a league of super athletes, Brown has the ability to make quick movements in small spaces that blow him wide open in routes and make defenders miss after the catch. Brown made multiple ridiculous catches in the course of practice, schooled first-round rookie cornerback Artie Burns (University of Miami) for a deep touchdown in one-on-one drills, and generally looked to be on a completely different level than anybody else on the field—which he is.

Last season, Brown was the best receiver in football, despite missing QB Ben Roethlisberger for multiple games. With Big Ben taking a veteran day on Sunday, the PFF crew had the chance to see the rest of the Steelers’ depth chart target Brown and maximize his impact. Landry Jones, in particular, connected with a couple of nice passes to Brown, producing the kind of throws he’ll need to make if Roethlisberger is injured again this season.

Physicality of Steelers camp notable
Pittsburgh’s physicality in camp is impressive compared to other teams each year, and that proved true again on Sunday, with some big hits coming from multiple players on defense. Linebacker Ryan Shazier seemed particularly pumped to be let off the leash for the first time this offseason, and was flying around both individual and team drills like a guided missile to deliver some big hits. The D-line was in on the action, as well, in 11-on-11 drills, and rookie linebacker Tyler Matakevich showed the same nose for the football as he did at Temple, stuffing several run plays with nice tackles.

All in all, this is one of the most physically-intense team practices you will see, and that is likely a big part of the team’s consistent success, despite at times fielding personnel that doesn’t look like it should be as successful as it is.

Young receivers impressing
If the receiving corps in Cleveland Browns camp was underwhelming, the group in Steelers camp was consistently impressive. Half a dozen of the wideouts in Sunday’s practice would have been the best performer in Cleveland’s camp the day before, and they kept coming up with excellent catches and big plays, despite good coverage at times from the defensive backs and less-than-ideal ball placement from the quarterbacks. Demarcus Ayers, in particular, was consistently getting open, despite very pedestrian athletic measurables. Those were enough to drop the University of Houston product to the seventh-round, but much like Antonio Brown—himself a former sixth-round draft pick—Ayers looks to have a knack for making quick, sharp moves that make up for that lack of overall athletic prowess. Also like Brown, he impressed with good hands, making one especially-impressive diving sideline catch during one-on-one drills.

Levi Norwood and rookie Canaan Severin (Virginia), in particular, also impressed with multiple good reps during one-on-one drills.

[More: Access PFF’s 2016 season preview for the Pittsburgh Steelers here.]

Other camp notes:
– QB Ben Roethlisberger wasn’t practicing, but he was out on the field putting in work as almost an auxiliary coach, even playing linebacker during some TE drills to distract the receivers as the pass was thrown. He also worked with the receivers, talking them up after big plays and coaching up some of the route running.

– Rookie CB Artie Burns (University of Miami) was victimized by Antonio Brown—but so was nearly every cornerback Brown came across last season, so there’s not necessarily any shame in that. Burns still looked a little uncomfortable in off-coverage, and has a way to go before he finds himself with the first-team defense.

– OT Alejandro Villanueva deserves a special mention for stoning a solid bull-rush attempt from James Harrison, who got right into the big tackle’s pads and has a natural leverage advantage of close to an entire foot in height and center of gravity.

– Rookie edge rusher Travis Feeney (Washington) had some very nice reps in pass-rushing drills against the offensive linemen. With both Bud Dupree (who looked more lively himself) and Jarvis Jones underwhelming starters last season, Feeney could find himself a niche situational-rushing role as a rookie with more performances like that.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Let's talk: Steelers' offense enters Big Ben crash course in communication
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Email
comment
6:58 PM ET
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer
LATROBE, Pa. -- Eli Rogers burst off the line, prepared for the Pittsburgh Steelers’ "adjusting on the run" offense. That means QB Ben Roethlisberger and his receivers must determine midroute whether the defense has switched to man or zone after the snap.

Roethlisberger blurts out "man," so Rogers cuts across the field and finds an open space. Roethlisberger throws to Rogers’ far left, "where only I could catch it," the receiver says, resulting in a diving grab that drew a reaction from the crowd at Chuck Noll Field.

But even after great plays, receivers will usually hear something from Roethlisberger right after the play.

"If my angles are off a little bit, [Roethlisberger] will definitely let me know if I need to come down in a 45-degree angle," said Rogers, who is competing for reps in the slot.

Ben Roethlisberger tells his receivers exactly what he wants them to do. AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar
Every degree counts.

The constant chatter exemplifies why the Steelers feel they can manufacture enough on-field chemistry to offset looming personnel losses. The Steelers are out a No. 2 receiver (Martavis Bryant, suspended), a starting tight end (Ladarius Green, physically unable to perform list) and potentially a star running back (Le'Veon Bell, who has appealed his four-game league suspension). Second-year playmakers Sammie Coates and Jesse James combined for nine regular-season catches last year but must play pivotal roles now.

This time of year, Roethlisberger relies on a learning method that basically skips the step of the film room. Before, during and after every throw in early practice sessions, Roethlisberger is talking with his receivers, as if film study is happening in the moment.

This is not a new concept, but Roethlisberger really works this angle.

Roethlisberger says the 2016 Steelers must be a “selfless” team, but when it comes to route precision, he's at his most selfish, by design.

"They are hearing it right from me, and I'm telling them exactly what I want and how I want it," Roethlisberger said. "Coaches can tell them to run a route like this, but it's what I need, it's what I want. You talk to [QB backups] Bruce [Gradkowski] or Landry [Jones], they will even tell guys, you better ask Ben what he wants because that's what matters most."

And he wants it now, not in the film room five hours later. The film element is crucial, of course, but Roethlisberger believes the minds of his playmakers are freshest in the moment.

On Friday, Roethlisberger was driving the ball with authority, then chatting, and chatting some more about what just happened. Lots of hand movements, too, as a way to simulate route running.

Rogers likes it that way.

"The only way you can learn is by messing up," he said.

Roethlisberger hopes the constant reminders result in big plays months later. Roethlisberger recalls a play with Antonio Brown that the two just couldn't get right in practices. The play requires Brown to "wait to get my eyes before he makes a move," Roethlisberger said. Brown was just a little too early on his move. But after hundreds of reps, the play, which Roethlisberger won't disclose, resulted in two touchdowns.

The chemistry Roethlisberger has with Brown is difficult to replicate, and the QB knows it.

"I'm not going to be able to give Jesse James a look," Roethlisberger said. "But you hope to develop that at some point. You've just got to get used to each other."

Roethlisberger said he has grown in offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s offense to the point that he knows each player's move "down to the smallest of steps."

Everyone else must follow along. Coates, who displayed dazzling playmaking Saturday, is having an easier time with that process in Year 2.

"You're not going to know it until you get here," Coates said.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Steelers Insider: Berry seeks consistency in game; Shazier dominating
By Chris Bradford Times Steelers Writer 13 hrs ago 0
Steelers punter Jordan Berry
Lucy Schaly/The Times
Punter Jordan Berry gets of kick against Arizona on Oct. 18 at Heinz Field.
LATROBE -- Jordan Berry says if he can do his job consistently, the Australian feels he’ll be the Steelers’ punter once again in 2016. Also, he might want to avoid the Denver Broncos.

It’s not because Berry, then a rookie, had a particularly rough outing in the Steelers’ playoff loss against the Super Bowl 50 champions. It’s because he dislocated his shoulder and tore his labrum twice -- in two different games -- against the them.

“I tried to tackle someone and it didn’t turn out too well,” said Berry, who had previously played for Eastern Kentucky, a NCAA FCS or I-AA program. “Tore my labrum up and it wasn’t going too well there. And I did it again a second time in the playoff game on the first play and, yeah, it was pretty messed up.

“A little bit different than those double-A returners. Those guy are a little easier to tackle.”

Following offseason shoulder surgery, Berry is back to 100 percent as he tries to fend off Will Monday, the challenger for his job.

Typically, tackling is not something you’ll ever see punters working on in training camp but Berry, who has a background in Australian Rules Football, jokes that he might have to tighten up on his technique. Of course, he hopes to never have to use it. But if it means preventing Jordan Norwood, Omar Bolden or anyone else from getting to the end zone, it’s a price he’s willing to pay again.

“It’s part of the game, I have to tackle people,” the 6-foot-5, 195-pound Berry said. “I have to make sure I get a good punt off first and get that fair catch and it won’t happen.”

Berry had plenty of good punts last season. He tied the Steelers’ single-season record with a 39.1 net average and landed 47.5 percent of his punts inside the 20, another franchise mark.

Berry averaged just 39.6 yards on six punts in the AFC Divisional Round playoff but says the windy conditions in Denver hindered him more than his shoulder. This season he says he needs to prove he can be consistent.

“Last year I had some good balls, but every now and then I hit one of those shaky, 38-39 yard balls that I don’t want to have,” he said. “As long as I can keep in that 40-50 yards range with the hang time that I can get, we definitely won’t have any problems.”

At this time last year, Berry was in the same position that Monday is now. Berry unseated the incumbent Brad Wing, who was traded to the New York Giants prior to the season. Given the Steelers’ high turnover rate at the punting position in recent years, Berry is well aware he must perform.

“It’s the NFL,” Berry said. “If he comes in here and performs better than me, he’s going to get the job. If I go out there and do my best, I’ll be fine. But we’ll see. It’s the NFL.”

NOTEWORTHY

* Ryan Shazier put on a clinic Sunday afternoon in practice, both in backs on backers and in team drills. If he showed anyone up in the process, well, no hard feelings. “I’m not trying to make any statement,” Shazier said. “I’m just trying to get better every day. If it looks like I’m dominating, I’m not trying to embarrass the guys in front of me, I’m just trying to make sure I’m getting better.” The 2014 first rounder’s athleticism is off the charts. If healthy, which has been a problem, Shazier could be an All-Pro. He plays with a fire that he says is tough to explain. “Sometimes I just walk around I’m like, dang, I did that?” he said. “Sometimes I don’t even notice what I’m doing. I’m a major competitor and I hate losing. I’m going to do whatever I have to do to win. It doesn’t matter what it is.”

* Brandon Brown-Dukes has received a new nickname from Mike Tomlin. This time, it’s simple: B. Suppose it beats Hyphenated and Mercyhurst, right? “That’s fine by me,” Brown-Dukes said. “Whatever they want to call me. As long as every day I can put that jersey back on and practice, I’m fine with it.” Brown-Dukes made a name for himself, no pun intended, by acquitting himself well in the backs on backers drill. Of the running backs vying for a roster spot, the 5-foot-8, 200 pounder may have fared best. “I feel like I held my own,” he said. “It’s rough. I’m a lighter guy, (a) shorter, smaller guy. I have leverage but these guys are stronger, faster and heavier than I am. I just have to sacrifice myself.” While the diminutive running back from D-II Mercyhurst makes for a good story, Brown-Dukes doesn’t believe he’s that much of an underdog. “I was told I was here for a reason and that’s because they think I’m capable of doing what they think I can do,” he said. “So, yeah, I think it’s a legitimate opportunity.”

* Xavier Grimble’s bigger problem hasn’t been holding onto the ball or missing an assignment, it’s been simply staying on the field. Grimble left the previous two days of practice due to cramping. Not exactly the way to earn a roster spot when there are tight end positions to be won. “Definitely frustrating,” he said. “It’s holding me back from doing what I can do and what I wanted to be able to show. But it’s my job as a professional to correct that, adjust to it and move on.” The 6-4, 261-pounder doesn’t want to make excuses but said he’s not accustomed to the humidity that has enveloped muggy Latrobe. Grimble played college ball at Southern Cal and grew up in Las Vegas where temperatures can reach 110-115. “There’s no humidity though, it’s dry,” he said. “But here it’s a little less heat but a lot of humidity and I’m a big sweat guy. It’s taken it out of me a little bit. But ill figure it out.”

* The Steelers are off Tuesday but return to practice Wednesday.

BEHIND THE ROPES

Observations from Monday’s practice:

* A day after being given a maintenance day, Ben Roethisberger was back and it showed. The offense converted on five attempts in seven shots. Roethlisberger twice connected with WR Antonio Brown in the end zone and once each to FB Roosevelt Nix and TE Xavier Grimble.

“I thought we felt the effects of his presence,” Mike Tomlin said of the QB.

* LB Anthony Chickillo picked off a Bruce Gradkowski floater in seven shots. Call it a Pick Chick.

* First-round pick Artie Burns was burned badly by Brown in individual drills, with the All-Pro receiver juking and high-stepping past the rookie. Later, Burns was beaten by WR Darrius Heyward-Bey on a deep Roethlisberger throw down the left sideline.

* As the crowd oohed and ahhed at the highlights on Chuck Noll Field, Tomlin watched his tight ends in blocking drills against the outside linebackers.

* During the second team period, Le’Veon Bell broke a run, faking toward the outside, before cutting sharply to the inside. Yes, the knee looks good.

* Starting defensive ends Cam Heyward and Stephon Tuitt had a relatively light day as Tomlin got an extended look at his options.

* For the second day in a row, Javon Hargrave impressed. The rookie twice put C/G Cody Wallace on skates in pass rushing drills.

* Grimble had an easy drop in 7-on-7 and Roethlisberger was immediately in his ear.

* Ryan Shazier and Lawrence Timmons did wind sprints after practice while Markus Wheaton worked on the Juggs machine. Says a lot about the veterans. Hard to believe, but Shazier is now a vet.

INJURY REPORT

* CB Senquez Golson (midfoot) was to be evaluated later Monday.

* LB James Harrison (ankle) is not considered serious.

* TE Mandel Dixon (head) was being evaluated.

* LB Jarvis Jones was out with an illness.

QUOTEWORTHY

“I think it just takes time. It takes a while for you to trust your wife, right?”

-- Ryan Shazier, linebacker, on coaches having more trust in him. Sorry girls, the 23-year old is engaged.

BY THE NUMBERS

244: Dollars, the median ticket price for a Steelers home game. That is the sixth highest median ticket price on the secondary market, according to Vivid Seats. The teams ahead of them are Seattle ($398), New England ($351), Denver ($335), Green Bay ($294) and Chicago ($275).

Steelerfan

Reaction score
Physicality of Steelers camp notable
Pittsburgh’s physicality in camp is impressive compared to other teams each year, and that proved true again on Sunday, with some big hits coming from multiple players on defense

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, say it isn't so. This will bite us in the *** come playoff time, according to some folks.

/sarcasm

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
AUG. 2, 2016

Steelers Camp: Getting Younger, Hitting Harder

In Latrobe, a roster showing more youth is practicing with a rare ferocity—signs of a commitment to push for another ring before Ben Roethlisberger’s window closes
by Albert Breer

Breer's three Steelers camp takeaways
The MMQB's Albert Breer stopped by the Pittsburgh Steelers' camp and shares his three thoughts from the visit.
LATROBE, Pa.—The Steelers were still in stretching lines on Monday afternoon when the players broke into song, and the chorus of “Happy Birthday” was thick enough for the fans on the hillside at St. Vincent College to join in.
Cut DeAngelo Williams a break, if he was a little embarrassed. It wasn’t actually his birthday, but his teammates have been belting that out to him every day to remind him he’s 33, old by NFL standards and ancient for a tailback. And you should understand too if the Steelers brass smiled at the sight.
No longer is seeing a player of that age so common around here.
The ripping-off-of-the-Band-Aid—moving away from the core that went to three Super Bowls and won two between 2006 and ’10—hasn’t been painless, but the process now is nearing completion. What’s left is to figure out whether the current nucleus, which still has some growing to do, can come close to the accomplishments of its predecessor.
• KING’S MMQB: Doug Pederson’s test, Andrew Luck’s footwork, the Patriots’ purpose, more from the first week of camps
“There were just years we weren’t good enough,” GM Kevin Colbert said before Tuesday’s workout, on a perch above the fields. “Whether we were too young or the replacements weren’t ready, I’m not sure. It’s really a combination of everything that goes into why you have those dips. It was a dip, but it wasn’t a valley. You never want to get to the point where we totally bottom out to have to rebuild it.”
The Steelers didn’t. And it’s at least starting to feel like they’re close to being back.

Seven players remain from the 2010 AFC title team, and only five of those guys are projected to start the opener on Sept. 11. Only five players are left from Pittsburgh’s last Super Bowl champion, and two of those (James Harrison, William Gay) left and came back.
These aren’t your older brother’s Steelers. Nineteen of the 22 projected starters haven’t turned 30 yet. Most were part of playoff teams the last two Januarys, and many were around for Pittsburgh’s idea of a downturn—back-to-back 8-8 seasons that followed the aforementioned run of dominance.
“I feel like we went through that transition phase of kind of having a group of older guys—we still had quite a few of them—and some young guys came in and we were teaching them,” now-34-year-old quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. “And then the older guys started cycling out a bit. And the younger guys start to become a little older. I do, I really feel good about where we are now as a team.”
• THE MMQB CAMP REPORTS: Bills | Eagles | Patriots | Giants | Colts | Jets | Packers
And that’s mainly because, for the first time in a while, the Steelers are ascending. The front seven is stocked with young high draft picks. The secondary will be relying on rookies. Everyone knows what the offense can do, even without Le’Veon Bell, presumably, until mid-October and Martavis Bryant for the whole season.
Mike Tomlin, in his 10th year, didn’t want to assess the fallout following all that turnover after practice—“I’m not trying to tell a story over the course of multiple years, I’m trying to get this team ready to play this year”—but it’s abundantly clear how much has changed.
Ben Roethlisberger.
Photo: Gene J. Puskar/AP
Ben Roethlisberger.

That’s fortunate, too, given where the Steelers are with Roethlisberger. His football mortality is slowly becoming a talking point, and while Colbert and Co. are adamant that the shrinking window to win a third title with him has no effect on how they build the team, everyone is also aware that Pittsburgh won’t have him around forever.
“We still think there’s still a nice size window for him—three, four, five years, knock on wood with health, obviously,” Colbert said. “But no, there’s no changing of the philosophy, based on any of that. We just continue to try to surround him with good players the way that we always go about it, with the draft and free agency here and there. But no different approach whatsoever.”

Likewise, Roethlisberger added, “I’m pretty sure I have less days ahead than I’ve had in the past. I’m pretty sure of that. I take the mentality and the approach that if I look for how many I have left in the future that I’m cheating the here and now. I don’t think that’s fair. I think this game, as we all know, you’re one play away. Tomorrow could be my last day playing football. You never know.”
The good news for the quarterback is that the team once again looks to be championship-ready and, even better, the heart of the roster is young enough to make you think that Roethlisberger’s gonna get more than one good shot at a third ring.
And that should give everyone here plenty to sing about for years to come.
Preparing to get physical in Latrobe.
Preparing to get physical in Latrobe.

FIVE THINGS I THOUGHT ABOUT STEELERS CAMP
1. There doesn’t seem to be much concern over the looming suspensions. I asked Colbert if the troubles of Bell and Bryant have caused him to reevaluate how they do business in Pittsburgh, and his answer was an emphatic no. “Not at all,” he said. “Look, we try to do as much due diligence as we can, but you never really know a player until you get him in your building and issues bubble to the surface. Sometimes there’s evidence to that effect, sometimes there isn’t. But we’ve had very few incidents through the tenure that I’ve been here. Nobody’s perfect, but we try to investigate and know as much as we can about players, and for the most part everything is good.” So I followed up on whether or not he’s angry about the situation, given that the players have put the team in this situation, and he dismissed that, too. “No, because we’ll survive it,” he said. “I feel for a player that puts himself in jeopardy of losing a shot at this. There’s no reason for it. The organization, our team, the 2016 team, we’ll rise above. But I worry about the individual player, and hope they’ll save their own careers.” Suffice it to say, the Steelers are putting up a strong front. And showing confidence in their ability to replace those two.
• BENOIT’S TEAM SCOUTING: Broncos | 49ers | Rams | Seahawks | Cardinals
2. Haley’s shot should be coming. Todd Haley’s predecessor in Pittsburgh, Bruce Arians, has rightfully gotten a lot of attention for a late-career surge. Sometimes it’s lost that the Steelers haven’t fallen off much since Arians left, thanks to Haley’s work. Pittsburgh ranked second in the NFL in total offense in 2014, and third last year, despite playing for stretches without Roethlisberger, Bell, Bryant, and linemen Maurkice Pouncey and Kelvin Beachum. On paper, it’d look like it might be time for Haley to get a second shot at being a head coach. But he says he’s not thinking about it. “I never even thought that was a possibility,” Haley says. “I’m proud of my time that I had as a head coach. At the same time, I’m with the best organization in football in my opinion. I’m with great people, I’ve got a great head coach and boss that I work for, and I’m in a place that means a lot to me. I’m not saying it’s something I’d never do, but it’s not something I’m worried about or thinking about.” If the Steeler machine keeps steamrolling defenses, it’d make sense for someone to kick the tires here.
Coates, in his second year, says he’ll be more attuned to the Steelers attack; he’ll have to be with Martavis Bryant suspended.
Coates, in his second year, says he’ll be more attuned to the Steelers attack; he’ll have to be with Martavis Bryant suspended.

3. Sammie Coates is next in line. I wrote in June about the coaches’ excitement over the development of second-year receiver Sammie Coates, and nothing I saw on Monday would temper what I was thinking coming into Latrobe. Coates told me before practice that last year was tough, coming from Auburn’s spread into the pros. But the coaches here saw him turn a corner last December, and he hasn’t looked back since. “It’s not just that [the Auburn offense is] simple, it’s more that there were concepts,” Coates said. “We had it like, ‘If they do this, we do that.’ It was a fast-paced offense, so you gotta know what to do, so if they line up in this, we go. You just knew what you were gonna do. … It’s way different.” As Steelers coaches will tell you, Coates has been in the building as much as anyone since the Super Bowl in an effort to make up the difference. Months later, he’s flashing potential to have the Steelers thinking losing Bryant might hurt a little less than expected. And the 6’2”, 213-pound Coates brings attitude and size to the receiver group. “He’s a very physical guy,” said Roethlisberger. “And we’re gonna ask him to [be physical]. We’re gonna ask him to do some blocking stuff. We’re gonna ask him to stick his nose in there and do some of the things we’d expect a guy of his size and caliber to do.”
•FANTASY FOOTBALL RANKINGS: QB | RB | WR | TE
4. Defensive backs could be the difference between good and great here. While the front seven may not be what the 2006 or ’08 groups were, there’s confidence in the building it’ll be plenty good to work with. The big question on the roster is in the secondary. Even those in charge can concede that the season may swing on how quickly improvement comes there. “I think it will,” Colbert said. “And we knew that going in. Fortunately this was a year where you could do something about it, because it was very defensive back-friendly in the draft.” And the Steelers did do something about it, drafting corner Artie Burns in the first round and corner-turned safety Sean Davis in Round 2, to pair with 2015 second-round pick Senquez Golson. It’s been a while since the Steelers have been elite on the back end. They won’t need to be in 2016, either. But everyone here knows the group has to get better.
• FOLLOW THE TRAINING CAMP TOUR: Twitter | Instagram | Snapchat: themmqb
5. The Steelers beat the stuffing out of one another. Monday’s afternoon practice was the most physical one I’ve seen in a few years, and probably one of the five or six most violent NFL practices I’ve been to. Tomlin told me that, in an era when everyone’s going the other direction, he simply believes this is right way to get a team ready. “It’s a necessary part of the team-building process for us,” he said. “We don’t spend a lot of time worrying about what others do, we want to have a winning edge. Physicality is still as much a part of the game of football as it’s always been, from my perspective. That’s why we take our approach to team building. We got 90 guys out there, many of which are new; we’re trying to evaluate them. When you play with that level of intensity, and tackling at times, it eliminates a lot of speculation and provides clarity.” Haley told me after the workout that the practices he’s been involved in here are the most physical he’s ever been a part of, and he coached under Bill Parcells in both New York and Dallas. “My first year, I was like, ‘What the heck?’ There was a difference,” he said. “That’s something Mike and the veterans on the team create. I think it’s great. … No disrespect to real battle, but they’re going into a 16-game or more battle, and the only way to physically prepare yourself, it’s through having some practices like this. That’s an issue with the CBA, you’re gonna get more guys hurt when you don’t prepare them like this, because you gotta get your body ready. In the offseason, it’s about conditioning and building your strength, but you gotta go through this process.” There are plenty of people in the NFL who agree with the sentiment. But I can say first-hand, very few actually still operate the way the Steelers do, which probably says something considering Pittsburgh is among the NFL’s steadiest franchises

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Make up of it what you will.

Steelers’ Statistical Training Camp Recap: First Four Practices

SteelersTrainingCampDay4-3445

BY ALEX KOZORA AUGUST 3, 2016 AT 08:30 AM
Some fun book-keeping we’ve been doing for the last two years. I don’t use this as gospel, bare numbers give little context, but we go back and look at my training camp notes and compile completions/attempts, carries, and receivers/targets. Just to be able to put a number to things and help identify and trends throughout camp. We’ll continue to update the numbers after every off day.

Keep in mind that not all the numbers will match up because occasionally, I don’t have a record of a targeted receiver or quarterback. I’m aware there is a minor discrepancy.

Quarterback:

Landry Jones: 28/45 (62.2%) 5 TDs 0 INTs
Ben Roethlisberger: 32/44 (72.7%) 8 TDs 0 INTs
Dustin Vaughan: 21/35 (60%) 0 TDs 1 INT
Bruce Gradkowski: 16/24 (66.7%) 1 TD 1 INT

Running Back Carries:

Fitzgerald Toussaint: 17
Brandon Brown-Dukes: 16
Daryl Richardson: 13
Le’Veon Bell: 11
Cameron Stingily: 8
DeAngelo Williams: 7
Brandon Johnson: 4
Roosevelt Nix: 2
Christian Powell: 2
Antonio Brown: 1
Bruce Gradkowski: 1
Darrius Heyward-Bey: 1
Ben Roethlisberger: 1

Wide Reciever Catches-Targets-Touchdowns

Antonio Brown: 15-21-4
Sammie Coates: 7-12-0
Le’Veon Bell: 7-10-1
Xavier Grimble: 7-10-1
Levi Norwood: 6-10-2
Daryl Richardson: 10-10-0
Eli Rogers: 8-10-1
Marcus Tucker: 2-8-0
Jesse James: 5-7-0
Darrius Heyward-Bey: 4-6-0
Roosevelt Nix: 6-6-2
Markus Wheaton: 2-6-1
DeAngelo Williams: 3-6-0
Brandon Brown-Dukes: 5-5-0
Paul Lang: 3-4-1
Issac Blakeney: 2-4-0
David Johnson: 3-3-1
Fitzgerald Toussaint: 3-3-0
Demarcus Ayers: 0-2-0
Cameron Stingily: 0-2-0
Christian Powell: 1-1-0
Brandon Johnson: 0-1-0
Canaan Severin: 0-0-0

Drops:

Markus Wheaton: 3
Marcus Tucker: 2
DeAngelo Williams: 2
Sammie Coates: 1
Xavier Grimble: 1

Interceptions:

Anthony Chickillo: 1
L.J. Fort: 1

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Landry Jones: 28/45 (62.2%) 5 TDs 0 INTs
Ben Roethlisberger: 32/44 (72.7%) 8 TDs 0 INTs
Dustin Vaughan: 21/35 (60%) 0 TDs 1 INT
Bruce Gradkowski: 16/24 (66.7%) 1 TD 1 INT

Landry Jones is 5td's 0 ints? While I know you can't hit the QB during practice, this is a bit alarming to me. Either he's improved greatly or our DB's just aren't making plays.

In NFL games, Landry Jones is very shaky. Our coverage players outside of Gay and Cockrell really concern me. Coverage players 4,5,6 in the dime look like bad match ups for us.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Camp Recap: The Good And The Bad

SteelersTrainingCampDay4-3715

BY ALEX KOZORA AUGUST 3, 2016 AT 09:00 AM
To preface with the obvious, we are only four days into camp. It’s still a super tiny sample size, like judging Paul Walker’s acting career solely off of Tammy and the T-Rex. But we have learned some things, or at least, have an initial impression. So a quick look back at some of the players who have made positive marks on camp and ones that haven’t gotten off to an ideal start.

The Good

– In a phrase, Javon Hargrave has been “as advertised.” It has been difficult to see him in team sessions, the trench guys get so muddied up in it all, but the little I’ve seen there has been good. And he’s been downright dominate in one-on-ones, beating up on Chris Hubbard, B.J. Finney and on Monday, Cody Wallace. He flashes a quick first step and a couple different ways to win as a pass rusher (bull and dip/rip are his favorites). Hargrave has that built in leverage that makes him tough to get under and the 1% athleticism Keith Butler has raved about.

– Sammie Coates had just one “eye popping” day but his entire camp has been solid. Overall, he’s caught the football cleanly and shown the ability to adjust to passes thrown outside the framework of his body. And that speed is legit. From the start to end of practice, a sign of better conditioning, he’s been dynamic.

– Ricardo Mathews won’t get the love Hargrave does but he’s had a strong start to camp. Another guy who has shown the ability to win in OL/DL work while getting penetration in team drills, not allowing himself to get reached and busting up zone schemes.

– Ryan Shazier has had a very Shazier like camp. When they’ve been allowed to hit, he’s been flying around in the backfield and destroying anyone carrying a football. It may have really just been that first day of pads, Sunday, that drew rave reviews, but it was impressive. Especially to those who saw backs on ‘backers, where he reportedly shined.

– Anthony Chickillo is having a quietly good camp. I really liked what he’s done the last two days. He continues to show an array of pass rush moves and line up at both OLB spots. He seems to be doing everything right going into his second year.

– B.J. Finney’s play has been fine, not great or terrible, but I really like to see him playing all over the interior line. By Day Three, he had already played at both guard spots and center. He may get taken out of the center rotation with Valerian Ume-Ezeoke but it’s still a promising sign to get the nod there. Odds are good he’ll see more time at the pivot at some point in the preseason.

– Eli Rogers has been excellent. I’m not sure I can come up with one negative thing to say about him four days in (I’m sure Richard Mann would disagree). His eight catches in camp are already more than he had all of last camp, which yes, was cut pretty short. Ayers, though impressive in some one-on-one work, has yet to catch a pass in team drills.

He’s clearly been running ahead of Demarcus Ayers in every facet.

– David Johnson isn’t going to woo anyone but he’s the person you settle down with when you reach your 30s and have bills to pay. His blocking was been excellent and he’s even made a nice catch, wrestling a pass away from Shazier. What you see is what you get but if he sees if field, you’ll get a positive impact.

The Bad

– I don’t mean to harp on it too much but to say anything other than that Artie Burns is having a rough start to camp would be viewing things with rose colored glasses. Again, it’s not time to freak out, if we frame this as a redshirt season, it’s Day 4 of 365, but his stiffness has been evident covering quicker receivers or coming out of his break. And I’m sure he’s finding out he’s no longer the fasted guy around. The fact the team seems intent on keeping William Gay outside helps speak to the realization that Burns needs some time.

– Marcus Tucker’s catch percentage has been poor, just 25%, and two of those have been because of drops. At least one more came on a miscommunication. Reps aren’t going to be plentiful as a back-end receiver and he isn’t taking full advantage. I do like parts about his game. He’s just having some trouble putting it together.

– You can say similar about Canaan Severin. He hasn’t had a bunch of negative plays. He’s just been pretty invisible overall, not even seeing a target in team drills. If Shakim Phillips is close to a return, it’ll push Severin’s chances down even farther.

– Couple of guys who simply aren’t even getting the reps to make an impact. Al-Hajj Shabazz and Giorgio Newberry. Both have been 4th teamers. I hyped up Newberry a little bit but this has the making of another swing and miss by me. Matt Conrath was my sleeper before camp in 2015 and that clearly didn’t work out. They better show something quickly or they won’t make it past the cutdown to 75…or be on the street even sooner.

– Maybe I’m reading into it a bit much but Bruce Gradkowski has not seen a lot of reps. He did seem to get elevated a bit on Monday but according to my numbers, he’s last in pass attempts. Noticeably behind Dustin Vaughan. I still think his spot is safe, from Vaughan at least, but it’s something to monitor.

Somewhere Inbetween

– Xavier Grimble has flashed, and that’s what you want to see from the young guys, but he has been flighty. Good for at least a drop a day and he’s struggled to finish out practice, hinting issues with his conditioning. Things don’t get any easier and you know being in peak physical shape is the #1 thing Mike Tomlin looks for.

– The door has cracked open a little more with Senquez Golson’s injury for Montell Garner. He’s shown plus ball skills but part of that comes from him being over-aggressive on playing the ball, prone to looking for the ball early and giving up separation. I do like that he’s played inside and out but we’ve seen corners do the same and asked to turn in their playbook.

– Jerald Hawkins had a strong day Monday but a lot of it did come against a fellow rookie, Travis Feeney. Sunday wasn’t as clean. Let’s see how he attacks this week.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Javon Hargrave Quickening Himself To Starting Spot

javon-hargrave-ota-2016

BY MATTHEW MARCZI AUGUST 3, 2016 AT 11:30 AM
It is no doubt a good feeling for the Pittsburgh Steelers’ training camp to be underway, especially now with a couple of days of practice in pads now under our belts as well. It is the surest sign that real, meaningful football will be with us shortly, just around the corner.

For me, however, the greatest excitement about the start of padded practices this year was the opportunity to get a first true feel for rookie third-round defensive tackle Javon Hargrave and how he is able to adapt to an NFL level of competition and size, after coming into the league as a small-school product.

The early results would seem to have been overwhelmingly positive, and it leaves me wondering if he might not open the regular season as the team’s starting nose tackle ahead of third-year tackle Daniel McCullers, who, in spite of his draft pedigree, has been given higher standards that he has yet to live up to.

With the Steelers having lost Steve McLendon in free agency to the Jets, it became necessary for the team to acquire a new talent who can line up in the middle of the defense, even if that defense only utilizes the services of a true nose tackle for somewhere between a third and a quarter of their total defensive snaps.

The nose tackle position may be no longer fairly regarded as a ‘starting’ position if we take our standard to be playing time and snap counts, but the situations in which the nose tackle are employed are no less crucial than they have ever been—short-yardage situations, on third down and on the goal line, especially.

At only around 300 pounds himself, Hargrave has never been regarded as the sort of prototypical nose tackle who will regular command multiple blockers to engage him based purely on size, but he possesses a rare quickness and athleticism that will necessitate that multiple players try to stop him, or else he will be registering tackles in the backfield.

The biggest question that he seemed to have to answer was whether or not his exceptional quickness in comparison to low-level collegiate competition would be enough to translate all the way up to the elite level of NFL players. No less than Joe Greene was deployed to assess that possibility, and he came away confident that it would.

The early training camp results have strongly indicated that that is indeed the case, though I am anticipating hearing of more frequent opportunities for him to take on the Steelers’ gold standard offensive linemen in Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro, two first-team All-Pro players in their most recent healthy seasons.

Meanwhile, little positive has been said of McCullers thus far, before or since the pads have come on, only to say that he has, again, gotten himself into shape, which we have heard three times now. unlike the battle at left tackle, there is a spot that is nobody’s to lose, only to be won. And it is looking in the early goings that Hargrave will have his chance to win the job.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Apparently weve signed a tight end but not sure yet.