• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trade for a back up QB?

P

POP

Huge mistake passing on Prescott in the 4th.

Yea, we took a swing OT project. Damn, would have been nice if they grabbed Dak, but they were still intent on proving Jones wasn't a bad pick, so they couldn't draft a QB

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Was Prescott even on their board? Seemed like they weren't interested in taking a QB. I think we have to face the reality that LJ is our best option

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Was Prescott even on their board? Seemed like they weren't interested in taking a QB. I think we have to face the reality that LJ is our best option

I believe he was the only QB they expressed interest in.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
It was after he went to Philly, and yea, he basically said he never really learned the playbook that well in ATL.

Can you post the link. In Atlanta. But he played for Philly and then the Jets after. He learned those?? So it can't be NEVER correct.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Vick joined the team in time for week 3 of the preseason (the Steelers 4th preseason game, due to Pittsburgh playing in an additional game, the Hall of Fame game.) Due to the timing and circumstances of his signing last year, Vick joined the team days following the end of training camp, and with a couple of preseason games to workout with the team.

The lack of camp time would come back to haunt the Steelers, when Ben Roethlisberger was injured in the Steelers third regular season game. Vick entered the game, and struggled to move the first team offense. He would be further exposed in a terrible situation, where Vick had a short week of practically no practice, to prepare to play the Baltimore Ravens 4 days later on Thursday Night Football. Despite the lack of prepration, Vick may have lead the Steelers to a win, if not for two missed field goals. (Rather, Pittsburgh lost a heartbreaker in overtime, which included two sandlot plays drawn up on the sidelines, since the team couldn't trust attempting a game-winning field goal on two fourth down attempts.)

Vick, would vindicate the loss in the next game against the Chargers, completing a long pass to Markus Wheaton and driving to team to a last-second goal line touchdown by Le'Veon Bell. Following that game, Vick would again struggle against the Arizona Cardinals, before leaving that game with an injury, and making way for the Steelers 4th QB option of the 2015 season, Landry Jones.

Vick would not see the field again in 2015.

While Vick didn't appear effective at times during his tenure, we had suggested on a recent podcast that the quarterback's issues stemmed from a lack of time to learn the playbook. Essentially Vick was tossed into the fire with about 6 weeks to learn the Steelers offense, before going under center. Additionally, he only attempted 10 total passes in his two preseason appearances; hardly time to prep to be a full-time replacement for Big Ben.

When compared with similar scenarios, such as Dallas with Matt Cassell, I'd feel fortunate that Vick was resigned to being a game manager and not attempting to do anything too crazy. We estimate that Vick had maybe 25% of the playbook at his disposal when playing against the Rams and Ravens, and not much more than that a week later against the Cardinals.

Those limitations could've been problematic with Vick having trouble connecting with receivers Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant as well, something Landry Jones had a bit more success in doing:

Vick to AB: 9 for 19 – 85 yards, 0 TD, 4 first downs
Landry Jones to AB: 12 for 17 – 232 yards, 0 TD, 8 1st downs
Vick to Bryant: 2/3 8 yds, 0 TD, 0 1st downs
Landry Jones to Bryant: 8/16 179 yds 3 TD, 7 1st downs
Landry Jones, who was (and for some still is) not considered a real alternative under center, had a bit more success with those receivers, as well as winning the Cardinals game in relief of Vick (and holding off the Raiders in place of Big Ben.) That should be expected of a quarterback who has been in the Steelers system for multiple years, and it was evident when Landry started calling audibles and protection changes, that he was more capable of handling the offense than the ill-prepared Vick.

Again, this is not entirely Vick's fault, due to lack of time to learn Todd Haley's playbook: something that was a giant criticism of Roethlisberger's chemistry with Haley, during the offensive coordinator's first year in Pittsburgh. That's why I feel a year later, having been exposed to the Steelers system, Vick could be the best option to replace Gradkowski and provide veteran leadership and depth at the quarterback position.

I'm not endorsing bringing him back just trying to clear some things up about his time here..

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I don't care if Vick knew the playbook or not his throws were God awful. I think Landry is slightly better but not much. Vick is also fragile at this point so I think we should look elsewhere. I think Bruce would be OK, but since he never plays it's hard to say. I hope the steelers don't stick with the status quo here.

Steel G

Reaction score
Vick is done, forget him. He has only a fraction of his old speed left, he's fragile and he's a fumble machine.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't blame Vick for being a horrible QB and playing like **** last season. I blame our coaches for putting him in the game after Ben went down. Just a plain stupid move. They have had to have see he could not make any of the throws in practice.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Um, last year we brought in a rather dumb QB in Mike Vick, and he started over Jones. If Vick can learn the system, why can't soemone else in 2 weeks plus the practices? Please expalin You don't get it. I never said cut Jones now, but I'd certiany make some calls.

You started this stupid thread why exactly then? Nobody is going to be brought in to be our #2 QB at this point. No one. And no. I do not think half of the third string QB''s out there can come in and beat out Jones. Nor do I believe half the 2nd string QB''s can come in and beat him out just for the fact Jones knows our system and a new QB would have to learn it. With you being a past player/coach I would have thought this simple logic would not have gotten by you.

C

Clete

I don't blame Vick for being a horrible QB and playing like **** last season. I blame our coaches for putting him in the game after Ben went down. Just a plain stupid move. They have had to have see he could not make any of the throws in practice.

Yep plus the fact Vick is dumb as ****. Funny, Ryan Mallet was signed by the Ravens two weeks before he torched us, didn't need the 6 weeks Vick wasted waking and baking after we signed the POS>

P

POP

Yep plus the fact Vick is dumb as ****. Funny, Ryan Mallet was signed by the Ravens two weeks before he torched us, didn't need the 6 weeks Vick wasted waking and baking after we signed the POS>

Yup, I loath when the Steelers, and fans, trot out that powerfully lame excuse about "not knowing the system." Dak Prescott is a rookie, never mind new to the Cowboy's "system" and yet all he did was score the highest rating possible his first two games. Vick is dense. And, as you say, probably was baked all the time. He started off his career with off-the-charts athletic ability, but never developed a feel for the game. He tried to reinvent himself so he could replace the $100 million he lost due to kid dog killings, but it just wasn't in him to ever become a real QB who could read Ds and make NFL throws.

And guess what? We had no other options to sign Vick last season and we are right back where we were, because the Rooneys didn't want to get off their *** and find a viable back up, endlessly staying with the burning dumpster of Jones and Brucie instead of upgrading the unit.

papillon

Reaction score
Rogers and a 7th for Glennon

Papillon

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Why would you trade Rogers? I am not sold on wheaton and we are already missing Bryant. Rogers could become our #2 or #3 receiver.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade Rogers, I'm more apt to trade Wheaton. I think Rogers has more upside and already runs better routes.

papillon

Reaction score
Ok, Wheaton and a 7th for Glennon if they'll take it. At the end of the day the Steelers a more capable backup QB than Landry Jones, IMO. The backup needs to be able to win 1/2 the games that Ben misses provided it isn't more than 6 games. So, IMO, they need a guy that can win 2 or 3 games to keep the Steelers in the race while Ben recovers. If Ben sustains an injury that puts him on the shelf for more than 6 games the Steelers in all likelihood aren't going to be competitive (playoff competitive).

Papillon

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, Wheaton and a 7th for Glennon if they'll take it. At the end of the day the Steelers a more capable backup QB than Landry Jones, IMO. The backup needs to be able to win 1/2 the games that Ben misses provided it isn't more than 6 games. So, IMO, they need a guy that can win 2 or 3 games to keep the Steelers in the race while Ben recovers. If Ben sustains an injury that puts him on the shelf for more than 6 games the Steelers in all likelihood aren't going to be competitive (playoff competitive).

Papillon

I must be the only person on the board to think this but I believed Jones can win a few games for us if Ben would go down.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I must be the only person on the board to think this but I believed Jones can win a few games for us if Ben would go down.

When Jones started it was bad. I don't know if he can win games. The team would have to play exceptional and against a bad team. I do not see this team winning without Ben against a quality opponent unless the defense plays much better than expected.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
They may have to wait until the 30th when cuts are made and hope something shakes out.

Too bad they didn't try to pick up someone like Nick Foles when the Rams cut him.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Looks like Zach Mettenberger is on the outside looking in. Sounds like the chargers will only keep two and River and Clemons got those spots. There's an UDFA that should be offered a practice squad spot. That just means it's a matter of time before they cut Mettenberger. If it's early enough we could at least see him in preseason a little first.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Who exactly will Ben be throwing to if you trade Wheaton/Rogers? Bryant isn't here this year. DHB is a fourth option. Coates has struggled in game action. There isn't a starting tight end. Bell is out for three games. Zero chance they would even consider trading either and not something that makes sense to even suggest.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Mike Glennon. What would you trade to obtain him?

I take it most of us have seen him play. He's a very tall, not very mobile QB, however, he has a very good arm, and makes few mistakes.

On Tampa he was good enough to win games, or if you prefer seldom lose them. With Winston being the #1 pick, he's going to exit via free agency once his contract is up.

On our offense, he would get better protection, and IMO would be more productive as our skill players are superior to Tampa's by a good margin.

If ben is out a few games, it could cost us the playoffs as Jones isn't likely to win key games.

What would you trade to obtain Glennon?

I'd say Vince Williams and see if they accept If not Vince and a 5th or a 4th round pick and offer Tampa Landry Jones.

http://www.nfl.com/player/mikeglennon/2539275/careerstats