• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Anthony Chickillo. An emerging talent or just the hot camp story of the week?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
After 5 practices I keep reading good things about Chickillo as a pass rusher and coverage person. He's lost some weight and seems to be more comfortable with the defense.

We shall see if this trend continues, but if it does there should be an open competition for the starting spot.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Based off what??? 5 practices? How about let's see the young man a play in a game first. Let's see him string together some good performances in preseason games. Then let's see him make some against first stringers in pre season games. Then let's see him in regular season games. How about we wait til he makes a big play in a regular season game. For all the grief Jones gets and rightfully so he hasn't been spectacular. He has made some big plays for this team. Once Chick does some of those things then yes by all means if Jones and Harrison aren't playing well let's see what the kid can do.

Last edited:

FordFairLane

Reaction score
At this point I think the hopes are Chickillo can take over for Jones after this year. I doubt he overtakes him this year unless Jones gets injured and Chickillo comes in and does much better then I could see Jones not getting his job back. But right now I think they are grooming Chickillo for the likely departure of Harrison and Jones after this year. So I feel Chickillo and a draft pick or they move Moats over to ROLB if they feel Dupree and Feeney can handle the LOLB position.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Hes def huge. He looks like Clay Mathews.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Based off what??? 5 practices? How about let's see the young man a play in a game first. Let's see him string together some good performances in preseason games. Then let's see him make some against first stringers in pee season games. Then let's see him in regular season games. How about we wait til he makes a big play in a regular season game. For all the grief Jones gets and rightfully so he hasn't been spectacular. He has made some big plays for this team. Once Chick does some of those things then yes by all means if Jones and Harrison aren't playing well let's see what the kid can do.

The practices have been against some 1st string guys OL players. Chickillo hasn't been up and down, he's been good out of the gate.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
To early to say really. But after only 5 practices I'm leaning toward flavor of the week.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
The practices have been against some 1st string guys OL players. Chickillo hasn't been up and down, he's been good out of the gate.

From other teams??

Don't get me wrong I want the guy to be good very good. But I think I want to see it in games. In games that matter first. Not just because I liked him in the draft and I want to be right on a message board.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I think his strengths are his strengths. He's stout vs the run, sets the edge, and he might not be the best in coverage or ever be a 10+ sack guys but if he can fill a hole in a zone and take advantage of a mismatch on TE and push the OT back into the QB a little that is more than enough if Dupree can be the stud OLB we all have high hopes of him becoming.

Wingman

Reaction score
Chickillo, played well in camp and was learning a new position. He is making the transition from defensive end to linebacker. He seems to be on track with his development in that regard. This might be something that we will be seeing again as Joey Porter went the same route as did others that became outside linebackers for the steelers. Jarvis started out as a linebacker and has not done much to impress me so far. James Harrison had some issues developing into the player that was a great talent and star of the defense. I am thinking that chic might become a great player for the team over the course of the next couple of seasons. Jarvis may not live up to his 1st round pick status but may be a good back up relief player. From what I have seen of him, Jarvis, I do not believe he will become a great player but he maybe a player that the team decides to keep because he is a good role player on the team.

All that means is he was over drafted, Jarvis, but he does not seem to have been a distraction or bad locker room guy. The guy looks like he has reached his peak and it does not seem to be as high as was desired. Chic on the other hand looks to be still developing and does not look to have reached his peak he may continue to develop or he could also flop like many guys do in that role.

Last edited:

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
He should be looking better. It is his second year and that is what you would hope for. Considering he showed flashes early last year this might be something but it is still to early to be sure. Just like it is to early to call Davis a bust when he has a shot at being our starting nickel back.

C

Clete

His measurables coming out of college dwarfed Jarvis`s and that was after playing out of osition and weighing 30 pounds too much. His measurables were comparable to Dupree and he is just an old school football player who will surpass Uncle Jarvis by midseason.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Continued Improvement Could Result In Chickillo Competing For Playing Time

chickillo

BY MATTHEW MARCZI AUGUST 4, 2016 AT 10:00 AM
If you have been following the various Pittsburgh Steelers training camp reports from a variety of sources, including our very own Alex Kozora, who will have no doubt noted frequent mention of certain players more than others. One of the names that seems to have been floated around a fair bit is second-year outside linebacker Anthony Chickillo.

Chickillo, a 2015 sixth-round draft pick, originally made the Steelers’ roster, but was released the next day to make room for a player claimed off waivers. He was signed to the practice squad, but was promoted to the 53-man roster a few weeks into the season.

From that point on, he slowly got a helmet and carved out a role for himself on special teams as a fifth outside linebacker. In one game that one of their right outside linebackers missed, Chickillo even received playing time on defense, to the tune of around a couple dozens, though he failed to register officially on the stat sheet.

By the way that he is looking so far in training camp, however, if you belief the many various reports, it may not be hard to imagine him receiving some sort of playing time in 2016, even if outside linebackers coach Joey Porter said that he would like to see less of a rotation than they employed last season.

In fact, according to former Steelers Depot writer Jon Ledyard over at Steel City Insider, Chickillo credits Porter quite a bit for not only his improvement, but for helping him rediscover how ‘fun’ the game can be, after being reintroduced to the position he believes he should have been playing all along.

“He’s made football fun for me again form where I was at in college”, he told Ledyard recently at training camp. “Every day you’re learning from a guy who did it at a really high level, has played in Pro Bowls, has played in Super Bowls and knows what it takes to be the best”.

Brought in to Miami and asked to put on weight to play the 3-4 defensive end position, Chickillo lost some of his natural gifts in college, but he has dropped over 30 pounds from his college playing weight, and is now at around 250 pounds.

He even told Ledyard that he didn’t play the position he wanted to in college, but just did what the coaches asked of him, adding, “I was really fortunate to come [to Pittsburgh] and have the coaches that I do, coaches that believe in me and what I can do”.

Chief among them is Porter, who said that Chickillo had “made a whole lot of headway transforming from a D-lineman to a true outside linebacker”.

The linebacker credits Porter for helping him have “a plan and using my hands”. “Coach Porter helps me a lot at seeing what kind of guy you have in front of you and figuring out different ways you can beat that guy”. Those lessons have translated in both one-on-one and scrimmage drills, with the next step being the preseason.

If he continues to shine over the course of the next month, then he should certainly be fighting for playing time. Of course, a lot can happen between now and then, and it’s one thing to win in practice versus in an in-game situation where the scoreboard matters.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
He's flavor of the week FOR NOW, but I definitely think he is more than capable of showing and proving on the big stage. I am hopeful for that

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
too early to tell, let's hope he shows something, he has to fight a spot with JJ and Moats, though he could keep a roster spot as the 5th OLB, which makes sense given Harrison's age or JJ medical records.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Based off what??? 5 practices? How about let's see the young man a play in a game first. Let's see him string together some good performances in preseason games. Then let's see him make some against first stringers in pee season games. Then let's see him in regular season games. How about we wait til he makes a big play in a regular season game. For all the grief Jones gets and rightfully so he hasn't been spectacular. He has made some big plays for this team. Once Chick does some of those things then yes by all means if Jones and Harrison aren't playing well let's see what the kid can do.

LOL - pee season - you said "pee season"!!! #Bevis&Butthead

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
too early to tell, let's hope he shows something, he has to fight a spot with JJ and Moats, though he could keep a roster spot as the 5th OLB, which makes sense given Harrison's age or JJ medical records.

So he's not Kevin Greene??? Bah humbug...

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
It usually takes a couple years for our College DEs to translate to OLBs. Good luck Chick, I hope you're the next.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
1st and 2nd round guys are relatively basic stuff. Sometimes you will see a second that guys have a third or fourth round grade on. Its the third to 6th round guys who really can put you over the top. Look at Seattle. It certainly isn't their first and second round guys who have put them where they are. Its their late rounds and UFA's that have become big players. While I'm certainly am not going to anoint Chickillo as Aaron Smith it is those players who make you a championship squad.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

POP

If he can even attain average OLB play, he'd be a lot better than Mr. Softee Jones.

Anthony_Chickillo.JPG

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Chickillo was a favorite of some who cover the team last year and coming into camp in better condition makes it easier to find the good stuff. The guy looks like a football player and is very easy to root for, but we all need to see him generate some pressure and hold the edge in the preseason.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Here is what I'd like to see. Put him in with the ones in the second or third pre season game. What is Jarvis Jones? He and Harrison are done next season. You also know what Moates is. So in the very minimum you better find out exactly what you have on the roster going into next season. Are you going to have to FA and use a one on a OLB? AND if by chance he looks good with the ones who gives a **** about JJ. Despite what Joey says I know what Jarvis Jones will do. He will get 4-6 sacks which is actually above his career average but beyond dissapointing for a first rounder in his prime.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
BY DAVE BRYAN AUGUST 6, 2016 AT 11:30 AM
As the Pittsburgh Steelers prepare to take the fields at Saint Vincent College Saturday afternoon for what will be their eighth practice of their 2016 training camp, the buzz surrounding second-year outside linebacker Anthony Chickillo has reached a fever-pitch level.

During a recent interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was asked about how Chickillo is coming along in his development.

“It’s great to see the growth and development in second year players,” said Tomlin “We’re not bashful about the challenge that we present second-year players and we feel confident about challenging them. They’ve been a lap around the track, they know what’s expected and their play and preparation should reflect that. Guys like Chickillo and Sammie Coates are really showing you what that’s all about.”

Chickillo reportedly showed up to training camp this year a little lighter than he was when his rookie season ended and that dedication to his transformation has certainly showed up during the team’s first seven training camp practices. Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert has definitely noticed what one of the team’s two sixth-round draft picks last year is doing so far this offseason as evidenced by his comments made in a recent interview with Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller.

“Anthony, he probably played at 272, 275 at Miami strictly as an end,” said Colbert of Chickillo. “He kicked inside sometimes in some sub packages for them, but we saw some athleticism that we thought would come through, especially when he lost the weight. A motor is his biggest asset, but he’s very athletic once he got that extra weight off, which he needed to play defensive line at Miami. Once he got that off and learned how to drop, learned coverages, the pass rush stuff it’s natural to him.

“You know his dad was a great player at the University of Miami, his grandfather was a great player, so Chick has done a nice job of fighting his way into where he is right now and I do expect that to continue. That kid, he’s relentless and I think he’ll be a contributor for us.”

Fellow Steelers outside linebacker Arthur Moats has also been impressed with his teammates’ development since he arrived in Pittsburgh.

“The thing with Chick, it’s an amazing story when you hear him talk how he played a 3-technique in a 3-4 scheme,” started Moats. “He was like 280-pounds and to see how he just transformed his body from the draft and him coming here to how he looks now, I mean he’s like down 20,25 pounds. Extremely quick, I mean the guy’s having an amazing camp and you can just tell he’s definitely put the work in. He’s made sure that he worked on his burst and also his coverage aspect of it so that he could be a more complete player. So, he’s looking really good out there.”

Chickillo will definitely be one of several Steelers players to watch closely during the team’s upcoming preseason games even though at this point it’s obvious he’ll make the final 53-man roster, which is something that he failed to do last year after all of the final cuts were made prior to the regular-season opener. While it’s yet to be seen whether or not Chickillo will receive a considerable amount of playing time this year with Moats, Bud Dupree, Jarvis Jones, and James Harrison all still likely ahead of him on the outside linebacker depth chart, a continued strong training camp, followed up be a very strong preseason, might ultimately make it hard for the coaching staff to not play him at least some in 2016

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Rooting for the kid, like I do for all Steelers.
He has been impressive so far, but it is just camp/practice, let's hope he can take this momentum to the bigger stage.
Last preseason he was barely able to get on the screen during most plays having about a 5 yard gap between him and the ball.
Hopefully this preseason he can start affecting plays and have an impact and then continue this growth into meaningful games.

Reactions: MTC

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I have faith in a Chick. My gut tells me he is gonna be a starter and impact player soon. I liked the pick last season and rooting hard as **** for him now. Jarvis, love ya and like to see UGA players in Steelers uniforms, but you are what you are. Unless you prove us wrong and I hope you do