• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Which 2nd year WR is going to have a breakout year

Which 2nd Year WR is going to have a breakout Year

• Total voters

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Coolie... I don't see it, but I am open to the possibility. How is it that Ayers is an option on the outside? I understand that workout numbers don't tell the whole story. However, a 4.70 40, a 4.30 3-cone and a 4.35 shuttle do not scream speedy or shifty (I expected much more stellar numbers)). I will agree that a 35" vertical for a 5'9" is impressive and shows explosion. Fill me in... what am I missing.

as has been stated here before he had a broken hand when he ran those times. Watch his game tape...he is faster than those times would indicate. He practiced in all three receiver spots last season and when he did get time he was lined up outside most of the time....

at the 0.20 mark does he look slow cutting across the middle to catch his first TD?
at 0:44 he makes his first career catch but still has the football smarts to stiff arm the defender and get out of bounds
at 1:09 he makes the catch and stops to let the defender over run him, jukes another defender to pick up extra yards
at 1:20 he catches the ball and again, makes a move and cuts back to get around two defenders
at 1:30 he shows some tenacity in run blocking allowing Bell to score

not shown is the big PI call he drew against the ravens while split out wide right

He is not a blazing speed guy, but he can still get open playing outside, is willing to make the tough catch across the middle and not afraid to throw a block....

Last edited:

steelpastor

Reaction score
not shown is the big PI call he drew against the ravens while split out wide right

He is not a blazing speed guy, but he can still get open playing outside, is willing to make the tough catch across the middle and not afraid to throw a block....

That's funny... after I posted, I was watching the 2nd half of the Christmas Day game with the Ravens. Ayers had a nice play outside... slowing down just enough to draw the PI from rookie CB Tavon Young. Nice... vet-like savvy.

Ayers then had a good block while Bell runs in the TD. Way to go.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Ayers has a fighting chance as he did show something in limited play. If he can build on that he could beat out a aging DHB and perhaps the free agent long shot. And even Cobi.

I think this and CB will show some real interesting training camp looks.

I can't wait !

CorpusDsteelers

Reaction score
How can nobody pick option #2? For me it's gotta be 2 or 3 so I took 3

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Ayers can play the Z, who else can give AB some rest?

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Ayers can play the Z, who else can give AB some rest?

Right now, our only Z receivers are Brown, Ayres and DHB. DHB may lose the numbers game this year of potential production vs cap hit.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Could be wrong, but weren't Ayers yards after the catch less than impressive?

Oh, and on a similar note, it would be helpful to have all the stats on the poll choices to make an intelligent decision.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Could be wrong, but weren't Ayers yards after the catch less than impressive?

Oh, and on a similar note, it would be helpful to have all the stats on the poll choices to make an intelligent decision.

You are thinking of Eli rogers

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ayers will be on the team. PUNT return will keep him there.

Salute the nation

PS Seemed like a fixed vote,.......... But if I had the choice,........I'd vote AYERS !!!!!!!!!

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I don't even think that AB is such a threat at PR. I think it is more that he has such reliable hands. I don't think they will replace.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
he wasn't much of one last season....teams didn't give him much of a chance......

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Which leads me to believe they want a guy back there who basically won't turn it over. They can live without splash plays for no fumbles.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I do hope Ayers and Sutton can take the returning duties and keep AB safe and clean out of ST

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Why can't we put a little, fast, midget back there on KR duty........... ****, I think we allready tried that........ I hope I didn't just start a 166 page doooozZzzzyyie.

Salute the nation

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Ayers? Good luck making the roster if AB, Bryant, Hunter, Juju, DHB and Coates are ahead of you.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
My boy talks the talk.....

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Demarcus-Ayers-says-hell-be-a-No1-receiver-with-Steelers-52984765

Demarcus Ayers catches 250 passes every day following Pittsburgh's OTA sessions.

When asked why he undergoes this daily routine, Ayers' provided a definitive response.

"I do it every day," Ayers told The Times after Thursday's practice. "It’s a lot of catching going on in one day just to accumulate the amount of catches I would get if I was always out there in practice. It’s something that I’m not going to change, even when I become a one."

When he becomes what, exactly?

"A starter," Ayers said.

One of the team's two seventh round picks in 2016, Ayers spent most of his rookie season on the practice squad as he dealt with high and low ankle sprains. He made his NFL debut on Christmas Day against the Ravens, catching a key pass during Pittsburgh's game-winning drive that clinched the AFC North division title while punching the Steelers ticket into the postseason. He caught his first career NFL touchdown reception the following week against the Browns, and caught three passes during Pittsburgh's two postseason victories.

“(The Ravens) game, playing in that environment, woke me up," Ayers said of Pittsburgh's Christmas Day victory over Baltimore, via Steelers.com. "I grew up in the Ravens game. I don’t know if I didn’t play in the Ravens game if I would do the things I did in (the Browns) game. It sparked my career, blocking guys, bringing energy to the team, and earning some trust. Last week gave me a huge confidence boost.”

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin mentioned Ayers when earlier this offseason when discussing Pittsburgh's young players that took advantage of their opportunities to help the team win during the 2016 season.

"I'm excited about guys like Demarcus Ayers who worked his through the practice squad to the active roster to contributing in some ways there in the end," Tomlin said.

Entrenched in the most competitive position battle on the Steelers, Ayers knows one way he can separate himself from the pack during training camp.

"The most important thing for me is trying to win the punt-returning job," said Ayers, who averaged nearly 10 yards per punt return while scoring one touchdown in that capacity during his time at Houston. "That’s going to create opportunities. I’m also a really good third-down guy, as well. I feel like I bring a lot to the table."

While Ayers does have impressive tangibles, it's his intangibles that will win him a place on the team's 53-man roster. The one intangible Ayers unquestionably has is confidence, something that has carried him to this point and what could help him accomplish his goal of being a starting receiving on the NFL level.

"I didn’t know where I was going when I came out of the draft," Ayers said. "I didn't know where my talent would land, didn't know what scheme I fit coming from a spread offense. I think in this league when you show you can do multiple things, guys will pick you up.

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I like Ayers over Rogers..

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I like Ayers over Rogers..

every article has Rogers locked in the slot position....but he and Ayers are extremely similar. If Ayers can wrestle the punt return spot away from AB and show the same level of skill as Rogers out of the slot position then Rogers could be expendable.

I would get out in front of this and trade Rogers or Coates right away to cincy for WJIII

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
every article has Rogers locked in the slot position....but he and Ayers are extremely similar. If Ayers can wrestle the punt return spot away from AB and show the same level of skill as Rogers out of the slot position then Rogers could be expendable.

I would get out in front of this and trade Rogers or Coates right away to cincy for WJIII

Good points but I see DHB being released before AYERS. Not sure that Ayers will be able to outright take Rodger's spot but when Ayers acquires that PR duty, he will be given more and more opertunities as his return skills will get him more snaps because of his play there.

Salute the nation

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Good points but I see DHB being released before AYERS. Not sure that Ayers will be able to outright take Rodger's spot but when Ayers acquires that PR duty, he will be given more and more opertunities as his return skills will get him more snaps because of his play there.

Salute the nation

I'm not sure he would straight up take the slot spot either....but hopefully his ability to play all three spots can get him more time on the field after his PR skills lands him on the roster.....