• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why I think Tomlin needs to go

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Yea, but it is important to consider it could be worse. There seems to be an automatic assumption that another coach will be better. And for you or anyone to say otherwise is bs.

Again, not a reason to keep Tomlin, but it is something to bear in mind.

I think there is more of an automatic assumption that it will be worse under a new coach. I really don't care who the coach is, I just want to make a run in the playoffs.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Yea, but it is important to consider it could be worse. There seems to be an automatic assumption that another coach will be better. And for you or anyone to say otherwise is bs.

Again, not a reason to keep Tomlin, but it is something to bear in mind.
True, but that's what's great about this franchise, we have come to expect playoffs, playoff wins, and super caliber teams. This may very well be the fifth straight season without a playoff win.. The first time since 1967-1971.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
True, but that's what's great about this franchise, we have come to expect playoffs, playoff wins, and super caliber teams. This may very well be the fifth straight season without a playoff win.. The first time since 1967-1971.

Damn. I did not know that Tom. I figured there was a longer drought in the 80s. It just seemed like it I guess. :) Man those years were horrible. Think about how tough it was to consider ousting a 4 time Super Bowl winning coach but his time was over.

Last edited:

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
But a contract is a contract, whether it be 25.000 in 1974 or 2 million today. It isn't like in either case if they go out and win they are going to get an increase in salary after the game. You get paid your contract.

Where you may have a point is the playoff money in those days made a difference. Today with these contracts, it doesn't.

Jesus. Forget about Chuck Noll. Forget about the $25K. If you're talking about modern times, you're making my argument for me...players need to be motivated by something else than their game checks -- that's where the head coach should come in. DING DING DING!

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Agree to disagree..

Just don't think a coach should have to motivate grown men who know the relevance of the games played.

Fine.

Lots of adults, not just football players, need to be motivated by leaders. In most occupations, really. The military is an excellent example of that as well. That's how good companies and units succeed -- through maintaining team spirit and high morale. A head coach in the NFL should be no different.