• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers draft Joshua Dobbs 4th round

ianv2012

Reaction score
Man the butthurt is strong, but I shouldn't have expected anything less. Amazing, wish I could have the ability to see a year or even an NFL career's worth of time into the future and know exactly how things will work out as some here seem to display.

xjx

Reaction score
He will be a nice practice squad player for a year. Overall a wasted pick.

Stewey

Reaction score
Except maybe for the brains part. Wright had a 16 on his Wonderlic.

Actually thought Dobbs would be higher with all of the "rocket scientist" banter, but he scored only a 29.

I don't know why so many are down on Dobbs Wonderlic,

He did quite well considering the average.. A 29 is above average for a QB.

Average scores....

Offensive tackle – 26
Center – 25
Quarterback – 24
Guard – 23
Tight end – 22
Safety – 19
Linebacker – 19
Cornerback – 18
Wide receiver – 17
Fullback – 17
Halfback – 16

NFL Teams prefer QB's score 21 or higher.

A 2005 study by McDonald Mirabile found that there is no significant correlation between a quarterback's Wonderlic score and a quarterback's passer rating, and no significant correlation between a quarterback's Wonderlic score and a quarterback's salary.[46] Similarly, a 2009 study by Brian D. Lyons, Brian J. Hoffman, and John W. Michel found that Wonderlic scores failed to positively and significantly predict future NFL performance for any position.[47] Donovan McNabb, whose 14 score[48] was the lowest of the five quarterbacks taken in the first round of the 1999 NFL Draft, had the longest and most successful career.[49]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic_test

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Man the butthurt is strong, but I shouldn't have expected anything less. Amazing, wish I could have the ability to see a year or even an NFL career's worth of time into the future and know exactly how things will work out as some here seem to display.
Overall I think the first three rounds were great. I don't know anything about the 3A DB but Watt and Conner are great picks and a strong chain moving possession receiver are exactly what this team needs. If Dobbs were taken in the fourth 4 years ago (hypothetically) great fine. Ben bluffed retirement but he has two possibly three years at most left. So you will be taking a QB sooner than later. Thing is that statistically you need to take one early. Most likely next year if you want him to be ready for the transition. What will you know about Dobbs at that point.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll hold off on proclaiming Prescott a great QB.. I remember when RG3 was going to be really good after his first year. Prescott was largely good because of their run game.

i seriously doubt we're going to see prescott turn out in ANY way like robert the fraud griffin, not really an apt comparison IMO

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
well, at least we got shazier a twin brother, right?

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I think he'll be able to learn the playbook fast. Crossing my fingers he's a great pick.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Overall I think the first three rounds were great. I don't know anything about the 3A DB but Watt and Conner are great picks and a strong chain moving possession receiver are exactly what this team needs. If Dobbs were taken in the fourth 4 years ago (hypothetically) great fine. Ben bluffed retirement but he has two possibly three years at most left. So you will be taking a QB sooner than later. Thing is that statistically you need to take one early. Most likely next year if you want him to be ready for the transition. What will you know about Dobbs at that point.

At the very least you'll know whether he's better than Laundry Jones.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
But at this point they know Jones is not a long term solution or probably even a bridge solution. He gets along with Ben and can spot start for two or three weeks which is all you need behind a franchise qb. Even if Dobbs plays well it will be against scrubs. No way to know if he could take over for Ben. You will be drafting a qb next year or year after anyway.

Mosh Pitt

Reaction score
Interesting article. I like his production under pressure and in the clutch. That´s what separates the good ones from the rest.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2017/4/20/15361900/joshua-dobbs-pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-draft

5. Overall, Dobbs was clutch as a senior.

The Vols started as 2016’s mystically good crunch-time team, BSing their way to 5-0 via wild luck, which then caught up with them in a hurry. That’s a fair way of looking at it.

Also fair:
Dobbs led all of this year’s draft prospects in 2016 second half passer rating.

His fourth quarter rating ranked No. 1 among all FBS QBs with 50 or more such attempts.

In the second half against Florida, he led four straight quick TD drives within eight minutes of game clock to secure UT’s first win over the Gators since 2004.

His four second-half TDs in the win over Georgia included a Hail Mary at the buzzer, countering UGA’s own long bomb from seconds earlier.

Two late INTs hurt at Texas A&M, but it was a big overall second half by Dobbs and Kamara that turned a 28-7 third-quarter deficit into double overtime.

He had the fifth-best under-pressure rating in the country, per Pro Football Focus.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to compare this years QB class with redzone proficiency. If anyone finds a listing please post it.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
He throws a great deep ball and can run around and extend plays... sounds like a worthwhileproject to me

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He throws a great deep ball and can run around and extend plays... sounds like a worthwhileproject to me

Didn't we have a kid out of Ohio come through here a while back??

Salute the nation

xjx

Reaction score
He might be a pretty good receiver....like Kordell was.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
From everything I have read his accuracy is his biggest downfall at the moment. Hoping some of that was because of his poor offensive line. Accuracy is not an easy fix but he seems to be a hard worker and will continue to do so. I think worse case scenario is he a reliable backup. But I feel this prevents us from drafting a QB until Ben retires (unless some crazy value drops) and in 2 years when Ben hangs them up Dobbs and a rookie probably fight it out.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I would abandon any thoughts of this guy ever being our starter. He is not an NFL starting QB and just don't think he ever will be. He will hang around a few years, get frustrated and get on with his life's work as he should. The world has bigger plans for Mr. Dobbs talents as an engineer than carrying a clipboard around.
We will need to draft our starter in round one in 2018
or 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited:

ianv2012

Reaction score
I would abandon any thoughts of this guy ever being our starter. He is not an NFL starting QB and just don't think he ever will be. He will hang around a few years, get frustrated and get on with his life's work as he should. The world has bigger plans for Mr. Dobbs talents as an engineer than carrying a clipboard around.
We will need to draft our starter in round one in 2018
or 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

The level of conjecture here has my head spinning