• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why I think Tomlin needs to go

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
Write this down in ink because you won't have to change it: This team will never win another Super Bowl with Tomlin as coach - in fact, they are unlikely to get there to begin with. Whatever remains of Ben's career will be wasted under Tomlin.

Vader

Reaction score
Hitting your check down isn't a adjustment from the sidelines it's a read for the QB on just about every passing play..it's a read. Not open, not open, check down

Sometimes check downs are covered as well. The defense usually has someone account for the RB.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Sometimes check downs are covered as well. The defense usually has someone account for the RB.

Come on, the coach is responsible for nothing except for coming with new sayings and using new words from a dictionary every week.

mdk2

Reaction score

Go to Steeler depot and look at the game breakdown.. Ben has wide open players he refuses to check down to.

Yes, sometimes everyone is covered but Tomlin can't yell from the sidelines for Ben to throw the ball away.

thumbring

Reaction score
I'm in total agreement that the coaching yesterday was abysmal and so was Ben's play.

However, the point I'm not seeing made is that by losing winnable games earlier in the season, the team left itself with almost no room for error here at the end. It's pretty hard to win 5 or 6 games in a row or whatever it would've needed to be. It seems like this is the scenario with this team more often than not the past few years. Get in a hole and then have to fight and fight and win out to have a hope at the playoffs.

How about coming out and playing with a sense of urgency from the start? I don't know who is responsible for that. Some would say the coaches don't prepare the players and it seems that way from a game-planning perspective. However, who is responsible for getting the team in the right frame of mind to take care of business? Seems like the players should be able to handle that on their own.

Finally, I would agree that Tomlin should go, but I know it won't happen. My main problem with him is his stubborn refusal to accept responsibility for his mistakes. He just keeps repeating them, over and over. It makes you feel like the team has no hope while he's the coach.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Go to Steeler depot and look at the game breakdown.. Ben has wide open players he refuses to check down to.

Yes, sometimes everyone is covered but Tomlin can't yell from the sidelines for Ben to throw the ball away.

Let's not bring facts into the discussion. Let's continue to discuss the **** we could not possibly know sitting on our couches

Last edited:

6Lombardis

Reaction score
I agree with 90% of what I read here. Tomlin, Ben, the whole team take blame for their poor performances. Regarding our struggles, it is still a matter of balanced talent-IMO. However, for those who feel coaching is the problem, one can't have it both ways: if "even good players need coaching" then we must give Tomlin credit for the coaching of "Cower's players" going to TWO Super Bowls. So if he fails to coach sometimes, then he has also succeeded at other times.
Regarding talent, they've simply not done the right things regarding defensive talent-even though I feel they've not just ignored it. Like most posters, I'm very tired of the overall result which is mediocrity. I'm not defending Tomlin, but I'm skeptical that there is a person available who would be a huge upgrade as our coach.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
There is better. But if these players don't know what is at stake...

It should not take a coach to remind them of it.

This is ridiculous. Any player worth a **** character-wise, will always have a desire for a strong, dependable line of leadership to help them accomplish their goals. The whole "professionals dont need no motivation" mantra is so played out and overstated. ALL PEOPLE, even the highest level of "professionals" in ANY field, need to be motivated externally, to be positively reinforced by some authoritative body, to SOME extent; some more than others. If all it takes is self-motivation, then ****, why even field a coaching staff?? Just let the players draw up the plays in the dirt, it'll work itself out. From soldiers to salespeople, football players to grocery shelf-stockers, we all do better for ourselves when our leadership is strong. We achieve at levels we likely otherwise would not achieve. Been that way forever

Last edited:

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score

And then a smart QB throws it away OR if nibble enough - runs for a small gain...

I appreciate everything Ben has done and does for this team, on and off the field---I've gone on record before, Ben makes boneheaded decisions sometimes - so does Coach Tomlin; but, I still believe that this team has resolve. I am realistic and I know that they won't win every game that they play (not saying that that's bad or that anyone else here wants that).

Yesterday's loss, IMO, was a team loss and ultimately the blame lays on the HC. Fine.

I'll bet this though - they aren't wallowing in this and next week is gonna be a blood bath for the Browns. The question is, will that be enough to get us into the dance???

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Not on this play (Ben's first interception). Williams is literally uncovered and would have picked up a very nice gain:

6db8304ec951c750b512db9bf706a258.gif

[Courtesy of Steelers Depot]

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Not on this play (Ben's first interception). Williams is literally uncovered and would have picked up a very nice gain:

6db8304ec951c750b512db9bf706a258.gif

[Courtesy of Steelers Depot]

Steeltime I don't know what the hell you think you are doing but we don't do this **** around here. We don't backup our statements with visual evidence around here. Speculation trumps all here. Chill out.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin needs to field a team with a big middle finger to the NFL. **** the other 31 teams and go out and kick some *** for once. You're paid millions to beat the man in front of you. Earn that check, get some nice hardware for the grandkids and bragging and possible engagement situations ;)

Just kick *** and take names Steelers

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I put this loss on Ben and Haley.

Haley had a **** plan and Ben had a **** game.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Steeltime I don't know what the hell you think you are doing but we don't do this **** around here. We don't backup our statements with visual evidence around here. Speculation trumps all here. Chill out.

Funny how, by the 4th quarter, when it was completely and utterly IMPERATIVE that we score points, Ben started taking the check down. Of course Ben is the one with the ball in his hands deciding where to go with it. But Tomlin has been his coach for 9 years and Haley for 4, you'd think they'd be able to say "hey Ben, they're taking away everything deep, you have to look for the check down" and have it actually get through. They got him to run the ball 2/3 of the time for the entire first half - why couldn't they get him to check it down too? I don't know if they just weren't saying it, or he just wasn't hearing it, but part of the job of coaching is to make sure players stop doing stupid **** and playing right into the hands of the opponents. Ben did it over and over again until it was absolutely urgent. Whether they just let him keep doing it, or he told them to go **** themselves and he's flinging it wherever he wants to, sounds like ineptitude to me.

Again I need to know.. What is the point of having coaches on the sideline if not to intervene in situations like this? They know Ben's tendencies. Ben was playing dumb and putting the team in bad situations so yes of course that is his fault. But to let it to continue when the solution was fairly simple was just bad coaching regardless. Harbaugh knew his only chance to beat us was to take away the deep portions of the field and hope to god Ben plays into his hands. Tomlin sat back and watched it happen until late in the 4th ******* quarter

Last edited:

papillon

Reaction score

And, on the INT to AB the receiver(s) on the right side of the field ran clearing routes, or drags through the middle of the defense, then Jesse James came underneath into the space that was vacated and was wide open (I mean no one even covered him, he probably would have scored), this play was shown on NFL Gameday Highlights or NFL Gameday Final.

Papillon

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
And Ben wasn't out there letting Ryan Mallett do whatever he wanted and have the defense on the field for 35 minutes. Ben is at his worst when he tries to do too much. We run the ball all first half and the defense is killing us in TOP, the opportunities Ben gets he tries to win the game with every throw. Anyone who watches him play can predict that. So yeah, this was his worst game of the season at the worst time, and it was also set up by the ineptitude of everyone around him as well

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
And then a smart QB throws it away OR if nibble enough - runs for a small gain...

I appreciate everything Ben has done and does for this team, on and off the field---I've gone on record before, Ben makes boneheaded decisions sometimes - so does Coach Tomlin; but, I still believe that this team has resolve. I am realistic and I know that they won't win every game that they play (not saying that that's bad or that anyone else here wants that).

Yesterday's loss, IMO, was a team loss and ultimately the blame lays on the HC. Fine.

I'll bet this though - they aren't wallowing in this and next week is gonna be a blood bath for the Browns. The question is, will that be enough to get us into the dance???

Bermudasteel,

The Steelers are not the same team on the road. They are 3-4 on the road, partly because they lack focus and resvole.

I think this loss took the wind out of our sails. We were on a hot steak, then yuck.

Johnny Rehab passed for 327 yards on the team the last time we played. And Mallet was close to 300 yards passing. Yes the pass defense ranked 30th in the NFL is that bad.

By no means is this a gimmie game, and I think the Jets will likley win anyway.

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Funny how, by the 4th quarter, when it was completely and utterly IMPERATIVE that we score points, Ben started taking the check down. Of course Ben is the one with the ball in his hands deciding where to go with it. But Tomlin has been his coach for 9 years and Haley for 4, you'd think they'd be able to say "hey Ben, they're taking away everything deep, you have to look for the check down" and have it actually get through. They got him to run the ball 2/3 of the time for the entire first half - why couldn't they get him to check it down too? I don't know if they just weren't saying it, or he just wasn't hearing it, but part of the job of coaching is to make sure players stop doing stupid **** and playing right into the hands of the opponents. Ben did it over and over again until it was absolutely urgent. Whether they just let him keep doing it, or he told them to go **** themselves and he's flinging it wherever he wants to, sounds like ineptitude to me.

Again I need to know.. What is the point of having coaches on the sideline if not to intervene in situations like this? They know Ben's tendencies. Ben was playing dumb and putting the team in bad situations so yes of course that is his fault. But to let it to continue when the solution was fairly simple was just bad coaching regardless. Harbaugh knew his only chance to beat us was to take away the deep portions of the field and hope to god Ben plays into his hands. Tomlin sat back and watched it happen until late in the 4th ******* quarter

Some one shows you visible evidence of Ben ******* up and you come back with Tomlin Tomlin Tomlin. SMH

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I put this on the players. period.
prior to the game, they showed AB walking in from the team bus. He looked as if he had just heard a joke from Dave Chappelle. Then when he saw the camera on him, he got stoic.

the players may have practiced well, felt good and confident going into the game, but sure as **** didnt take the Rats serious.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Some one shows you visible evidence of Ben ******* up and you come back with Tomlin Tomlin Tomlin. SMH

.. Thanks for responding to what I said. Of course the film will show Ben ******* up, because he ****** up a ton yesterday. We all saw it. Now my question is - why did it continue to happen over and over again? The same mistakes? If coaches can't save players from themselves, especially when it's the opposing team's scheme that is throwing them off, why do we even have them?

Vader

Reaction score

If you watch the video the RB is covered until Ben throws the ball. The LB has him. He drops off when Ben throws in the middle of the field. If you think he isn't covered (albeit off coverage) then you and your Tomlin lovers don't know football. You people talk all the time about how great Timmons is when he makes tackles regardless of how far down field they are. The rats LB comes up and makes that play if Ben checks down. He's roughly 8 yards away.... which is CLOSER than Butler plays his DBs on most plays. So he gains a few yards?

You people are such hypocrites. When they win it's great coaching when they lose it's Ben not playing well. Do I need to bring up the "Best coaching job in Steeler history" **** again? Also when Ben is bombing away it's "5 wide *******". But when it doesn't work you're off the rails. Who puts the offensive game plan together? Who approves it? Who is responsible for the team? Keep sucking Tomlin's nuts it fits your style.

bmoritz

Reaction score

And with all due respect, you continue to make every excuse in the book for him and continue to not hold Tomlin accountable for anything. The truth is the players and the coaches SUCKED yesterday. I don't see one person saying EVERYTHING is 100% Tomlin's fault. What I am seeing, and have been seeing for a couple of years, is you and others flat out refusing to hold him accountable for anything. He is the head coach. Let me ask you something: If a department at a firm continually makes the same errors year after year, don't you eventually have to hold the manager of that department accountable? Why is Tomlin different? Why are you okay with our team underperforming and losing to crappy teams time and time again? I'm not questioning your fanhood, but I don't understand your logic. Why is one man (Tomlin) more important than the team winning and being in a position to win a Championship? It's been FIVE YEARS since we won a playoff game. Other Super Bowl winning coaches have been let go for less.

Last edited:

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
. Who puts the offensive game plan together? Who approves it? Who is responsible for the team? Keep sucking Tomlin's nuts it fits your style.
You know that's Ben, you know he wanted to call runs on 14 of the first 20 plays or whatever, Tomlin has no say there.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
If you watch the video the RB is covered until Ben throws the ball. The LB has him. He drops off when Ben throws in the middle of the field. If you think he isn't covered (albeit off coverage) then you and your Tomlin lovers don't know football. You people talk all the time about how great Timmons is when he makes tackles regardless of how far down field they are. The rats LB comes up and makes that play if Ben checks down. He's roughly 8 yards away.... which is CLOSER than Butler plays his DBs on most plays. So he gains a few yards?

You people are such hypocrites. When they win it's great coaching when they lose it's Ben not playing well. Do I need to bring up the "Best coaching job in Steeler history" **** again? Also when Ben is bombing away it's "5 wide *******". But when it doesn't work you're off the rails. Who puts the offensive game plan together? Who approves it? Who is responsible for the team? Keep sucking Tomlin's nuts it fits your style.

If by being covered, you mean 8 yard deep to create an uncontested catch with a 1 on 1 situation giving Williams the ability to make a play, then I don't agree with your definition of coverage.