• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Which 2nd year WR is going to have a breakout year

Which 2nd Year WR is going to have a breakout Year

• Total voters

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
It was a rough choice,but I had to go with Ayers. If Bryant can come back and be the guy he was,but better the offense could be record breaking.

Omar10213245

๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘‚๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿช‚๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒ›๐ŸŒœโ˜‚โ˜”โ„๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿฅบ
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, lets hope Ayers even makes the team

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

It will be a battle as the Steelers had a rightfully so knee jerk reaction to the results at the number two WR spot.

So they brought in a option, had a option return from suspension, another from injury, and still drafted one.

My point is a full house. Someone has to go, and perhaps two someones.

Bey?

Cobi?

Ayers?

drumroll

we shall see

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I liked what I saw from Ayers last year. When he got in the games at the end of the year, he just seemed to get open. That's a good thing. Onto this year though and their is no guarantee he even makes the team. Brown, Bryant, Rogers and JuJu are the top 4. Ayers is fighting for 1 or 2 remaining WR spots. If Coates is catching the ball again in OTA's and preseason, he gets one of the remaining 2. Good problem to have for the Steelers this year. So many of their young WR's got playing time last year and will be much better for it this year.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Ayers should be a stud. he is just fighting a numbers game

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Not everybody agrees Coolie....but there's always hope.

And donโ€™t get me wrong, I like Ayers. But the simple fact of the matter is that this is potentially a very deep group of wide receivers, and it would be hard for any player who isnโ€™t a starter to crack the Steelersโ€™ depth chart there.
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...steelers-stock-watch-wr-demarcus-ayers-stock/

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

I am well aware he is going to be in a battle for a roster spot.

Brown, Bryant and JuJu are the top 3 (as long as Bryant stays clean). Rogers has the inside track for the 4th slot, but he and Ayers are very similar...

so if those 4 make it...that leaves Coates, Heyward-Bey, Ayers and Hamilton fighting for what is hopefully 2 more spots.

Heyward-Bey is valued on special teams and as a veteran in the clubhouse, but does anyone get excited when you see the ball thrown his way? Cobi is pretty much a lesser version of Bryant and Coates Both these guys could be cut

Coates is going to have to show his alligator arms are cured and the ability to fight for contested balls...he is very good going deep as long as he gets behind the coverage...and his fingers have to be healed...

Ayers is a future HOF wr who was limited by high and low ankle sprains in training camp. He showed some flashes when injuries opened up a spot for him on the roster. He is going to have to show he can replace AB on punt returns and continue to do the little things like solid blocking when called upon to have a shot at sticking on the roster.

Then there are the other two...Justin Hunter and Severin....both have talent and could get in the mix....Hunter has under performed but he has not had a decent QB...now he will, if he gets time with Ben....Severin had a shot at the roster last season before being sidelined with a shoulder injury....

The battle is likely going to come down to who stays healthiest and who can also help out on special teams...and who can stay off the weed.....

Ayers has a shot...but right now, at best, he is on the bubble.....

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Not everybody agrees Coolie....but there's always hope.

he places him right where I do right now...right on the edge...he says Ayers in 7th on his list right now which as I said puts him on the bubble....

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
he places him right where I do right now...right on the edge...he says Ayers in 7th on his list right now which as I said puts him on the bubble....

Like you said, it all comes down to the healthiest of the ones that are performing the best at the end of camp.

Same goes for my guy, 'Dirty Red'. He's got to get to gettin' too.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The winner in this poll might not even make the 53 man roster.

Omar10213245

๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘‚๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿช‚๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒ›๐ŸŒœโ˜‚โ˜”โ„๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿฅบ
Contributor
Reaction score
I am well aware he is going to be in a battle for a roster spot.

Brown, Bryant and JuJu are the top 3 (as long as Bryant stays clean). Rogers has the inside track for the 4th slot, but he and Ayers are very similar...

so if those 4 make it...that leaves Coates, Heyward-Bey, Ayers and Hamilton fighting for what is hopefully 2 more spots.

Heyward-Bey is valued on special teams and as a veteran in the clubhouse, but does anyone get excited when you see the ball thrown his way? Cobi is pretty much a lesser version of Bryant and Coates Both these guys could be cut

Coates is going to have to show his alligator arms are cured and the ability to fight for contested balls...he is very good going deep as long as he gets behind the coverage...and his fingers have to be healed...

Ayers is a future HOF wr who was limited by high and low ankle sprains in training camp. He showed some flashes when injuries opened up a spot for him on the roster. He is going to have to show he can replace AB on punt returns and continue to do the little things like solid blocking when called upon to have a shot at sticking on the roster.

Then there are the other two...Justin Hunter and Severin....both have talent and could get in the mix....Hunter has under performed but he has not had a decent QB...now he will, if he gets time with Ben....Severin had a shot at the roster last season before being sidelined with a shoulder injury....

The battle is likely going to come down to who stays healthiest and who can also help out on special teams...and who can stay off the weed.....

Ayers has a shot...but right now, at best, he is on the bubble.....

well hot damn. this might be your best post over, coolieman :)

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
The winner in this poll might not even make the 53 man roster.

omar already pointed that out and I implied that in my post also....thanks for bringing NOTHING new to the topic...just like always

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Severin will keep having problems making the team since the team colors match house Hufflepuff...

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I like Ayers Coolie. He did nothing wrong and is a devent prospect. But he isn't with Rogers on the depth chart. Sorry.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I like Ayers Coolie. He did nothing wrong and is a devent prospect. But he isn't with Rogers on the depth chart. Sorry.

it is possible he could beat out Rogers for his spot on the roster...Ayers is able to play all three receiver spots not just the slot like Rogers.....

I've said many times, Ayers best chance is if he can play well enough to take the punt return duties away from AB.....he was hampered by high and low ankle sprains last training camp so hopefully he is fully healthy this time around and can flash the skills he showed at UH.....

steelpastor

Reaction score
it is possible he could beat out Rogers for his spot on the roster...Ayers is able to play all three receiver spots not just the slot like Rogers.....

Coolie... I don't see it, but I am open to the possibility. How is it that Ayers is an option on the outside? I understand that workout numbers don't tell the whole story. However, a 4.70 40, a 4.30 3-cone and a 4.35 shuttle do not scream speedy or shifty (I expected much more stellar numbers)). I will agree that a 35" vertical for a 5'9" is impressive and shows explosion. Fill me in... what am I missing.