• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tom Jackson out At ESPN

Reaction score
Last time I turned ESPN on for anything other than a live sporting event they were still showing "jack'd up." Then they replaced it with something stupid so I just gave up on them. Now I only see it if it's on one of the TVs at my 'happy hour' tavern.

But I do remember specifically not hating Tom Jackson. I think he told us once on TV he was from Louisville.

Steelin

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh and Tom Jackson will definitely be missed. He was usually the sane voice in the group that would bring the others back down to earth.

steelrzgirl

Forefather
Reaction score
I think a lot of us middle aged and older folks have an affinity for Jackson when ESPN was our only source for sporting news. But now that Im reading this thread, does anyone watch ESPN anymore? I dont think Ive watched since that show "Cold Pizza" and that show was really bad.

P

POP

Well apparently its too hard for you to post a story.

Tom Jackson won’t be back at ESPN
Posted by Mike Florio on July 25, 2016, 9:50 PM EDT

The report from Bob Raissman of the New York Daily News that Tom Jackson will leave ESPN provided some wiggle room for the veteran analyst to return to Sunday NFL Countdown for what would be his 30th season. Multiple industry sources tell PFT that the decision has been made: Jackson won’t be coming back.

As one source explained it, ESPN’s decision to bring back Trent Dilfer after his contract had expired and it appeared he would leaving arose in part from Jackson’s decision to leave.

Jackson had long been regarded as being tied at the hip with on-air partner Chris Berman. With Berman reportedly entering his last year at ESPN, it’s somewhat odd that Jackson wouldn’t want to do a victory lap with Berman.

Unless, of course, that victory lap will be all about Berman and/or consist of Berman complaining about the fact that ESPN management has apparently nudged him out.

Do you think it's possible that they nudged him out because less and less of their viewers know/remember him as a player? I really don't but know he was a LB for the Broncos. I mostly thought that ESPN team had the most credibility of any channel covering the NFL. At least they don't spend 80% of the time creating a cacophony of mindless laughter like Fox and CBS. Sure, guys on ESPN laugh, but they don't go completely overboard with it.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Do you think it's possible that they nudged him out because less and less of their viewers know/remember him as a player? I really don't but know he was a LB for the Broncos. I mostly thought that ESPN team had the most credibility of any channel covering the NFL. At least they don't spend 80% of the time creating a cacophony of mindless laughter like Fox and CBS. Sure, guys on ESPN laugh, but they don't go completely overboard with it.

They do more than their fair share of that on ESPN, but I get your point. It's one of the reasons I am not always a fan of former players going on pregame shows like that. NFL Countdown is going to have a significantly different look next year:

Chris Berman
Randy Moss
Matt Hasselbeck
Charles Woodson

We'll see if Jackson stays or if a guy like Dilfer replaces his spot. I'd assume Trey Wingo will take over for Berman after he retires. It'll be interesting to see how the show is with so many new faces. Hasselbeck and Berman have the experience on ESPN and Moss has spent some time with Fox, but Woodson is being thrown right into the fire. Pretty good gig for just retiring.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I think a lot of us middle aged and older folks have an affinity for Jackson when ESPN was our only source for sporting news. But now that Im reading this thread, does anyone watch ESPN anymore? I dont think Ive watched since that show "Cold Pizza" and that show was really bad.

I don't even watch the pre game shows on CBS and FOX. It's been awhile since I've watched ESPN as well. NFL Network is bleh

IronMike52

Reaction score
Could definitely do without more Dilfer and Hasselbeck. Would have rather seen them keep Cris Carter around. As much as I like Tom Jackson, I do think there's something to be said for some new blood on Countdown, especially with Berman reportedly on his way out. Randy Moss is a good get for ESPN. I thought he was solid from what I watched of him on FOX last year.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Could definitely do without more Dilfer and Hasselbeck. Would have rather seen them keep Cris Carter around. As much as I like Tom Jackson, I do think there's something to be said for some new blood on Countdown, especially with Berman reportedly on his way out. Randy Moss is a good get for ESPN. I thought he was solid from what I watched of him on FOX last year.

I thought Cris Carter was good. I used to like listening to him on Mike and Mike when he'd come on for an hour or whatever. Dilfer isn't terrible but he isn't that good. I don't care for Hasselbeck. Is this the white Randy Moss or the receiver?

IronMike52

Reaction score
I thought Cris Carter was good. I used to like listening to him on Mike and Mike when he'd come on for an hour or whatever. Dilfer isn't terrible but he isn't that good. I don't care for Hasselbeck. Is this the white Randy Moss or the receiver?

This is Straight Cash Homie Randy Moss.

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score
Tom actually knew what he was talking about, many on that Disney **** channel do not.

Memoss, we will see if he remembers what he learned through the years. He was about himself, so I understand why they would bring him in.

Big Ben Rules

Reaction score
I don't no how people can not like Matt Hassleback all ready. when he even hasn't done a show yet. I think everybody is thinking of his brother Tim. now, i can't stand Matt the player. but i'll hold judgement until I watch him some this season.

P

POP

I don't no how people can not like Matt Hassleback all ready. when he even hasn't done a show yet. I think everybody is thinking of his brother Tim. now, i can't stand Matt the player. but i'll hold judgement until I watch him some this season.

In the stuff I have seen MH on, he didn't bother me. He seemed fairly insightful and brought a tad of humor, but not over the top like Fox.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
if youre gonna smh do it right View attachment 2514

Tape stated that others were out too. All were off the same demographic or skin color. I pointed it out. WHat are you smh about?

SMH at skin color always has to be a topic

I would love to see America for one month, stay away from black this or black that, white people, etc.

Steel Ballin

Reaction score
The old NFL Primetime with Berman and Tom was as good as it gets for a highlights show, but it's been dead for several years now. There's been nothing as good to take its place.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
SMH at skin color always has to be a topic

I would love to see America for one month, stay away from black this or black that, white people, etc.

I would too but you bet your *** they will be watched for who they hire and there will be complaints. I think Dilfer may be part of the show this year. It doesn't matter that he's an obvious choice and one of their best. I'll be shocked if ESPN is not criticized for having 1 less minority on the show.

I won;t be surprised if they squeeze a woman into an analyst role. There are lots of female sports reporters and hosts, but i have heard the complaint that there are not female analysts. Of course most analysts are former players but that doesn't matter to professional grievance industry.

ESPN did have a female analyst in their World Series coverage last year. Naturally, instead of finding a female who was a beat reporter for like 20 years, they hired a twenty something who seemed like a kid doing a book report.

Pregame shows have gone downhill. ESPN is half human interest stories now. I watch the fantasy pregame. The irony is that the fantasy show gives much more and better game info than the supposed real pregame show.

These pregame shows seem to have forgotten the reason why people watch the pregame. Because they want last minute info for their bets and now fantasy football. When it's a hour to kickoff, nobody cares that some backup LB is building community center in his hometown.

They care about knowing who will be the #2 target after Julio Jones on Atlanta or whether Matt Forte will get carries at the goal. Now you have to go to fantasy football sites to get that info while the supposed "serious" pregame yuks it up.

Wingman

Reaction score
Jackson will be missed by me he was talented and did a good job. The other guys were terrible in comparison. I don't care what color they were. As to watching the channel I have not for a long time since it became the patriots nut hugger channel.

tjack

Forefather
Reaction score
So Randy Moss and Trent Dilfer are in. I just hope they don't add Screamin' A. Smith to the group.

I was surprised to hear Cris Carter wasn't returning until I read one of those tabloid sports articles about the lawsuit that a former Make-up artist filed in court about the stuff that went on with the ESPN Sunday/Monday Football crew.