• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What is Tomlin's record vs. 25% winning record teams or lower?

P

POP

The evidence is screaming clear that Tomlin sucks getting his teams focused when facing the worst team in the NFL.

Horrid.

Terrible.

Last I knew he was something like 2-8 vs. 25% win or worse teams.

Since he won and lost games with such losing records. So is he 3-9 now?

That is just awful.

There is no way to sugar coat it: heading into games vs. the very worst teams, Tomlin simply doesn't have this team focused or prepared. It is downright embarrassing.

How can anyone even try to defend this powerfully obvious trend?

And it's not as if he has identified this trend and corrected it; he just keeps on sucking at preparing this team vs. the worst teams in the league.

That was a clown car multiple collision out there today: Clown bodies were spread askew all over the field.

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
The players are getting paid too. If you need a rah rah speech to do your job you aren't much of a player in my book. I coach junior football and we have had some loaded teams. I had an opposing coach flip out at me when our fifth RB ran a dive play up the middle for a seventy yard TD when we were up thirty and trying to run out the clock. I kindly informed him that I coach my kids to play until the final whistle, and I won't allow my reserves to play down for the opponent. Make your kids tackle, it's part of the game. Their last play, a pedestrian, nobody RB ran seventy yards for a score when everybody in the country knew they were running out the clock. He looked like a HOFer today after being benched most of the season. That's not coaching, it's gutless effort by your players.

The loaded offense did absolutely nothing all day. The only one who played like himself was LeVeon and they didn't get him the ball. They all count one and we're in the lead in the division since they all **** the bed today too. If you've been around for thirty years you've seen this plenty of times. It isn't a new phenomenon.

Frosty

Reaction score
No use complaining. Rooney's wont do a damn thing about it.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
No use complaining. Rooney's wont do a damn thing about it.

Firing and turning over the coaching staff every time the team goes through a rough stretch is how you become the Browns. Seems to be working great for them. The Steelers have been consistently solid over the years for a reason. Because they don't overreact and blow it all up every two years.

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
Firing and turning over the coaching staff every time the team goes through a rough stretch is how you become the Browns. Seems to be working great for them. The Steelers have been consistently solid over the years for a reason. Because they don't overreact and blow it all up every two years.

This. He isn't going anywhere. The skeleton second string defense we used today didn't help. The offense had to do their job and they failed miserably. Teams lose games when they shouldn't. It happens every week. We have to make the playoff's and get some damn healthy bodies out there, especially on defense.

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
Under Tomlin the Steelers are good for a couple of these horrible losses per year, preventing them from securing home field in the playoffs. We'd be working on number 9 or 10 if Cowher was still the coach.

LOL. Dude come on now. He won one himself in how many years? The league is built for parody, we're in the mix every year.

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score
I think it's Ben and the players on O...not the coaches. used to blame them for the O, now it's on Ben calling plays...control the ball!

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Under Tomlin the Steelers are good for a couple of these horrible losses per year, preventing them from securing home field in the playoffs. We'd be working on number 9 or 10 if Cowher was still the coach.

Lol I'm not even joking, I seriously thought you meant we'd be on our 9th and 10th loss to a horrible team if Cowher was here.....because Cowher had more than his share as well. Hence the long track record of this happening in the Burgh. You really think Cowher was good for an additional 5-6 SB's? Listen I love Cowher but it took him 14 years.....to win 1. That is despite having 10 playoff teams. We always tend to build up the past when we are frustrated at the present.

Last edited:

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

So true. Tomlin teams bring it here and there. Cowher teams knew how to get the job done though

Supersteeler

Reaction score
So true. Tomlin teams bring it here and there. Cowher teams knew how to get the job done though

Good Lord people have some short memories. Either that or look at the past with with rose colored glasses. Cowher's teams lost to ****** opponents about as often as Tomlin's do.

Reactions: MTC

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's Ben and the players on O...not the coaches. used to blame them for the O, now it's on Ben calling plays...control the ball!

Again agreed. Ben is on the field. Needs to learn when to chuck it to 3rd/4th options. Nuff said

Steelerz99

Forefather
Reaction score
Lol I'm not even joking, I seriously thought you meant we'd be on our 9th and 10th loss to a horrible team if Cowher was here.....because Cowher had more than his share as well. Hence the long track record of this happening in the Burgh. You really think Cowher was good for an additional 5-6 SB's? Listen I love Cowher but it took him 14 years.....to win 1. That is despite having 10 playoff teams. We always tend to build up the past when we are frustrated at the present.

While there is some merit to your thought process, the Steelers w/Cowher AND Ben, were 34-14, and 5-1 in the playoff, and that last year they were 8-8, was when dipshit got in the bike wreck and had other issues. Once he got healthy, they finished 6-2. While I don't automatically agree they'd be on " 9or 10", he DID have some success that cool shades hasn't. 15-1? Damn

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
While there is some merit to your thought process, the Steelers w/Cowher AND Ben, were 34-14, and 5-1 in the playoff, and that last year they were 8-8, was when dipshit got in the bike wreck and had other issues. Once he got healthy, they finished 6-2. While I don't automatically agree they'd be on " 9or 10", he DID have some success that cool shades hasn't. 15-1? Damn

^^^^
Ding ding

Anywho. I'm out for the day. Love ya guys. Chins up

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think the players need a "rah rah" speech or that they need to fire Tomlin..

I think the coaches need to take each opponent more seriously when developing game plans for each individual week. I believe they thought they would come out and have immediate success and the game would fall into their hands. They need to be able to prep for when things don't click immediately.

The player similarly need to come out just as focused on winning their match ups and playing like every play matters. Games against the *s count just as much in the W/L column as games against the Dolphins. They need to bring it every week but they get cocky and think they won't have to bring it to win.

So no, it's not about a rah rah speech or hiring a new coach. It's about everyone collectively saying they are tired of these annual letdowns against **** teams and staying committed and focused throughout the week and throughout the game to having success the same way they do against others

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

Partly agree but remember Cowher missed out on two Super Bowls because of the Pats**** cheating.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Cowher isn't coming back, and his team's didn't lay eggs as much as Tomlin's teams have vs ****** teams, with a franchise qb.
This isn't all on Tomlin the players sucked too, but Tomlin has been here through all these losses and he is the coach, it's his job to have the team focused and have a good game plan. In a lot of these ****** losses we have a ****** game plan and our defense looked like the same one from Philly, give the qb all day and give huge cushions to the WR's.

The injuries aren't helping either

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I do not buy this argument that Cowher's teams were the same.

Not THIS often, THIS predictably, and against teams THIS bad.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Cowher isn't coming back, and his team's didn't lay eggs as much as Tomlin's teams have vs ****** teams, with a franchise qb.
This isn't all on Tomlin the players sucked too, but Tomlin has been here through all these losses and he is the coach, it's his job to have the team focused and have a good game plan. In a lot of these ****** losses we have a ****** game plan and our defense looked like the same one from Philly, give the qb all day and give huge cushions to the WR's.

The injuries aren't helping either

And again show me one loss against these sub 500 teams that our franchise QB played well...

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
And again show me one loss against these sub 500 teams that our franchise QB played well...

Ben's play, along with the defense making awful QBs look like Joe Montana, are almost always the primary reasons (on the field that we can see) that these games go down the *******.

So yeah, Ben gets a huge share of the blame for the debacle. But if I'm a guy getting paid to develop plans for these games, I undoubtedly understand this tendency by now, and build in a strategy to ensure that the QB is aware he needs to take what is given to him instead of forcing things. Part of that is a conversation, maybe some one on one film study, calling plays that feature Le'Veon or James as safety valves. I mean, I just feel like this group has a WOEFUL lack of self-awareness. They have no strategy in place to self-correct when they are getting cocky, or when they are trying to force things that aren't working. It's both coaches and players, but the coaches ultimately need to be the adults in the room and develop that self-awareness and put failsafes in place.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I never said he had a good game.

I'm assuming since you said WITH A FRANCHISE QB that the FRANCHISE QB wasn't the issue in the majority of those losses. Since he is the FRANCHISE QB I'm assuming he was a big part of the game plan in most if not all of those games. And off the top of my head I can't remember one where he had a monster game and we lost despite his efforts that day.