• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Welcome to the Steelers Payton Wilson

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Baldy's breakdowns just get me fired up.

I get teams don’t like to invest in the medical question marks or are reluctant to. Money, availability, etc. But this guy is definitely worth the risk. Instinctive, speedy, athletic, a hitter. Produces.

He is what Polamalu would be if he would have been born a LBer.

And he has already encountered injury with no drop off so you don’t have to worry that any given year an injury would hold him back the following season mentally. Physically sure maybe who knows.

I think the Steelers of old let this one pass right by.

I am happy they are taken some chances because this team needs more than what they have given.

Maybe get a little more with this new approach. A playoff win here and there would be a mixed drink served perfectly tasty. Or at least fail trying. But try.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
He is impressive, but it feels like a luxury pick in the 3rd round, especially after signing Queen. Same with McCormick in the 4th.

There is merit in BPA, but it is just not realistic to go that route in every situation, as sometimes strengths and weaknesses of the roster need to be considered.

I like this draft overall, but still not thrilled about them waiting as long as they did to address CB and DL.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
He is impressive, but it feels like a luxury pick in the 3rd round, especially after signing Queen. Same with McCormick in the 4th.

There is merit in BPA, but it is just not realistic to go that route in every situation, as sometimes strengths and weaknesses of the roster need to be considered.

I like this draft overall, but still not thrilled about them waiting as long as they did to address CB and DL.
Not so luxurious as Roberts who is a lone wolf out there to start the season isn’t a top cover backer.

So Queen can handle his side you like to have some more capable options with Holcomb out who knows how long.

With the way Steelers go through ILbers you definitely welcome the added body too.

Poobah

Reaction score
kid looks like a baller.
I worry that picking him might be showing the hand on Hulc's recovery.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
kid looks like a baller.
I worry that picking him might be showing the hand on Hulc's recovery.
**** teams know he had a significant injury the news helped clarify it if they didn’t. No poker facing the known known.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Not so luxurious as Roberts who is a lone wolf out there to start the season isn’t a top cover backer.

So Queen can handle his side you like to have some more capable options with Holcomb out who knows how long.

With the way Steelers go through ILbers you definitely welcome the added body too.
Roberts isn’t the low man on the pole Slash, during the simulcast on SNR they indicated internally that the staff is worried about Holcombe being able to come back as he was before shredding his knee (again).

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Roberts isn’t the low man on the pole Slash, during the simulcast on SNR they indicated internally that the staff is worried about Holcombe being able to come back as he was before shredding his knee (again).
Makes sense so they were wise to put plans in place.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

I get this if you're talking the first or second round. After that the goal should be to find the best players possible, not just to fill a need.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
I get this if you're talking the first or second round. After that the goal should be to find the best players possible, not just to fill a need.

I believe you can find players in the 3rd and 4th rounds capable of contributing early and filling a need.

Obviously not as easy as the 1st or 2nd rounds, but the fifth round or later seems to be when it becomes a complete crap shoot, depending on how deep a given draft is.

I'm not overly upset about the Payton Wilson or McCormick picks, as they do seem like strong value picks, but I would have liked at least one of those picks to be used elsewhere.

If nothing else, maybe they've set themselves up to focus on CB and DL early in next year's draft.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
The dude can flat out fly!! put that dude in at safety/ linebacker and forget about it! we’ll be in on every play! We haven’t had a guy like him that can kill te’s in awhile!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Steelers are leading the league in Wilsons.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I believe you can find players in the 3rd and 4th rounds capable of contributing early and filling a need.

Obviously not as easy as the 1st or 2nd rounds, but the fifth round or later seems to be when it becomes a complete crap shoot, depending on how deep a given draft is.

I'm not overly upset about the Payton Wilson or McCormick picks, as they do seem like strong value picks, but I would have liked at least one of those picks to be used elsewhere.

If nothing else, maybe they've set themselves up to focus on CB and DL early in next year's draft.
Its actually less ability and more opportunity related... a first round pick will be given every chance to make it. A seventh will be cut first boneheaded mistake... there is a huge amount of sunk cost bias in sports... tge few coaches who have been able to get past that have been all timers...

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Possibly the best LB in the draft in the late 3rd round? Take the chance. Well done!