• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trade for a back up QB?

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't believe they will trade anything.
I think they have Gradkowski as #2 and are good with him barring his injury being a concern.

like him or not Landry Jones isn't a huge concern, but I do think they are looking at other teams back ups as cut down dates happen.

Trade Vince Williams,?, a 6th round pick, who could easily start on this team if it weren't for two #1s in front of him. He isn't going anywhere. Not for a #3 position

ark steel

Reaction score
I don't believe they will trade anything.
I think they have Gradkowski as #2 and are good with him barring his injury being a concern.

like him or not Landry Jones isn't a huge concern, but I do think they are looking at other teams back ups as cut down dates happen.

Trade Vince Williams,?, a 6th round pick, who could easily start on this team if it weren't for two #1s in front of him. He isn't going anywhere. Not for a #3 position

No way I trade away Vince. that is crazy.

I'd also be hesitant to trade away Wheaton or Rogers. Trade either and one injury takes WR from a very good depth position to a concern.

Realistically, what do you expect from a 4th or 5th round pick? Prescott was a 4th and he is already on the road to the HoF. I'd trade either, but not sure the Bucs would take that. The condition would be that Glennon has to agree to a contract that keeps him here after this year.

ZACKB

Reaction score
What about Geno Smith? Would you trade a seventh rounder for him?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
What about Geno Smith? Would you trade a seventh rounder for him?

No way. Geno is not the brightest and turns the ball over. He would be useless this year.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Jets will not trade Hackenberg or Petty. Geno may be cut or traded.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Jets will not trade Hackenberg or Petty. Geno may be cut or traded.

There is literally not a single tradable asset the Steelers have that I would give up for Hackenberg anyway

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I would say that Pittsburgh is a pretty desirable location for the best cut QB's because:
1. they are pretty stable with their backup QB's Gradkowski and Jones have done what to keep their paycheck the last three years?
2. Ben is in the later parts of his career and does get hurt frequently. There is opportunity to resurrect a career here. And while I don't believe our next great QB will come from a free agent cast off., I'm sure prospective players would believe in themselves.
If there is someone really good that they believe in and it cost a low draft pick ,I'd be ok with that. But I think they would be just as good on the waiver wire and should have a good choice of the cuts.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
As crazy as this sounds I think it makes sense....the Raiders have 3 QBs in camp (Carr, McGloin and rookie Connor Cook from MSU). McGloin is one of those cerebral game manager QBs I would compare to Batch. McGloin is also in his fourth year like Landry but has much more actual on field play time and double digit higher QB rating on a worse offensive team. They are going to keep Cook just because he has a much higher ceiling. You don't break the bank and have a somewhat serviceable game manager if needed.

papillon

Reaction score
I say it's too much to give up, especially the Wheaton part.

You have to give up something to get something. I asked myself this question about Wheaton or Rogers. Would I rather be playing football in December without Wheaton or Jones? And, my answer kept being that I'd rather not have Jones on the field and if that means Wheaton is gone as well then so be it. If Jones is playing, would it matter if the Steelers have Wheaton or Rogers? Probably not. So, for me, I'd rather trade a promising WR to get a QB that could be up to the challenge of the NFL, sometimes you have to roll the dice. Ben is another year older now as well, so the SB opportunities are diminishing as well. It was a long, long time between Bradshaw and Ben.

Papillon

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
You have to give up something to get something. I asked myself this question about Wheaton or Rogers. Would I rather be playing football in December without Wheaton or Jones? And, my answer kept being that I'd rather not have Jones on the field and if that means Wheaton is gone as well then so be it. If Jones is playing, would it matter if the Steelers have Wheaton or Rogers? Probably not. So, for me, I'd rather trade a promising WR to get a QB that could be up to the challenge of the NFL, sometimes you have to roll the dice. Ben is another year older now as well, so the SB opportunities are diminishing as well. It was a long, long time between Bradshaw and Ben.

Papillon

I don't trade a starter for a backup, trades like that could get a GM fired.

C

Clete

As much as I love Glennon he is not coming here and we can't afford him. He has already turned down 6 million a year from the Bucs and he wants to be a starting QB, He is already better than half the starters in the NFL, he threw 19 TDs as a rookie with a bad team in part time duty.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
There is literally not a single tradable asset the Steelers have that I would give up for Hackenberg anyway

20001005pdfu1005.jpg