• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What is Tomlin's record vs. 25% winning record teams or lower?

6Rings

Reaction score
I am pulling my cowardly gutless fan card, and rooting for the patriots against the cowboys in the super bowl...

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Ben's play, along with the defense making awful QBs look like Joe Montana, are almost always the primary reasons (on the field that we can see) that these games go down the *******.

So yeah, Ben gets a huge share of the blame for the debacle. But if I'm a guy getting paid to develop plans for these games, I undoubtedly understand this tendency by now, and build in a strategy to ensure that the QB is aware he needs to take what is given to him instead of forcing things. Part of that is a conversation, maybe some one on one film study, calling plays that feature Le'Veon or James as safety valves. I mean, I just feel like this group has a WOEFUL lack of self-awareness. They have no strategy in place to self-correct when they are getting cocky, or when they are trying to force things that aren't working. It's both coaches and players, but the coaches ultimately need to be the adults in the room and develop that self-awareness and put failsafes in place.

I've said in different threads Bell needs to be the focal point of game plans. He is our best player IMO. That's on the coaches. And if Tomlin is not on.the headsets saying ok enough of this **** give the ball to Bell then shame on him

Last edited:

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score
I've said in different threads Bell needs to be the focal point of game plans. He is our best player IMO. That's on the coaches.

is it? or is it Ben calling plays?

if Ben were smart, Bell would be getting tons. so would James...then Brown is open...

deljzc

Reaction score
We were 7.5 point favorites.

I have it written down on a spreadsheet at work and will tell you all how often Tomlin has lost as 7+ point favorites. It's not pretty.

Those that say this happens often to Tomlin aren't incorrect. It happens. And Coach is right that often these games we throw away as 7+ point favorites cost us. Either between missing the playoff and making it (in 2009) or being a wildcard and being a #1 or #2 seed. It matters.

It will matter this season. Even if the best scenario looks like we have to go INTO New England rather than play them in Pittsburgh.

Our schedule is a cakewalk. Everyone here knows it. We've been favored EVERY ******* GAME folks. And there might be one or two games on the whole schedule we aren't favored. And we NEVER LEAVE THE EASTERN TIME ZONE.

If we don't get a #1 or #2 seed it's a monumental failure and all the homers here that love Tomlin and defend everything this organization does no matter what will try to convince us that 10-6 is the best ******* ice cream in the world when it's really a bowl of pea soup. And Tomlin will still have his precious "no losing season" record while we probably lose on the road (as a favorite maybe) in the wildcard round.

It's the same old, same old with this organization. 10-6 is good enough for you fans and it's good enough for Tomlin and Colbert and ownership that keeps cashing the checks.

We're not as good as we should be. It's really as simple as that.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
2-8 is not excitable and giving Tomlin a pass by saying he gives us this type game twice a year is OK makes what kind of sense. Tomlin has changed the character of this team and when we see games as today where there is no enthusiasm, no physical play, when you are playing a team 1-4 , you have to look at the head man. I don't care about Cowher, I care that we have a QB and offense that can carry us in the playoffs BUT you still need a defense. We have a defense that rolls the dice every series, either to give up a field goal or TD. We have shown no thought of getting better, we give up to many third and very long plays, we give up to many yards on first down and the most pathetic part is we give up to many yards after a very weak attempt at tackling. We very seldom stop a team to get even fair field position. How many times has the offense start behind the ten yard line. So someone is not getting the coaching part across to the players. We are wasting Ben's ability. Tomlin has not addressed the defense, he has not drafted very well. So we are stuck because the Rooney's may not do anything, does not mean we as fans need to accept it.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
is it? or is it Ben calling plays?

if Ben were smart, Bell would be getting tons. so would James...then Brown is open...

That's what we will never know but when they are lined up in shotgun I will place.the blame on the coaches. We can easily line up with a FB or under center and run the ball. But nope we are constantly lined up in shotgun and letting defenses dictate to us whether Bell is getting the ball depending on whether Ben changes the call. Instead of power football

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
How about when Miami and a rookie tannehill came here in December and beat us, Ben almost 359yds, 3 TD's, 115 rating

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
If it's a no huddle Ben is probably calling the plays, if not it's coming from the sideline

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
How about 2014 at home vs Tampa, Ben 300+yds, 3 TDs, 120+ qb rating and we still lost

That's one game. Thank you cause I didn't remember it.. which is my point. As the FRANCHISE QB. Shouldn't there be more??? There should be a lot more.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I am pulling my cowardly gutless fan card, and rooting for the patriots against the cowboys in the super bowl...

**** dude, either that is sarcasm or your better off rooting for the "other" guys. Chicken Little..................

Salute the nation

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
2012 4-8 SD came here in december, Ben 300 yards , 3 tds, 1 int, 90 qb rating we lost

M

Mavros

Tomlin was prepared as usual today.

Cool shades -check
Cool shirt- check
Big cross to be worn outside of cool shirt- check

Nothing new from this empty suit.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If it's a no huddle Ben is probably calling the plays, if not it's coming from the sideline

Sorry cornea, I think in both cases you have the headset going and today, the players didn't seem to be hurrying back to the line at all. I think in the "hurry up" both OC and Ben are still responsible as they have practiced it amongst the week and defined what plays they want.

Salute the nation

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
How about unleash hell month, we lost to 2-7 KC with Matt ******* Cassell at qb, Ben threw for 389 39 out of 49 with a qb rating of 110

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
2012 4-8 SD came here in december, Ben 300 yards , 3 tds, 1 int, 90 qb rating we lost

You do know I'm reading the recaps of these games as you post and the stats doesn't mean he played well..particularly the chargers game. Where he also lost a fumble to go with that pick. The bucs game he is described as overthrowing WRs in the 4th

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Same month Bruce Gradkowski and the 3-8 raiders came here and beat our ***, Ben only missed 6 passes that day almost 300 yards with a 123 qb rating