• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

VROOMM! VROOMM! NASCAR thread.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Man, Tony needs a new crew chief. He ran in the top 5 -10 consistently then start pitting during every caution later in the race. Got shuffled back to the 20's and never could recover. What a waste of a good racecar. His season has been for ****. Should have never dumped Darian Grubb.

Spike

Reaction score
Whatever magic Kyle found, it's working...another pole

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Pocono:
This might be a record for the most cautions in the first half of a race. 7 so far.

Spike

Reaction score
Ha Ha!

What a wild finish. A miracle win! 3 leaders run out of gas in final 2 laps!

I'll take it

635741364871844462-USP-NASCAR--Windows-10-400.3.jpg

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Ha Ha!

What a wild finish. A miracle win! 3 leaders run out of gas in final 2 laps!

I'll take it

635741364871844462-USP-NASCAR--Windows-10-400.3.jpg

It felt funny not being there. Up until last year we went to the second Pocono race every year for 27 years.

Spike

Reaction score
Max - If Matt was up front racing hard the last 20 laps he would have probably run out of gas too! I guess it was a good day not to have good restarts..I never thought he'd win Pocono

so I just bought a new #20 camo hat to celebrate \ suh-wee

matt-kenseth-camo-trapper-hat-2.gif

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
Watkins Glenn up next. There have been some really bad wrecks at that place over the years. Check some of them out:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I'd like to go to Watkins Glen sometime. It's not real far from here. My wife's brother and sister and some other people go there for the sporty car races a lot.

Steel G

Reaction score
I'd like to go to Watkins Glen sometime. It's not real far from here. My wife's brother and sister and some other people go there for the sporty car races a lot.

Just was there a couple weeks ago for the Vintage Gran Prix. I really love the track. Haven't been there for a Nascar race, but that was my second Vintage race and I really enjoy it because it's pretty cheap and you can roam the entire track and the pit area, sit in any area and just see lots and lots of old school race cars. And the town itself is a nice little piece of Americana. And at this year's event, I got to test drive the new V8 Jaguar Ftype....one word, amazing.

Steel G

Reaction score
Looks small - could I fit in it?

03-2014-jaguar-f-type-v8-s-review-1.jpg

I'm 6'2" 200 and fit in with plenty of room to spare. This was the all wheel drive coupe with 550 horses which they let you drive around a tiny obstacle course set up in one of the parking lots. Couldn't exactly open it all the way up, but it was fun.

Spike

Reaction score
The Dominator!

Matt-Kenseth-Wins-Michigan-400-jpg.jpg

Max Power

Forefather
Reaction score
Glad TRD finally got off the pot. Bringing it every week now. About time.

Spike

Reaction score
Matt could ssssweep Bristol this year! Sat night under the lights

nascar-cup-bristol-2015-matt-kenseth-joe-gibbs-racing-toyota.jpg

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Joonyer finished a strong third to remain in the Chase. Jimmuh Johnson broke down early, finished 41st, and out of the Chase. My boy Aric Almirola in the Petty #43 car finished 5th. Tony Stewart announced that he will retire as a driver after next season.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Just was there a couple weeks ago for the Vintage Gran Prix. I really love the track. Haven't been there for a Nascar race, but that was my second Vintage race and I really enjoy it because it's pretty cheap and you can roam the entire track and the pit area, sit in any area and just see lots and lots of old school race cars. And the town itself is a nice little piece of Americana. And at this year's event, I got to test drive the new V8 Jaguar Ftype....one word, "***** GALORE".

Fixed that for ya...

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Mr. Harvick gave me a scare - but, he DOMINATED yesterday and it's on to the next round!!! Go Harv!!! #4winsANOTHERchampionship

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Saturday night race in Charlotte is postponed to Sunday due to rain. Usually I go to this race with my buds and camp in the infield but this is finals week for me.

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
The race season is WAY too long. After football starts, I and many other people rarely watch. I did catch the end of the 'Dega race the other day though. It sure looked to me like Happy Harvick caused the last wreck on purpose to stay in the chase.

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
NASCAR parks Matt Kenseth 2 races for wrecking Joey Logano
13h - NASCAR MATT KENSETH +3 more
play
Bob Pockrass, NASCAR
Shares
Email
print
comment
NASCAR has suspended Sprint Cup driver Matt Kenseth for two races after he wrecked leader Joey Logano with 47 laps remaining during the Goody's 500 on Sunday at Martinsville Speedway.

The crash appeared to be in response to an incident from two weeks earlier, when Logano turned Kenseth for the win with five laps remaining at Kansas Speedway, a move that eventually kept Kenseth from advancing to the third round of the Chase for the Sprint Cup.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Pockrass: NASCAR shares blame in Kenseth suspension
Matt Kenseth is sitting out two races, pending appeal, for taking down Joey Logano on Sunday. NASCAR really had no choice. NASCAR is also very much to blame for all of it.
Earlier Sunday, Kenseth had been involved in a wreck with Logano's Penske Racing teammate Brad Keselowski. In the second incident, Kenseth was 10 laps down when he drove Logano, the race leader at the time, into the wall.

"Based upon our extensive review, we have concluded that the No. 20 car driver, who is no longer in the Chase, intentionally wrecked the No. 22 car driver, a Chase-eligible competitor who was leading the race at the time," said Steve O'Donnell, NASCAR executive vice president and chief racing development officer. "The No. 20 car was nine laps down and eliminated the No. 22 car's opportunity to continue to compete in the race.

"Additionally, we factored aspects of safety into our decision and also the fact that the new Chase elimination format puts a premium on each and every race. These actions have no place in NASCAR."

Joey Logano's No. 22 car was clipped from behind by Matt Kenseth during Sunday's Sprint Cup race at Martinsville Speedway. Brian Lawdermilk/NASCAR/Getty Images
A Joe Gibbs Racing spokesman confirmed JGR will appeal the suspension, and a NASCAR spokesman said the appeal will be expedited, which means it could occur prior to the race Sunday at Texas Motor Speedway. NASCAR will not defer the suspension pending appeal.

If it cannot have its appeal heard by this weekend or loses the appeal, JGR would use development driver Erik Jones, who currently leads in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series standings and drove one Cup race in place of the injured Kyle Busch earlier this year, to replace Kenseth. Kenseth also was put on probation for six months.

"The appeal will challenge the severity of the penalty, which is believed to be inconsistent with previous penalties for similar on-track incidents," JGR said in a statement.

Both JGR and NASCAR officials said they would have no additional comment.

JGR driver Denny Hamlin took to Twitter to defend his teammate:

Although Kenseth's car was heavily damaged at Martinsville, NASCAR told his team not to repair it and that he couldn't return to the race, the first of the playoff's third round.

After the race, Kenseth didn't directly answer whether he turned Logano intentionally.

"The right front was dragging down there and probably should've went to the garage area and went into the corner there and, man, couldn't get it to turn and collected him," Kenseth said. "I know it's got to be disappointing for him, you know? It's a tough sport. Some days you're the bat, and some days you're the ball. I was the ball a few weeks ago, and I was the ball again today, so that part is never fun."

Earlier Tuesday, NASCAR chairman Brian France said he doesn't want drivers to take matters into their own hands.

"What we're not going to do is take the style of NASCAR and parlay that into something where one driver or another believes the way to pay back somebody for something that happened is to take matters into their own hands," France said on SiriusXM Radio's NASCAR Channel "Morning Drive' show. "Obviously, we won't be accepting that. The most important thing is the way to pay drivers back is to race them hard. ... What happened on Sunday, that's not quite the way we would have liked to have seen that turn out."

France said he didn't think Sunday's incident was similar to Logano's spinning out Kenseth last month at Kansas.

"There's going to be contact, and there's going to be somebody who had a lot on the line, [such as] in Matt's case in Kansas, where you just simply get the absolute short end of the straw," France said. "And we hope that never happens, but that is going to happen."

Logano finished 37th Sunday. He is 28 points back of the current cutoff to be one of the four drivers eligible for the championship at Homestead-Miami Speedway, which means he likely will need to earn one of the automatic bids by winning either this Sunday at Texas or the following week at Phoenix.

The sanctioning body has been reluctant to suspend drivers in general for in-race retaliation and, even in the most egregious instances, has typically only issued a one-race suspension.

In 2012, NASCAR didn't suspend Jeff Gordon after he intentionally wrecked Clint Bowyer at Phoenix International Raceway and eliminated Bowyer from Chase contention. NASCAR fined Gordon $100,000 and docked him 25 points.

"We want to be as consistent as we can, but remember, this format is much different than it's ever been and there is more on the line [each race]," France said on SiriusXM. "We knew that when this format was developed, it would present some unique situations for drivers to take more chances and have to win in many cases -- and it would make the job of officiating the events much more difficult for us. ...

"At the end of the day, there is a real clear set of requirements to be a NASCAR driver and a set of rules, and we'll make sure to have a bright line whenever we need to."

Kenseth, the 2003 Cup champion who has had 12 wins the past three seasons, since replacing Logano at Joe Gibbs Racing, has 36 career wins in 577 starts. His streak of 571 consecutive starts, which would end if he misses Texas, is second among active drivers. Gordon, who will retire after this season, is first.

NASCAR also penalized Danica Patrick for retaliation against David Gilliland in the race. It docked Patrick 25 points, fined her $50,000 and put her on probation through the end of the season.

Max Power

Forefather
Reaction score
Punk *** moldy bread deserved it. Highlight of the weekend on the tube.