• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Which was the bigger Superbowl 43 play?

What was the best play of Super Bowl 43?

• Harrison returns an INT 100yds for a TD

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • Holmes catches the game winning TD

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I think Harrison's int was a "better" play due to all the moving parts that helped get him down the field....the TD catch was a "bigger" play due to the timing at the end of the 4th quarter and it provided the winning score.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I think Harrison's int was a "better" play due to all the moving parts that helped get him down the field....the TD catch was a "bigger" play due to the timing at the end of the 4th quarter and it provided the winning score.
100% agreed

SteveA

Reaction score
Just rewatched the 4th Quarter of SB 43......forgot so much about the 4th over the years. We had the best D in that year and absolutely came apart. Up 20-7 with under 10 minutes to go.

Santonio Holmes had the 1st down and the offensive holding penalty gave Arizona a safety. the game was possibly over. Then Fitzy scores

I do remember all the women in the house party cheering for Cardinals as they got the 65 yard go ahead touchdown.....They didn't care about the Cards....I was devastated.

BTW...he clearly got both toes down with possession.

bmoritz

Reaction score
If not for Harrison's TD, we're never in a position for Holmes' catch to matter. Both are legendary plays in Steelers lore, and without either, we're still tied with the 9ers and Cowboys.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
If not for Harrison's TD, we're never in a position for Holmes' catch to matter. Both are legendary plays in Steelers lore, and without either, we're still tied with the 9ers and Cowboys.

Not true no one knows how the game unfolds after that if he doesn't score or even if Arizona scores, the play calling and adjusting totally changes. What we know is we were behind with less than a minute left and we had the most clutch throw and catch to win #6.

mdk2

Reaction score
I think it should be worded "Ben's pass and Holmes' toe tap TD." Everyone only mentions the catch when talking about this play, lets not forget the beautifully placed pass by Ben. I still think Ben should have been MVP..

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
I think it should be worded "Ben's pass and Holmes' toe tap TD." Everyone only mentions the catch when talking about this play, lets not forget the beautifully placed pass by Ben. I still think Ben should have been MVP..

Yeah he was under pressure for most of that drive too, if that's any other qb they get the MVP for sure.

mdk2

Reaction score
Yeah he was under pressure for most of that drive too, if that's any other qb they get the MVP for sure.

Good point about the OL.. was pretty horrendous that season if I remember correctly, as it was for the majority of Ben's career.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score

I thought to do that, but I didn't want to add subjectivity to the poll. I also couldn't call it the interception at the goaline followed by numerous blocks and broken tackles before finally being tackled at the goalline 100 yards later. That also would be too subjective.

mdk2

Reaction score
I thought to do that, but I didn't want to add subjectivity to the poll. I also couldn't call it the interception at the goaline followed by numerous blocks and broken tackles before finally being tackled at the goalline 100 yards later. That also would be too subjective.

No doubt.. understandable.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
That's why I call it the pass/catch because the pass was just as great as the catch.

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I voted for the Harrison INT/TD. Spectacular play that looked like incredible individual effort but under further scrutiny showed a total team effort and some exceptional coaching by Tomlin. Tomlin's insight provided the blueprint to the team that made that play happen when the opportunity presented itself.

Let us not forget that Santonio's catch was preceeded by his drop in the EZ, fortunately the game did not end at that point and he got a do-over on the other side of the field. And don't forget about the "Hot Sauce" celebration that could of cost us dearly........

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
With me being a little more DEDFENSIVE appreciative and with JAMES HARRISON being one of my all time favorite steelers, it was easy to make the choice.

Salute the nation

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
The Harrison play is not only one of great steeler plays of all time, weve had a lot great receiver catches, it is even one the great Super Bowl plays of all time. It was a thing of beauty.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
"Best" play, Deebo's 100 yard pick 6.
"Most Important" play, Holmes' game winning TD.

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
The one that won the trophy, shouldn't even be a debate. Harrison scored there was still an entire half to play.

So you mean Woodley's strip sack then, right?

SteveA

Reaction score
looks like the voting is really lop-sided

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
looks like the voting is really lop-sided

yea, it's odd that there is such parody between the Immaculate Reception and the Holmes game winner, I'm surprised that it's not even seen as the greatest play in that Super Bowl?

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I am of the mind that Debo's 100 yard pick 6 is the greatest play in SB history. Ben to Holmes is #2.

Debo's pick was a 14 point swing.

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score
I am of the mind that Debo's 100 yard pick 6 is the greatest play in SB history. Ben to Holmes is #2.

Debo's pick was a 14 point swing.
Were kind of biased as Steeler fans. There have been what 51 super bowls? I have a hard time believing the two best ever came from 1 game and both for our team.

Sent from my Pixel using Steeler Nation mobile app

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Were kind of biased as Steeler fans. There have been what 51 super bowls? I have a hard time believing the two best ever came from 1 game and both for our team.

51 SB's, but the Steelers were the 1st and only one to claim 6 at the moment. I truly hope they can pull off #7 this season. That will be monumental

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score
51 SB's, but the Steelers were the 1st and only one to claim 6 at the moment. I truly hope they can pull off #7 this season. That will be monumental
Yeah I know I'm just saying there is no way the 2 best plays ever are from 1 game