• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin Rated #6 Best NFL Coach

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
dejan and rude dog are problably like ,,, wtf did I sign up for here? These guys are ********!

My money is on them sticking around, just like you and I both have done (despite all these ********) :)

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
dejan and rude dog are problably like ,,, wtf did I sign up for here? These guys are ********!

I disagree. What i see here is some real discussion. Who wants a board where everyone just agrees with everything, says every pick will be a star, every coach is a genius, every loss is just bad luck, etc.

The best part of this board is that there are real people here who have varied opinions. The culture of the board has always been to let people be raw and give a lot of leeway before deleting posts. If you want sanitized cheerleading, go to the official steeler board. If you want real opinions come here.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I disagree. What i see here is some real discussion. Who wants a board where everyone just agrees with everything, says every pick will be a star, every coach is a genius, every loss is just bad luck, etc.

The best part of this board is that there are real people here who have varied opinions. The culture of the board has always been to let people be raw and give a lot of leeway before deleting posts. If you want sanitized cheerleading, go to the official steeler board. If you want real opinions come here.

Agreed. If I'm Dejan, I'm looking at the discussions on this board and saying "I can use this". How? I don't know. But, I'm sure he'll be able to figure it out.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Since none of the supporters took me up and made the positive case for him, i'll give it a shot.

Tomlin inherited a great team, ready to win the Super Bowl. He was forced to keep Lebeau and others and was unable to make the team his own. This was either a smart move on his part by not messing with a good thing, or it ws mandated by the Rooneys. I think it was a bit of both.

You could make the case that Tomlin's hands were tied with this team and only now that Arians and Lebeau are gone, is the team truly his own. I disagree with that but i suppose you could make that argument.

Let's see what Tomlin does without Lebeau.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
For myself, I figure what's the point? We've been over the plus and minus points over and over. At this point, I'm more interested in seeing if there's a plan to fix the defense and if that plan will work. Because if there is, and it does, this discussion swings only one way. If there isn't, or there is and the plan fails, this discussion swings only one way.

By that, I mean, you're a good/great coach when when what you're doing is working and you're not when it it isn't.

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score
players that sign with NE sign for a ring. Not coin.

They know their chances are better with them. They get ring, go get coin...

We need to beat teams down, again....get MEN on the team that want to beat someone silly. Coach is decent, not great. Drafting is shady, need to have a direction for the team.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think he is much better than average, arrow up or down. This year will tell us a lot, he will be respon sible, for the point of the arrow. His team, his arrow. 8-8 average, 10-6 w/playoff spot above average, 11-5 n better deep play off SB win PRICELESS.

poick what yaz want, time will tell

Salute the nation

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
And you don't find it goddamned pathetic that seven of you held a circle jerk to celebrate this?

Makes you wonder who's to "blame" for all of that evil, malevolent GASP! football discussion GASP! that you're so upset about. Perhaps 70% of those 7-page threads are (1) old, tired memes from you and BAY and (2) sarcastic bullshit from Real Fans about Real Fandom, and why Jarvis actually looks pretty solid and an 8-8 is actually a pretty good season. Interspersed of course with Bermuda and Tibs doing their best to learn football as they go.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - I liked you better when you were a Christian in the God & Politics threads...

"...doing my best to learn football as I go..."

That's rich.

tdub88

Reaction score
That's right. If they go 9-7 and miss the playoffs that's still good,...another non-losing season. Check. That's the measuring stick..

Hell, some consider 8-8 non-losing. It's definitely not a winning season. That is not okay.

I say 2nd place is FIRST LOSER.

tdub88

Reaction score
players that sign with NE sign for a ring. Not coin.

They know their chances are better with them. They get ring, go get coin...

We need to beat teams down, again....get MEN on the team that want to beat someone silly. Coach is decent, not great. Drafting is shady, need to have a direction for the team.

The Steelers need to learn to cheat like they do. You can not tell me they aren't still cheating w/ the leftovers and that dink&dunk offense.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed. If I'm Dejan, I'm looking at the discussions on this board and saying "I can use this". How? I don't know. But, I'm sure he'll be able to figure it out.

See, this is where you just don't get it.

I'm pretty sure Dejan is lurking, following everything Coach opines on. Who wouldn't?

tdub88

Reaction score
I didn't write that old article about players wanting to play for Tomlin, but they asked players and they said he was the one.

To play for.

But did they want to win for him, or more importantly for the fans. There could be a difference.

Wingman

Reaction score
To play for.

But did they want to win for him, or more importantly for the fans. There could be a difference.
I guess lots of guys like the shorter season, makes sense to me eliminate a couple months of work for that big salary that is paid, what a deal.

SCSteeler4life

Contributor
Reaction score
To play for.

Who the hell plays anything and doesn't want to win. I don't know anyone that doesn't want to win. Even for the Tomlin haters that is a stretch.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

He might as well catch up with the guys on 93.7.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Who the hell plays anything and doesn't want to win. I don't know anyone that doesn't want to win. Even for the Tomlin haters that is a stretch.

I'll second that!!!!!!!! BUT, some here want to lose, so as to prove themselves right. Sick as it is, the want to win, their game.

Salute the nation

Wingman

Reaction score
I guess lots of guys like the shorter season, makes sense to me eliminate a couple months of work for that big salary that is paid, what a deal.

Maybe this needed to come with a sarcasm alert

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
6th is way optimistic. Mr Tomlin is a mid pack coach at best.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Wanting to win is for kids. Knowing what it takes, doing what it takes, and teaching and inspiring such is what a good coach does.

Xc944

Reaction score
All I know is the coach that finished first on the who players wanted to play for list were tomlin fat *** rex Ryan for three or four year span. During that span there wasn't much winning

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Wanting to win is for kids. Knowing what it takes, doing what it takes, and teaching and inspiring such is what a good coach does.

All I know is the coach that finished first on the who players wanted to play for list were tomlin fat *** rex Ryan for three or four year span. During that span there wasn't much winning

So, going to two Super Bowls and winning one is not "winning"? Also, his win percentage doesn't count? Or are we talking about that subset of Steelers fans that believes that unless you win it all it doesn't count?

I know the next argument will be that there hasn't been much winning "lately". Well, the latest result was an 11-5 regular season record. I would say there wasn't much complaining about that, but that would be a lie. And yes, I realize we got absolutely steam rolled in the playoffs. He's not the first Steelers coach that that has happened to and if he were fired he wouldn't be the last.

There are a lot of things that you could point at that Tomlin does wrong. Being a losing coach isn't one of them.

Wingman

Reaction score
So, going to two Super Bowls and winning one is not "winning"? Also, his win percentage doesn't count? Or are we talking about that subset of Steelers fans that believes that unless you win it all it doesn't count?

I know the next argument will be that there hasn't been much winning "lately". Well, the latest result was an 11-5 regular season record. I would say there wasn't much complaining about that, but that would be a lie. And yes, I realize we got absolutely steam rolled in the playoffs. He's not the first Steelers coach that that has happened to and if he were fired he wouldn't be the last.

There are a lot of things that you could point at that Tomlin does wrong. Being a losing coach isn't one of them.

give him time, that is all any coach needs

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
give him time, that is all any coach needs

True .. time is the great equalizer. And all coaches will go through periods of success and failure. It's how they respond to failure that makes or breaks them.

Someone brought up the comparison of Rex Ryan and Tomlin. You know what I saw when Rex experienced failure with the Jets? I saw a coach who was in over his head when it came to confronting his failures and putting together a plan to guide his team back to success. Maybe he didn't have the right FO/Ownership support to help, but that team has been a disorganized mess. At least with the "Tombert" regime, you can see the makings (or faintest outline) of a plan. They've put together one of the strongest offensive units in football to help keep winning while they revamp the defense.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
We will see how Mr Tomlin does as the last of the players he inherited from the Cowher retire. Player development is a great gauge of coaching ability. Right now I put that at John Gruden level. John Gruden did well with a team Tony Dungy built and then crapped the bed when he had to do it with his own personnel.