• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trade for a back up QB?

skline00

Reaction score
The latest performance by Jones sure makes you appreciate how good Charlie Batch was.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
The only point I can make about LJ, is the top receivers he was throwing to were Coates, Rogers, and JJ with Toussant as the RB, and he only had them for a quarter. He did much better when he had AB, Wheaton, Bell, Miller, and Bryant.

I'm not downplaying his poor throws last night, but 2 were off of athletic tips. It's just he's going to perform better when he has better talent catching the ball from him.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Landry Jones has proven that he cannot play in this league. He needs to be cut tomorrow.
Make it happen.
See the posts earlier in the week under the thread titled "Gradkowski has 'sizable' hamstring tear."

There are a bunch of possibilities.....But they don't need to wait to see the waiver wire (because anyone decent will be taken before the Steelers' turn in the pecking order).

They need to make a deal.

Actually, the Steelers have been cavalier about the backup QB situation for years. But given BR's age and injury history, time for them to get more serious about it.
...with Arizona...
wonder who we could get for Eli Rogers???
Jake Coker

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
The only point I can make about LJ, is the top receivers he was throwing to were Coates, Rogers, and JJ with Toussant as the RB, and he only had them for a quarter. He did much better when he had AB, Wheaton, Bell, Miller, and Bryant.

I'm not downplaying his poor throws last night, but 2 were off of athletic tips. It's just he's going to perform better when he has better talent catching the ball from him.

I don't know that the throws were all that bad to begin with. The first of the four int's was thrown poorly but the other three were more bad luck than bad decisions. I maintain that he is a marginal QB at best and is never going to be a pro bowl caliber athlete but he's not the worst either and he'll have to do for now, lest y'all want another knee jerk Vickish debacle.

I would think that a main goal for next year would be a young Ben 2 and not paying money we don't have for a pig in a poke.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He sucks. He's like a poor mans Mark Malone, and that's saying something. His wonderful performance coming in relief of Ben in the Bungles game last year was a one pass one interception that nearly ended the season for us. Ben comes back in post injury and drives the team down the field. Ben is better with 1.5 arms than this dickead is with two. I hate that ******, and I would have cut his *** 10 seconds after the playoff loss last year. **** him, oh, and **** Whiff Johnson while we're on players on the team I can't ******* stand.

Joe

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We have pretty good ILB and OL depth if we did decide to trade.

I think that Landry's performance just highlights how depedent we are on having threats out of the backfield to make this offense work. Put Bell in there and you see different defensive sets which makes the QBs job easier.

And when AB isn't out there defences can play to their scheme a bit better without having to worry about one particular guy. That makes our Offense look pedestrian and makes the QBs job much harder as no one is calling any of the rest of our WRs playmakers. They're OK but no one really fears them without AB in the mix.

Don't get me wrong - Landry is still not the answer but he's already proved that he is able to fill in when he has the weapons around him.

I am more concerned with our WR depth than I am back up QB.

Face it, Coates has been HORRID in the preseason games, the routes he ran last night were pathetic and he should KNOW better. He gave up on routes and he should KNOW better. He has not secured the ball and he should KNOW better.

I think he has Limas disease.......At this point Eli Rogers looks more like a NFL receiver than Coates does. He should be the #3 WR

This morning I heard one of the morning chuckle heads on NFLN say Mike Vick is a phone call away.

Puh-leeeeease.........Landry Jones outplayed Mike Vick last year in the regular season when the games actually counted.

Last edited:

black and gold apex

Reaction score
We all hear Coats is great in camp, look what he goes up against. He has shown nothing during the games except he seems lazy. Rogers showed Coates up big time . We have concerns seeing the type preseason Tomlin likes to run.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Landry isn't the ideal back-up QB and was bad last night but not as bad as the stats suggest.

It's no coincidence that he played better last year with starters during the regular season.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Yeah. We can trade for a quality back up. Because other teams want to give them up. Jones is our back up for this season. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it....but go ahead and start 10 more threads on it before the regular season starts with multiple trading options from your fantasy world.

There are some #3 QB's out there better than Jones. The player I suggested is Bryce Petty on the Jets. I doubt the Jets carry 4 QB's. They need to cut somebody,

There's also the possibility one of the primary backups is very unhappy and wants out. OR maybe an older veteran out of football who might come back. Hassleback?

So you see there are plenty of options.

Judging by the number of replies here and Landy Jones last game, its safe to say getting a better back up is top of mind.

I also would not put it past a team like the Bengals trying to take Ben out of the game with dirty play.

But Okay, if you're happy with Jones and 100% sure nothing can be done, that's your opinion,

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
There are some #3 QB's out there better than Jones. The player I suggested is Bryce Petty on the Jets. I doubt the Jets carry 4 QB's. They need to cut somebody,

There's also the possibility one of the primary backups is very unhappy and wants out. OR maybe an older veteran out of football who might come back. Hassleback?

So you see there are plenty of options.

Judging by the number of replies here and Landy Jones last game, its safe to say getting a better back up is top of mind.

I also would not put it past a team like the Bengals trying to take Ben out of the game with dirty play.

But Okay, if you're happy with Jones and 100% sure nothing can be done, that's your opinion,

Just start your next thread on the subject already. You can throw out all the names of 3rd stringers that you think are better than Jones but that is you just thinking. Facts sometimes are lost on you. No way we are going to cut Jones at this point. To bring in another guy that doesn't know our system is just laughable. Do I wish we had a better option? Sure. Again Jones is here as our number 2 guy. Period. So go start your next trade Jones thread.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Just start your next thread on the subject already. You can throw out all the names of 3rd stringers that you think are better than Jones but that is you just thinking. Facts sometimes are lost on you. No way we are going to cut Jones at this point. To bring in another guy that doesn't know our system is just laughable. Do I wish we had a better option? Sure. Again Jones is here as our number 2 guy. Period. So go start your next trade Jones thread.

Slow clap slow clap slow clap

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Bringing in a QB at this point will not have immediate benefits..he will not leapfrog Jones. We will have the same situation as last year..A QB who doesn't know the offense enough to properly execute it. We are ****** if Ben goes down no matter who we bring in or don't bring in. Which is why Ben's *** needs to stay on the sideline damn fans fuzzy pre season feelings

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I doubt if they believed Dustin Vaughan was going to make this team going into camp. Regardless of how he has "looked" he hasNT produced a point I don't think in four quarters of football. I think you might well upgrade him as a third on the waiver wire. If that player is better than Landry. Ok.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Just call Vick and get this **** show over with. Its clear we need to get a backup or future QB early in the draft next year or the year after if we can find a decent pickup.

Will have to watch the waiver wire and see if any QB worth a **** gets cut closer to the start of the season.

With this FO, I highly doubt they **** can Landry close to the season for someone who doesn't know our system even if that is the right thing to do.

The OL needs to stand tall this year and protect Ben at all costs.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Just call Vick and get this **** show over with. Its clear we need to get a backup or future QB early in the draft next year or the year after if we can find a decent pickup.

Will have to watch the waiver wire and see if any QB worth a **** gets cut closer to the start of the season.

With this FO, I highly doubt they **** can Landry close to the season for someone who doesn't know our system even if that is the right thing to do.

The OL needs to stand tall this year and protect Ben at all costs.

Vick was terrible as well. Thats like moving sideways at best. Also who knows what kind of shape Vick is in. Ideally we should look for a SMART veteran who can pick up systems, read defenses, and can manage games. Let our WRs do the work. We can not bring in a turnover machine.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Um, last year we brought in a rather dumb QB in Mike Vick, and he started over Jones. If Vick can learn the system, why can't soemone else in 2 weeks plus the practices? Please expalin You don't get it. I never said cut Jones now, but I'd certiany make some calls.

ark steel

Reaction score
If Vick can learn the system

Did he?

Too much may be made of "learning the system". When Ben got thrust into the starting role, he didn't know the system and they dumbed down the playbook accordingly. For a reasonably smart veteran, they would have to change the playbook, but could still rely on his experience to read defenses so they wouldn't have to dumb it down all the way. That relies on the OC understanding that someone other than Ben is under center though. Not sure Haley gets that or The Bruce before him.

P

POP

Did he?

Too much may be made of "learning the system". When Ben got thrust into the starting role, he didn't know the system and they dumbed down the playbook accordingly. For a reasonably smart veteran, they would have to change the playbook, but could still rely on his experience to read defenses so they wouldn't have to dumb it down all the way. That relies on the OC understanding that someone other than Ben is under center though. Not sure Haley gets that or The Bruce before him.

From what I have seen, I don't know if Vick ever learned any system he was in. All he learned was, drop back look at the prime target, if not open, run.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
That's not true Ark. Ben had more knowledge of the system because he went thru a full off-season with the team. Rookie camp, voluntary workouts mini-camps all those are vital. Vick came in and none of that.

P

POP

That's not true Ark. Ben had more knowledge of the system because he went thru a full off-season with the team. Rookie camp, voluntary workouts mini-camps all those are vital. Vick came in and none of that.

Vick has never learned a system, per se. He admitted as much after ATL stint. He admitted he winged it the whole time.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Vick has never learned a system, per se. He admitted as much after ATL stint. He admitted he winged it the whole time.

You have the link where he admits this

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Um, last year we brought in a rather dumb QB in Mike Vick, and he started over Jones. If Vick can learn the system, why can't soemone else in 2 weeks plus the practices? Please expalin You don't get it. I never said cut Jones now, but I'd certiany make some calls.

LOL..that is some funny *** stuff there.