• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Anthony Chickillo. An emerging talent or just the hot camp story of the week?

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully he sticks this year and takes Harrison's spot next year

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Hopefully he sticks this year and takes Harrison's spot next year

Well, I don't think he'll have Jones ahead of him on the depth chart next year.

P

POP

Yawn. Haters gon' hate...

How is that "hating?" Those are merely the facts. And along with his 6 QB hurries he had a whopping 2 sacks all year long, playing in the premier position to gather sacks. 2. And he didn't even have many tackles either.

He had a whopping 29 combined tackles. 29. Before Greg Lloyd got hurt, he was posting 81-114 tackle seasons. Between 80 and 114 tackles a season compared to JJ's 29. That is an outrageous difference.

JJ is terrible. He's not even starting quality on any team. And he was taken in the 1st round. BUST. I bet even Feeney is better.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
How is that "hating?" Those are merely the facts. And along with his 6 QB hurries he had a whopping 2 sacks all year long, playing in the premier position to gather sacks. 2. And he didn't even have many tackles either.

He had a whopping 29 combined tackles. 29. Before Greg Lloyd got hurt, he was posting 81-114 tackle seasons. Between 80 and 114 tackles a season compared to JJ's 29. That is an outrageous difference.

JJ is terrible. He's not even starting quality on any team. And he was taken in the 1st round. BUST. I bet even Feeney is better.

Feeney is fighting a big uphill battle to even make the roster, a lousy comparison.

I am by no means Jones biggest supporter. But you also have to factor in that our LBers rotated.

Contract year we will see Jones' best.

And hell that might be still mediocre. But mediocre is still better than anything Feeney has shown to date.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

Somehow the Chickillo thread turned into the Jones thread, but anyway....
1. The ONLY reason Jarvis is still starting is because he was a first round draft pick.
2. If Jarvis was drafted in line with his talent, like say fourth round, he would have been cut already or at most a career special teamer.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Somehow the Chickillo thread turned into the Jones thread, but anyway....
1. The ONLY reason Jarvis is still starting is because he was a first round draft pick.
2. If Jarvis was drafted in line with his talent, like say fourth round, he would have been cut already or at most a career special teamer.

I'll start it...

Blame Coach Tomlin.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I look at it this way..

At this point of the season...if your healthy and participating your making progress and got a chance to help the team,,,

Slash#10

Reaction score
With no Aaron Smith or Brett Keisel, I'm looking for some flavor to cheer for on Steeler defense... C'mon Chic!

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Meh Lets wait and see. i hope the kid turns out great, but when we took him I felt like he was an underachieving looks-good in-practice type player with attributes but not the stats to show he could use them in the game... until he proves he has the instincts, its not anything to get too hyped about. Frankly i would have kept Hojo over him last year...

ianv2012

Reaction score
Meh Lets wait and see. i hope the kid turns out great, but when we took him I felt like he was an underachieving looks-good in-practice type player with attributes but not the stats to show he could use them in the game... until he proves he has the instincts, its not anything to get too hyped about. Frankly i would have kept Hojo over him last year...

of course he didn't have the stats, he was completely miscast at the U playing the 5 tech in their 3-4 defense. He's down from 280 something in college to 250 now. The Shrine game is what showed his natural talent when they had him playing as a pass rushing 4-3 DE. The Steelers took him because of his potential with his natural instincts as a pass rusher that once he dropped his 5 tech weight, he'd be playing where he should've been in college.

ark steel

Reaction score
Feeney is fighting a big uphill battle to even make the roster, a lousy comparison.

I am by no means Jones biggest supporter. But you also have to factor in that our LBers rotated.

And hell that might be still mediocre. But mediocre is still better than anything Feeney has shown to date.

I can't imagine anyone would think Feeney is better. I was convinced that Feeney would take Shark's spot on ST, if Shark didn't show anything at S during camp. Some decent comments about Shark's camp so far, so that may not come to fruition.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
hahaha

At least someone is going to be honest in this thread,

Lol, but I'm confused because he wants a white guy to cheer for on defense but his nickname is Slash #10. I just can quite figure that one out.

P

POP

Jones has never even achieved mediocre. 29 tackles is not mediocre. 2 sacks is not either. The only reason he is rotated out, is because he is lousy. Do you think there would be much rotation if Lloyd, Porter or a younger Harrison were playing? No way. JJ is rotated because he stinks.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Jones has never even achieved mediocre. 29 tackles is not mediocre. 2 sacks is not either. The only reason he is rotated out, is because he is lousy. Do you think there would be much rotation if Lloyd, Porter or a younger Harrison were playing? No way. JJ is rotated because he stinks.

Last season we did not know what Harrison had left, and had two drafted rookie OLb's on the team.

I think this is a big reason why Jones started. Now that Dupree and Chickillo are no longer rookies, and Harrison proved he had something left, Jarvis Jones has less value going into the 2016 season.

I'm not sure why he lost weight. It is not helping his pass rush, as he hasn't won a 1 on 1 battle with an OL player yet... he's the only veteran on DL or OLB who hasn't.

Chickillo is out playing him. So if Jones doesn't start, he needs to play special teams.

Red Flag, he can't play kick coverage.

Ah, but he can be part of the rotation in the 4 man rush and gun for 2 sacks again for the season? Not if Dupree, Harrison, and Chickillo are better pass rushers as I highly suspect they are. Hargrave looks like a nice DT rush man, so either Tuitt or Heyward can kick outside as well.

I'll wait until 3 pre-season games, but if Chickillo starts, Jones could be traded for whatever amount we can get or even cut. You heard it here first.

P

POP

Last season we did not know what Harrison had left, and had two drafted rookie OLb's on the team.

I think this is a big reason why Jones started. Now that Dupree and Chickillo are no longer rookies, and Harrison proved he had something left, Jarvis Jones has less value going into the 2016 season.

I'm not sure why he lost weight. It is not helping his pass rush, as he hasn't won a 1 on 1 battle with an OL player yet... he's the only veteran on DL or OLB who hasn't.

Chickillo is out playing him. So if Jones doesn't start, he needs to play special teams.

Red Flag, he can't play kick coverage.

Ah, but he can be part of the rotation in the 4 man rush and gun for 2 sacks again for the season? Not if Dupree, Harrison, and Chickillo are better pass rushers as I highly suspect they are. Hargrave looks like a nice DT rush man, so either Tuitt or Heyward can kick outside as well.

I'll wait until 3 pre-season games, but if Chickillo starts, Jones could be traded for whatever amount we can get or even cut. You heard it here first.

The only reason he hasn't already been kicked to the curb is because the team doesn't want egg on their face, and cutting him would be proof that they made a huge mistake with their first round draft pick.

That's it.

No other reason he is around.

But the Steelers are smarter than everyone when drafting; they couldn't have made a giant blunder with their decision to draft JJ.

And that is why he is still around.

I man, just look and listen. Tomlin tried to claim that JJ was having a "solid" season last year. Solid? 29 tackles and 2 sacks is solid?

Bottom line, they don't want to admit he was a bad draft pick, because they like to think of themselves as the smartest guys in the room.

Look at who they could have drafted instead of a useless OLB.

Draft Picks

17 Steelers Jarvis Jones OLB
18 49ers Eric Reid FS
19 Giants Justin Pugh OT
20 Bears Kyle Long OG
21 Bengals Tyler Eifert TE
22 Falcons Desmond Trufant CB
23 Vikings Sharrif Floyd DT
24 Colts Bjoern Werner DE
25 Vikings Xavier Rhodes CB
26 Packers Datone Jones DE
27 Texans DeAndre Hopkins WR
28 Broncos Sylvester Williams DT
29 Vikings Cordarrelle Patterson WR
30 Rams Alec Ogletree ILB
31 Cowboys Travis Frederick C
32 Ravens Matt Elam

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
The only reason he hasn't already been kicked to the curb is because the team doesn't want egg on their face, and cutting him would be proof that they made a huge mistake with their first round draft pick.

That's it.

No other reason he is around.

But the Steelers are smarter than everyone when drafting; they couldn't have made a giant blunder with their decision to draft JJ.

And that is why he is still around.

I man, just look and listen. Tomlin tried to claim that JJ was having a "solid" season last year. Solid? 29 tackles and 2 sacks is solid?

Bottom line, they don't want to admit he was a bad draft pick, because they like to think of themselves as the smartest guys in the room.

Look at who they could have drafted instead of a useless OLB.

Draft Picks

17 Steelers Jarvis Jones OLB
18 49ers Eric Reid FS
19 Giants Justin Pugh OT
20 Bears Kyle Long OG
21 Bengals Tyler Eifert TE
22 Falcons Desmond Trufant CB
23 Vikings Sharrif Floyd DT
24 Colts Bjoern Werner DE
25 Vikings Xavier Rhodes CB
26 Packers Datone Jones DE
27 Texans DeAndre Hopkins WR
28 Broncos Sylvester Williams DT
29 Vikings Cordarrelle Patterson WR
30 Rams Alec Ogletree ILB
31 Cowboys Travis Frederick C
32 Ravens Matt Elam

Come on Pop, get over it.....

th

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Look at some of the players who were drafted BEFORE Jarvis. Some of them are truly ****-tastic.

And stop comparing statistics between linebackers who are on the field for 95% of their teams snaps with Jarvis who was on the field for like 41% last season! Jarvis' production is clearly below expectations but try to use a little common sense...

SteelerAl

Reaction score

Sorry, Coach, I think all of us will be spinning in our graves long before we ever say "Man, Coach was totally right about [xyz] and the first person to make that prediction."

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd love to trade Jarvis but I can't imagine any team giving up any assets of value in return