• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Anthony Chickillo. An emerging talent or just the hot camp story of the week?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Steelers’ Chickillo leaves mark on opposing blockers

By F. Dale Lolley
August 9, 2016

A Pittsburgh Steelers helmut sits on the turf before an NFL football game against the Baltimore Ravens in Baltimore, Sunday, Dec. 2, 2012. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)
LATROBE – At a recent Steelers practice at Saint Vincent College, head coach Mike Tomlin asked a rhetorical question.

“Can anybody block Chickillo?” Tomlin yelled during the backs-on-backers drill.

As it turned out, tight end David Johnson held his own against the second-year outside linebacker on the next play, drawing a thanks from Tomlin.

The early returns on Chickillo in his second season are positive as player after player had issues stopping the outside linebacker from getting to the quarterback.

“(Chickillo) is a guy who has been making a hell of a stride and I think he’s going to be another good football player for us,” said Steelers outside linebackers coach Joey Porter. “We have some young good ones. I feel real confident in those guys. I feel real confident that whoever we put in there will do good.”

That wasn’t always the case, particularly for Chickillo.

The former defensive lineman at Miami flashed early in training camp last season. But the sixth-round draft pick’s play faltered as camp progressed. Though he made the initial roster, he was quickly released, along with rookie corner Doran Grant, to make room for defensive end Caushaud Lyons and cornerback Ross Cockrell, two days later.

Though Chickillo and Grant were signed to the practice squad and later to the 53-man roster, the sting of being released stuck with Chickillo through the offseason.

He worked hard to cut weight after playing in college as heavy as 280 pounds and showing up for training camp at 267 last season. He’s now listed at a leaner 255 pounds. The weight loss and time to work on his technique have dramatically improved his pass rushing skills.

He can now beat opponents in a variety of ways.

“I would say I just feel a lot more comfortable,” Chickillo said. “You know what to expect each day and you know what to expect coming into camp, what you’re going to get. I was learning a new position last year, so it was a big transition for me.”

Chickillo always felt comfortable moving forward. It was the other things the Steelers ask of their linebackers, such as dropping into coverage.

But he has veteran players such as Porter and fellow linebacker James Harrison to learn from. They both made the transition from being a down lineman in college to linebacker in the NFL and Chickillo is all ears when they give him pointers.

“I just try to go hard. If you go hard, people take notice,” Chickillo said. “I go hard every play and no matter what I do, I do it at 100 percent.”

That’s one of the reasons why his teammates don’t relish going against him in blocking drills.

In another recent training camp drill, Tomlin gave an offensive player the choice of trying to block Chickillo or inside linebacker Vince Williams, another high-effort explosive player. The offensive player chose Williams as the lesser of two evils, much to the delight of Tomlin.

Now, the question remains if Chickillo can carry that play from training camp to the preseason games and beyond. If so, he could force the Steelers to keep him this season, despite having Bud Dupree, Jarvis Jones, Harrison and Arthur Moats entrenched at the outside linebacker position.

“You can’t think about those kind of things,” Chickillo said of counting numbers at a position. “I just try to come out and get better. I’m still learning about the position. I’m far ahead of where I was last year at this time but I’ve still got things I need to learn. I just want to come out and get better each day.”

Odds and end zones
Right tackle Marcus Gilbert was given the day off as was quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has now missed four of 10 training camp practices. Roethlisberger was given the day off for personal reasons but is expected to practice Wednesday. ... Rookie offensive tackle Jerald Hawkins (shoulder) and first-year defensive lineman Roy Philon (ankle) left practice early Tuesday. ... Cornerback Senquez Golson, who suffered a Lisfranc injury last week, underwent surgery on his foot Monday. There is no timetable on his return. ... The Steelers held their first of two practices at Saint Vincent College against the Detroit Lions Tuesday without incident. The two teams will practice there again today starting at 5:15 p.m. It is open to the public.